Author Topic: Thinkpad 701  (Read 13048 times)

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
Thinkpad 701
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 06 May 2010, 12:39:33 »
Disk media is supposed to have some type of description on it which the drive reads, preventing it going above the max speed for the disk. Not sure if this applies to reads or not, but I've found old disks will still keep new drives spinning slow. Reburning the content to a new, faster-rated disk results in reads from the new disk being at drive maximum.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline EverythingIBM

Thinkpad 701
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 07 May 2010, 01:05:10 »
Quote from: ch_123;179438
Am I actually seeing someone make a case for using slow optical drives?

I absolutely love my 10x CD drive. It's always quiet and runs so nicely (the only indication that it's actually reading anything is the light blinking and the funny skidding noise that sometimes occurs). I can't wait to put that sucker in a 300PL, right where it belongs. It's very long though.

The problem is, DOS games usually don't install all files to disk (like stonekeep), so when the dialog begins, VRRRRRRRM goes the new ultra fast CD drives. I think those games were made to run on quiet CD drives as not to interrupt your gaming.

Fans don't bother me that much, but CD drives I find to be one of the most annoying sounds. Probably because it's irradic.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Thinkpad 701
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 07 May 2010, 02:03:32 »
In this situation, the best thing to do is make an ISO image of the CD, and use something like VirtualClone Drive to run the game. This is also advantageous in that if the old CD was ever to become lost or broken, you'd still have a copy of it on your computer.

Offline EverythingIBM

Thinkpad 701
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 07 May 2010, 15:15:14 »
Quote from: ch_123;179724
In this situation, the best thing to do is make an ISO image of the CD, and use something like VirtualClone Drive to run the game. This is also advantageous in that if the old CD was ever to become lost or broken, you'd still have a copy of it on your computer.

I do make backups of my discs, and I actually have to use .BIN images instead of .ISO (due to the fact many of my games contain redbook audio via glass pressing, AND the digital game files). So, if you don't know the technical details behind older DOS games, I wouldn't go around blindly saying "make an ISO" because you'd either end up with only music, only the game, or a corrupt piece of binaries.

I've never lost any one of my games, and they're all in good working condition. I use the physical discs because it's easier to run on old machines with limited hard drive space and old OS.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT