Author Topic: Lazy IBM Model M Bolt Mod?  (Read 1169 times)

Offline Winrar

Lazy IBM Model M Bolt Mod?
« on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 06:37:59 »
Hi.

I have a number of Model Ms and I want to bolt mod some of them. None of them is failing except a brandless mid-nineties Lexmark made keyboard, which has some keys failing (g, h, F5 and up arrow) and is going to be my guinea pig. I know it is a rivets problem and not a membrane problem because pressing with a stick over the base of the spring makes the keys work.

Some years ago, one of my keyboards broke and I set it totally apart. It is still apart (but thanks to Unicomp not for long) because it was a membrane problem. Now I don't want to have another keyboard apart for years, and since none of my keyboards has more than 4-5 broken rivets I want to avoid taking the whole keyboard apart and exposing the membrane.

So I've seen this video where a guy does a full bolt mod to a SSK in one take:

The drilling starts at around the 22:20 mark.

In almost every bolt mod procedure I've seen explained, they insist in removing the bits of the rivets that remain in the frame after cutting the rivets themselves, but the guy in the video doesn't take apart the whole sandwich and just drills a hole on the rivets to place the nuts and bolts.

I will indeed cut the rivets (mainly because I like to see where exactly I'm drilling), but I'd like to know if this is a good approach to fix a keyboard with 5-6 missing rivets or even to bolt mod the whole keyboard and if there are any obvious drawbacks in it.

I find myself able to do it this way, but I'm afraid of the orthodox take-everything-apart approach.

Thanks in advance.

Offline fanpeople

Re: Lazy IBM Model M Bolt Mod?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 07:24:03 »
Pretty sure the guy from clickykeyboards.com does something similar. He has done many boards.

Offline Winrar

Re: Lazy IBM Model M Bolt Mod?
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 07:34:40 »
Pretty sure the guy from clickykeyboards.com does something similar. He has done many boards.

I guess that when he says "missing rivets replaced with nuts and bolts" in the description of the boards he means this.

BTW, he is super nice and informative and knows a lot about the Model M. He is apparently also a professor in a high profile university, so he is very much at the top of the academic world.

So I'm assuming the idea is not bad. I'm ordering a Dremel and drill bits. God wills it. Pray for my Model Ms!
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 March 2019, 07:36:50 by Winrar »