Author Topic: Mechanical keyboards are a scam  (Read 26163 times)

Offline theferenc

Mechanical keyboards are a scam
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 02 July 2011, 12:48:03 »
I'll take your BS keyboards, TacticalCoder, especially your industrial. What do you say, $30 for the lot? That would allow you to replace each of them with a nice shiny $5 rubber dome keyboard.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #51 on: Sat, 02 July 2011, 13:38:39 »
Quote from: theferenc;372022
I'll take your BS keyboards, TacticalCoder, especially your industrial. What do you say, $30 for the lot? That would allow you to replace each of them with a nice shiny $5 rubber dome keyboard.

$30 for the lot sounds fair and I give you free shipping ; )

Seriously though: at the moment you can apparently buy NOS full-size industrial case from Unicomp so you may want to get one for your 1391401.  And don't wait too long: that stock may not last long (I ordered one full-size industrial case top and bottom from Unicomp as part of a french group buy).
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline MrGPhantome

« Reply #52 on: Sat, 02 July 2011, 14:00:13 »
i think good typists with good technique, or at least those who are interested in becoming good typists are the only people who really achieve the benefits of an mechanical keyboard. I have a feeling most people come into thinking that a mechanical keyboard will automatically make them better typists, but the fact is that practice is what makes someone better at anything like typing.
"It\'s true what they say... If you dress Hitler up in a nice sweater... He\'s still f****** Adolf Hitler." - Cinema Snob

Offline Wihl

« Reply #53 on: Sat, 02 July 2011, 14:11:30 »
This forum seems so easy to troll o.O

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #54 on: Sat, 02 July 2011, 14:25:03 »
It is, feel free to give it a go.
$5 RUBBERDOMES FTW!!!!1!!!1!!one!!!

Offline liist

« Reply #55 on: Sat, 02 July 2011, 15:34:21 »
Everyone else at the office (sweatshop with computers) think I got scammed with my Filco, and are content on using the cheap Dells. Too bad they aren't in on it.
Kinesis Advantage, Filco Majestouch-2 104, Unicomp Spacesaver with blank keys, Several IBM Model M\'s, two Microsoft keyboards (forever retired)

Offline Dali

« Reply #56 on: Sat, 02 July 2011, 16:49:09 »
Successful troll is succesful!

BRB selling my mechs and getting $5 rubberdomes.
My keyboard journey: KBC Poker X, KMAC 2, Realforce R2 PFU, F77 Model F

Offline flaming_june

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 02 July 2011, 17:11:31 »
Quote from: liist;372090
Everyone else at the office (sweatshop with computers) think I got scammed with my Filco, and are content on using the cheap Dells. Too bad they aren't in on it.

They're okay with your blues being so loud?

Offline Tony

« Reply #58 on: Sun, 03 July 2011, 00:18:07 »
For most people a $5 rubber dome is sufficient. Only a few percent who are typists or frequent gamers need mechanical keyboards.

Filco, Ducky, Topre all know it but they "forgot" to tell customers, getting more profit by the way.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline Dali

« Reply #59 on: Sun, 03 July 2011, 00:21:58 »
For anybody who spends an embarrassingly long time in front of a computer, a good keyboard is a decent investment.
My keyboard journey: KBC Poker X, KMAC 2, Realforce R2 PFU, F77 Model F

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
« Reply #60 on: Sun, 03 July 2011, 00:29:17 »
A $50 bicycle is sufficient for almost everyone, but that doesn't mean almost everyone can appreciate a nicer ride even if only ever going on Sunday rides down to the ice cream stand.

Offline Trueepower

« Reply #61 on: Sun, 03 July 2011, 01:59:24 »
If they feel better than they are better for you. There is no guarantee that any keyboard will make you type faster, that is ridiculous. People like mechanical keyboards overall because of the feel. There is no "guaranteed claim" that they will make you type faster or make fewer errors.

Obviously a Troll thread, but I like typing on my mechanical so much that I decided to respond!
Topre Realforce 87ub 55g Topre Realforce 87ub 45g
Luxeed MK5

Offline NeeGo

« Reply #62 on: Sun, 03 July 2011, 03:27:19 »
Quote from: Trueepower;372321
If they feel better than they are better for you. There is no guarantee that any keyboard will make you type faster, that is ridiculous. People like mechanical keyboards overall because of the feel. There is no "guaranteed claim" that they will make you type faster or make fewer errors.

