Author Topic: windows xp eol (eos) day  (Read 6171 times)

Offline blackbox

windows xp eol (eos) day
« on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 14:31:55 »
So, today is xp eol (eos) day. What do you think about it being eol now after so many years. Any godd/horrible memories from the days you used xp?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/enterprise/end-of-support.aspx
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
Re: windows xp eol (eos) day
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 14:37:08 »
Good opportunity to replace all thise ATMs with Linux

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 14:44:06 »

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 14:46:21 »
RIP WinXP, you had a good long life...

Time to start the mass Win7 upgrades.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline blackbox

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 14:48:54 »
Good opportunity to replace all thise ATMs with Linux

Indeed, thou I doubt it will happen anytime soons.

(Attachment Link)

well, it eXPired many years ago :) 13 years is a alot of time (obviosly).
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!

Offline blackbox

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 14:51:38 »

The mass upgrades has already begun. This is the mass upgrades for those who tought:

oh ****, xp is end of support today! Lets upgrade now!

The LAN table!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 14:51:41 »

I really liked XP for a long time until I finally went to Windows 7, I've tried 8 but for now I'll stick with 7.

XP was a good OS.

Offline Zombly

• Zombie Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 14:52:56 »
XP was great, especially compared to vista.
In the process of my custom Zombie board
[WTB MX Zombro's]

Offline blackbox

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 14:53:18 »

I really liked XP for a long time until I finally went to Windows 7, I've tried 8 but for now I'll stick with 7.

XP was a good OS.
when did you switch to 7? Do you think 7 is going to be the new xp for you?

The LAN table!

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 14:53:45 »

XP was a good OS.

I was the same way, was reluctant to upgrade from XP to 7. Now, after using 7/8 for so long, being forced to use XP at work is almost torture. I mean, it's still a good OS, but NO SNAP FEATURE!  >:D
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 14:54:32 »
Going to miss XP, even though I'm pretty much off it now. I upgraded my last XP machine to linux mint last year.

XP was the first OS I really used and worked with. I had older versions of windows growing up, but by the time I knew just enough about computers to get into trouble, XP was where it was at.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline blackbox

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 14:54:49 »
XP was great, especially compared to vista.

oh yes indeed! Vista was a mistake for microsoft(although an important step to make win7).

The LAN table!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 14:56:03 »

XP was a good OS.

oh definitely, its been a few years on Windows 7 for me

Offline blackbox

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 14:58:33 »

XP was a good OS.

I was the same way, was reluctant to upgrade from XP to 7. Now, after using 7/8 for so long, being forced to use XP at work is almost torture. I mean, it's still a good OS, but NO SNAP FEATURE!  >:D

yes, thats a habbit I have from the OSes I use. It always irritates me when it dosent work.

Going to miss XP, even though I'm pretty much off it now. I upgraded my last XP machine to linux mint last year.

XP was the first OS I really used and worked with. I had older versions of windows growing up, but by the time I knew just enough about computers to get into trouble, XP was where it was at.

Congrats upgrading to mint! Wich version are you using? How was the switch from xp to mint?

The LAN table!

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 15:02:47 »
Soon as 7 came out I switched and never looked back. It's fun to reminisce about XP but I don't miss it, I remember trying to search for things...

Though it's funny the number of people who are like "guess all businesses are going to switch to Linux now!"... I mean, its fun to dream and all..

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 15:06:59 »
I really loved having a stripped down version of xp on a 32gb ssd for benching runs.  Perfect os for that. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 16:02:11 »

Congrats upgrading to mint! Wich version are you using? How was the switch from xp to mint?
Mint 15. I didn't have any issues except the known issue with the mouse. Not really all that fun, but I've got it mostly working now.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline blackbox

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 16:04:12 »

Mint 15. I didn't have any issues except the known issue with the mouse. Not really all that fun, but I've got it mostly working now.

What mouse do you have?

The LAN table!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 16:05:01 »
Now all the old computers are gonna run vista
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline blackbox

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 16:07:33 »
Now all the old computers are gonna run vista

IMO I don't think so.way more xp PCs that will still be outdated.

The LAN table!

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 16:12:38 »

What mouse do you have?

Well, it was the touchpad in the laptop -- but the issue I'm referring to is the mouse acceleration slider being wonky by default, and mislabelled to boot.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 16:50:50 »

What mouse do you have?

Well, it was the touchpad in the laptop -- but the issue I'm referring to is the mouse acceleration slider being wonky by default, and mislabelled to boot.

I see. Grats with 0.1k!

The LAN table!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 17:37:02 »
My games machine and a few virtual machines still run XP.

Can't afford to upgrade atm, and it is questionable whether Windows 7 would provide real benefits on my ageing hardware.

It still works, it has a clean and simple interface (before Microsoft fscked up and rearranged everything for the sake of rearranging it - twice).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 17:41:02 »

XP was one of those great releases, like DOS 2.15, 3.3, 6.22 or Windows 98

I switched to 7 soon after 8 came out.

I would jump over to Linux (I have dabbled with Ubuntu since about 10.04) but so many things "just don't work" (cough* wireless *cough) and there are no really viable databases or CAD programs.

Also - I have a 40GB hard drive supposedly devoted to Ubuntu 12.04 but it always just goes dark within a few months after I get it up and running.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 18:01:39 »
Good riddance! XP was like that annoying guy you were friends with in junior high that likes to turn up to your house when they are drunk and stay for WAY WAY longer than you like.
8.1 is actually pretty nice even on old weak hardware. I've stuck it on a couple old systems with AMD Geode (Athlon XP low wattage version) or VIA C7 for laughs and it amazingly runs pretty well as long as you don't try to multitask much (or any, depending on the applications). If I raised the memory from 1GB to 2GB I think it would be just fine.
Embrace 8.1! It is a very good OS and is actually a lot nicer and much less resource intensive than 7. It's a very good upgrade.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 00:40:09 »
I would jump over to Linux (I have dabbled with Ubuntu since about 10.04) but so many things "just don't work" (cough* wireless *cough) and there are no really viable databases or CAD programs.
Mysql and freecad?

http://www.osalt.com/search?q=cad

what wireless chipsett do you have?

