Author Topic: The Phantom - and interest check  (Read 57573 times)

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
The Phantom - and interest check
« Reply #150 on: Tue, 27 September 2011, 00:33:31 »
Quote from: kaiserreich;421780
Any ideas how much the PCBs would cost?

FR4-Tg140 material
$35 each at 10 pcs
$25 each at 20 pcs
$20 each at 40 pcs

FR4-Tg170 material
$40 each at 10 pcs
$30 each at 20 pcs
$25 each at 40 pcs

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #151 on: Tue, 27 September 2011, 01:24:01 »
What are the differences between 140 and 170?  I am in for 2 either case.

Offline kaiserreich

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #152 on: Tue, 27 September 2011, 01:36:57 »
I hope 40 is not a hard number to reach.
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 September 2011, 01:52:20 by kaiserreich »

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #153 on: Tue, 27 September 2011, 02:46:10 »
Quote from: litster;421910
What are the differences between 140 and 170?  I am in for 2 either case.

I don't know exactly how that stuff works, but it somehow represents how much heat the material can take. They are really represented in °s 140°C and 170°C. I think it might be best to go with the higher rating, since we amateurs are going to be messing around with our not always too high end soldering skills =) Lead free solder also melts at a higher temperature i think. Also in this case I guess de-soldering might come into question at some point, which probably subjects the board to even higher temperatures (since that is always a mess). Try googling  "tg glass transition pcb" if you are curious...

If I am not overlooking anything in the price quote form the PCBs will be RoHS-compliant.

This might be interesting http://www.fast-product-development.com/pcb-materials-and-specifications.html
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 September 2011, 02:55:50 by PrinsValium »

Offline kaiserreich

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #154 on: Tue, 27 September 2011, 02:57:42 »
I use lead based solder since that's the only stuff I can find at the electronics store

Offline dux

« Reply #155 on: Tue, 27 September 2011, 03:37:53 »
I love you all, great work PrinsValium and BiNiaRiS.

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #156 on: Tue, 27 September 2011, 18:20:00 »
Quote from: PrinsValium;421927
I don't know exactly how that stuff works, but it somehow represents how much heat the material can take. They are really represented in °s 140°C and 170°C. I think it might be best to go with the higher rating, since we amateurs are going to be messing around with our not always too high end soldering skills =) Lead free solder also melts at a higher temperature i think. Also in this case I guess de-soldering might come into question at some point, which probably subjects the board to even higher temperatures (since that is always a mess). Try googling  "tg glass transition pcb" if you are curious...

If I am not overlooking anything in the price quote form the PCBs will be RoHS-compliant.

This might be interesting http://www.fast-product-development.com/pcb-materials-and-specifications.html

I'd opt for the 170 as well. It's not that big of a price difference.
Check out my sales thread.

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
KBC w/Reds and Cherry doubleshots in imsto\'s case
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g
KMAC Titanium/Winkeyless (in the mail)

Offline litster

« Reply #157 on: Tue, 27 September 2011, 18:47:24 »
Quote from: BiNiaRiS;422341
I'd opt for the 170 as well. It's not that big of a price difference.

Yes, 170 sounds like the best option.

Offline laden3

« Reply #158 on: Wed, 12 October 2011, 22:09:53 »
any updates?
I rrrove brrracks.

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #159 on: Wed, 19 October 2011, 12:59:58 »
Just got back from Europe and I'm gonna be busy for a few days, but I am also looking at a local company to make alluminum cases for these. I got a quote on raw material and it's a ballpark of $36 per case before any cutting. That leaves us a lot of room for cutting and keeping the cost of the final product reasonable.

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #160 on: Fri, 21 October 2011, 18:39:37 »
I had a stroke of inspiration and spent the last few days redoing this PCB =P I have found that the cherry switches are very easy to open by inserting a blunt nosed pair of tweezers under the locking tabs. If we are going to make a mounting plate that allows for quick stem swapping I thought we should have holes in the PCB to get to the tabs on the switches as well. Here is the result.

Front

Back

And the corresponding plate. With the combo cherry-costar stabilizer mounting holes, and quick-stem-swap slots. (I'm afraid I don't believe anyone installed qcad and had a look at it before...)

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #161 on: Fri, 21 October 2011, 23:40:43 »
That is genius.

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #162 on: Fri, 28 October 2011, 02:08:52 »
Quote from: harrison;440892
Okay, sorry, I'll leave the post above for information purposes, but I realize now that what i'm asking isn't possible while re-using the Filco/PLU/Leo housing and plate, since the switch holes wouldn't line up.

I guess i'd need to have a new plate cut to address this ala Dox.  Something to think about, but either way, I'm quite interested in this project as it would facilitate the custom controller I desire.

One last question though, has any thought been provided to allow additonal LEDs on any of the last 4 function keys or even an option to swap out the pause key for numlock with an LED as well?

Just ideas.

It is not impossible to add LEDs to more switches. It would require some rerouting probably. But the big problem might be that there are no free pins left on the controller. So at the moment there is only room for two different LED "channels". I could probably add them both to almost every key with some serious rethinking, but they would still only be two =) This could of course be "solved" by using the larger Teensy++, regrouping the rows and columns, or with some extra circuitry (multiplexers/demultiplexers).

From a theoretical point of view the required number of pins is in Ω(sqrt(N)) without multiplexers and in Ω(log(sqrt(N))) while using them =D (That was highly esotherical, and if anyone doesn't get it, just don't care)

Offline slueth

« Reply #163 on: Fri, 28 October 2011, 02:50:40 »
Would this work with a cmstorm quickfire tenkeyless?  I am really interested in a metal case and the teensy + pcb. I already have an extra teensy, so unless I need a teensy++ could I be in this GB without a teensy?

Offline 7bit

• MX1A-G1DW
« Reply #164 on: Fri, 28 October 2011, 06:37:17 »
I don't understand the PCB layout. Is it supposed to take 1.5 units modifiers with 1 unit keys between them, plus a 7 units space bar? Or 1.25 units modifiers and a 6.25 units space bar?

Also, is it possible to fit 4 extra key mounts left and right of the 7 units space bar main switch?

Would be great to have mounting holes in row 3 right from the SW:12 key to fit a 1.25 unit return key.

If yes, I'd be interested in more than one, if the price isn't killing me!

Thanks!

Just another thought:
What if there are bridges used for the connection between the cursor area and the main keyboard?

If there are no connections on the PCB itself, the HHKB clone would be easily made by just cutting off the cursor section!
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 October 2011, 07:11:37 by 7bit »
Buy key caps here: Round 5
Buy switches here: CherryMX

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #165 on: Fri, 28 October 2011, 07:22:53 »
Quote from: 7bit;441023
I don't understand the PCB layout. Is it supposed to take 1.5 units modifiers with 1 unit keys between them, plus a 7 units space bar? Or 1.25 units modifiers and a 6.25 units space bar?

Also, is it possible to fit 4 extra key mounts left and right of the 7 units space bar main switch?

Would be great to have mounting holes in row 3 right from the SW:12 key to fit a 1.25 unit return key.

If yes, I'd be interested in more than one, if the price isn't killing me!

Thanks!

It is designed to take either a
1.50 - 1.00 - 1.50 - 7.00 - 1.50 - 1.00 - 1.50
or a
1.25 - 1.25 - 1.25 - 6.25 - 1.25 - 1.25 - 1.25 - 1.25
setup for the space bar row.

I'm not sure of what the exact locations of your extra keys in that row are supposed to be located. Could you specify the width of all keys in the space bar row setup you'd like?

I can certainly add the extra 1.25 enter switch.

Quote from: 7bit;441023

Just another thought:
What if there are bridges used for the connection between the cursor area and the main keyboard?

If there are no connections on the PCB itself, the HHKB clone would be easily made by just cutting off the cursor section!

I don't think there will be any problem just chopping off unwanted sections of the PCB. There should be no traces venturing back and forth between the different sections. The controller will of course be lost cutting away the function row. It would have to be attached by wires in that case. I've done a mod like this to make a tenkeyless out of my symmetric stagger board. It works but it isn't pretty...

Offline 7bit

• MX1A-G1DW
« Reply #166 on: Fri, 28 October 2011, 07:32:31 »
Quote from: PrinsValium;441037
or a

I'm not sure of what the exact locations of your extra keys in that row are supposed to be located. Could you specify the width of all keys in the space bar row setup you'd like?

I can certainly add the extra 1.25 enter switch.

I don't think there will be any problem just chopping off unwanted sections of the PCB. There should be no traces venturing back and forth between the different sections. The controller will of course be lost cutting away the function row. It would have to be attached by wires in that case. I've done a mod like this to make a tenkeyless out of my symmetric stagger board. It works but it isn't pretty...

