Author Topic: [IC] Satisfaction 75 - 75% Keyboard w/ OLED Screen and Rotary Encoder  (Read 13358 times)

omgkittiesyay, HTN47, rondg, skelath1, hndle and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline upas

I'm Upas, the owner of the soon-to-be launching keyboard store Cannon Keys (more on that soon, keep your eyes open!) Some of you might know me from the Luddite group buy I ran earlier on reddit. I've been working on a custom keyboard for the past few months. I started it as a passion project for myself, but I've shown it to a few folks, and there seems to be interest, so I've decided to run an IC. I call it the Satisfaction 75. Everything from the PCB to case was designed by me.

Renders: Tesletron

IC FORM: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfWTgOMbWs8jrn2GxJXsQXw7wFdeXDO3Gk6r4goVjbGYREM_w/viewform?usp=sf_link

Why the name? Well, I wanted to make a board I could use with GMK Calm Depths - I really wanted a Navy Blue keyboard case. As such, I thought I should lean nautical for the name of the keyboard. As my store's first group buy, I also wanted it to be at least a little related to "Cannons".

The Satisfaction was Pirate Captain Henry Morgan's (the same Captain Morgan from the rum) flagship. Pirates participated in naval warfare, so they used cannons. The curve in the back of the case is supposed to be reminiscent of a pirate ship. And throughout this whole development process, I've had a lot of satisfying moments. I hope to share that satisfying feeling with you!

In terms of the layout - I've noticed there aren't a ton of 75% customs for some reason compared to the number of 60, 65, and TKL layouts. Personally, I like having both the escape and ` key, but don't want a TKL, so I decided to make a 75%. The offset arrows are definitely inspired by the CA66 - I just think it looks great. The separation also makes the arrow keys easier to find. The OLED screen was inspired by the Hadron v3, and uses a lot of the great code that Ishtob wrote to make that a reality.

I'll start with a list of the planned features:
  • OLED Screen
  • Real time clock
  • Rotary encoder with really nice knobs
  • VIA Configurator Support and Powered by QMK
  • STM32 ARM Microprocessor
  • South facing backlight LEDs (single color)
  • "Burger" o-ring top mount plate
  • 6 degree slope
  • Aluminum Top and Bottom, FR4 or Brass plate, Brass weight
  • Right side USB-C

Layouts:

Colors:
  • Aluminum case - Undecided, but navy blue will be one of them
  • Brass - Should be available in a chrome/silver finish as well as your typical brass/gold finish. Not sure if I'll offer PVD, Sandblasting, etc. That is all to be determined.
  • FR4 plates - Blue, Red, Green, White, Yellow, Black can all be done, with MOQ of 10.

I plan on offering extra PCBs and extra plates during the GB.

Now I'll elaborate on some of the key features:
  • OLED Screen - There is an OLED screen that displays which mods are active, which layer is active, and what locks are set. It also shows what the rotary encoder will do, and provides clear feedback when you change the rotary's behavior. It also ties in heavily with the next feature:
  • Real Time Clock - To my knowledge, no one has put a clock on their keyboard yet. While it's far from a game changing feature, the OLED display will also show the current date and time. Furthermore, it will persist even when you unplug your keyboard.
  • Rotary encoder with nice knobs - This board will come with a rotary encoder which supports infinite turning and also has a press function. It can be toggled to control volume, screen brightness, backlight brightness, and mouse scrolling. It can be toggled by pressing Fn + The rotary encoder, and VIA support for encoder configuration is also planned.
  • VIA - It's awesome, and this board will have it
  • STM32 ARM Microprocessor - I chose to use the STM32F072CBT6 for this board. It has more flash space than the typical atmega chips used in most customs. Again, to my knowledge, no one has made a production board using this chip. It's definitely been a challenge to build out support, but I'm excited and satisfied with the feature set this board now has.
  • "Burger" mount - The plate never has to touch the top case - it touches an o-ring instead. You can change the hardness of the o-rings and tighten/loosen some screws to slightly change the feel of your board.

Current Status:
The board is currently not feature complete. I've been making iterative design changes to the case to deliver the best product possible. At the same time, I've also been working on the QMK side of things, trying to finish all the features. VIA support isn't built out yet, and VIA itself doesn't support rotary encoders, but I am working on it.
I have more ideas to potentially implement as well.

I have run a single one-off manufacturing of an early design, which proved incredibly useful. Hopefully the next round will nail it, but I'll continue to iterate until it's what I would consider perfect.

Expected Price:
I can definitely keep this under $400. The cheaper the better. The price honestly depends on how many people are interested, but has a $400 ceiling for sure.

I have a ton of people to thank, without their help none of this would have been possible. I'm sure I'm missing a ton of people here as well:
  • Ishtob - For the Hadronv3, the OLED idea and code, and just being incredibly friendly, supportive, and helpful all the time
  • Tesletron - Holy crap these renders are amazing. Excited to be working with you!
  • ai03 - For your help with PCB design, and your amazing guides
  • hiney - BURGER MOUNT
  • pngu - For showing me your examples and giving me the confidence to get my own one off
  • yiancar - My brother in ARMs trying to get more different ARM chip support into QMK :)
  • Wilba/Olivia - VIA is the greatest
  • Peioiris- Thank you for showing me that the f0xx series is a viable option
  • #kb-design - Too many people in here to name who I've received great help from

EDIT: (1/20/19)
Some updates:
  • I'll probably be adding ISO support to the PCB - it will require considerable effort on my part, but it's worth it.
  • A 3d printed 2nd round prototype will be arriving next week. I hope to have a build done with it next weekend, so you can see the updated design. A machined prototype will follow after, or another 3d printed one, if the design has to be revised considerably.
  • I don't plan on adding hotswap support, per key RGB or RGB underglow, or adding an acrylic diffuser. I will add breakouts for RGB underglow so that you can add strips if you'd like. All those features will add cost, and I personally don't care about them, so I'm going to leave them out.
  • Mill max sockets will be supported though, of course, so if you really wanted hotswap, you could get it that way.
  • I don't plan on adding any further bottom row support. The WKL option right now is 1.5/1.5/7/1.5/1.5. It's symmetric and gets rid of the win key. Blockers are very unlikely

(1/30/19)
  • The 3d printed prototype of the 2nd revision has arrived. More edits will be necessary, but we're addressing smaller and smaller issues
  • I spent some time updating the PCB - it now supports ISO. There is still no plan to run ISO plates in the GB, but a universal DXF of the plate will be released
  • Development on the case is kind of halted as it is Chinese New Year and factories are closed
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 January 2019, 22:24:17 by upas »

Offline upas

Re: [IC] Satisfaction 75 - 75% Keyboard w/ OLED Screen and Rotary Encoder
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 11:40:50 »
I'll use this post for prototype pictures.

There is an album of extra renders available here:
https://imgur.com/a/zx6fvwB

Thanks so much to Tesletron for these great renders!

I also created an early prototype. The design has changed a bunch since this point, but in case you want to see:

(The knob now has a specific spot, a littler higher up, and is shaped to be knob specific. I wanted to make the knob optional at first, but it's just better as a builtin requirement).

(There are blockers in the F row now instead of empty gaps)

(This plate was simply polished - there is no other finish on it)

Currently, the bottom is very simple. But I have something cool in mind. It'll go with the name of the board. It's Stainless Steel in this prototype, but could also be brass.

I made some videos with the first prototype:
Encoder behavior Demonstration 1:

OLED/Encoder Demonstration 2:

Typing sounds:

Here is the second prototype:
Under good light:

(The gaps you see for the plate are just there for the 3d print)

Under not so good light:

Note the knob is off center. This is because I didn't measure properly and put the encoder footprint in the wrong spot on the PCB.
That has been fixed.

In terms of case design, we're pretty much finalized, other than minor details which will make the case easier to machine, and don't matter to the aesthetic.
Notice there's a gap for the knob now above the right side 3 extra keys. Also notice the added blockers on the F row.
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 February 2019, 20:30:32 by upas »

Offline upas

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 11:40:58 »
Questions and Answers:

Q: How hard would it be to program or get working? Do I need a good amount of knowledge in the area to do anything meaningful?
A: It will come with firmware programmed and working. You will not have to worry about progamming it, but it runs QMK so you can if you want to. If you want to change the keymap easily, you'll be able to use VIA to do so.

Q: Will the PCB support ISO so I can order my own custom plate?
A: The PCB currently doesn't support ISO. If it seems there is a lot of demand for ISO, I can add it.
A: UPDATE - The PCB now supports ISO, so you can order a custom plate.

Q: Any weights design in mind?
A: Yes, right now it's very simple, and it might stay that way, but depending on cost I have an idea I would like to try.

Q: Is the rotary encoder mandatory?
A: Yes. At first, I wanted it to be optional, but it looked bad, so now it's mandatory. Don't worry, it will be satisfying to use.

Q: Hotswap?
A: No

Q: What are the knobs gonna be?
A: Brass knobs in silver, black, and gold will be available. Plus maybe some special ones...

Q: What does the knob do?
A: The knob has multiple modes, and the mode is shown on the OLED screen

Fn+Knob press changes the knob mode

Here are the modes and their behaviors:
Abbreviation - Full name - Clockwise/Counterclockwise/Press
VOL - Volume - Volume Up/Down/Mute
MED - Media - Next Track/Previous Track/PlayPause
SCR - Scroll - Mouse Wheel Down/Mouse Wheel Up/Mouse Wheel Press
BRT - Brightness - Brightness Up/Brightness Down/Nothing
BKL - Backlight - Backlight Intensity Up/Down/Toggle breathing
CLK - Clock Set - Increase selected number (hour or minute)/Decrease selected number (hour or minute)/Toggle hour or minute (Clock gets saved when you leave this mode)

The default knob behavior can be set in VIA

Q: Can you add X feature to the knob?
A: I will add suggested features that I find useful, but only if they don't require any additional software on the computer. (This means, no notifications, no volume meter, etc. - if you're unsure, feel free to ask)

Q: Can I get the OLED screen in my favorite color?
A: The OLED screen will be offered in white and blue only.

Q: Will you add bluetooth?
A: There are no plans to add bluetooth.

Q: Will you offer aluminum plates?
A: The current plan is just to offer brass and FR4, plate files will be released for those who want others.

Q: Why did you add a cut under spacebar on the plate?
A: I wanted the force distribution to be even under the spacebar so regardless of where you hit it, it would sound the same.

Q: Do you have those cool displacement graphs for your plate like Windeh?
A: Yes, they are here: https://imgur.com/a/E2ctUR3 . This is super imperfect because the switches and PCB do affect a lot, and this is done using consistent force across the whole plate, which isn't really how you transfer force to keyboards. And I don't think they mean much. But if you want them, here they are.

Q: What about blockers?
A: The 1.5/1.5/7/1.5/1.5 layout is supposed to be for WKL. I'm not going to offer blockers, it will make the GB more expensive and more complicated.
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 February 2019, 17:03:00 by upas »

Offline Lbibass

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 11:43:32 »
This looks absolutely fantastic. Great job with the design, I've enjoyed watching it progress. :D

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 11:43:56 »
This is really unique. I love it.

Offline dimo

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 11:46:23 »
How hard would it be to program or get working? Do I need a good amount of knowledge in the area to do anything meaningful?

Offline upas

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 11:46:55 »
How hard would it be to program or get working? Do I need a good amount of knowledge in the area to do anything meaningful?

It will come with firmware programmed and working. You will not have to worry about it.

If you want to change the keymap, you can use VIA to do so.

Offline dimo

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 11:47:35 »

It will come with firmware programmed and working. You will not have to worry about it.

If you want to change the keymap, you can use VIA to do so.

That sounds great! I’ll definitely be in then, this is really cool.

Offline packman86

• AKA Morning Coffee
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 11:52:54 »
This looks really nice!

Add WKL blockers and I am very interested!
TGR Alice | TGR 910 | TGR x Singa UNIKORN 60 | LZ CLS s h x | Duck Jetfire | TX-CP | QXP | RAMA M60-A

Offline upas

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 12:01:02 »
This looks really nice!

Add WKL blockers and I am very interested!

I don't have blockers planned - you'd really only get one on the left side - but if there is a lot of demand, I might consider it.

Offline clik_clak

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 12:03:03 »
Very cool design! Only thing I would change is blockers to separate the F row. The spacing in between is weird.

Offline upas

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 12:03:56 »
Very cool design! Only thing I would change is blockers to separate the F row. The spacing in between is weird.

That is fixed in the next revision of the prototype. The renders show the up to date design. The prototype was an old version.

Offline tiydal

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 12:05:56 »
Looks lovely! watching the thread.

Offline tex_live_utility

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 12:10:13 »
Very satisfying  :thumb:

Offline gideon

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 12:13:20 »
Very interesting design. Would love to see a wkl blocker too and I am not sure about the rotary. Unless it can be implemented flawlessly, it may do more harm than good. If you can make it optional that would be best. Any weights design in mind ?

Offline _ODIN_

• Figth for honor!
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 12:18:16 »
Will the PCB support ISO so I can order my own custom plate?

Gesendet von meinem H8416 mit Tapatalk

Offline upas

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 12:22:56 »
Very interesting design. Would love to see a wkl blocker too and I am not sure about the rotary. Unless it can be implemented flawlessly, it may do more harm than good. If you can make it optional that would be best. Any weights design in mind ?

At this point, the rotary is going to be mandatory. It will be implemented in a very satisfying way.

When my 3d printed 2nd prototype arrives, I will try to take a video showing it off.

Offline upas

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 12:26:36 »
Will the PCB support ISO so I can order my own custom plate?

Gesendet von meinem H8416 mit Tapatalk

At the moment, the PCB doesn't support ISO.

I can add ISO support to the PCB if there is enough demand.

Offline equalunique

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 12:33:32 »
Okay this is epic

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 12:36:20 »
Yes, more boards with my favorite layout!

Offline clik_clak

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 12:36:55 »

At this point, the rotary is going to be mandatory. It will be implemented in a very satisfying way.

When my 3d printed 2nd prototype arrives, I will try to take a video showing it off.

Awesome! The renders look great!

Any chance to add hotswap to pcb as well?

Offline funderburker

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 12:43:16 »
Looks good and love seeing this type of 75% The renders look great and good luck with the GB. :thumb:
unbuilt 🐸 | 2x TMO50 FE (some day)

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 12:54:19 »
I really like it overall.  I think the knob would be easier to use if it was separated from the keys in it’s own cutout though.  Without that your fingers would hit the key below it accidentally unless the knob is really tall.

Online Vigrith

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 12:57:05 »
This is amazing. I mean it. Good job, everything from its unique features to the design to the layout and the blocker/staggers that make it look like a 1800 more than a 75%, it's just all around very good.

Offline Anaconda

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 13:17:07 »
Iso support for the pcb would be appreciated. Also i think the round part should be straight myself but if the theme is a pirate ship then i guess it makes sense. Also the tolerances for the knob need to be good otherwise it will look ugly. Looking forward to this!

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 13:18:17 »
That's soooo unique. Consider me in alread, the rotary thing + screen on a 75% is epic.

Please just keep THESE LAYOUTS! (1.25x3 +6.25). To bad for iso people, but i would like to keep it ANSI, i don't like cheese plates.

Brass would be appreciated! Brass pvd Knob?  Brass plate option pls

« Last Edit: Sat, 19 January 2019, 13:23:29 by KaosJ »

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 13:19:46 »
Very cool,  (excuse me if you already said this above) will the entire assembly be on one PCB?

Offline vpr

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 13:24:04 »
I like what I'm seeing for the most part. I think the corners in the top left and top right have a weird look to them when viewing them head on because there is a weird gap caused by the side profile curve and the bottom stand.

Offline vosechu

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 13:27:00 »
Please tell me you are planning on sourcing a compass artisan for the rotary knob!

Also, this is beautiful! Well done!

Offline LeoShi

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 13:33:10 »
very interested in this. Cool design

Online hndle

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 13:35:00 »
very interesting

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 13:36:42 »
Please tell me you are planning on sourcing a compass artisan for the rotary knob!

please this

Offline GSV-CargoCult

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 13:50:01 »
Looks gorgeous!  Shame about the lack of ISO for me.

