Author Topic: O rings thingy for ALPS?  (Read 16927 times)

Offline trax

O rings thingy for ALPS?
« on: Fri, 06 January 2012, 16:24:52 »
Can you achieve the same like O-rings do but then on ALPS switches?
Switches tried so far
Cherry MX Red Blue Black Clear
ALPS White Black (fake)Blue
Montereys
ACER
White Black
Futaba
Buckling Sprin

Offline Findecanor

O rings thingy for ALPS?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 06 January 2012, 17:01:04 »
Yes. You replace the sliders with cream-coloured sliders which have dampeners built in. The "cream ALPS" switches are found in Apple Extended Keyboard II and Silicon Graphics' keyboards, among others. With other sliders, these switches feel a lot like black ALPS.
See the ALPS Switches wiki page.

Offline trax

O rings thingy for ALPS?
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 06 January 2012, 17:26:08 »
Quote from: Findecanor;484960
Yes. You replace the sliders with cream-coloured sliders which have dampeners built in. The "cream ALPS" switches are found in Apple Extended Keyboard II and Silicon Graphics' keyboards, among others. With other sliders, these switches feel a lot like black ALPS.
See the ALPS Switches wiki page.

I want to remove the sound of bottoming out, not reducing the clicky sound.
Switches tried so far
Montereys
ACER
White Black
Futaba
Buckling Sprin

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
O rings thingy for ALPS?
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 06 January 2012, 18:22:17 »
If anybody wants an Apple Extended Keyboard II for cheap, let me know. I have one that looks pretty good, if a little dirty, and untested.

It has a good set of Alps keycaps and dampened cream switches. $20 shipped domestic US, but I don't want to have to be the one to dismantle it for that price to save a ten-spot in shipping.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
O rings thingy for ALPS?
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 06 January 2012, 19:36:48 »
Quote from: trax;484942
Can you achieve the same like O-rings do but then on ALPS switches?

ALPS stems are not completely round, so it could be a problem. however, O-rings are relatively stretchy so it might work. let me test it on my black alps when i get home tonight and i'll report back.

Offline jkercado

• Green XM clickclacker
O rings thingy for ALPS?
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 06 January 2012, 21:02:32 »
I'd like to know the result of this.

Ducky 1087XM Green | Unicomp Ultra Classic Black | IBM M4 | 1989 IBM Model M | Genius i200 | Cherry G84-4100 | Microsoft Arc Keyboard

Offline trax

O rings thingy for ALPS?
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 07 January 2012, 04:11:58 »
Quote from: WhiteFireDragon;485049
ALPS stems are not completely round, so it could be a problem. however, O-rings are relatively stretchy so it might work. let me test it on my black alps when i get home tonight and i'll report back.

Thanks yo.
Switches tried so far
Montereys
ACER
White Black
Futaba
Buckling Sprin

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
O rings thingy for ALPS?
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 07 January 2012, 15:54:38 »
good news, it fits! it took out most of the bottom-out noise, but there's still a little bit of noise from the keys when it bounces back up to top resting position (this you can't do anything about).

at first, i thought fitting the o-rings on might be a problem because MX cherries and ALPS are inverses: on cherry MX's, the "+" switch of the board goes inside the stem of the key caps. on ALPS, the stem of the keycaps goes inside the switches on the keyboard. normal O-rings can only fit on the keycap stem, but this doesn't seem to be a problem. although it works, i think getting Orings a little bit larger so it can wrap around the actual switch might be a better option.

Offline trax

O rings thingy for ALPS?
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 07 January 2012, 18:37:42 »
Quote from: WhiteFireDragon;485508
good news, it fits! it took out most of the bottom-out noise, but there's still a little bit of noise from the keys when it bounces back up to top resting position (this you can't do anything about).

at first, i thought fitting the o-rings on might be a problem because MX cherries and ALPS are inverses: on cherry MX's, the "+" switch of the board goes inside the stem of the key caps. on ALPS, the stem of the keycaps goes inside the switches on the keyboard. normal O-rings can only fit on the keycap stem, but this doesn't seem to be a problem. although it works, i think getting Orings a little bit larger so it can wrap around the actual switch might be a better option.

**** yea, thanks.
Switches tried so far
Montereys
ACER
White Black
Futaba
Buckling Sprin

Offline jkercado

• Green XM clickclacker
O rings thingy for ALPS?
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 08 January 2012, 16:40:53 »
Quote from: WhiteFireDragon;485508

Can you take a couple of pics, please?

Ducky 1087XM Green | Unicomp Ultra Classic Black | IBM M4 | 1989 IBM Model M | Genius i200 | Cherry G84-4100 | Microsoft Arc Keyboard

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
O rings thingy for ALPS?
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 08 January 2012, 17:36:54 »
yeah i'll take a couple pics of the o-rings on there, i think pics will do more justice. i'll post back here when it's done an uploaded

Offline sordna

O rings thingy for ALPS?
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 08 January 2012, 18:06:01 »
Is an ID of 9.5mm ok or too big for ALPS? I found these larger o-rings on Amazon (-012):
http://www.amazon.com/Buna-N--Ring-Durometer-Round-Black/dp/B0051XWXOC

EDIT: There's also 7.9mm ones (-011) which might be a good fit:
http://www.amazon.com/Buna-N--Ring-Durometer-Round-Black/dp/B0051XWXMY
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 January 2012, 18:41:57 by sordna »
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
O rings thingy for ALPS?
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 08 January 2012, 20:13:56 »
ok got a few pics and a video. there are 2 ways to put the O-rings on ALPS switches: around the keycap stem, or around the switches on the keyboard. first pic shows it on the cap stems, which i don't think is ideal. 2nd pic shows it on the alps switch. click on the picture to enlarge it:

it fits pretty loose on the stem, but that shouldn't be a problem

putting it on the switch takes more patience than putting them on cherry MX, because they have to be stretched to go around (it does fit though). it's hard because as you try to put them on, the switches depress as you apply pressure to put the o-rings on. luckily these o-rings are soft enough to stretch this wide, so it's more like an oval. O-ring on key 1 is a normal standard one, key 2 has the larger fat O-ring, and key 3 is without any O-rings

i'm uploading a video of the sound characteristics of this O-ring mod right now, and i'll post it when finished
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 January 2012, 20:16:49 by WhiteFireDragon »

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
O rings thingy for ALPS?
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 08 January 2012, 21:06:46 »
here's the video

[video=youtube_share;aNDmHGRsmnM]http://youtu.be/aNDmHGRsmnM[/video]

This was done on a ABS M1 mechanical keyboard with black ALPS switch, they were pressed with the same amount of force. here are the corresponding keys:

keycap #1: 40A durometer, 3/16" ID, 5/16" OD, 1/16" W
keycap #2: 40A durometer, 3/16" ID, 3/8" OD, 3/32" W
keycap #3: stock key, no O-ring mod

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
O rings thingy for ALPS?
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 08 January 2012, 21:14:12 »
Quote from: sordna;486203
Is an ID of 9.5mm ok or too big for ALPS? I found these larger o-rings on Amazon (-012):
http://www.amazon.com/Buna-N--Ring-Durometer-Round-Black/dp/B0051XWXOC

EDIT: There's also 7.9mm ones (-011) which might be a good fit:
http://www.amazon.com/Buna-N--Ring-Durometer-Round-Black/dp/B0051XWXMY
9.5mm ID is most likely too big, the fat ones i have has a OD of 9.5mm, and it looks a tiny big bigger than the switch, so it'll be a loose fit. and a 12.2mm OD on those might not even fit inside the keycap. the ones with 7.9mm ID might be good though.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

O rings thingy for ALPS?
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 08 January 2012, 22:33:28 »
The dampened sliders shouldn't remove the click at all. That isn't how they work. Although the thing you are modding would obviously have to be clicky to begin with. The way the sliders are set up though, they remove both bottoming AND topping clacks. They should even work with simplified switches.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline sordna

O rings thingy for ALPS?
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 08 January 2012, 22:38:59 »
Nice video, and good sound. I can hear that keyboard ring!
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline GLaDOS

Re: O rings thingy for ALPS?
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 07:12:15 »
Sorry for the necrobump but I don't want to clutter the forums. I've installed some o-rings on to my AT102W. If anyone's interested I'll upload a video/sound clip of them.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 15:26:52 »
Quote from: Findecanor;484960
Yes. You replace the sliders with cream-coloured sliders which have dampeners built in.

I want to remove the sound of bottoming out, not reducing the clicky sound.
The dampened sliders shouldn't remove the click at all.
I'm sorry, I did not see trax's post before GlaDOS had bumped the thread. False_Dmitry tells the truth. The dampening on the sliders does not impart the click sound at all.

I hade mod'ed my Dell AT101W so that the switches have sliders from "Cream" Alps but tops and "click leafs" from "White" Alps. They are clicky, but the sounds of bottoming down and snapping up are dampened.

On Cherry MX, the tactility/click is in the slider, but on Alps, the tactility/click is in a leaf spring called "tactile leaf" or "click leaf". Even though Alps sliders have different colours, they are all mostly the same shape. For instance, you can put a White slider into a Black switch and it will feel the same.
If you remove the tactile leaf, then the switch becomes linear. Because tactile leafs have different shapes, the top of the switch can also be a different shape, so it is best to swap that too. All switch bottoms are the same, though. Another difference from Cherry MX is that all Alps SKCL/SKCM switches can be opened without removing them from the PCB/plate.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 July 2013, 15:44:36 by Findecanor »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 05:52:58 »
For the record, EK's soft-landing pads work fine with ALPS.