Obviously a Troll thread, but I like typing on my mechanical so much that I decided to respond!

I really don't think that my WPM has increased much (if not at all) with the Model M, but I actually ENJOY typing now when I normally wouldn't care.

Offline MrGPhantome

« Reply #63 on: Sun, 03 July 2011, 04:49:33 »
I think mechanical keyboards do something more important for the user than just increasing typing speed. For me ever since switching to a mechanical keyboard my wrists and finger pains have pretty much disappeared. Mostly due to the fact that I'm not constantly bottoming out on keys anymore and applying unnecessary force on my joints. It's also much easier to type in the proper posture which also helps with fatigue which allows me to type and be productive for much longer.
"It\'s true what they say... If you dress Hitler up in a nice sweater... He\'s still f****** Adolf Hitler." - Cinema Snob

Offline jpc

« Reply #64 on: Sun, 03 July 2011, 07:48:29 »
Ripster has that Bernie Madoff SSK, it's the smoking gun that confirms the OP.

OP has a point. If you use QWERTY layout to hunt-and-peck at heavy Model M switches, you may find yourself in pain. Ask me how I know.

So spend $1000, buy ten fancy keyboards with various switches and form factors, you'll probably find one or two you like. Nothing scam-like about it :)

RSI prevention recipe:[/B] Kinesis Contoured, Colemak layout, touch typing, Contour Design Rollermouse,  Logitech TrackMan Wheel, Logitech m570 trackball, "workrave" break timer software, "awesome" window manager, tenkeyless boards, cherry browns, Wang 724 with "ghetto green" ALPS, standing desk and/or comfy adjustable chairs, stress reduction, computer time reduction.

Fun non-ergonomic things: bolt modded Model M Space Saving Keyboards with new springs, Kensington Expert Mouse v7, Unicomp Endurapro, Northgates

Offline Hydroid

• http://justin.tv/hydr0id
« Reply #65 on: Sun, 03 July 2011, 08:02:22 »
Personally I couldn't care less if my mechanical keyboard makes me type faster or more accurately than a rubber dome. As a lot of Apple die hards will say, its not all about the specs but about the experience as a whole. I spend roughly 12-14 hours every day in front of my computer, and so being able to enjoy it is a big factor for me. If the typing experience feels good (sex for the fingers good) then it justifies the keyboard over a rubber dome even if my typing speed stays the same. My typing speed has gone up about 10-15wpm since I got mine, but just to be able to start typing each day and just be filled with pleasure is what makes it special for me. Car fanatics will tell you the same thing about their restored classic or exotic sports car. On regular roads they can't drive faster than everyone else but that doesn't mean they should drive a hybrid. If they personally appreciate the car and get great pleasure from driving it they are justified in owning and driving the car.
Intel Core i7 870 @ 2.93GHz | Corsair H50 | 16GB G.Skill DDR3 | Asus P7P55D-E Pro | Galaxy nVidia GeForce GTX 460 SLI
OCZ 60GB SSD | 2x 1TB Seagate Barracuda RAID-0 | Samsung Blu-Ray Burner | Corsair HX-850W | 2x BenQ G2420HD 24"

Leopold FC200R Tenkeyless Blue | Ducky DK9008(B) Blue | Qsenn DT-35 Black PS/2 Rubber Dome |2x Razer Lycosa USB | Microsoft 500 PS/2

Help me support and grow e-sports below!!!
What Happens in Starcraft -- Vlogs -- Twitter

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #66 on: Sun, 03 July 2011, 09:00:12 »
Car fanatics will tell you the same thing about their restored classic or exotic sports car. On regular roads they can't drive faster than everyone else but that doesn't mean they should drive a hybrid. If they personally appreciate the car and get great pleasure from driving it they are justified in owning and driving the car.

As stated before is more or less the same of Hi-End hifi mania, some people buys Vacuum tube aplifiers because think they are better, some others buy them because are trendy, exclusive, uncommon and so on.

But as in that sector doesn't mean that everything else is crap by default, the glorious (and cheap) NAD 3020 was not just a transistor based amplifier (no jfet, mosfet, tubes, funky power supplies) but was based on the 2N3055 that was the cheapest and the more mainstream power transistor ever built, and was a damn good amplifier.
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline N8N

« Reply #67 on: Sun, 03 July 2011, 09:13:39 »
Quote from: PrinsValium;372314
A $50 bicycle is sufficient for almost everyone, but that doesn't mean almost everyone can appreciate a nicer ride even if only ever going on Sunday rides down to the ice cream stand.