Offline travwal

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 14:00:36 »
This is unique! I'm really interested

Online Anakey

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 14:16:41 »
if pcb could be iso and plate files released so that ISO plates can be cut then there would no no need for more cuts in the plate.

Offline gideon

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 15:06:54 »
Will the rotary dial be aluminium as well? It is going to be a pity if it come out as some cheap plastic. Can the edge profile of the dial be the same as the board profile. I reckon the dial my look weird to be so rounded compared to the board's edge profile.

Offline Xynerorias

• Lubin' with glicerin
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 15:30:07 »
Oh, my god. That is seriously awesome, this looks really nice and is very unique I love it! Definitely count me in!

Online dhb82

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 15:49:42 »
I really like this, well done. Too bad about no ISO support for us in the EU, but what can you do. May you succeed with your endeavours.

Offline qq

• Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - L.d.V
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 16:35:59 »
This board has my satisfaction of both design and hardware specs  :eek:.

Would it be an option for a custom (brass/alu?) badge instead of an OLED screen? Don't get me wrong, I would love to have the ability to customise the screen but concern its replaceability.

I'm not a hardware guy, but to have a real-time clock, I assume you have to have the battery (like CR2032), right?

Have you considered the usb port cutout being tighter?
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 January 2019, 16:45:10 by qq »

Offline NRbigfoot

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 16:38:57 »
This looks really cool, looking forward to see how it progresses

Offline upas

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 16:54:52 »

Would it be an option for a custom (brass/alu?) badge instead of an OLED screen? Don't get me wrong, I would love to have the ability to customise the screen but concern its replaceability.

I'm not a hardware guy, but to have a real-time clock, I assume you have to have the battery (like CR2032), right?

Thank you :)

A badge could be an option, I guess. I wasn't planning on it, so I think OLED is the way to go.

In terms of replacability, the OLED screen is a $2 component with 4 leads. Its quite easy to desolder and put in a new one. I wouldn't be so worried about it.

There is a battery - it's a CR1025.

The USB port could be tighter if it extruded from the PCB. But I really wanted the port to be deep, as if a cannon could come out of it, following the pirate ship theme.

Offline upas

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 16:56:31 »

Compass artisan knob you say... 🤔

Offline Owl-

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 17:03:12 »
It looks fantastic. For the OLED screen, please make it raised higher on the PCB so it matches or looks close to the render. The prototype makes the screen look kind of like a deep well IMO.

Apart from that, I'd seriously love and pray if you would support this bottom layout!

I'm all about uniformity with the bottom row. This is also a great option for anyone looking out for WKL with blockers.

Online rondg

« Reply #43 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 17:19:35 »
Will the LCD always be lit? I think it should have a sleep mode or something like that...

Offline qq

• Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - L.d.V
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 17:22:43 »

A badge could be an option, I guess. I wasn't planning on it, so I think OLED is the way to go.

In terms of replacability, the OLED screen is a $2 component with 4 leads. Its quite easy to desolder and put in a new one. I wouldn't be so worried about it.

The USB port could be tighter if it extruded from the PCB. But I really wanted the port to be deep, as if a cannon could come out of it, following the pirate ship theme.

:thumb:

Offline upas

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 17:39:16 »
It looks fantastic. For the OLED screen, please make it raised higher on the PCB so it matches or looks close to the render. The prototype makes the screen look kind of like a deep well IMO.

Apart from that, I'd seriously love and pray if you would support this bottom layout!
Show Image

I'm all about uniformity with the bottom row. This is also a great option for anyone looking out for WKL with blockers.

The OLED screen will be higher on the PCB - about 2 mm from the top of the case. It is slightly inset, but that's by design. I'm continuing to refine the design to make the OLED work in a satisfying way.
In terms of more layouts, I think the only one I am planning on adding is ISO. If its easy to add the additional one, though, I can do it.

Will the LCD always be lit? I think it should have a sleep mode or something like that...

It has a sleep mode. It's always on when you are using the keyboard, but goes to sleep on idle.
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 January 2019, 17:41:46 by upas »

Online MoarCoffeePlzzz

• Formerly Deeptek
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 18:25:19 »
This is one of those boards that could be truly amazing.. The fine tuned things like the logo and the rotary knobs are going to make it or break it for me.. Will there be more iterations of prototyping? Will you be prototyping the knobs?

Online Starston3

« Reply #47 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 18:49:39 »
In for one. Maybe transparent oled screen option?

Offline swangful

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 19:02:35 »
awesome design, i could do without the little cannon branding but thats just nitpicking
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ giff keps

Online rondg

« Reply #49 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 19:05:33 »
I think it would also be amazing if the knob is positioned at the side, right or back (where the USB is) so that we still have 4 keys at the right instead of 3. No idea though how hard it will be to implement.
But as it is, still awesome.  ;D

Online otanishock

• コンパクトレイアウト
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 19:06:31 »
Great design. Would love to see and try out the prototype at the next Boston meetup!

Edit: Is the knob be fully programmable via QMK as well?
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 January 2019, 19:10:06 by otanishock »
DC60 | Tofu 65 | TGR Jane V2 | Keycult No.1/60 | Keycult No.1/65 | CA66 | TGRxSINGA UNIKORN 60 | Kyuu | Cospad 24 | Duck Orion V3 | Space65 | Modern M0110 | Koyu | Leaf60

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #51 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 19:14:02 »

That could be an option. I would probably buy both, the standard one wtih OLED and the extra brass badge, especially if there would be custom engrave on it! :)

Offline upas

« Reply #52 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 20:06:03 »
Great design. Would love to see and try out the prototype at the next Boston meetup!

It will be at the next Boston meet up :)

The knob will be fully programmable in QMK. The default behavior for the button will be configurable in VIA.

Offline upas

« Reply #53 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 20:07:25 »
This is one of those boards that could be truly amazing.. The fine tuned things like the logo and the rotary knobs are going to make it or break it for me.. Will there be more iterations of prototyping? Will you be prototyping the knobs?

The Cannon logo is going to stay - unfortunately that's something I'm not willing to take off, and I think it's subtle enough to not be a big deal. It's not an audacious branding like some of the customs I've seen. On top of that, I think it works well with the design of the board. I can elaborate if pressed.

I will continue to iterate until I think the design is perfect. I've purchased a ton of Knobs to see which ones work best, and will also likely prototype some custom knobs.
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 January 2019, 20:26:31 by upas »

Offline Walkerstop

« Reply #54 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 20:40:14 »
This looks amazing, I love it!

Offline vikipedeer

« Reply #55 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 20:55:01 »
good god the 75% I have been looking for
naiseeee
Current board:KBD75V2, Whitefox, Time TKL

say yes to bacon overlord

Offline kokugatsu

« Reply #56 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 21:01:59 »
looking forward to seeing more prototypes

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 21:07:01 »
So in! Great work upas!

Clock/screen is a killer app for me. Rotary knob is a killer app for me too.

The little canon logo is gorgeous. I have a semi.

Would it be possible to program the rotary knob to be linked to pageup/pagedn depending on the direction of rotation? That'd be so cool and precise way to move up/down when browsing long documents/data sets (which I do a lot of personally, sadly - with both hands on keyboard, it's a pain moving right hand back to mouse scroll wheel).
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 January 2019, 21:17:42 by mrpetrov »

Offline equalunique

« Reply #58 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 21:51:30 »
That's gorgeous. I probably cant afford it but damn that's the endgame I've been dreaming of.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Offline upas

« Reply #59 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 22:00:11 »
So in! Great work upas!

Clock/screen is a killer app for me. Rotary knob is a killer app for me too.

The little canon logo is gorgeous. I have a semi.

Would it be possible to program the rotary knob to be linked to pageup/pagedn depending on the direction of rotation? That'd be so cool and precise way to move up/down when browsing long documents/data sets (which I do a lot of personally, sadly - with both hands on keyboard, it's a pain moving right hand back to mouse scroll wheel).

I've spent some of yesterday and today writing code for the knob.