It would be
1.5|1|1.5|1.5|1.5|1|1.5|1.5|1.5|1|1.5
Or simpler:
1.5|1.5|1|1.5|1.5 instead of the 7 units space bar. Please notice, that the spacebar key needs no different place, just left and right 2 extra switches on each side.
(I will post a complete layout later)

It would be really great to have these extra mounts.

Thanks!

ps: It would be even possible to use a spherical 4 units space bar (1.5+1.1+5==4)!

edit:

ps: extra points for filling up the space between cursor T and those 6 other keys.
More extra points for removing the function row and adding a 5x2 function block to the left.
;-)
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 October 2011, 11:18:18 by 7bit »

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #167 on: Sun, 30 October 2011, 04:11:14 »
Quote from: 7bit;441040
[...]

Whatever rocks your boat I guess ; )

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 30344[/ATTACH]

Offline 7bit

• MX1A-G1DW
« Reply #168 on: Sun, 30 October 2011, 12:40:34 »
Quote from: PrinsValium;442161
Whatever rocks your boat I guess ; )
[PCB OF A DREAM KEYBOARD]

Awesome/yellow!

If this comes true, I will take at least 5 of them!
« Last Edit: Sun, 30 October 2011, 12:44:30 by 7bit »

Offline litster

« Reply #169 on: Sun, 30 October 2011, 13:28:08 »
So what are the next steps?  Wasn't BiNi investigating the metal plate before he went to Europe or something?

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #170 on: Sun, 30 October 2011, 13:46:01 »
Quote from: litster;442295
So what are the next steps?  Wasn't BiNi investigating the metal plate before he went to Europe or something?

Metal plates are cheap and easy to order. Like a 3 days turnaround. Once the PCB is finalized we can move forward.

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g

Offline litster

« Reply #171 on: Sun, 30 October 2011, 14:01:43 »
Cool!  Let's start the order list :-)

I am in for 2.

Offline 7bit

• MX1A-G1DW
« Reply #172 on: Sun, 30 October 2011, 15:00:52 »
Quote from: litster;442321
Cool!  Let's start the order list :-)

I am in for 2.

What about setting up an order thread in the Group Buys section of Geekhack and Deskthority and leave this for technical discussion?

2|litster
5|7bit

Offline litster

« Reply #173 on: Sun, 30 October 2011, 16:55:30 »
Yes, we should set up an order thread in the group buy forum.  PrinsValium and BiNiaRiS, what do you say?  I would be happy to help organize.

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #174 on: Mon, 31 October 2011, 02:02:26 »
I'm willing to do the PCB design (well already did), but not too keen on being the one coordinating the whole thing. I'm not even sure I will be using the PCB myself... The PCB is ready as long as noone has anything to add. It has been "done" for quite some time =) I can do the ordering from pcbwing.com and have them sent to someone in the states. That way we will be sure to avoid any sales tax. Or we have someone of you guys submitting the gerber files to the manufacturer.

I could then split and redistribute the PCBs to Europe if they are sent to me lumped together. Us Europeans probably are interested in having plates sent from the US as well. It should be a good idea to coordinate the PCB and mounting plate buys, I think.

I need to go over all the measurements one last time. And if anyone is willing to double check them that would be great. The plate is certainly more critical to get right than the PCB in this case though.

Offline slueth

« Reply #175 on: Mon, 31 October 2011, 02:09:10 »
I am interested, time to use those clear switches that I got off a POS Keyboard!!

Offline litster

« Reply #176 on: Mon, 31 October 2011, 02:40:45 »
What do you guys think about this:

- start a order thread here on GH and on Deskthority, count how many we need to make.  What is the miniumum number of PCBs before we close?  What does the volume discount look like?
- calculate how much each kit should cost: PCB + plate + shipping to distributor + paypal fee + shipping to buyer (may cost more if need second shippment form the US to our European distributor
- collect money to initiate PCB and plate orders
- BiNiaRiS orders some plates, it would be great if we can order the minimum order to make sure the plate is correct and matches the PCB
- Once plates are confirmed to be correct, then PrinsValium can order PCBs
- Need to find a European distrubutor (7bit?), if there aren't any, we will need to do it from the US
- It would be great if BiNiaRiS can receive PCBs and get the plates done so they can be sent out together.  I would be happy to help with distribution, but I'd rather not deal with money :-)
- will need to decide what to do with ordering switches and diodes (part of the kit or source switches on your own)
- same thing for stabilizers

What am I missing?

Offline 7bit

• MX1A-G1DW
« Reply #177 on: Mon, 31 October 2011, 03:15:38 »
Quote from: litster;442549
What do you guys think about this:

- start a order thread here on GH and on Deskthority, count how many we need to make.  What is the miniumum number of PCBs before we close?  What does the volume discount look like?

I'm busy with Round4 so it would be great if you or somone else would start these threads.

- calculate how much each kit should cost: PCB + plate + shipping to distributor + paypal fee + shipping to buyer (may cost more if need second shippment form the US to our European distributor

Shipping costs from Germany are lower than from most of the EU countries.
If it is only for the plates, we could get a bunch of those in one box sent to one location where the PCBs are. Maybe the PCB manufacturer is willing to split the order.

- collect money to initiate PCB and plate orders
- BiNiaRiS orders some plates, it would be great if we can order the minimum order to make sure the plate is correct and matches the PCB
- Once plates are confirmed to be correct, then PrinsValium can order PCBs

This would be a grat idea.

BTW: will the plates be for all variants the PCB allows or will there be dedicated plates?

- Need to find a European distrubutor (7bit?), if there aren't any, we will need to do it from the US

I could do this. Maybe together with others.

- It would be great if BiNiaRiS can receive PCBs and get the plates done so they can be sent out together.  I would be happy to help with distribution, but I'd rather not deal with money :-)
- will need to decide what to do with ordering switches and diodes (part of the kit or source switches on your own)

A switch group buy along with this would be great! Maybe others are interested as well so we can order more switches than actually needed for the Phantom.

I would need more than 500. We should start a switch group buy. I can organise collecting quantities.

Something like: Send this to 7bit_switch (or whatever we call that account)
MXBLACK 320
MXCLEAR 220

- same thing for stabilizers

What am I missing?

Luckily I don't need any stabilisers, what are they good for?
;-)

Offline litster

« Reply #178 on: Mon, 31 October 2011, 15:56:01 »
I think the original idea was to use your existing switches, stablizers, and outer case from your Filco tenkeyless keyboards.  So I think buyers will need to source their own parts.  One thing I missed is the controller.  What controller is required?  Teensy?  

BiNi, need your input here.  Do you want to drive this since you would be getting plates made?  Thanks.

Offline 7bit

• MX1A-G1DW
« Reply #179 on: Mon, 31 October 2011, 16:15:03 »
As far as I remember it should come with a Teensy controller.

Offline litster

« Reply #180 on: Tue, 01 November 2011, 19:36:40 »
OK, I just PM'ed the involved parties.  We will have an order thread soon to kick this off.

Offline litster

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #182 on: Wed, 02 November 2011, 07:16:05 »
A few questions:

Can I use Cherry PCB-mounted stabilizers, or do I need to take them from a plate-mounted board?

Can I use Cherry keys for the bottom row like:
1.5  1  1.5  -- 6 --  1.5  1  1  1.5

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #183 on: Wed, 02 November 2011, 07:24:02 »
B) The whole point of this board was to use Cherry bottom row keys in a Filco case...

A)  After looking at the parts (I've been designing a board as well) I don't think PCB mount stabilizers will work with a plate.  The PCB also is not drilled for that type of stabilizer.  If you have trouble sourcing plate mount Cherry stabilizers outside of the US then I'm sure someone can step up and assist (possibly me) as there are some sources here.  

Also, since this board was meant as a Filco PCB replacement, you might rather pick up a used Filco for the case and stabilizers, or perhaps a new CM Storm quick/rapid/??? as it has the same basic design.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #184 on: Wed, 02 November 2011, 09:17:26 »
Quote from: alaricljs;443974
B) The whole point of this board was to use Cherry bottom row keys in a Filco case...

Thanks, but I am wonder specifically about the key combination
1.5  1  1.5  -- 6 --  1.5  1  1  1.5.

The 6 key wide space bar is a bit special. It is from a G80-1800, G80-11800 or G80-11900 with windows keys, but it does not fit
on a G80-1800 without windows keys or on a G80-3000 with windows keys.

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #185 on: Wed, 02 November 2011, 09:21:01 »
Hmmmm...

Quote from: PrinsValium;441037
or a

Guess not.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline 7bit

• MX1A-G1DW
« Reply #186 on: Wed, 02 November 2011, 10:16:26 »
Quote from: Findecanor;444031

The 6 key wide space bar is a bit special. It is from a G80-1800, G80-11800 or G80-11900 with windows keys, but it does not fit

It depends on where the center switch is of the 6 units space bar is.