Ummm...  I don't know where you can get a bicycle that'll last more  than a hundred miles for $50...  I say this as someone who just came inside from a short ride on one that I essentially built myself on an old (really old) Trek touring frame... wheels and drivetrain alone probably cost me $4-500 and I was being very frugal (buying couple year old NIB parts on eBay etc.) and all the labor was by YT save for building the wheels (I now have most of the tools to do it, just need a tensiometer and dish gauge, so maybe someday I will try that too.)

I get your point that you were trying to make, but disagree with the example you used.  If you want to use something long term and not have it piss you off or fail on you at an inconvemient moment, it's worth paying for quality.  Two ways to buy stuff:  buy cheap, and know that you just bought a consumable, and you'll have to replace it eventually.  Or pay the money and buy quality and know that it won't let you down, and years down the road if/when you do have to fix it, it won't be a maintenance nightmare.  (of course, paying lots of money does not guarantee quality...)  Personally, something that I'm going to be riding at 30+ MPH at times (yeah, downhill...  I'm not Lance) with only a layer of Lycra between me and road rash, I prefer to be quality...

In other news, I just gave someone a copy of "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" last week.

(so you really shouldn't be shocked that I ended up here obsessing over keyboards.)
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline N8N

« Reply #68 on: Sun, 03 July 2011, 09:17:36 »
Quote from: The Solutor;372403
As stated before is more or less the same of Hi-End hifi mania, some people buys Vacuum tube aplifiers because think they are better, some others buy them because are trendy, exclusive, uncommon and so on.

But as in that sector doesn't mean that everything else is crap by default, the glorious (and cheap) NAD 3020 was not just a transistor based amplifier (no jfet, mosfet, tubes, funky power supplies) but was based on the 2N3055 that was the cheapest and the more mainstream power transistor ever built, and was a damn good amplifier.

yes I sympathize with this comment as well.  I used to drive a Porsche 944 to work every day.  It probably cost me about 1/10 what some of my coworkers' cars cost, but I enjoyed it far more than I would have enjoyed driving their cars.  Was it fast?  no.  But it handled great and felt like it was machined from a solid billet.  Loved that car...  now I have a job with a company car, which is a *sob* Chevy Impala...  sold the P-car for $100 along with all the cores/spares I'd collected for it because it was starting to get long in the tooth, I was losing my place to live, and it would have been more hassle to hang on to it than to let it go.  Dammit.

The same is true for a lot of stuff... cars, bicycles, motorcycles, amps, wristwatches, whatever.  There's good and expensive, there's expensive and OK, there's cheap and crappy, and then there's the rare moments where you find something cheap and good.  I love those moments :)
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #69 on: Sun, 03 July 2011, 10:00:21 »
Agreed.

Anyway I think there is also a different "problem" here. As far I can understand "quality" have different meaning for Americans and Europeans (which in turn have also different flavors depending on the country).

For Americans quality is (more or less) equal to heavier, sturdier, bigger, stronger... and this is not wrong, but quality is also care for the details, evenness on production, evenness of performances during the object life, resilience to accidents and so on.

Looking at the keyboards while a BS, more or less, satisfy both of the visions, other keyboards doesn't.

Most of cherry MX, while likely outlasts most of the RD, are lacking evenness trough the production, thorough the single keys, and during the keyboards life, they are more or less artisianal products with all the minus and all the plus of this this kind of production, they can be killed by a single spill of liquid they can stopped by a single hair inside a microswitch.

Being made by a number of pieces grater than a 7x factor are more prone to failure, because  statistics works against them, and so on.

All this is also quality and in that aspects a decent rubberdome wins hands down.

A mech keyboard should be bought because one like it, period. Most of the rational toughs are retrofitted ones, some of them are just lies or misconceptions.

Mechs are things that must be bought with the heart, not with the brain.
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 July 2011, 10:03:20 by The Solutor »
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline kaiserreich

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #70 on: Sun, 03 July 2011, 10:24:47 »
Nicely said, solutor

Offline dux

« Reply #71 on: Sun, 03 July 2011, 11:05:40 »
Quote from: Hydroid;372386
If the typing experience feels good (sex for the fingers good) then it justifies the keyboard over a rubber dome even if my typing speed stays the same. I spend roughly 12-14 hours every day in front of my computer, and so being able to enjoy it is a big factor for me.

