Author Topic: New Job  (Read 4171 times)

Offline itlnstln

New Job
« on: Fri, 30 April 2010, 08:01:19 »
Well, I'm announcing my semi-retirement from Geekhack.  After a realignment here at work (this is good thing; nobody got laid off), I will be starting a new job on Monday after what was pretty much a paid vacation. I'll still be around popping in from time-to-time, but I probably won't be participating near as much as I used to due to actually having to do work now.  Since I didn't really contribute anything of value to this forum, perhaps the conversations will be of more value, if not cleaner language-wise.  Thanks, everyone, for putting up with my lame ass, and I'll see you guys around.

Don't worry, I'll still be posting dirty, senseless crap for the rest of the day.

Offline hyperlinked

New Job
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 30 April 2010, 08:21:17 »
Don't wory, you've got a gold mine of past posts for the rest of us to mine for quotes for another five years. ;)
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline itlnstln

New Job
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 30 April 2010, 08:51:02 »
Quote from: ripster;177506
So what else is new?  :biggrin1:

Oh, nothing.  It's a change management thing.  I just wanted to reassure the rest of the members that I'll transition out gradually, so the change will be less disruptive.

The only real bummer about the thing is that I was going to move into something completely different and something that I was genuinely excited about doing, but now I am doing more of the same in a different context.  I'm tired of tech work.  It's one of those things where I don't like what I do, but I'm good at it.
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 April 2010, 08:54:01 by itlnstln »

Offline wellington1869

New Job
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 30 April 2010, 11:21:41 »
Quote from: itlnstln;177497
Well, I'm announcing my semi-retirement from Geekhack.  

This is like Cheers losing Norm. GH just wont be the same. Wtf.

I probably won't be participating near as much as I used to due to actually having to do work now.

i think you've got your priorities backwards ;)

Since I didn't really contribute anything of value to this forum

that hasnt stopped any of us!

I'll still be around popping in from time-to-time

fwiw i'll be joining you in semi-retirement status after my two upcoming keyb reviews are done. (or in my case, re-retirement). but if xs can un-retire (and he's on a typewriter now!), i guess anyone can :)
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 April 2010, 11:36:45 by wellington1869 »

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
New Job
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 30 April 2010, 11:34:07 »
It's been such a long time
I think I should be goin', yeah
And time doesn't wait for me, it keeps on rollin'
Sail on, on a distant highway
I've got to keep on chasin' a dream
I've gotta be on my way
Wish there was something I could say

Appropriate, perhaps?

>
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">[/youtube]
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline o2dazone

New Job
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 30 April 2010, 12:00:56 »
welcome to the club :P

Offline itlnstln

New Job
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 30 April 2010, 12:54:49 »
Epic day today.  A new job I don't want to do (but I am happy that I am still employed), transmission problems with my car (but at least it's under warranty), and it's raining.  ****ing awesome.

Offline itlnstln

New Job
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 30 April 2010, 13:40:58 »
My real name is Jeff Croft.

Offline ironcoder

New Job
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 02 May 2010, 14:26:41 »
I had to come back to post in this thread in your honor, bud.

P.S. I don't believe you won't hang out here all day long. It may take you a few days, but you'll be back.
In the office: Filco 87 Cherry Browns x 2 (one with coffee damage, recovered) ● Lexmark IBM Model M 52G9658 1993 & 1996

Offline hyperlinked

New Job
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 02 May 2010, 14:40:01 »
Quote from: itlnstln;177569
My real name is Jeff Croft.

I thought that in order to be Italian your last name had to end in a vowel.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline ironcoder

New Job
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 02 May 2010, 14:49:59 »
He mean to type Jeff Croftoli but the "o" "l" and "i" keys on the keyboard in his new cube are already broken.
In the office: Filco 87 Cherry Browns x 2 (one with coffee damage, recovered) ● Lexmark IBM Model M 52G9658 1993 & 1996

Offline itlnstln

New Job
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 03 May 2010, 07:10:32 »
Quote from: ironcoder;178198
He mean to type Jeff Croftoli but the "o" "l" and "i" keys on the keyboard in his new cube are already broken.

Excellent.  It's funny about the vowel thing (and yes, my last name ends in a vowel).  In US, either due to name changes during immigration or broken US Italian, the vowel sound (especially "e") sometimes is not pronounced.  "Castiglione" is a name that gets absolutely butchered in the US.

Back on topic, it seems I may have found an "out" in my current predicament.  I found an awesome position in another department.  I put in my application this morning, and I have some good contacts in that dept.  I hope it works out.  It's time to start looking out for #1 again.

Offline ironcoder

New Job
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 03 May 2010, 07:40:31 »
Alright, keep up the good work and let us know how it turns out!

Offline wellington1869

New Job
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 03 May 2010, 08:24:57 »
Quote from: itlnstln;178407
In US, either due to name changes during immigration or broken US Italian, the vowel sound (especially "e") sometimes is not pronounced.  "Castiglione" is a name that gets absolutely butchered in the US.

i knew a guy who's family name was Rossiglioni when his grandfather arrived on ellis island and was Ross by the time he left ellis island. Apparently the immigration officials themselves back in the day would anglicize immigrant names as they came in.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline kriminal

New Job
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 03 May 2010, 08:32:17 »
you best be on, on the 15th :P
Geekhacked Filco FKBN87M/EB modified with Brown, black and blue cherries, doubleshot keycaps
Deck KBA-BL82 with Black cherries
Cherry G84-4100LCMDK-0 Cherry ML switches
Cherry G80-8200hpdus-2 Brown cherries
IBM Lexmark 51G8572 Model M Keyboard
Geekhacked Siig Minitouch KB1948
IBM Model M Mini 1397681

Offline itlnstln

New Job
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 03 May 2010, 08:47:10 »
PM me when you're ready.  I get e-mail notifications for PMs.

Offline itlnstln

New Job
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 03 May 2010, 09:45:22 »
Quote from: ripster;178454
But how cute are the female workers in the other department?

Better than here. That, and all of the women here are pregnant, too (weird how that works out, I think it's jealousy).  Hormone fest.

Offline ironcoder

New Job
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 03 May 2010, 09:52:14 »
Sounds like there's too much beer drinking going on in your office.

Offline itlnstln

New Job
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 03 May 2010, 09:56:21 »
This is Texas.  You lived here, you should know. ;)

Yes, there is too much beer drinking here.  In this case, though, this is "family-building" reason to have kids.  You know, the sappy-country-song reason.  I think one of the pregnancies was a jealous, attention-grab, though.

Offline ironcoder

New Job
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 03 May 2010, 10:10:52 »
That's some spirit of competition!

Offline itlnstln

New Job
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 07 May 2010, 14:25:02 »
It's been, what, a week?  I already have a(nother) new job that's going to be awesome.  The deal will be done at the end of the day.  I will be transitioning for the next few weeks and then on to the new office (and hopefully out of a cube, but probably not).

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
  • Board Chow EXTRAORDINAIRE
New Job
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 07 May 2010, 14:30:55 »
Quote from: itlnstln;179919
It's been, what, a week?  I already have a(nother) new job that's going to be awesome.  The deal will be done at the end of the day.  I will be transitioning for the next few weeks and then on to the new office (and hopefully out of a cube, but probably not).

Good lord! And I thought I switched gigs quick! =P
Perhaps the even-newerer (hahaa) job will allow you to keep your impressive presence here? =)
862+ keyboards and counting!   R.I.P.ster          Vendor link ->Clack Factory

Offline TexasFlood

New Job
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 07 May 2010, 14:58:12 »
Quote from: itlnstln;178464
This is Texas.  You lived here, you should know. ;)

Yes, there is too much beer drinking here.  In this case, though, this is "family-building" reason to have kids.  You know, the sappy-country-song reason.  I think one of the pregnancies was a jealous, attention-grab, though.

Not all the music from Texas is country.  And isn't beer a fertility drug? :lol:

Beer drinkers and hell raisers, yeah.
Uh-huh-huh, baby, don't you wanna come with me?
The crowd gets loud when the band gets right,
steel guitar cryin' through the night.
Yeah, try'n to cover up the corner fight
but ev'rything's cool 'cause bass is tight.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
New Job
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 07 May 2010, 15:01:29 »
I'm seeing them in June. Nice.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline itlnstln

New Job
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 07 May 2010, 15:26:48 »
Quote from: clickclack;179923
Good lord! And I thought I switched gigs quick! =P
Perhaps the even-newerer (hahaa) job will allow you to keep your impressive presence here? =)

"Impressive presence?"  More like "depressive."

Really the "new job" I had originally was really the same job with a new manager and new scope.  I never really "changed" positions.  This will be an all-new job with a new manager in a new business unit in a new office in a different part of town (same company, though).  This position is pure data analysis instead of the quasi-programming/DBA/anything-we-can-find-for-your-punkass-to-do-now.  Although, this will probably mean that I will be more busy but in a better, more rewarding way. I'm excited; mainly because I will be going back to the main office where they have a full, healthclub-quality gym.

Offline itlnstln

New Job
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 07 May 2010, 15:40:34 »
Jager bombs!!!

NSFW, f' real.
>
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385">
[/youtube]
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 May 2010, 15:42:37 by itlnstln »