Author Topic: MEM 3d printed modular ergonomic mouse, teensy 2.0 and pmw3360 sensor  (Read 13402 times)

Offline iso

Re: MEM 3d printed modular ergonomic mouse, teensy 2.0 and pmw3360 sensor
« Reply #150 on: Sun, 04 August 2019, 11:48:40 »
I had some failed prints because of faulty belts/bearings and I decided to split the model to minimize failures and alow the users with smaller printers to use the model.

Update:

1. New base - Basically I only added the holes to reduce printing time and holes for the hand support/shell + finger cluster
2. Split the hand support in 2 pieces, main hand support and finger cluster.
3. Moved the round navigation buttons to make it easier to reach

Used M3 flathead screws to attach the hand support and finger cluster, printed at 0.3, Filament looks diff colors but is because of the light, same dark gray-blue roll.
The sensor case is the same, not attached, the file can be found on previous posts.
The print looks rough, this new phone camera does weird things, sharpening the edges, in reality is smoother.

All models are high poly.

Offline Capsmiths

• Capsmiths
« Reply #151 on: Fri, 16 August 2019, 16:07:18 »
Have you tried printing any of these with Shapeways? They have a bunch of new plastics/finishes that could almost take this close to production.

Offline praxis87

« Reply #152 on: Fri, 16 August 2019, 19:19:04 »
Have you tried printing any of these with Shapeways? They have a bunch of new plastics/finishes that could almost take this close to production.

I haven't actually had any of it printed... but I did get quotes back in February from 3dhubs and shapeways.  It seemed prohibitively expensive to me at the time (compared to what I could print it for myself).  I am considering having just the hand piece professionally printed in nylon on a SLS machine (or possibly on the little resin printer I just got once I get it dialed in) after I test fit my re-drafted parts. 

The real issue with this as a production product is the sheer variability in the size and shape of peoples' hands.  I think that the only reliable way to overcome that problem would be parameterizing the hand piece.  If someone could figure out getting that part into openscad or making a clojure project for it, I think that would be doable.
Dactyl-Manuform 5x6 | 1984 IBM Model M | Anne Pro 2 | Sweet16 | MEM-AR v9

Offline iso

« Reply #153 on: Fri, 16 August 2019, 21:40:47 »
Injection molding is the only thing that can take this to production, and have at leat 7 sizes/presets for people to choose from, other than that is gonna stay very low production semi-affordable 3d printed versions. Electronics alone are over $40. IMHO you cant produce this in small quantities and sell it for less than $120+.

Offline Capsmiths

• Capsmiths
« Reply #154 on: Fri, 13 September 2019, 11:51:40 »
Injection molding is the only thing that can take this to production, and have at leat 7 sizes/presets for people to choose from, other than that is gonna stay very low production semi-affordable 3d printed versions. Electronics alone are over $40. IMHO you cant produce this in small quantities and sell it for less than $120+.

Not sure if the production volume needed for injection molding is there though. Especially with that number of sizing variants. SLA/SLS printing for the handpiece feels like the way to go, they get very close to injection mold quality.

With a semi-professional printer like the Form 2/3, the material cost would be around $10-15 per handpiece (Probably 12 hours to print  :eek: but a great starting point)

Offline praxis87

« Reply #155 on: Fri, 13 September 2019, 12:56:12 »
Not sure if the production volume needed for injection molding is there though. Especially with that number of sizing variants. SLA/SLS printing for the handpiece feels like the way to go, they get very close to injection mold quality.

With a semi-professional printer like the Form 2/3, the material cost would be around $10-15 per handpiece (Probably 12 hours to print  :eek: but a great starting point)

Funny that you should mention that...

Offline Capsmiths

• Capsmiths
« Reply #156 on: Sat, 14 September 2019, 14:42:25 »

Funny that you should mention that...

Awesome! The grey looks great.

What printer did you use?

Offline praxis87

« Reply #157 on: Sat, 14 September 2019, 15:00:21 »
Awesome! The grey looks great.

What printer did you use?
The gray is Phrozen ABS-like printed on an Anycubic Photon S.

This is mouse #2.  Most of it is from the files I posted back in July.  It's been in service as my work daily driver for about a week now.  So far, the resin pieces are holding up.