Being new here I want to tell what led me to mech keyboards. Couple of yers ago I worked in an emergency room in a southern european country, typing the whole day on a 40 year old German Olympia typewriter. (Why they used them is an another, rather unbeliavable story. They told me, due to antique laws this really would be the only legal and at the same time practicable way to archive the sensible documentation. They did used computers in every other part of the hospital. Since the producer of the machines would't service them, they had a guy in the hospital itself that repaired them (I asked about that, not believing they still could be repaired). Of course, the keys were doubleshot big ass centered all caps and extreemly shiny:) The story is, working under pressure and night shifts, the only thing that really made fun was typing on those loud monsters. In that setting, hospital at night, the loudness even had a kind of reassuring effect. I would not ignore the physical effect too. For couple of  weeks it was really fatiguing, but after some time, training effects made typing on them an enjoyable sporty action:)

So that's why mechanical keyboards make sense for me:)

Offline redpill

« Reply #72 on: Sun, 03 July 2011, 11:14:27 »
Cool story, Freude am Schreiben!

^ Current Favorite ^  Topre Realforce 87UB 55g  |  Topre Realforce 103UB 55g | KBC Poker/Browns/Sanded KeycapsDucky 1087 | Filco MajesFoam-2 | IBM Model M 1390131 Feb '87 | Still Love: Microsoft Trackball Explorer x3 | Now Unused:  Microsoft Natural Ergo 4k x2

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #73 on: Sun, 03 July 2011, 11:35:19 »
If the typing experience feels good (sex for the fingers good) then it justifies the keyboard over a rubber dome even if my typing speed stays the same.

I type on a mech board for the same reason that I sleep in a comfy bed and not on floor covered with sand and scratchy stones.  It feels more comfortable and it's probably better for my health.

Regarding speed: I'm between 90 and 120 wpm on my buckling spring.  I can type fast on other keyboards, like say on a scissor switch but as soon as I make one mistake I'm totally losing my speed: no feedback (I don't know if it's tactile or audio or something else, but there's a feedback that is simply missing on non-mech boards).  On my buckling spring I don't know how to explain it but when I make a mistake I can "feel" it and I know the mistake I just did and I know how to correct it (for example I know if I need to erase one or two characters... I can't do that on a keyboard that's not "mech" enough).
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline curzen

« Reply #74 on: Sun, 03 July 2011, 13:02:29 »
Quote from: SuperSerb;371460
I already made a thread about my IBM Model M keyboard, but recently I bought a cheap logitech rubber dome keyboard (10 euros). Now I type faster, the room is silent and I make less typos. I type at about 75 WPM btw.

So remind me again, why are mechanical keyboards all that great?

they aren't for you it seems. now let me go dredge up some care from givea**** bay.
[ KBC Poker ]

Offline flaming_june

« Reply #75 on: Sun, 03 July 2011, 13:16:34 »
Why are you people so easily trolled.

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #76 on: Sun, 03 July 2011, 14:17:30 »
Quote from: N8N;372406
Ummm...  I don't know where you can get a bicycle that'll last more  than a hundred miles for $50...  I say this as someone who just came inside from a short ride on one that I essentially built myself on an old (really old) Trek touring frame... wheels and drivetrain alone probably cost me $4-500 and I was being very frugal (buying couple year old NIB parts on eBay etc.) and all the labor was by YT save for building the wheels (I now have most of the tools to do it, just need a tensiometer and dish gauge, so maybe someday I will try that too.)

I get your point that you were trying to make, but disagree with the example you used.  If you want to use something long term and not have it piss you off or fail on you at an inconvemient moment, it's worth paying for quality.  Two ways to buy stuff:  buy cheap, and know that you just bought a consumable, and you'll have to replace it eventually.  Or pay the money and buy quality and know that it won't let you down, and years down the road if/when you do have to fix it, it won't be a maintenance nightmare.  (of course, paying lots of money does not guarantee quality...)  Personally, something that I'm going to be riding at 30+ MPH at times (yeah, downhill...  I'm not Lance) with only a layer of Lycra between me and road rash, I prefer to be quality...

In other news, I just gave someone a copy of "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" last week.

(so you really shouldn't be shocked that I ended up here obsessing over keyboards.)