Fn+Knob press changes the knob mode

Here are the modes and their behaviors:
Abbreviation - Full name - Clockwise/Counterclockwise/Press
VOL - Volume - Volume Up/Down/Mute
MED - Media - Next Track/Previous Track/PlayPause
SCR - Scroll - Mouse Wheel Down/Mouse Wheel Up/Mouse Wheel Press
BRT - Brightness - Brightness Up/Brightness Down/Nothing
BKL - Backlight - Backlight Intensity Up/Down/Toggle breathing
CLK - Clock Set - Increase selected number (hour or minute)/Decrease selected number (hour or minute)/Toggle hour or minute (Clock gets saved when you leave this mode)

Online Rensuya

• If there's brass on the field, bottom out!
    • Where I post all things nerdy and keeb related if anyone is interested. Profile image credit to Owler.
« Reply #61 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 22:55:14 »
Looks great! Only thing I don't care for is the cannon. Hope to possibly see a blue/grey color, if so I'll be in for one even if the cannon stays. 

Also, +1 for the screen not always being lit up. Maybe a sleep mode  :thumb:

Offline Dovan1405

« Reply #62 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 23:24:11 »
I would like for at least a wkl blocker but it seems rather difficult to achieve
Ill go with the 1.5,1.5,7,1.5,1.5

Overall this board is drop dead gorgeous. That weight look is stunning and clean as well please keep it that way :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ian13

« Reply #63 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 23:57:04 »
This looks good! Especially with ~400usd price. What is the front height of the board?

Offline gnhuy91

« Reply #64 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 23:58:53 »
awesome design! will there be a WKL option?
also i kinda want to opt out for OLED and slab a brass tag on its place

Offline Dovan1405

« Reply #65 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 01:25:22 »
I didnt mention these colours in my form but something off white creamish will be nice. Or olive green and rose gold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #66 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 01:28:39 »
video demonstration and full tutorial pls

i have no idea what the implementation of this is, and the last time something like this was tried it tanked horribly
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Schumiboard" | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | MIRA SE | TGR Alice | Southpaw Fullsize (when it ships) | Daily driver: TGR Alice

Puddsy's just a post ****

Online RETURNISO

• Norde
« Reply #67 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 07:23:31 »
Wow, this is indeed a satisfaction Keyboard :eek:

Got all of the them VERY Satisfying features  ^-^

75% layout ( best workstation layout )
V.I.A
Clean design  :thumb:
OLED Screen ( YEEES ) Layer indication at is best!!
The Knob ( really nice for timeline scroll in editing software ) + The STD features

I would not mind paying a premium if the OLED and Knob wheel is executed well.

+1 ISO enabled PCB ( I don't think it's a "cheeeese plate" just by adding ISO enter and split left shift to the PCB )
+1 ISO Didicated plate ( To avoid the universal layouts and ANSI users frustrattion )  :))

Looking at the the knob rotator on the render, is it not slightly a little too big to interfere with print screen on your fingers when "knobing the wheel" ?

On the proto, the OLED is countersunk, any plans for a tinted glass insert?

Really nice work and great features, definitely in, if you add ISO  :cool:
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 January 2019, 07:26:01 by RETURNISO »

Offline ptiede

« Reply #68 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 07:27:20 »
Must buy for me. I love this

Offline upas

« Reply #69 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 09:21:32 »

i have no idea what the implementation of this is, and the last time something like this was tried it tanked horribly

Still definitely a work in progress. Sorry for the weird vertical video, I'm new to YouTube and don't know how to fix it:

Online RETURNISO

• Norde
« Reply #70 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 09:28:38 »

Still definitely a work in progress. Sorry for the weird vertical video, I'm new to YouTube and don't know how to fix it:

Nice 👌 just quick, maybe when in the brightness settings, a press could choose screen color mode? Win have a night light mode.

Offline upas

« Reply #71 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 09:32:28 »
Also here are some typing sounds. I made this video on my webcam:

Shoutout Chris Swires for index finger spacebar.

Online dyrdevil

« Reply #72 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 12:07:41 »
This is pretty darn cool. Congrats!

A couple questions, sorry for my lack of knowledge about something like this:

1) are the knob functions editable/programmable at all by the end user?
2) is it possible to have a knob with a larger/slower "bump" when rotating?  During the media selection setting, it seems it'd be easy to have more "bumps" than you want, possible decreasing that satisfaction

I'm sure you know this, but it seems to me that this board will live and die on how irresistible the knob and OLED screen are.  I'd say, take whatever time you need to get those things as right as possible, otherwise it might seem a bit gimmicky. 

I apologize if I seem condescending at all - I think this is one of the coolest things I've seen!

Offline upas

« Reply #73 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 12:34:31 »

2) is it possible to have a knob with a larger/slower "bump" when rotating?  During the media selection setting, it seems it'd be easy to have more "bumps" than you want, possible decreasing that satisfaction

I'm sure you know this, but it seems to me that this board will live and die on how irresistible the knob and OLED screen are.  I'd say, take whatever time you need to get those things as right as possible, otherwise it might seem a bit gimmicky. 

I apologize if I seem condescending at all - I think this is one of the coolest things I've seen!

1) A custom mode sounds pretty cool - I wonder if I can get that supported in VIA
2) This is something that was mentioned to me in discord. QMK doesn't support that right now, but I think I can absolutely implement something like that. At the very least, we'll be able to change the number of "bumps" per setting. What would really be cool would be an acceleration mode - the more you turn the faster you go. But that's pretty difficult to implement :)

I totally agree with you about the OLED and Knob needing to be extremely satisfying. I'm open to all suggestions to increase the satisfaction.

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #74 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 12:57:24 »
Any possibility of a rotary encoder that is silent?

Online oh_chesteroni

« Reply #75 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 13:07:19 »

1) A custom mode sounds pretty cool - I wonder if I can get that supported in VIA
2) This is something that was mentioned to me in discord. QMK doesn't support that right now, but I think I can absolutely implement something like that. At the very least, we'll be able to change the number of "bumps" per setting. What would really be cool would be an acceleration mode - the more you turn the faster you go. But that's pretty difficult to implement :)

I totally agree with you about the OLED and Knob needing to be extremely satisfying. I'm open to all suggestions to increase the satisfaction.

I assumed the rotary functions could be programmed to anything that is supported by qmk? Your comment, upas, seems to suggest the knob will only have the features you have already mentioned. Or were you only referring to custom programmability through VIA by the end user?

Online JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
« Reply #76 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 14:38:30 »
In for one, I'd only use the "weel" for volume control, but I like it :)

Offline Poesjuh

[IC] Satisfaction 75 - 75% Keyboard w/ OLED Screen and Rotary Encoder
« Reply #77 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 15:41:52 »
Suggestion for brightness click mode; activate or deactivate night mode (windows flux).

And for the scroll wheel function, click to swap between vertical and horizontal scrolling.

Offline upas

« Reply #78 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 15:50:53 »
Any possibility of a rotary encoder that is silent?

If you find a part, then you can totally put a silent rotary encoder in. The one provided with the kit will not be silent.
This is for my sanity :) More options = more difficult fulfillment.

I assumed the rotary functions could be programmed to anything that is supported by qmk? Your comment, upas, seems to suggest the knob will only have the features you have already mentioned. Or were you only referring to custom programmability through VIA by the end user?

The firmware for the keyboard is QMK. You can always change how the encoder works if you write the code in QMK.
A lot of people don't want to learn how to do that, and that's what VIA is for.

If you know C and can hack around QMK, anything is possible.

Offline vpr

« Reply #79 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 16:11:31 »

Possible to make the OLED screen show the volume percentage as it's being changed? Maybe have the OLED screen switch to a meter w/ percentage then switch back after a few seconds of inactivity? Would be nice if I have music or something playing, monitors have turned off due to inactivity and I just want to adjust the volume. Could just turn the knob and look at the OLED screen instead of waking the monitors.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #80 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 16:38:28 »

Can the OLED light be white as well?

Offline upas

« Reply #81 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 17:00:11 »
Possible to make the OLED screen show the volume percentage as it's being changed? Maybe have the OLED screen switch to a meter w/ percentage then switch back after a few seconds of inactivity? Would be nice if I have music or something playing, monitors have turned off due to inactivity and I just want to adjust the volume. Could just turn the knob and look at the OLED screen instead of waking the monitors.

In order to do this, we'd have to have custom software running on the computer. There are only three pieces of information sent to keyboards without extra software - those are Caps Lock state, Num lock state, and Scroll Lock state.
As such, this isn't something I plan on adding, but nothing is preventing someone else from writing the integration.

Can the OLED light be white as well?

Yep! There will be 2 options for OLED - white and blue.
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 January 2019, 17:02:30 by upas »

Offline Pennywise359

« Reply #82 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 20:35:07 »
I'd love to have the knob on the left, so I won't have to take my hand off the mouse.

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #83 on: Mon, 21 January 2019, 06:14:18 »
Wow this is a instant buy for me, so cool.

Offline fcnchuck

« Reply #84 on: Mon, 21 January 2019, 10:32:23 »
Great work. Love seeing more 75% coming into the light

Offline mrkantz

« Reply #85 on: Mon, 21 January 2019, 10:44:18 »
This is definitely a buy for me.

Offline booleanjulien

« Reply #86 on: Mon, 21 January 2019, 11:34:57 »
I'd love to have the knob on the left, so I won't have to take my hand off the mouse.

Seems like it's too late for this, but this sounds amazing to me.

Offline Grumms

« Reply #87 on: Mon, 21 January 2019, 12:40:42 »
Fantastic work. Very unique! Definitely will be in on this.

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #88 on: Mon, 21 January 2019, 13:28:25 »
I'd like a mode where the wheel operates volume and pushing it down toggles mute for the microphone, would be great for games with voice comms, streaming, or just skype calls for work.

Offline farmisen

« Reply #89 on: Mon, 21 January 2019, 16:18:54 »
I'd like a mode where the wheel operates volume and pushing it down toggles mute for the microphone, would be great for games with voice comms, streaming, or just skype calls for work.

+1

Offline tex_live_utility

« Reply #90 on: Mon, 21 January 2019, 16:20:35 »

+1

Is there an HID scancode that toggles microphone mute? Might have to be something you do on the OS side.

Offline Zytyx

« Reply #91 on: Mon, 21 January 2019, 17:39:12 »
As long as the gb will be easy to get into I'm down for 2! Love all the features present.

Offline NinjaSquirrel21

« Reply #92 on: Mon, 21 January 2019, 19:03:21 »
I am very interested in this. The early pics look great. Watching the thread.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline tunadesu

« Reply #93 on: Mon, 21 January 2019, 19:48:23 »

The knob will be fully programmable in QMK. The default behavior for the button will be configurable in VIA.

Boston meetup!? Nice. When is that do you know? I can't miss this

Offline alphabirth

« Reply #94 on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 15:04:25 »
Unh... This is so beautiful!  I wish I had money right now, but alas, I'll have to sit this one out.  Good luck getting to GB!

Offline Manabuns

« Reply #95 on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 19:31:58 »
Looks amazing! Looking forward to seeing how this gb turns out

Offline Sleepy_Badger

« Reply #96 on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 20:16:47 »
hey im really liking this concept. Do you have a ballpark idea on the cost? I plan to enter quite a few things this spring so just trying to see what my budget is and what not, but dope design cant wait to own it hopefully  ;D

Offline upas

« Reply #97 on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 21:59:57 »

+1

Is there an HID scancode that toggles microphone mute? Might have to be something you do on the OS side.

Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge, there isnt' a default code for microphone mute or anything like that. You'd have to setup a hotkey.
I don't think those will be configurable - my plan right now is that there will be two custom encoder modes you can configure in VIA, and you can also set your default encoder mode in VIA.

Using the custom modes, you could make the press send whatever you want.

I still want a good press behavior for both the scrolling and brightness modes - nothing feasible has come up yet.

Boston meetup!? Nice. When is that do you know? I can't miss this

I'm supposed to be planning that as well! I posted an IC, please fill it out before February!
https://goo.gl/forms/fcHW2M0YqNaY3VDs2

hey im really liking this concept. Do you have a ballpark idea on the cost? I plan to enter quite a few things this spring so just trying to see what my budget is and what not, but dope design cant wait to own it hopefully  ;D

The cost will be $400 max. Not sure about specifics any further than that.

Offline upas

« Reply #98 on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 22:01:31 »
Here's a quick demo of the backlight being changed by the rotary encoder, on my development board:

Offline AgonizedFish

« Reply #99 on: Wed, 23 January 2019, 09:12:44 »
Any plans for a polycarb version? Definitely in either way, this board looks amazing!

Offline Sleepy_Badger

« Reply #100 on: Wed, 23 January 2019, 22:11:43 »

The cost will be $400 max. Not sure about specifics any further than that.

Thanks!! :D

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #101 on: Wed, 23 January 2019, 22:36:33 »
watching this. seems like a good work board for me.

Online hndle

« Reply #102 on: Thu, 24 January 2019, 09:57:44 »
this is perfect for me

Offline japancakes

« Reply #103 on: Thu, 24 January 2019, 17:57:24 »
This looks insane. Brass finish case hoooooly.

Online bball2

« Reply #104 on: Thu, 24 January 2019, 23:43:39 »
Looks awesome, hope the price can be competitive!  :thumb:

Offline Sic_Alpha

« Reply #105 on: Sat, 26 January 2019, 19:54:29 »
Interested depending on final product and cost.

For brightness rotary encoder function: Is this the screeen brightness of the PC, or the OLED brightness level?  It would be nice to have the ability to change the brightness of the OLED; definitely wouldn't want an overly bright screen on my keyboard at all times when in use.  Or just the option to turn OLED off, or have it off after a few seconds of no rotary encoder use, turn OLED back on when using rotary encoder etc.

Also, would it be possible to bevel/chamfer the edges that go down into the OLED screen to reduce the reflections off of the sides of the OLED hole?
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 January 2019, 19:57:40 by Sic_Alpha »

Offline upas

« Reply #106 on: Sun, 27 January 2019, 09:55:17 »
Interested depending on final product and cost.

For brightness rotary encoder function: Is this the screeen brightness of the PC, or the OLED brightness level?  It would be nice to have the ability to change the brightness of the OLED; definitely wouldn't want an overly bright screen on my keyboard at all times when in use.  Or just the option to turn OLED off, or have it off after a few seconds of no rotary encoder use, turn OLED back on when using rotary encoder etc.

Also, would it be possible to bevel/chamfer the edges that go down into the OLED screen to reduce the reflections off of the sides of the OLED hole?

The OLED does have a way to control "contrast" which is roughly correlated to brightness. I have not tried implementing code to change this, but quick searching shows that it might not make much of a difference. I'm using an existing OLED breakout for this keyboard, so I don't have full control of the OLED schematic, but it was a way to deliver this without spending months more of development, and I thought it was a good tradeoff to make.

In terms of the bevel/chamfer, the most recent version of the design does include one because I noticed this exact issue :)

Offline Sic_Alpha

« Reply #107 on: Sun, 27 January 2019, 22:06:59 »
 :thumb: on the chamfer/bevel; looking forward to seeing updated pics!

More ideas on OLED (just more detailed of what I was mentioning above, understood brightness/contrast is likely a no-go):

Auto-off function after set time of no rotary-encoder input detected (has a real-time clock after all :-).  Auto-on when rotary-encoder input detected resetting auto-off function timer whenever rotary input is detected.

Default to just showing clock on entire OLED screen (nothing else) when no rotary input detected for set amount of time.  When rotary input is detected, show pertinent info for current function.

Ability to turn off OLED when unwanted/unneeded via the rotary-encoder menu system.  When OLED is off, just push rotary button to turn it back on and goes into whatever function was set to defualt.

Also ability to enable/disable above auto functions.

Considering Knob and case.  I didn't find a mention... Will the case be shaped around the contour of a round knob for the hole?  Or will it remain a square, well rectangle for entire vertical column?  It would look much more polished, and I'd be willing to pay a little more, if it's a little more, to have it looking like it belongs there instead of a round peg into a square hole  ;D
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 January 2019, 00:59:30 by Sic_Alpha »

Offline lac29

« Reply #108 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 11:11:21 »
1) I kinda would prefer the rotary knob to be blockered out separately and cnced in its won circular spot rather than have a key right below it and in a square cnced spot. Is this possible?
2) I mentioned this before to you on reddit but I think it does make sense if possible to have the knob be stepped or smooth when rotated (ex Logitech mice scroll wheel allow you to switch between the two).