Back on topic, stories about xp:

I once met an technician from a equipment producer in 2011 that said:

We are a serious business, we do not use toys like windows 7

Another thing that irritates me is equipment that you absolutely depend on that is only compatible with xp.

The LAN table!

Offline wcass

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 12:30:26 »
I'm an XP fan too. I built my employer's WinPE environment with full (wired) network, WMI, and VBS scripting support - all under 64 MB. I know that OS better than the back of my hand.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 12:36:38 »
I'm an XP fan too. I built my employer's WinPE environment with full (wired) network, WMI, and VBS scripting support - all under 64 MB. I know that OS better than the back of my hand.

cool, is it still in use?

The LAN table!

Offline wcass

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 13:16:29 »
it is capible of it, but no longer used. the corporate Win7 is about 30GB. they are useing USB drives now for OS deployments.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 13:42:07 »
it is capible of it, but no longer used. the corporate Win7 is about 30GB. they are useing USB drives now for OS deployments.

ah, Probably want to avoid so much network traffic.

The LAN table!

Offline Tranquilite

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 17:26:49 »
I'm actually more sad that support has now ended for office 2003. I only recently upgraded to office 2013.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 17:29:04 »
I used it for many years and I updated to 7 only due to some basic software required it, but now I did not regret it.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 02:24:11 »
I'm actually more sad that support has now ended for office 2003. I only recently upgraded to office 2013.

I remeber when I sat in the IT service desk and helped people upgrade from 2003 to 2010. People was so frustrated by the new ribbon UI. This calmed many down:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/support/office-ribbon-find-commands-FX101851541.aspx

The LAN table!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 06:17:04 »

I remeber when I sat in the IT service desk and helped people upgrade from 2003 to 2010. People was so frustrated by the new ribbon UI. This calmed many down:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/support/office-ribbon-find-commands-FX101851541.aspx

I still don't like the ribbon - the way sometimes it switches context, sometimes doesn't.

Sometimes return to Home, sometimes doesn't.

The way keyboard shortcuts still work, and are considerably quicker than struggling through the ribbon, but I get the feeling they won't be around forever.

The way that you search through the ribbon for something, and end up with a dialog box that looks exactly the same as it did in previous versions.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 06:32:44 »

I still don't like the ribbon - the way sometimes it switches context, sometimes doesn't.

It has taken me years to get used to it. I am not an Office "power user" and it takes me a long time to find something I don't use regularly.

When I first heard about it, I thought "OK, as long as they leave "Format" alone, I will deal with the rest of it."

To my horror, they eliminated it altogether, took the contents of the (for me, most important) category, and scattered them willy-nilly through all the other categories.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline blackbox

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 06:51:25 »
I learned to accept the ribbon trough a series of office certifications. I still prefer the classical menu.

The LAN table!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 08:06:09 »
I do not like the ribbon either, but what frustrates me the most is the file services pointing you to the cloud storage while what you only need is to save or open a file in your computer's SDD/HDD.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 01:33:21 »
Don't get me started on what they did to the control panel between XP and 7 (I managed to skip Vista).

Offline Malphas

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 11:02:23 »
I think the Ribbon is a vast improvement to the File Menu frankly. Things are grouped logically, while the File Menu may have seemed more intuitive because we were used to it, but it's actually a lot more arbitrary. I also find doing the same tasks in Ribbon takes less clicks.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 11:03:42 »
I don't like category view in control panel either. I don't see it as any use. You can make it default to all items with a simple registry tweak.

I have gotten used to the ribbon in Windows 8.x explorer and do think it is a lot better than the old menus. In office however... they really do need to work on that a great deal more. A lot more work needs to be done to show things that are relevant in context. Smart context is one of the things Adobe got really right in more recent CS applications.
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 April 2014, 11:08:53 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 11:34:12 »
Isn't windows in general EOL at this point? How many decades of garbage can they get away with?

Offline Malphas

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 11:50:56 »
I'd love to ditch Windows if all the alternatives weren't worse.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 11:55:03 »
I'd love to ditch Windows if all the alternatives weren't worse.

Haha. Aren't all the other options better? I guess trying to replace windows with the android os would be tough still, but there is a lot of other options.

Offline Malphas

« Reply #43 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 14:01:01 »
Linux, awful. OS X, meh, plus requires buying a Mac or pissing around making a Hackintosh. ReactOS is still pre-pre-alpha. And let's not even bother mentioning the likes of OpenBSD, Solaris, whatever - I'd rather use DOS.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 14:27:51 »
Linux, awful.

What's so bad about linux? Works pretty near flawlessly for anything I use it for, save for gaming. Although seeing as I only really play TF2 and L4D2 anymore, linux really meets all my needs. It's quite nice.

Offline Malphas

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 14:39:53 »
It's an ugly, fragmented mess, and the software available for it is appalling (consumer software I mean, not networking tools, server software, text editors, etc.).

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #46 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 15:33:35 »
& even things like hardware drivers... printers in particular.

Been awhile since ive upgraded any linux stuff, but for the more casuals 'plug n play' existing for 99% of hardware is a must. Linux flavors have their place, and its not in the mainstream. Unless you're Apple, and can keep every user on life-support.