Ok. make that $88 (full suspension even), and I didn't claim it would last a hundred miles... Building from components bought separately is always far far more expensive than buying pre-assembled products, compare buying MX switches, case hardware, PCB manufacturing stuff, and so on to build your own keyboard =P

We have a high volumes electronics store that used to "give" away free bicycles with a lot of products during their campaigns. Cheap mass ordered Chinese bikes with crap components, of course. Probably cost them far less than $50 a piece, I hope.
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 July 2011, 14:20:55 by PrinsValium »

Offline N8N

« Reply #77 on: Mon, 04 July 2011, 05:39:50 »
Quote from: PrinsValium;372596
Ok. make that $88 (full suspension even), and I didn't claim it would last a hundred miles... Building from components bought separately is always far far more expensive than buying pre-assembled products, compare buying MX switches, case hardware, PCB manufacturing stuff, and so on to build your own keyboard =P

We have a high volumes electronics store that used to "give" away free bicycles with a lot of products during their campaigns. Cheap mass ordered Chinese bikes with crap components, of course. Probably cost them far less than $50 a piece, I hope.

Ugh.  That's not a bicycle, that's a bicycle shaped object.  I suppose it's *possible* to ride it hundreds of miles, if you have your own set of tools to fix everything that's wrong with it out of the box, but then again, if you have your own tools, you'd know enough to buy something w/ better geometry, initial build quality, better components where they matter (esp derailleurs) etc. etc. etc. and so on...

A new bicycle with lower-end but quality components (say, Shimano Tiagra or 105) for less than $500 is a pretty good deal.  (yeah, I'm kinda snobbish about some stuff, but then again, the only limitations to where I can ride my own bikes is where the road ends and my own fat ass.)  I'd consider a $88 bicycle to be a liability, not an asset - I'd move it around the garage for a while before taking it to Salvation Army (or likely just putting it out on the curb with a sign on it saying "free bike" - I did that once and it lasted about three hours.)

Offline theferenc

« Reply #78 on: Mon, 04 July 2011, 06:06:17 »
Shouldn't that be "free bicycle shaped object"?

To be fair, I did pick up a bike for $50 not  too long ago. It's a Peugeot UO19. Yes, it needs more than $50 worth of work done on it, but it is a bike. And it was $50.
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 July 2011, 06:08:24 by theferenc »
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #79 on: Mon, 04 July 2011, 07:02:08 »
Quote from: theferenc;372987
Shouldn't that be "free bicycle shaped object"?

To be fair, I did pick up a bike for $50 not  too long ago. It's a Peugeot UO19. Yes, it needs more than $50 worth of work done on it, but it is a bike. And it was $50.

Used bikes doesn't really count I guess. I've been given fully functional bikes for free as well as salvaging ones from dumpsters.

Quote from: N8N;372983
Ugh.  That's not a bicycle, that's a bicycle shaped object.  I suppose it's *possible* to ride it hundreds of miles, if you have your own set of tools to fix everything that's wrong with it out of the box, but then again, if you have your own tools, you'd know enough to buy something w/ better geometry, initial build quality, better components where they matter (esp derailleurs) etc. etc. etc. and so on...

A new bicycle with lower-end but quality components (say, Shimano Tiagra or 105) for less than $500 is a pretty good deal.  (yeah, I'm kinda snobbish about some stuff, but then again, the only limitations to where I can ride my own bikes is where the road ends and my own fat ass.)  I'd consider a $88 bicycle to be a liability, not an asset - I'd move it around the garage for a while before taking it to Salvation Army (or likely just putting it out on the curb with a sign on it saying "free bike" - I did that once and it lasted about three hours.)

If there were no other way to get dirt cheap bikes like that I would buy them to have for going down to the station. Things like that where I have to leave it unattended. Last time the dollar took a dive off the deep end I finally pulled myself together and got me a custom titanium frame from seven. So I guess I am kind of a bicycle snob myself =D

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #80 on: Mon, 04 July 2011, 08:21:02 »
Quote from: flaming_june;372568

We secretly enjoy it. Too bad troll polls have been outlawed...they used to keep it from getting too out of hand.

Offline baller1308

« Reply #81 on: Tue, 05 July 2011, 00:59:12 »
Quote from: flaming_june;372568
Probably because I live near a lot of bridges.
Noppoo Choc Mini [Browns]
HPE 87 [Browns]