Online RamenTechMech

« Reply #109 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 11:18:09 »
2) I mentioned this before to you on reddit but I think it does make sense if possible to have the knob be stepped or smooth when rotated (ex Logitech mice scroll wheel allow you to switch between the two).

I don't think there is a rotary knob that can perform this function, you only have stepped and smooth. I have that mouse you are talking about which is the G502 but it's an actual object that makes contact with the scroll wheel that makes it stepped or into a freewheel.

Offline upas

« Reply #110 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 12:25:26 »
:thumb: on the chamfer/bevel; looking forward to seeing updated pics!

More ideas on OLED (just more detailed of what I was mentioning above, understood brightness/contrast is likely a no-go):

Auto-off function after set time of no rotary-encoder input detected (has a real-time clock after all :-).  Auto-on when rotary-encoder input detected resetting auto-off function timer whenever rotary input is detected.

Default to just showing clock on entire OLED screen (nothing else) when no rotary input detected for set amount of time.  When rotary input is detected, show pertinent info for current function.

Ability to turn off OLED when unwanted/unneeded via the rotary-encoder menu system.  When OLED is off, just push rotary button to turn it back on and goes into whatever function was set to defualt.

Also ability to enable/disable above auto functions.

Considering Knob and case.  I didn't find a mention... Will the case be shaped around the contour of a round knob for the hole?  Or will it remain a square, well rectangle for entire vertical column?  It would look much more polished, and I'd be willing to pay a little more, if it's a little more, to have it looking like it belongs there instead of a round peg into a square hole  ;D

I have some of those oled features planned. It already goes to sleep after 60 seconds of keyboard inactivity. If the keyboard is being uses, the OLED is on. I am going to add a toggle. Big time mode is also planned.

1) I kinda would prefer the rotary knob to be blockered out separately and cnced in its won circular spot rather than have a key right below it and in a square cnced spot. Is this possible?

In the new renders, there is no longer a square CNCed spot. I've said that the keyboard shown was a prototype, and also talked about the changes in the first few posts. I've also mentioned this earlier in the thread.

Offline lac29

« Reply #111 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 13:14:33 »
Knurled knob?

Offline mpaarating

« Reply #112 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 14:12:08 »
Unf this board looks amazing. Can't wait to see the continued progress.

Offline Kawamashi

« Reply #113 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 15:10:19 »
Wow, really nice board  !  :D

Will you have a prototype to check that the navy blue matches Calm Depths well ? If so, consider me in !

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #114 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 18:39:51 »
Really digging this -- the knob, OLED, and space between the right column and the main cluster are all excellent. Not sure if I can pull together the funds for it, but if not I'll be vicariously living through you all. I think a smaller chamfer might look nice, but I appreciate the aesthetic either way.

Offline KevlarBear

« Reply #115 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 02:11:44 »
Never have I wanted an IC to go into GB phase more than this, it looks absolutely incredible!

Offline KeyCap75

« Reply #116 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 04:44:12 »
Wow! Very nice board!
If the PCB can support ISO (plus extra plate or platefiles) this would be my endgame-keyboard!  ;D

Online Asbrodeus

« Reply #117 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 08:11:11 »
will there be an option for PVD colored brass or ano aluminum plates?

Offline madkat13

• h
« Reply #118 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 10:21:38 »
Is there a plan to get Bluetooth?

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk

Offline upas

« Reply #119 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 10:48:42 »
will there be an option for PVD colored brass or ano aluminum plates?

Nope, in order to maintain sanity, this will just be offered with brass plates (and FR4). Maybe two colors (gold, silver) but nothing else.
Plate files will be released for those who want others.

Wow! Very nice board!
If the PCB can support ISO (plus extra plate or platefiles) this would be my endgame-keyboard!  ;D

ISO will be supported on the PCB. Plate files will be released.

Is there a plan to get Bluetooth?

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk

No plans for bluetooth.

Offline tunadesu

« Reply #120 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 19:22:50 »

g502! love that feature. Also, lets hope this goes better than that Leeku75% lol. Remember that thing?

Offline upas

« Reply #121 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 22:22:11 »
To all my EU friends:

I made an update to the PCB, take a look:

So the PCB will have ISO :)

Offline KeyCap75

« Reply #122 on: Thu, 31 January 2019, 01:25:30 »
 :eek: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :D

this is ISO Enter, right?
Will there also be ISO split left shift? Pleeeeeease!!! :D
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 January 2019, 01:30:08 by KeyCap75 »

Offline Anaconda

« Reply #123 on: Thu, 31 January 2019, 09:59:18 »
You added a split left shift(1.25/1u) as well? that is how 99% of iso layouts are setup. Otherwise looks great!

Online RETURNISO

• Norde
« Reply #124 on: Thu, 31 January 2019, 13:15:09 »
To all my EU friends:

I made an update to the PCB, take a look:
Show Image

So the PCB will have ISO :)

Awesome Upas.. really looking forward to the GB

Offline upas

« Reply #125 on: Thu, 31 January 2019, 13:56:05 »
You added a split left shift(1.25/1u) as well? that is how 99% of iso layouts are setup. Otherwise looks great!

:eek: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :D

this is ISO Enter, right?
Will there also be ISO split left shift? Pleeeeeease!!! :D

Yes, of course! Haha, enter was just more annoying to do and route.

Offline JPVann

« Reply #126 on: Thu, 31 January 2019, 19:01:48 »
Love this design with the encoder.  Per other suggestions - can't you just ELIMINATE the Print Screen?  Is that really even really used anymore?  This would give you dedicated free space for the encoder.

Online rondg

« Reply #127 on: Thu, 31 January 2019, 19:07:40 »
Love this design with the encoder.  Per other suggestions - can't you just ELIMINATE the Print Screen?  Is that really even really used anymore?  This would give you dedicated free space for the encoder.

I use the print screen.. A lot! But since this is going to be QMK, we can just map the keys to what we want.

Offline upas

« Reply #128 on: Thu, 31 January 2019, 22:58:11 »
Hi everyone,

Inspired by Windeh, I decided to check out the displacement of my plate based on a consistent force.
Here are the results: https://imgur.com/a/E2ctUR3

These are imperfect - while I did mount my plate to the case (unlike Windeh), I did not account for O rings, PCB, or switches. Those would change these potentially a lot. But this is a good starting point.

Based on my experimentation, I decided to add a meme cut similar to the Windeh cut in order to make the force on each side of the spacebar more consistent. This should help achieve consistent acoustics from the spacebar, as well as making it less stiff.

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #129 on: Fri, 01 February 2019, 09:05:38 »
Hi everyone,

Inspired by Windeh, I decided to check out the displacement of my plate based on a consistent force.
Here are the results: https://imgur.com/a/E2ctUR3

These are imperfect - while I did mount my plate to the case (unlike Windeh), I did not account for O rings, PCB, or switches. Those would change these potentially a lot. But this is a good starting point.

Based on my experimentation, I decided to add a meme cut similar to the Windeh cut in order to make the force on each side of the spacebar more consistent. This should help achieve consistent acoustics from the spacebar, as well as making it less stiff.

Wow that's super interesting! I presume you want as much the same color around all the keys as you can within reason - any way to do a tiny cutout around the center mount?

Online 112227

« Reply #130 on: Sat, 02 February 2019, 10:56:16 »
Can't say no to this board. Amazing job.

Offline upas

« Reply #131 on: Sat, 02 February 2019, 17:39:19 »
My round 2 prototype 3d printed rough case arrived.

I built it out with a revised PCB, and found an error - the knob on the PCB was not mounted in the proper place as I did not measure properly.

This is why prototyping is important :)

After Chinese New Year, I'll be placing an order for the next aluminum prototype. If that works out perfectly, the group buy will start soon after.

I've added pictures of the new prototype to the 2nd post in this thread.

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #132 on: Sat, 02 February 2019, 18:11:23 »
Second proto really getting there upas, great work.

Will the tolerances around the default knob be tighter in the final version (ignoring the off-centering impact) - ie about the same gap as with the keycaps?

Online HTN47

• Mr. SoCal
« Reply #133 on: Sat, 02 February 2019, 18:45:33 »
 :eek: :eek:
Gawd damn!!
This is gonna be my final board for sure  :thumb:
What is love.... Baby don't hurt me... No more!!

Offline upas

« Reply #134 on: Sat, 02 February 2019, 20:59:49 »
Second proto really getting there upas, great work.

Will the tolerances around the default knob be tighter in the final version (ignoring the off-centering impact) - ie about the same gap as with the keycaps?

Yep - that's exactly the intent. I actually have a smaller knob on this one than the actual knobs I'm going to use for the GB, because the nice knobs don't fit with the off-center issue.

Offline KevlarBear

« Reply #135 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 21:48:11 »
Do you have any prototypes of the knobs that that you'll be using?

Offline upas

« Reply #136 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 22:26:04 »

I've bought a whole bunch of knobs.

Though I am working on custom knobs, I am not going to delay the GB if they aren't ready in time.

I'll have pictures of the knob options when I start the GB.
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 February 2019, 22:30:51 by upas »

Offline swangful

« Reply #137 on: Tue, 05 February 2019, 01:00:42 »

Though I am working on custom knobs, I am not going to delay the GB if they aren't ready in time.

Any timelines on when this GB will get going? :D
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ giff keps

Offline ian13

« Reply #138 on: Tue, 05 February 2019, 06:20:59 »
Eagerly waiting for this. I don’t mind the long wait for as long as every detail is being considered :)
Do you have any update on the other color options that you plan to include? Will e-white be offered?
Also, any ballpark on when the GB will go live? Q2? Q3?
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 February 2019, 08:58:15 by ian13 »

Offline upas

« Reply #139 on: Tue, 05 February 2019, 12:58:00 »

Any timelines on when this GB will get going? :D

Eagerly waiting for this. I don’t mind the long wait for as long as every detail is being considered :)
Do you have any update on the other color options that you plan to include? Will e-white be offered?
Also, any ballpark on when the GB will go live? Q2? Q3?

Hopefully GB will start by late March - hopefully earlier but we'll see.
For now, only navy blue and black are planned. They were the top 2 in IC by far. I'm evaluating some white finishes now, so a white finish may also be offered.

Offline Sic_Alpha

« Reply #140 on: Thu, 07 February 2019, 11:56:51 »
New renders of the board here https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=99235.0 look pretty good.

Online RamenTechMech

« Reply #141 on: Thu, 07 February 2019, 11:58:43 »
New renders of the board here https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=99235.0 look pretty good.

Damn that looks good  :p :p :p

Offline OtherAndrew

« Reply #142 on: Thu, 07 February 2019, 16:37:58 »
satisfy me

Online Rensuya

• Where I post all things nerdy and keeb related if anyone is interested. Profile image credit to Owler.
« Reply #143 on: Thu, 07 February 2019, 22:45:29 »

Upas did a great job with this board and it's looking great in that white finish! That guy's keycaps are looking real sick on it too! Might have to join both GB's  ;)
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 February 2019, 22:47:21 by Rensuya »

Offline fcnchuck

« Reply #144 on: Fri, 08 February 2019, 00:14:37 »
Will the layout only support WKL or is a WK an option with a shorter space?

Offline Sic_Alpha

« Reply #145 on: Fri, 08 February 2019, 00:17:08 »
Layout support on first post shows that it will support winkey
http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/2156e0dbbaffd0f243269cdfa357e1c9

Online nasp

« Reply #146 on: Fri, 08 February 2019, 05:06:54 »

Upas did a great job with this board and it's looking great in that white finish! That guy's keycaps are looking real sick on it too! Might have to join both GB's  ;)

I mean...I hope you join your own GB!  :p

Offline rooski15

« Reply #147 on: Sat, 09 February 2019, 19:30:13 »
Loving the concept so far - looking forward to GB launch!

Offline upas

« Reply #148 on: Sat, 09 February 2019, 20:29:48 »
Hey guys I wanted to show off some new encoder/OLED features:

Offline Sic_Alpha

« Reply #149 on: Sat, 09 February 2019, 22:53:01 »
Very cool!  Awesome that you're incorporating input from the community  :thumb: looking forward to the GB.  I'm definitely in for one.

Offline blizzara01

« Reply #150 on: Sat, 09 February 2019, 23:54:18 »

Can it set breathing mode only in one key (Esc) and the others are off?

Online vicissitude

« Reply #151 on: Sun, 10 February 2019, 00:44:10 »
The wheel is so cooool.
Really expect someday there would also be a joystick on the kustoms.
That would be interesting.  :D :D

Offline rooski15

« Reply #152 on: Sun, 10 February 2019, 02:13:58 »
Looks amazing! I'm really excited to see where you take this. :)

Online the_high_5

« Reply #153 on: Sun, 10 February 2019, 02:15:45 »
I really hope a white case option is possible. Can't wait for GB to start.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Offline PotatoTM

« Reply #154 on: Sun, 10 February 2019, 02:30:43 »
Really looking forward to this GB, it seems to keep getting better every time I check back in :P

Online Moac

« Reply #155 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 12:26:58 »
I am very much interested and If I could make a suggestion it would be:
Able to display the Clock across the entire display.
A simple countdown alarm for events...have the keys light/flash up as indicators when the time is up. (display shows remaining time until a certain event)

Do you have any ballpark price point of the keyboard? 300+ 400+?
Will the keyboard be able to use Nordic keys layout?

Looking very promising indeed.

Online RETURNISO

• Norde
« Reply #156 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 12:29:44 »
I am very much interested and If I could make a suggestion it would be:
Able to display the Clock across the entire display.
A simple countdown alarm for events...have the keys light/flash up as indicators when the time is up. (display shows remaining time until a certain event)

Do you have any ballpark price point of the keyboard? 300+ 400+?
Will the keyboard be able to use Nordic keys layout?

Looking very promising indeed.

OP have confirmed ISO support  ;)

Offline upas

« Reply #157 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 13:17:58 »

Can it set breathing mode only in one key (Esc) and the others are off?

Every key shares the same backlight settings, including breathing.

I really hope a white case option is possible. Can't wait for GB to start.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Hopefully this will work out :)

Offline upas

« Reply #158 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 13:19:01 »
I placed an order for the 2nd round of prototypes today.

If these prototypes meet the quality bar, I will be using this factory for production as well.

The prototype units should arrive by early next month, and if they are good, the GB will start soon afterwards.

Online Rensuya

« Reply #159 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 16:07:46 »
I placed an order for the 2nd round of prototypes today.

If these prototypes meet the quality bar, I will be using this factory for production as well.

The prototype units should arrive by early next month, and if they are good, the GB will start soon afterwards.
Looking forward to that sexy white!  :thumb:

Offline h9n9n3

« Reply #160 on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 06:21:30 »
So good to see a nice 75% that makes me want to go back to 75% again...
Bluetooth will be such a nice option if provided.

Online whentheclouds

« Reply #161 on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 09:25:36 »
have to concur.. i thought the Xeno 75% was the bees' knees, but it took way too long to get going and then this beauty came along and stole my heart.

also agree about bluetooth, i am just now realizing the value of going cordless. upas already said no plans for bluetooth, but perhaps in a future iteration..

Offline gt1989

« Reply #162 on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 10:00:49 »
have to concur.. i thought the Xeno 75% was the bees' knees, but it took way too long to get going and then this beauty came along and stole my heart.

also agree about bluetooth, i am just now realizing the value of going cordless. upas already said no plans for bluetooth, but perhaps in a future iteration..

I felt the same way about Xeno, I was planning on it being the last board I buy. However I'm probably going to end up joining this GB too. Which is fine since this can be my home board and Xeno my work board or vice versa.

Online Moac

« Reply #163 on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 10:12:14 »
If I could register a purchase today I would , i am also considering the Xeno or this one. Given that the xeno has no support for ISO layout (no big deal) I am leaning towards this beauty. The dial wheel is what sells it to me , hopefully it will be very tactile.
Hopefully I can get in line before the cut off point:

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #164 on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 10:39:58 »
This is a guaranteed order for me too.  Hoping a variety of colour options.  Will raw aluminum also be an available option if we want to get it anodized/cerakoted ourselves?

Offline Ephemeral

« Reply #165 on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 11:12:46 »
The dial wheel is what sells it to me , hopefully it will be very tactile.

The dial wheel has got me sold too. It sounds pretty tactile based on the videos.
Collection:
More
Infinity 60% (Zealios 78g) | Phantom TKL (Gateron Black) | MiniVan (Zealios 78g) | Preonic (62g Ergo Clears) | Helix (?)
[Coming: CA66 (Zealios 65g) | budget96 (?)]

Online Moac

« Reply #166 on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 11:24:40 »
I don´t know if a calculator would be possible to be included but I think this video is a good example of how final a layout could look.
Perhaps you should come into contact with the guy who made the mod.  (more relevant if any future version is with a numpad)

Include a Countdown timer, I can already see it in front of me... dialing up the time and clicking it in to set it.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 February 2019, 16:28:35 by Moac »

Offline ian13

« Reply #167 on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 20:37:41 »
+1 for the countdown timer. It will help me for when I'm doing laundry. LOL
But seriously, it will be a useful feature. Also hoping to have an e-coated white option as well.

Offline DarkMio

« Reply #168 on: Wed, 13 February 2019, 06:24:28 »
I don´t know if a calculator would be possible to be included but I think this video is a good example of how final a layout could look.
Perhaps you should come into contact with the guy who made the mod.  (more relevant if any future version is with a numpad)

Include a Countdown timer, I can already see it in front of me... dialing up the time and clicking it in to set it.

I'm going to get that keyboard from the GB and I am pretty familiar with writing QMK software (through the Massdrop CTRL). If the creator doesn't supply a calculator, I'll write you one. It's pretty easy and convenient, too. If you don't mind it being not scientific, it shouldn't take too long to write an implementation on QMK (and I could already prep it on the Massdrop CTRL, too).

Online Moac

« Reply #169 on: Wed, 13 February 2019, 08:30:21 »

I'm going to get that keyboard from the GB and I am pretty familiar with writing QMK software (through the Massdrop CTRL). If the creator doesn't supply a calculator, I'll write you one. It's pretty easy and convenient, too. If you don't mind it being not scientific, it shouldn't take too long to write an implementation on QMK (and I could already prep it on the Massdrop CTRL, too).
That’s very kind and appreciated. I think others would also like the idea of a calculator or countdown timer.
I think a regular basic calculator is the best option.
Again , thank you for sharing your knowledge and for your willingness to help.

Hopefully I can grab a keyboard before it’s gone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline upas

« Reply #170 on: Wed, 13 February 2019, 09:00:50 »

I have a lot on my plate already, so I will let you write the calculator :) The actual timer part of the countdown timer would also be not too hard, but making the UI on the OLED could be time consuming. Thank you so much for offering help! If you want to get a head start, feel free to DM me here or on discord - there is hardware available. I'd also love to give support and talk approach with you.

That being said:

While I wish I could personally support every feature suggested, I don't want people to underestimate the work that's already gone into this, and the additional work I already have planned.

No one has used the stm32f072 for the sort of features included here. A ton of work has gone into making this particular chip work with the OLED screen. Real Time Clock is a new thing that to my knowledge, no other GB keyboard has. Writing new views for the OLED screen takes a lot of time and thought. And no one has used the encoder with as many modes as are supported here.

Not to mention, all the work in VIA and QMK that has to be done. I'm constantly trying to add new things, focused mostly on easy configuration so that people don't have to be QMK experts or programmers to get the encoder to do what they want, change keymaps, etc.

I've pretty much selected the set of features I want to support - at this point, any other features won't really make the cut, and will have to be community implemented.

I think a lot of the features suggested here are interesting and good, but there's only so much time I have on top of my day job to work on this while still maintaining my sanity  :cool:

Offline Sic_Alpha

« Reply #171 on: Wed, 13 February 2019, 10:08:37 »
Totally cool with trying to implement my own ideas for screen and encoder.  As long as your original code will be available for review, to see how you did what you're doing, I should be able to figure it out!

Offline DarkMio

« Reply #172 on: Wed, 13 February 2019, 10:54:54 »
-snip-

Not to mention, all the work in VIA and QMK that has to be done. I'm constantly trying to add new things, focused mostly on easy configuration so that people don't have to be QMK experts or programmers to get the encoder to do what they want, change keymaps, etc.

I've pretty much selected the set of features I want to support - at this point, any other features won't really make the cut, and will have to be community implemented.

I think a lot of the features suggested here are interesting and good, but there's only so much time I have on top of my day job to work on this while still maintaining my sanity  :cool:

The chip choice is, in my personal opinion, the only thing that may limit it. How much memory does your firmware already take? I guess the LEDs won't be RGB, because you won't be driving RGB + OLED with "just" 48MHz.

So, I guess there is little to change the processor (if you checked the IC google sheet, I suggested another microprocessor there with good headroom) - for building some software I may need a parts + wiring list, I can source most things and got the necessary hardware to cobble something together. Do you have a reduced testbed? I'm hanging around in the QMK discord, so we could move this talk over there.

Offline upas

« Reply #173 on: Wed, 13 February 2019, 14:35:54 »
-snip-

The chip choice is, in my personal opinion, the only thing that may limit it. How much memory does your firmware already take? I guess the LEDs won't be RGB, because you won't be driving RGB + OLED with "just" 48MHz.

So, I guess there is little to change the processor (if you checked the IC google sheet, I suggested another microprocessor there with good headroom) - for building some software I may need a parts + wiring list, I can source most things and got the necessary hardware to cobble something together. Do you have a reduced testbed? I'm hanging around in the QMK discord, so we could move this talk over there.

I disagree lol, the chip choice is already overkill. This is a keyboard we're talking about here - most run on AVR which are way more limited (most keyboards use atmega32u4, which has a whopping 16 MHz processor with 16 KB of flash space and 1 KB of RAM - in comparison, this has a 48 MHz processor, 128K of flash, and 16 KB of RAM). 48 MHz is more than enough to drive OLED, and would also be enough to drive RGB, but I have chosen not to do that.

In any case - let's sync up on discord. I'm also in the QMK discord so just ping me and we'll get talking!
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 February 2019, 14:52:43 by upas »

Online rondg

« Reply #174 on: Wed, 13 February 2019, 17:52:04 »
+1 for the countdown timer! This would help me with my time management when in front of the computer.

Online Moac

« Reply #175 on: Fri, 15 February 2019, 12:28:28 »
'Keycap compatibility with most GMK base kits (Need 1.75 shift and 65% right side keys)'

Could someone elaborate on what that means? (not used to keyboard tech)
I am considering buying: GMK Carbon or GMK Honeywell. Will those work? Do I need to buy a special set or will any do? (right side is 65% key sizes?) (do these include the correct size shift and the right side keys?)

« Last Edit: Sat, 16 February 2019, 12:21:31 by Moac »

Offline nudoh

« Reply #176 on: Sat, 16 February 2019, 05:07:12 »
Board looks stunning, looking forward to this. Filled out the form :)

Offline MrFurrior

« Reply #177 on: Sat, 16 February 2019, 14:52:18 »
Any ideas on when this will be released? Really itching to get this one!

Online DasGnome

« Reply #178 on: Sat, 16 February 2019, 17:54:51 »
'Keycap compatibility with most GMK base kits (Need 1.75 shift and 65% right side keys)'

Could someone elaborate on what that means? (not used to keyboard tech)
I am considering buying: GMK Carbon or GMK Honeywell. Will those work? Do I need to buy a special set or will any do? (right side is 65% key sizes?) (do these include the correct size shift and the right side keys?)
Show Image

This guide by matt30 answers your questions in decent detail https://matt3o.com/anatomy-of-a-keyboard/, but the gist is that most GMK sets have a shift with size 1.75u (1u being the size of the smallest key on a keyboard like the alphas) and correctly profiled keycaps that match the profile of the right modifiers. Whether or not you need a special kit depends on what you buy as different GB runners plan their kits differently. You can see GMK Honeywell on Originative does have these keys included. If you need me to point them out, send me a PM. Keep in mind GMK Carbon has to be bought aftermarket and the image you inked is a render.