Author Topic: Seriously, if you have "nice" keycaps on Kailh BOX switches, take them off NOW  (Read 2049 times)

Offline Harshparker

When people started talking about issues with broken and stretched keycaps from BOX stems, I thought it was going to be just another overblown non-issue. Well, I'm pretty convinced it's a serious problem now.

After seeing a few recent posts, I decided to test the GMK keycaps I've had on a BOX board for a couple weeks. Even without very much use, my GMK set is noticeably looser on other switches, and one of the caps has a cracked stem. A PBT set I've had on BOX switches for several months seems to be fine. I'm not saying you're safe with PBT, but at least in my experience, it's ABS that's most susceptible.

I know Kailh was not aware of this issue, but I"m still pretty annoyed. It would be one thing if you could just replace the damaged items, but a lot of these sets can't be replaced for any reasonable sum. I'm just happy I took my GMK caps off before the damage got too bad. You should take yours off, too. This goes for everything based on the BOX design like IC Hako and NovelKeys switches.
https://downloader.vip/the-pirate-bay/ PutLocker https://appsync.biz/123movies/
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 November 2018, 09:22:47 by Harshparker »

Offline Peripheral Prophet

• Where its HAWT.....
When people started talking about issues with broken and stretched keycaps from BOX stems, I thought it was going to be just another overblown non-issue. Well, I'm pretty convinced it's a serious problem now.

After seeing a few recent posts, I decided to test the GMK keycaps I've had on a BOX board for a couple weeks. Even without very much use, my GMK set is noticeably looser on other switches, and one of the caps has a cracked stem. A PBT set I've had on BOX switches for several months seems to be fine. I'm not saying you're safe with PBT, but at least in my experience, it's ABS that's most susceptible.

I know Kailh was not aware of this issue, but I"m still pretty annoyed. It would be one thing if you could just replace the damaged items, but a lot of these sets can't be replaced for any reasonable sum. I'm just happy I took my GMK caps off before the damage got too bad. You should take yours off, too. This goes for everything based on the BOX design like IC Hako and NovelKeys switches.

My understanding is that the v2 switches dont have this issue... Are you saying you are having this issue with the new box switches or the old version?

Offline whiffysole

As far as I'm aware it's only the old design that damages keycaps. I have some box Navies that I use on my SpaceCat Launchpad that will crack or stretch any keycaps you put on them, and these switches are the old design.

Offline HotRoderX

I am still personally not convinced the switch stems were the issue. The reason, i say that is simple people in smaller numbers still reported issues after the revised stem's were released. The ones that were he same dimensions as cherry stems. This leads me to think the issue isn't just the stims but also the keycaps were at fault.

• Where its HAWT.....
The switches definitely were a factor, they had plastic nibs to make the dimensions thicker, where as far as i know, has since been revised.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
Got my fingers crossed that the Stemshaver makes it to GB status. Box switches are the best Cherry-compatible design ever.

Offline duckboi

I am still personally not convinced the switch stems were the issue. The reason, i say that is simple people in smaller numbers still reported issues after the revised stem's were released. The ones that were he same dimensions as cherry stems. This leads me to think the issue isn't just the stims but also the keycaps were at fault.

Its not the keycaps.

Theres a reason why other switches do not have this problem.
The m0ar empty you feel,  the m0ar space for Keycaps..
[https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=97203.0]

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • too many ideas, not enough money
    • hineybush keyboards

obviously gmk needs to fix their age old tooling that has worked perfectly for many years

Offline kawasaki161

obviously gmk needs to fix their age old tooling that has worked perfectly for many years
^This man gets it. He's so smart he should be a maker or something.

Offline HotRoderX

can you prove that? I mean majority of people most likely put keycaps on a board and ever check them. Other then in cases were caps completely broke with out question. How many people would have honestly noticed stem issues to start with? I bet the majority never noticed it honestly.

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • too many ideas, not enough money
    • hineybush keyboards

can you prove that? I mean majority of people most likely put keycaps on a board and ever check them. Other then in cases were caps completely broke with out question. How many people would have honestly noticed stem issues to start with? I bet the majority never noticed it honestly.

I've owned ~8 GMK sets and have had them exclusively on Cherry or Gateron stems with 0 issues ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline duckboi

Why was this SUDDENLY an issue once box switches started popping up? And just about unheard of before this instance.
The m0ar empty you feel,  the m0ar space for Keycaps..
[https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=97203.0]

Offline Sup

Kinda late for a PSA. When the warning was out for months now :confused: .
Thinking what i should do in the future - I no longer fear the scooter hitting my ankle Allure Clan

• Where its HAWT.....
Kinda late for a PSA. When the warning was out for months now :confused: .

Yeah, you almost cant do a search about kailh box switches without the search yielding forum links about them damaging stems..  I found it out accidentally when researching them..  Shouldnt still be a surprise, besides at this point I believe they have retooled the current available stems to the new tolerances, basically just a hiccup in the kailh box switch story but I think they have a bright future ahead of them either way..

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire

Why was this SUDDENLY an issue once box switches started popping up? And just about unheard of before this instance.

I can attest to it, I heard the snap when I put one keycap on my box switch and ever since then it's been looser than rest of the key.

Though luckily so far it's only 1 key.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden