Author Topic: USB adapters suitable for Model M  (Read 5043 times)

Offline aegrotatio

USB adapters suitable for Model M
« on: Sat, 01 May 2010, 21:05:31 »
I have a huge collection of Model M keyboards and I only recently found this forum, so I think this tidbit may be of note.  The best USB adapter that I have found is branded "Hawking" and is probably sold under many other names.  Besides having solid performance on power-hungry keyboards it also has keyboard shortcuts for Sun Workstations which rightfully suggests that this adapter is more than your generic OEM clone adapter.

Anyway, if you're having trouble with Model M keyboards on USB and don't want to spend $20, try to find these Hawking brand adapters.  This is an adapter with a USB cable and a keyboard and a mouse cable.  Here it is with Prime for $12 out the door.
http://www.amazon.com/Hawking-HU2PS2-USB-PS2-Adapter/dp/B00008V9EF
Daily Drivers: Ducky DK1087XM || DSI ASK-6600 || Rosewill RK-9000 BL, BR, BL, and RE || ABS M1 || Das Keyboard Silent || HHKB Lite and Lite 2 || DSI Big Font (kids love it)
Yearning for: Any ALPS keyboard || Any tenkeyless mechanical keyboard
Permanent collection: Poker Blue and Brown || Adesso MKB-125B || SIIG MiniTouch Geek Hack Space Saver || Chicony 5181 Monterey Blue || Chicony 5191 Clone Cherry Blues || Key Tronic 3600 || Unicomp Endurapro & SmarTrex || A crate of IBM Model M and Model M Space Saving boards || NeXTstation Slab || Amiga 3000 || BTC-5100C black and beige || SIIG MiniTouch Plus black and beige
Retired collection: SIIG MiniTouch Monterey Blue || Razer BlackWidow

Offline aegrotatio

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 01 May 2010, 23:34:45 »
Quote from: ripster;177977
Take a look at the USB dongle wiki entry.

I'd be a bit concerned about this Amazon review.

I know, but having used these for so long, I have to recommend them if you want to give it a try.  I have experienced that problem but not with Model M and only on Linux.
Daily Drivers: Ducky DK1087XM || DSI ASK-6600 || Rosewill RK-9000 BL, BR, BL, and RE || ABS M1 || Das Keyboard Silent || HHKB Lite and Lite 2 || DSI Big Font (kids love it)
Permanent collection: Poker Blue and Brown || Adesso MKB-125B || SIIG MiniTouch Geek Hack Space Saver || Chicony 5181 Monterey Blue || Chicony 5191 Clone Cherry Blues || Key Tronic 3600 || Unicomp Endurapro & SmarTrex || A crate of IBM Model M and Model M Space Saving boards || NeXTstation Slab || Amiga 3000 || BTC-5100C black and beige || SIIG MiniTouch Plus black and beige

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 02 May 2010, 02:42:13 »
I'm not sure if the Hawking PS/2 to USB is any good:

(there are so many things wrong in that picture)...
Ratty Ratzinger is blessing Hawking's intel computer thing.

OBAMA TO SAVE HAWKING:

He'll save hawking like he saved the united states bankruptcy and GM... oops.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 02 May 2010, 03:49:15 »
Quote from: aegrotatio;177994
I know, but having used these for so long, I have to recommend them if you want to give it a try.  I have experienced that problem but not with Model M and only on Linux.

I think people would rather buy a cheaper adapter (blue cube) that has been proven to work under all conditions...

Except if you want to use an SGI AT-101, then you need the Belkin adapter.

Offline Half-Saint

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 02 May 2010, 04:21:34 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;178023
I'm not sure if the Hawking PS/2 to USB is any good:
Show Image

(there are so many things wrong in that picture)...
Ratty Ratzinger is blessing Hawking's intel computer thing.

OBAMA TO SAVE HAWKING:
Show Image

He'll save hawking like he saved the united states bankruptcy and GM... oops.

Just like Gordon Brown.... oops!
IBM Model M (6) - Acer Alcatel 6312-KW - IBM Model M Space Saver - IBM Model M 122-key - Cherry G80-3000 (2) - IBM Model F AT - TG3 BL82A (2)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 02 May 2010, 04:26:12 »
At least the pope didn't call Hawking a bigot afterwards.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 02 May 2010, 11:15:09 »
Quote from: ch_123;178043
I think people would rather buy a cheaper adapter (blue cube) that has been proven to work under all conditions...

Verdict's still out on this one. It's currently my mission in life to prove it doesn't work with something that it should.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 02 May 2010, 14:36:30 »
Quote from: kishy;178147
It's currently my mission in life to prove it doesn't work with something that it should.

I noticed the blue cube only gave 5-key rollover instead of 6 when I used it on an old Honeywell keyboard (full n-key rollover via PS/2). :violin: I don't know if it's the cube or the keyboard to blame.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 02 May 2010, 15:21:25 »
Does anyone know if the chip in the blue cube actually does support multiple devices? Would be interesting to see if the stability issues with other models stem from the additional components, if any, required to provide the mouse interface.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline aegrotatio

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 03 May 2010, 22:11:26 »
Quote from: ripster;178215
The Cypress datasheet link is in the Wiki.  It's probably just a better designed chip.  Happens.  Ask Intel.

Is this the blue cube adapter or a functional equivalent?
http://www.cyberguys.com/product-details/?productid=4850

Offline Stevie Wonder

• http://www.steviewonder.net/
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 03 May 2010, 22:52:45 »
Yes.

Blue.

Cube.

Y'all know I'm just picking on the Sighted Folk.  No disrepect.