Author Topic: Eton FR500 Emergency Radio $27 on Amazon  (Read 3140 times)

Offline hyperlinked

Eton FR500 Emergency Radio $27 on Amazon
« on: Wed, 05 May 2010, 14:22:41 »
NewEgg had a Shell Shocker the other day for a refurbished Eton FR300 for around $35 last week. It's an emergency radio with a hand crank to let you power the unit which includes a radio, flashlight, emergency flasher, and a cell phone charger adapter.

I have one of these and really wanted a backup radio so I almost got one from NewEgg, but it turns out you can do a lot better than $35 for an Eton FR300. A seller on Amazon is selling the Eton FR500 for $27 which has the following:

• AM/FM Radio
  • Shortwave Radio
  • Weather Radio Stations
  • Solar Charging Panels
  • Better Flashlight
  • More rugged construction
  • Digital Station Tuning
  • Clock with Snooze, Emergency Wake, and Normal Alarms
  • Hand crank power
  • Built in USB and Mini-USB ports for cell phone charging
I was hesitant to pick one up because it was a little too cheap, but I got three of them and there seems to be nothing bad I can say about it. The only downer is that the reception is tricker than the older models because the antenna is shorter and fixed in position, but everything else is better. The reception isn't bad. You just have to work to find a spot to put the radio if you're trying to tune into a weak station. It seems to consume more power than my FR200, but the solar charging works well and it has good sound for a portable radio.

It's a good pick-up if you need a US emergency radio. The white model is the one going for $27. The others are between $40 and $80. I guess people don't want to be caught dead with an unfashionable emergency radio.

Eton FR500 Solarlink on Amazon
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 06 May 2010, 19:31:30 »
This reminds me of when a tornado knocked out power at my place for a week just last year in CT(it leveled my backyard). I used my old Sony Watchman and a digital converter box powered by a UPS to get in the weather.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Nonmouse

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 06 May 2010, 21:58:29 »
One thing I've never understood about these hand-cranked radios and especially flashlights- why a freaking crank?  It requires two hands to operate (one for the device, one for the crank), on an item that you're presumably using during an emergency.  You know, when having a a hand free might be nice.

I've (very) rarely seen one with a squeeze lever, allowing you to hold the item and charge it at the same time- which seems to make, oh, roughly infinitely more sense.  Why in god's name isn't that the standard?  [/rant]

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 06 May 2010, 22:07:16 »
You realize that the good ones don't require continuous cranking to operate, right?

They have batteries which are charged by the crank generator, and then run for however long.

Chances are if it's a) an emergency and b) you presently need both hands, you have bigger problems than can be solved by hearing the weather forecast.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline bitflipper

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 06 May 2010, 22:32:04 »
The DT-400W costs a little more, but has the NOAA channel. And it's yellow. OK, maybe the yellow is not a plus.

Offline Nonmouse

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 06 May 2010, 22:37:52 »
Quote from: kishy;179685
You realize that the good ones don't require continuous cranking to operate, right?

They have batteries which are charged by the crank generator, and then run for however long.

Chances are if it's a) an emergency and b) you presently need both hands, you have bigger problems than can be solved by hearing the weather forecast.

Yeah, I got that- and when the batteries start wearing down when you're halfway down the rain-washed culvert?  The fact that they held out for however long before that doesn't help you when you need one hand to steady yourself, one for the light and one to crank it...  A squeeze bar you just... squeeze.  And really, do you think everyone (even a majority) make sure it's kept fully charged or that the batteries haven't degraded from storage?

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 06 May 2010, 22:47:29 »
Quote from: bitflipper;179690
Show Image

Hah, 100.7 is a local classic rock station. That'll save you when the apocalypse comes :)

Quote from: Nonmouse;179691
Yeah, I got that- and when the batteries start wearing down when you're halfway down the rain-washed culvert?  The fact that they held out for however long before that doesn't help you when you need one hand to steady yourself, one for the light and one to crank it...  A squeeze bar you just... squeeze.  And really, do you think everyone (even a majority) make sure it's kept fully charged or that the batteries haven't degraded from storage?

Alright, so let's suppose the crank design is absolutely dumb (I don't think it is because I think the uh...leverage? that the length of the crank handle affords permits greater results for a given effort). Show me an example of a device which uses this squeeze method...I've honestly never seen such a thing and don't see how it could be implemented.
kishy.ca

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 06 May 2010, 22:48:43 »
You can put regular batteries in this thing if you want and the solar panels work pretty well.

It's supposed to be able to play continuously at low volume if it's getting solar energy, but I haven't tried draining the battery to test this yet.

The FR250 that I have plays for 30 minutes on 90 turns. I've played that unit for around 90 minutes on a couple hundred turns of the wheel before. This one isn't quite so much of a power miser supposedly though.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline Nonmouse

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 06 May 2010, 23:27:15 »
Quote from: kishy;179692
Hah, 100.7 is a local classic rock station. That'll save you when the apocalypse comes :)

Alright, so let's suppose the crank design is absolutely dumb (I don't think it is because I think the uh...leverage? that the length of the crank handle affords permits greater results for a given effort). Show me an example of a device which uses this squeeze method...I've honestly never seen such a thing and don't see how it could be implemented.

Summat like this:

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 06 May 2010, 23:41:53 »
Quote from: Nonmouse;179699
Summat like this:
Show Image

That isn't what I thought you were describing...I will agree however that this actually looks like a better idea because it is one-handed. It'd probably more fatiguing because of the effort you exert to get the same rotations of the generator, but it being only one handed adds a touch of versatility.

Quote from: ripster;179701
spanking the monkey

I prefer shocking it.

>
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">[/youtube]
kishy.ca

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 06 May 2010, 23:43:31 »
Quote from: ripster;179696
People in Texas have NO sense of humor.
Hah, I'll have to ask my niece if she saw that.  Heck, knowing her friends, they could have done it.  I hope not though as computer hacking/access laws are nothing to screw with any more, but didn't have the teeth in days gone by.  Semi-innocent indiscretions of youth that some of us may have gotten a slap on the wrist for in the old days can earn you leg irons and long stretches behind bars these days,:ballchain:.

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 07 May 2010, 00:00:21 »
Quote from: ripster;179701
There's the shake-it ones too.  Looks like you're spanking the monkey though.
Reminds me of this exercise commercial. "Designed specifically for women". Ahem.
It still cracks me up. Search youtube for "shake weight video parady" for added chuckles.
>
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">[/youtube]
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 May 2010, 00:30:37 by TexasFlood »

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 07 May 2010, 08:55:35 »
Quote from: Nonmouse;179699
Show Image

Sooo... that works for a flashlight and could work if you had a small radio, but how does it fit on something like this?

Yeah, you need two hands to crank it, but I don't think this thing was meant for your Indiana Jones cliffhanger moments when you want to groove on some tunes while you're hanging off of a bridge with one arm.
-

Offline Nonmouse

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 07 May 2010, 09:34:37 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;179768
Sooo... that works for a flashlight and could work if you had a small radio, but how does it fit on something like this?

Yeah, you need two hands to crank it, but I don't think this thing was meant for your Indiana Jones cliffhanger moments when you want to groove on some tunes while you're hanging off of a bridge with one arm.

Two points- 1) it'd fit just fine in that handle on top 2) I did mention that it was the flashlights that especially bothered me.