Author Topic: [IC] Uni660 wireless split by Sirius (Updated Features & Layout Poll)  (Read 6684 times)

ReverbSlush, 1Raku and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline linyaofred

Re: [IC] Uni660 wireless split by Sirius (Updated Features & Layout Poll)
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 19:38:24 »
would like to make the layout like this.
two types of PCB with different mod keys, and with the same case.
all come with split backspace.

Thanks for keeping Option A.

May I ask once more for some space before the arrows? I guess I can solve it myself by omitting the control_right. Id prefer to feel a distinct left edge with my index finger.

space before the arrows in a 660-layout is a little strange IMO.

Offline rjchatfield

« Reply #101 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 02:10:16 »

May I ask once more for some space before the arrows? I guess I can solve it myself by omitting the control_right. Id prefer to feel a distinct left edge with my index finger.

Yeah at first it is weird. I think it will make for a better typing experience though.

Maybe its fine for a 60% kb or smaller, but for such a lovely layout like this one, it needs these small details.

It is roughly the same gap as the far left (between the control_left and the F-keys). And its a similar gap to my tenkeyless (which would make a comfortable transition for other buyers too).

I like the modifier placement which weve settled on, but this is almost a deal breaker. Please prototype it for yourself and see.

* rjchatfield puts on his `Hat of Understanding`

Im pleading my case because its my own strong preference. But there are other buyers who might think otherwise. Is there anyone else that feels strongly about having the arrows flush against the right_control?

The other thing to consider is that you wanted to use the same case for both PCBs which means I need to convince *everyone* that the gap is a must have (which it totally is ). That would leave you with the R1 of:

Left:  |1.25|1.25|1.25| 2.25 | 1 |
Right: | 2.5  |1.25|1.25|1.25| |arrows
Right: | 2.75 |1.25|1.25| 1 | |arrows
Right: | 2.75 |1.25| 1 |1.25| |arrows

First option might be too difficult to get spacebars for?

But what does everyone think?

Offline Koatl

• Kozahtli on reddit, etc.
Re: [IC] Uni660 — wireless split by Sirius (Updated Features & Layout Poll)
« Reply #102 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 11:27:59 »

I understand the appeal, both aesthetically and for more efficient typing, but I've never needed that space nor found it beneficial.

The spacing makes right side 1.25 (x3) look much better, which I like a lot, but it limits options. If I understand this correctly, we'd be stuck with 2.25 | 1.25 (x3) on the right side as anything else would look awkward or simply wouldn't fit. In the image linyaofred posted, there is a 2.25 and (3) 1.25, for a total of 6u available space. So the latter two options you posted for the right side won't actually fit.

If we want left side to be consistent with right side we'd stuck with 1.25 (x3) | 2.25 | 1u, which means two 2.25 keys as spacebars. That might be a problem. To accommodate the 2.75 bar we'd have to use 1.5 | 1.25 | 1.5. Who knows, that may work for some people. But it would feel imbalanced to me. Even though I do feel it looks pretty good.

Personally I liked linyaofred's prior layout best. 1.5 | 1.25 | 1.5 | 2.75 on left, 2.25 | 1.5 | 1.25 | 1.5 on right. With separate holes in PCB for option of 1.25 (x3) | 2.25 | 1u on left and 2.75 | 1.25 (x3) on right. I think this creates the best versatility and functionality to accommodate the biggest range of preferences.
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 January 2019, 14:03:09 by Koatl »
☷☴☲☱☶☵☳☰

Offline RacerK1

« Reply #103 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 15:31:58 »

This is exactly what I would want.

Offline Keebmeupscotty

« Reply #104 on: Thu, 31 January 2019, 10:08:22 »
I just realized that the right shift is also 2.25. This would mean no base kit I'm aware of would have enough shifts. Any chance of having a split right shift option as well? I think a 1.25u and 1u there would get us down to 2 2.25u and 1 2.75 in a best case and would allow base kits to fully cover the layout.

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
« Reply #105 on: Thu, 31 January 2019, 20:00:11 »
What are you thinking for a price point at GB?

Offline Little4Real

« Reply #106 on: Fri, 01 February 2019, 05:13:45 »
Li-ion battery compartment (Adafruit battery, etc...) and USB charging/connectivity and it's a go for me.

Offline oldcat

« Reply #107 on: Fri, 01 February 2019, 12:47:30 »

No idea yet, but Sirius is working to reduce the price as much as possible, without sacrificing the quality
$ Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/oldcat87/
$ ALF Studio Discord: https://discord.gg/NHYnp8g
$ Gray Studio Discord: https://discord.gg/s99eys2

Offline linyaofred

« Reply #108 on: Fri, 01 February 2019, 19:42:38 »

By the way, the price of UniGo66 is $350.

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
« Reply #109 on: Fri, 01 February 2019, 21:04:27 »

By the way, the price of UniGo66 is $350.

Is that the same keyboard as this one?

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #110 on: Fri, 01 February 2019, 22:31:05 »

Yeah at first it is weird. I think it will make for a better typing experience though.

Maybe its fine for a 60% kb or smaller, but for such a lovely layout like this one, it needs these small details.

It is roughly the same gap as the far left (between the control_left and the F-keys). And its a similar gap to my tenkeyless (which would make a comfortable transition for other buyers too).

I like the modifier placement which weve settled on, but this is almost a deal breaker. Please prototype it for yourself and see.

* rjchatfield puts on his `Hat of Understanding`

Im pleading my case because its my own strong preference. But there are other buyers who might think otherwise. Is there anyone else that feels strongly about having the arrows flush against the right_control?

The other thing to consider is that you wanted to use the same case for both PCBs which means I need to convince *everyone* that the gap is a must have (which it totally is ). That would leave you with the R1 of:

Left:  |1.25|1.25|1.25| 2.25 | 1 |
Right: | 2.5  |1.25|1.25|1.25| |arrows
Right: | 2.75 |1.25|1.25| 1 | |arrows
Right: | 2.75 |1.25| 1 |1.25| |arrows

First option might be too difficult to get spacebars for?

+1 for the spaced off arrow cluster. As someone who has tried most of the layouts out there long-term, I must say this is a godsend for anyone who uses the arrow keys often, especially for coding. Even in the case that you don't, it is pretty helpful to have a physical barrier to the arrow keys to help with homing, especially when using a split board. I personally like the aesthetic, but that's just an opinion.

Offline Koatl

• Kozahtli on reddit, etc.
« Reply #111 on: Fri, 01 February 2019, 23:58:32 »
I just realized that the right shift is also 2.25. This would mean no base kit I'm aware of would have enough shifts. Any chance of having a split right shift option as well? I think a 1.25u and 1u there would get us down to 2 2.25u and 1 2.75 in a best case and would allow base kits to fully cover the layout.

Yeah that's a good point. Didn't realize that myself.

Anyway I'd be down to get this board in pretty much any of the latter layouts suggested. Spaced arrows or not.
☷☴☲☱☶☵☳☰

Offline oldcat

« Reply #112 on: Sat, 16 February 2019, 16:04:17 »

Yeah that's a good point. Didn't realize that myself.

Anyway I'd be down to get this board in pretty much any of the latter layouts suggested. Spaced arrows or not.

I think the votes were probably dominated by aesthetics. Now compatibility comes into the picture, some tweaks can be done to enhance that.
$ Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/oldcat87/
$ ALF Studio Discord: https://discord.gg/NHYnp8g
$ Gray Studio Discord: https://discord.gg/s99eys2