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #187 on: Wed, 02 November 2011, 13:24:22 »

This is the setup used on Realforces as well. I would have to look through this at home. If there is room for switch locations. There probably are a few more needed at least. I would have to know where the stems of the space bar is located as well. A mounting plate would probably need to be special order as well.

Offline Index

« Reply #188 on: Wed, 02 November 2011, 15:58:59 »
For the pcb, I'm curious why not just buy all the parts of the teensy and surface mount it directly on the pcb? I mean getting the parts and soldering on the pcb seems much nicer (and that's what I'm planning to do with my own keyboard project). As for loading the bootloader, it's pretty easy imo (then again, I have a B.S. in Computer Science).

I know it's late, just curious though.
Gaming Keyboard: Leopold FC200RT/ABN
Work Keyboard: HHKB Pro 2 PD-KB400B

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #189 on: Wed, 02 November 2011, 16:02:02 »
Difficulty between soldering a teensy and soldering the SMD Atmel chip is a bit of a jump.  Also the teensy has such a damned nice boot-loader.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #190 on: Wed, 02 November 2011, 20:20:51 »
Quote from: PrinsValium;444259

This is the setup used on Realforces as well. I would have to look through this at home. If there is room for switch locations. There probably are a few more needed at least. I would have to know where the stems of the space bar is located as well. A mounting plate would probably need to be special order as well.

I think I just did squish the additional mount locations in there =) I need to know the stem locations of all keys to be sure though. I assumed all centered for now. So now the PCB will actually be HHKB layout compatible for real..

Offline litster

« Reply #191 on: Wed, 02 November 2011, 21:18:43 »
Quote from: PrinsValium;444581
I think I just did squish the additional mount locations in there =) I need to know the stem locations of all keys to be sure though. I assumed all centered for now. So now the PCB will actually be HHKB layout compatible for real..

How many different front row layout we have now?  :-)  and times 2 for both ANSI and ISO.

Offline Glockateer

« Reply #192 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 10:32:56 »
This project is so awesome. I want that 7bit special...

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #193 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 10:35:08 »
Go place an order if you need any ideas for a layout i am working on one.

Offline Mr. Perfect

« Reply #194 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 15:21:51 »
You'll have to excuse me for not reading thirteen pages of chatter, but the FAQ doesn't  cover some stuff I'm curious about.

• What sort of rollover will this support. By any chance, will it be able to do full NKEY over USB like some of the community's other teensy controllers(Soarer, etc)?
  • Also, what happens if we haven't got a Filco case to put this in?
  • Does the PCB support PCB mounted switches? It might be nice to have an easily modded board, sans-plate.

Thanks.:confused:
Mr. Perfect - A name fraught with peril.

G80-8113HRBUS MX Clears, FC200R MX Clears, RK-9000v2 MX Blues.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #195 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 15:25:04 »
Quote from: Mr. Perfect;457658
You'll have to excuse me for not reading thirteen pages of chatter, but the FAQ doesn't  cover some stuff I'm curious about.

• What sort of rollover will this support. By any chance, will it be able to do full NKEY over USB like some of the community's other teensy controllers(Soarer, etc)?
  • Also, what happens if we haven't got a Filco case to put this in?
  • Does the PCB support PCB mounted switches? It might be nice to have an easily modded board, sans-plate.

Thanks.:confused:
The Group Buy has more info

They are still working on the firmware but at least 6KRO if not NKRO once complete
Im trying to work that out right now http://tinyurl.com/cul73nx
no the pcb will not take pcb mounted switches

Offline litster

« Reply #196 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 15:42:23 »
TheProfosist is correct.  We are at 6KRO now.  It would be great if someone would help port Soarer's NKRO code to Phantom.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #197 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 15:50:36 »
Quote from: litster;457677
TheProfosist is correct.  We are at 6KRO now.  It would be great if someone would help port Soarer's NKRO code to Phantom.
There is also Hazu's code that is used on the DOX.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #198 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 15:59:09 »
Quote from: Mr. Perfect;457658
3. Does the PCB support PCB mounted switches? It might be nice to have an easily modded board, sans-plate.

I think I remember reading that the plate would have access holes to facilitate solderless switch modding.  Is that right?

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #199 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 16:00:18 »
Quote from: hashbaz;457691
I think I remember reading that the plate would have access holes to facilitate solderless switch modding.  Is that right?
Yes, I also remember H shape holes being discussed.