Author Topic: GON Skinny Review!  (Read 348 times)

Offline Alfred96

GON Skinny Review!
« on: Tue, 09 October 2018, 02:45:03 »
I would like to start by saying that GON's customer support during this entire experience was incredible! When my PCB had issues after soldering (which was later isolated to a problem in controller), he offered me a discount on a new PCB, which he had absolutely no obligation to do! furthermore, his shipping was incredibly fast, getting from South Korea to Connecticut USA in just two days!

This all began when I decided to invest in a new Korean keyboard. After browsing the vast information stored within geekhack I was eventually convinced to try out GON's services. After pilling together a full shopping cart, I took the leep.

This board has become my daily carry board for a couple of reasons. For one it is extremely light, weighing in at a bit over .6 pounds! Moreover I chose the hard anodization feature for the "case" which is more durable against scratches, and I can say has done a great job so far doing just that. Lastly, with a quieter switch like MX browns I can just lay this board across my laptop and use it in public settings without getting too many looks :p.

When I first thought about buying this I had doubts about the value of minimalism and if it was really worth the $250 odd dollars it cost me to build the keyboard from parts GON provided.The design of the Skinny is obviously minimal, utilizing a single bent piece of aluminum it shouts "I'm the kind of person who pays more for less." But seriously, it looks good, and in reality really separates itself from the rest of the designs on the keyboard market. When I first saw it I immediately compared it  to the  wireless apple keyboard which is similarly small and stylish.However, after installing the black nerd 60 PCB that I bought as part of the recent group buy it really gained a new beauty that made it very different from anything else I have encountered. One downside of this design however is that because of how light it is and how little contact it makes with the surface it is sitting on, it tends to slide. To fix this I applied some foam tape to the bottom of the PCB and that was effective enough to solve the issue.

Online blighty

Re: GON Skinny Review!
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 09 October 2018, 21:53:55 »
I don't think anyone who has been on this site for awhile wants anything to do with GON and his failure to ship products.  He had a vendor forum here, but his silence on these issues and not shipping (some) some paid for items for years, if at all, helped get him bumped...   

Here are some links to other's feedback:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=83542.50

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/7wgee0/why_do_people_think_gon_is_so_bad/

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/4zwig4/gon_keyboard_works_where_are_our_keyboards/

EDIT:  if "alfred96" had actually read up on GON via geekhack, he never would have ordered from him.  LOL

« Last Edit: Tue, 09 October 2018, 21:55:49 by blighty »
LZ ergo (MX silent red) | Duck Lightsaver V2 (MX red) | Duck Octogon V2 (gateron clear) (lifted pads) | Duck Orion V2 (gateron red) | Realforce R2TSLA-US4-IV | Realforce R2TLSA-US4-BK | TX 75 (gateron clear) | KBDFANS 75 ("vintage" MX blues) | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (MX red) | NIZ 84EC-S (35gr) | MS Surface Ergonomic | MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX black | Phantom (Filco case) ("vintage" MX blacks | Spr1t 75% PCB x 2 (MX black and gateron clear) | Cherry G80-1865 (MX browns with black springs)

Offline wholypantalones

• git push, git paid
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 09 October 2018, 22:30:10 »
After browsing the vast information stored within geekhack I was eventually convinced to try out GON's services

Hi-laaar-ious.  :))

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • boi oh boi
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 12 October 2018, 23:02:55 »
I see you GON you ain't slick :rolleyes: