Author Topic: W key not clicking (MX cherry blue)  (Read 5545 times)

Offline Tickinginsanity

W key not clicking (MX cherry blue)
« on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 02:04:56 »
Ok last month i got a black widow 2013 its great until the F key stoped clicking!!..So i returned it to best buy and 10 days later GUESS WHAT!!! my W isnt clicking right..Like sometimes it wont click then sometimes itll click but not loud like my others!!..I know its a MX blue cause it clicks! how do i fix this!!!  :mad:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: W key not clicking (MX cherry blue)
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 02:08:25 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

This is not uncommon with MX blues.

I have a Ducky with MX blues and the up arrow and X keys did not click at all.

I totally spammed the keys, the up arrow in particular, and after a week or so of that (programming and editing, repeatedly pressing the key instead of holding it down to move up in a file) it did start to click.

The X less so, although depending on what angle you hit the X you get a louder or softer click.

Apart from that, you'd need to replace the switch (open keyboard, void warranty, desolder old switch, solder new switch, close keyboard).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Tickinginsanity

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 02:11:02 »
So i should wait..Then if dont in a week i should re-turn it.Cause if it doesnt work in a week ima buy a new MX blue keyboard..Cause this is teh 2nd time!!!!!!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 02:18:00 »
Press the key a few hundred times.

If it still doesn't click, chances re it will never click.

Or if you press it a few more thousand times it might start clicking.

If you look at the GIF on this page, the click happens when the white bit hits the bottom of the switch.

In your W just isn't making it all the way to the bottom - repeatedly mashing the key might loosen up what is sticking, or might not.

If you have the opportunity to return it, definitely don't void your warranty.  Hopefully the third time you will be lucky :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Tickinginsanity

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 05:47:53 »
Can i like take it out with out soildering and i could clean it???

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 09:52:00 »
no.  did you spill something?  you might be able to remove the top of the switch and take a look at the spring and the stem to see if something is wrong.  you just need a switch top removal tool or some binder clips.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 10:41:18 »
you might be able to remove the top of the switch and take a look at the spring and the stem to see if something is wrong.  you just need a switch top removal tool or some binder clips.

That does not work with stock keyboards.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 10:47:30 »
you play fps's with this board? maybe you held down "W" to run foward too long. in any event desolder and replace buy extra blues from mouser.com or swap switches with like "W" and "~" tilde, something not used often.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 10:54:41 »
you play fps's with this board? maybe you held down "W" to run foward too long. in any event desolder and replace buy extra blues from mouser.com or swap switches with like "W" and "~" tilde, something not used often.

I don't think that a switch should fail after a month already. And keeping it held down for a longer time causes pretty much no wear at all on the switch mechanism, pressing it repeatedly is "worse". Still, regarding how many activations a MX switch is rated for it should not even be close to worn out after a month.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 00:41:57 »
Can i like take it out with out soildering and i could clean it???

No, with the stock plate you pretty much have to desolder and completely remove the switch before you can disassemble it.  And even then it is unlikely that there is something simple that you can fix inside the switch - it probably has a small manufacturing defect that does not click properly.  The key does register, right?

I don't think that a switch should fail after a month already. And keeping it held down for a longer time causes pretty much no wear at all on the switch mechanism, pressing it repeatedly is "worse". Still, regarding how many activations a MX switch is rated for it should not even be close to worn out after a month.

I solved one not-clicking and one rarely-clicks switches by repeatedly pressing them.  Even now they are not 100%, but at least they are better than they used to be.

Offline Tickinginsanity

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 01:59:34 »
OK!!! i returned it and i got the new version of the blackwidow the one with green MX switches!! AND THEIRS ****ING 5 KEYS THAT HAVE NO CLICK DA****!!! WHY AM I GETTING BAD LUCK!!! Its the n,r, <,Q,e

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 02:01:00 »
lolwut

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 02:22:23 »
OK!!! i returned it and i got the new version of the blackwidow the one with green MX switches!! AND THEIRS ****ING 5 KEYS THAT HAVE NO CLICK DA****!!! WHY AM I GETTING BAD LUCK!!! Its the n,r, <,Q,e

The NEW BlackWidow?  It has green switches, but they are not MX.  They are clone switches which are similar to MX blues.  Supposedly clicky.

Maybe their quality is not so high after all.

Offline Tickinginsanity

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 02:37:31 »
I know!!!! whats a good MX green keyboard!!..I love the greens tho..dat click

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 02:42:06 »
QFR?

Code?

Something Ducky?

My MX green board is a QFS - very consistent click across the board, probably the most consistent of all my clicky keyboards.

Offline Tickinginsanity

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 02:48:30 »
Ok well is their another way to fix it..I wish i had a camera..Well i can use my laptop..**** it lets do it...Ok ima post a video to show you whats up.

Offline Tickinginsanity

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 02:56:02 »
Ok here it is..Sorry for potatoe camera..

Offline Tickinginsanity

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 04:30:14 »
BUMP!

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 04:34:19 »
bump after 2 hours????

Offline blackbox

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 04:42:35 »

The NEW BlackWidow?  It has green switches, but they are not MX.  They are clone switches which are similar to MX blues.  Supposedly clicky.

Maybe their quality is not so high after all.

As sugested seems like a problem with quality/quality checking.
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 05:53:08 »

The new Black Widow does not have MX switches!
It's Razers own switches, not made by Cherry and they are not called MX.
If you want a similar board, don't look for MX Green switches, look for MX Blue switches as they are the equivalent to the green Razer switches. Most boards are available with MX Blue switches.
I guess you want backlighting as you like the Black Widow? Then I would suggest you to get a Ducky keyboard.