Author Topic: Does QMK support foot pedal modifiers from a separate controller?  (Read 3008 times)

Offline taako

Does QMK support foot pedal modifiers from a separate controller?
« on: Mon, 25 February 2019, 15:29:27 »
I am in the process of doing a Stapelberg mod on my Kinesis Contoured 130 and was wondering if it was possible to modify QMK so that it can receive signals from a food pedal (plugged in with an ethernet connector or something) and have QMK know when a pedal is pushed to temporarily activate a layer change or something?

Does QMK have a defined standard already to receive inputs from another board (maybe also running QMK?) and if so is there a standard method for adding foot pedals to QMK? I am designing my own stapelberg-like PCB so I have the opportunity to add a connector that goes to pins on the Teensy for the foot pedal control.

Offline Lanrefni

Re: Does QMK support foot pedal modifiers from a separate controller?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 25 February 2019, 19:07:26 »
I've been thinking about just soldering a connector to the pins on the bottom of the pcb for the layer switch,then just running a cable to a foot pedal,no coding necessary.

Alternatively you could define an extra row/column in your switch matrix and wire the foot pedals directly to the controller pins,a foot pedal is just an over sized switch after all,so just treat it like you would a switch on the pcb.

Offline 4sStylZ

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 09:00:58 »
You can use a cable like for extending the row / column matrix if you don’t have many wires.
Else you can use QMK like some does for split keyboard with a controller wich is the master and another one the slave. With this option you aren’t limited for the number of switch on your pedal.
Bépo user here : AEK64 White linear dampened, XD75 Cherry Blue Jailhoused, TypeMatrix2030 black skin, Lenovo 0B47200 w/ trackpoint, G13, G512. Kensington Expert Trackball & Orbit, Magic touchpad 2.

Offline urpcor

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 12 October 2019, 14:01:35 »
I've been thinking about just soldering a connector to the pins on the bottom of the pcb for the layer switch,then just running a cable to a foot pedal,no coding necessary.

May I ask, which pins on which pcb are meant?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 13 October 2019, 06:26:23 »

May I ask, which pins on which pcb are meant?

If you have some switches with no controller in another case (could be a foot pedal or anything else) you can connect one wire from the switch to the pin of a switch on the PCB and the other wire from the pedal to a diode then the other end of the diode is soldered to a diode in the switch matrix on the PCB, these connections could be made to a connector instead if you want the pedal to be disconnectable or if you're designing the PCB you can add traces to the connector...

What are you hoping to do?
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod