Author Topic: Numpad remapping help?  (Read 12065 times)

Offline Sleepie

Numpad remapping help?
« on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 15:14:12 »
Preemptive tl;dr: Are there any alternatives to HID Macros to remap an external numpad/keypad/tenkey (whatever it's called) to send, for example, Num0 (0x60) instead of number row 0 (0x30)?

I picked up a Leopold 210TP that I want to use as macro keys for games to go with my TKL, but it appears the keys are mapped to the number row rather than numpad per Aqua's Key Test:

I thought I could remap them with AutoHotkey or SharpKeys but because they can't tell between the 0 on the 210TP and the 0 on the keyboard, they both get remapped and you end up losing the 0 on the keyboard (which kind of defeats the point of getting a separate numpad).

Searched a bit and found this thread. On the plus side, the HID Macros + AHK combo is sending the remapped keys. On the not so plus side, HID Macros is causing some weird game pause (literally pause until you move the mouse or press another key)/C++ runtime error R6025 stuff to pop up. Are there any other options besides HID Macros? I'm ready crack this thing open to hardware mod it except I don't know if it's even possible and I'm pretty sure I'd just break a perfectly good numpad for nothing.
Ducky Shine 3  _Magenta&Brown    sold
Keycool 87   _white case&white leds&mx brown&rainbow caps

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
Re: Numpad remapping help?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 15:23:32 »
I picked up a Leopold 210TP that I want to use as macro keys for games to go with my TKL, but it appears the keys are mapped to the number row rather than numpad per Aqua's Key Test:
Show Image

Well, I'm glad I didn't buy one of those.

On the other hand, does pressing shift + any of those keys register the symbols on the number row?

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 15:25:29 »
Wow... THAT is bizarre.  I don't even know what to say.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 15:26:03 »
What is bizarre?

Offline Sleepie

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 15:33:51 »

On the other hand, does pressing shift + any of those keys register the symbols on the number row?

Yep. Shift + any number or = on the numpad gives you the number row symbols.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 15:35:07 »

That's seriously grounds for a return.  Did you buy it from EK?  If so, I'd get them on email right away.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 15:36:57 »
What is bizarre?

Numpad keys act like number row keys.  So Shift+0 on a numpad gives you ')'.

Hey, what happens when numlock is turned off?  Does AKT show the keyboard versions of pgup/pgdn/ins/del or does it show the numlock keys then?  What about pressing '5' when numlock is off?

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 15:38:02 »

That's seriously grounds for a return.  Did you buy it from EK?  If so, I'd get them on email right away.

Why? It is doing what it is supposed to do....

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 15:40:12 »
If by doing what it's supposed to do at the very basic level of giving numbers, you're right. But it's not doing it the way it should be done.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 15:42:40 »
True.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 15:44:48 »
I kind of like the idea of Shift + numpad numbers producing num row symbols. But I would prefer to set that up myself, so that the numbers are still separate from the number row, allowing use of them with Alt for codes and additional things like the option our OP wanted to go with.

Offline Sleepie

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 15:46:21 »

Hey, what happens when numlock is turned off?  Does AKT show the keyboard versions of pgup/pgdn/ins/del or does it show the numlock keys then?  What about pressing '5' when numlock is off?

Nope, bought it from qtan since I wanted a white one (and got some white Ducky caps to boot).

With numlock off:

It's sending the keyboard versions and 5 with numlock off does nothing.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 15:47:21 »
lol, someone should teach Leopold about number pads.

Offline Sleepie

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 15:58:00 »
I kind of like the idea of Shift + numpad numbers producing num row symbols. But I would prefer to set that up myself, so that the numbers are still separate from the number row, allowing use of them with Alt for codes and additional things like the option our OP wanted to go with.

Yeah I stumbled on your thread about alt codes with numpads and I might be doing it wrong, but remapping a key on the numpad to Left Alt still doesn't produce ANSI codes.

edit: dammit accidentally posted before I finished typing. whoops :x
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 October 2013, 16:02:03 by Sleepie »

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 16:08:21 »
It won't. It's supposed to be Alt+(numpad#), it doesn't work with numrow#s.

Offline Sleepie

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 16:28:00 »
It won't. It's supposed to be Alt+(numpad#), it doesn't work with numrow#s.

Yeah, I used HID Macros to "intercept" the 210TP and AHK to remap those keys to numpad numbers, trying it with Left Alt on the keyboard and with - on the 210TP remapped to Left Alt. No dice and another R6025 error -_-'

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 16:29:03 »
What about if you also remap a random key ON the numpad, like that = key, to Alt, and try it all on the numpad?

Offline Sleepie

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 16:54:35 »
What about if you also remap a random key ON the numpad, like that = key, to Alt, and try it all on the numpad?

Tried it with - on the numpad remapped to Alt and LAlt, neither made a difference. ANOTHER R6025 error. Getting old :\

I have absolutely no idea how this stuff works, but could I do this with a Teensy? Actually I don't even know what Teensy does :))

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 10:25:46 »
For those that are interested it seems the new Leopold FC 210TP does send normal numpad codes. I just got my hands on mine which has been with a friend and tested it with aqua key test. All seems to be working "properly" so looks like Leopold got the message.

Offline Sleepie

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 08 January 2014, 09:05:25 »
Well that's great... WTS barely used v1 FC 210TP, WTB v2 FC 210TP  :))

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 08 January 2014, 11:59:40 »
For those that are interested it seems the new Leopold FC 210TP does send normal numpad codes. I just got my hands on mine which has been with a friend and tested it with aqua key test. All seems to be working "properly" so looks like Leopold got the message.

the question is how to determine the difference before ordering :(

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 08 January 2014, 12:56:47 »

the question is how to determine the difference before ordering :(

I will post picks of it so those with the v1 can try and figure out the difference.

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 07:11:35 »
Here are some pics, didn't notice anything special on the box but will take another look when I get home.

Did some more testing, the top "esc, tab & backspace" all send the normal keyboard codes but not sure how that works on other numpads anyway. The top "=" sends an alt numpad combo for the ascii symbol which is a little weird. Other then that it seems to send all normal numpad codes. It's a great numpad, very happy with it. This is the one with brown switches by the way.

Offline Sleepie

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 19:43:39 »
Pics of mine. I ordered it from qtan's store, so that might be why it's made in China instead of Korea.. but then the "正品" authenticity sticker on yours is in Chinese. :confused:

I didn't realize they made these in white with brown switches; would you mind sharing where you got yours from?

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 00:16:40 »
Looks like a different part number as well, /CW vs. /NB.

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 05:49:57 »
I think the part numbers differ slightly with the switch types, as well as the numlock led color, mine is a red led. The packaging is quite different but that could just be because that one is from China. Mine was bought from the Leopold online store in Seoul. I have a friend who is living there and he happened to be coming home for Christmas.

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 07:23:51 »
I think the part numbers differ slightly with the switch types, as well as the numlock led color, mine is a red led. The packaging is quite different but that could just be because that one is from China. Mine was bought from the Leopold online store in Seoul. I have a friend who is living there and he happened to be coming home for Christmas.

Oh, whoops. I didn't realize one was brown and one was blue.

Offline peter79

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 10:16:53 »
I also bought the grey version with red switch from qtan, when I press . it appear . on excell, usually is ,
Any idea how to change it to ,  ?
Since it's a defective product, Could I just return it to qtan and he change me to the new one?

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 16:04:28 »
I also bought the grey version with red switch from qtan, when I press . it appear . on excell, usually is ,
Since it's a defective product, Could I just return it to qtan and he change me to the new one?

I don't think it would be quite fair to call it defective, that's just the way they chose to do it and when people complained decided to change it.

Offline Sleepie

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 23:09:35 »

It may be poor design, but it's not defective if the key says "." and the numpad is sending "."

I don't think it would be quite fair to call it defective, that's just the way they chose to do it and when people complained decided to change it.

I wonder if Leopold has changed it for all FC210TPs going forward, or if it's just for the Korean version. If it weren't right after the holiday season, I'd find a proxy and buy a new Chinese one and a Korean one for science, but my wallet is screaming no.

Offline ficklampa

• My photography portfolio
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 05:48:43 »
I picked up a leopold FC 210TP/CB from ebay and it does not send the numpad commands. Not even the numlock key sends any commands according to Aqua's KeyTest.

Except for +- and enter.

http://imgur.com/rXhkbgF

http://imgur.com/XKvnPSJ

http://imgur.com/Ka9UyI2
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 July 2014, 05:52:18 by ficklampa »
Filco TKL (mx browns) + Ducky PBT caps
Poker II (mx blues)
Keycool 22 key numpad (blue Kailh)