Author Topic: Code with clears - Massdrop ($130 lowest price)  (Read 4758 times)

Offline cribbit

Code with clears - Massdrop ($130 lowest price)
« on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 12:08:57 »
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/code-keyboard-cherry-mx-clears?mode=guest_open

Rather underwhelming after the Poker II. No backlight option, ABS caps, non-programmable.
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 July 2014, 12:11:19 by jdcarpe »
I typed this post on my Slanck. I also developed a stronger, cleaner, easier handwiring method.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: Code with clears - Massdrop ($130 lowest price)
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 12:12:16 »
Fixed your link. Always append "?mode=guest_open" at the end so people don't have to be logged into Massdrop to see the buy. :)

And FYI, the CODE is backlit...

Now with even more ping! It's not a bug, it's a feature!!
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline D01

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 12:18:45 »
Embrace the ping!

Offline cribbit

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 13:13:25 »
Soz on the link, my bad.

What do you mean more ping?
I typed this post on my Slanck. I also developed a stronger, cleaner, easier handwiring method.

Offline jterp7

• good typing
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 13:16:33 »
damnit...already committed to the poker...is the pinging really that bad?

Offline SL89

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 13:18:34 »
what is it that Ripster calls it? the McRip effect?

the Ping is a perfect example of that.

Don't believe the hype.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 13:27:01 »

Don't believe the hype.

Sure, don't believe the guy who sent his CODE back to WASD for a refund. Or the others who wish they had done so. You probably wear headphones while at the computer, anyway, so it's not a big deal.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline SL89

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 13:29:52 »

Don't believe the hype.

Sure, don't believe the guy who sent his CODE back to WASD for a refund. Or the others who wish they had done so. You probably wear headphones while at the computer, anyway, so it's not a big deal.

I don't wear headphones actually. I know the ping is there and i use my Code with clears for my video and audio editing in a very quiet edit room. I just think its a bit played up and shouldn't dissuade people from getting one. I just think its a very over hyped phenomenon.

I mostly made the comment so people take the Ping comments with a grain of salt.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 13:33:33 »
This is the first I'm hearing of the "ping issue". What causes it?

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 13:45:41 »
I believe it's the sound of the springs resonating.  Based off some videos I've seen I think it would be too bothersome for me, but some people don't seem to mind it either.
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 13:45:42 »

Don't believe the hype.

I don't wear headphones actually. I know the ping is there and i use my Code with clears for my video and audio editing in a very quiet edit room. I just think its a bit played up and shouldn't dissuade people from getting one. I just think its a very over hyped phenomenon.

I mostly made the comment so people take the Ping comments with a grain of salt.

SL89, I shouldn't have quoted your post, because I didn't mean to address you, specifically. I was more talking to the generic 'you' who would be reading this thread.

Mashby, I have never experienced ping like I did with the CODE 104 w/Clears. The combination of the stiffer springs in the Clears, combined with the choice of plate and housing materials, made the keyboard practically ring like a bell while I was typing on it. I think the ping is significantly less on the TKL version, but I can't say for sure, as I never used a CODE other than that 104.

in memoriam

Offline SL89

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 13:54:05 »
SL89, I shouldn't have quoted your post, because I didn't mean to address you, specifically. I was more talking to the generic 'you' who would be reading this thread.

Mashby, I have never experienced ping like I did with the CODE 104 w/Clears. The combination of the stiffer springs in the Clears, combined with the choice of plate and housing materials, made the keyboard practically ring like a bell while I was typing on it. I think the ping is significantly less on the TKL version, but I can't say for sure, as I never used a CODE other than that 104.

No worries JD! I figured that was the case. :D

It does have a certain 'bell' like resonance, but isnt the WASD OEM the same as Filco or some such thing, with similar build materials and combinations. Why is it so unique to these boards?

Offline jterp7

• good typing
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 13:58:55 »
any other clears with the same issue? I don't recall much discussion on that with the pokers...mostly people posting custom pics lol.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 14:01:44 »

No worries JD! I figured that was the case. :D

It does have a certain 'bell' like resonance, but isnt the WASD OEM the same as Filco or some such thing, with similar build materials and combinations. Why is it so unique to these boards?
There are numerous threads around here about Filco's pinging.  :))

Offline SL89

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 14:03:49 »

For certain. But what about this specific combination makes them sing (and irritate certain people) so much.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 14:10:21 »
I'm not sure why, but I've owned many Filcos (currently own 7), and I've never had a problem with ping before. Yes, some of them have/had ping on certain keys, to varying extents, but nothing like what I experienced with the CODE.

in memoriam

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 14:10:50 »

For certain. But what about this specific combination makes them sing (and irritate certain people) so much.
I'm not 100% certain as to why it's more prevalent in some boards than others, but I think there's certain factors that can accentuate the sound, such as temperature, or whatever kind of surface your keyboard is sitting on.  I remember putting my Filco under one of those extended mouse pads with its feet down drastically helped cut down on the noise.
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 July 2014, 14:13:04 by Flyersfan1 »

Offline D01

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 16:54:03 »
I believe it's the sound of the springs resonating.  Based off some videos I've seen I think it would be too bothersome for me, but some people don't seem to mind it either.

That's what it seems like to me.  Those stiff springs and the build of the board make it so.  Doesn't bother me at all.  Not an issue.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 23:58:31 »

Had I known that before keycon, I'd have shown you a real ping keyboard! The IBM chinese / japanese keyboards. They ping louder than they bottom out! I have christened them the "pingmaster" keyboards, and those who have owned them tend to agree.

As to what causes this: in the aforementioned KB, it's the plate / case design. The plate fits in very closely into the case, I believe it makes a nice resonating chamber. it's amazing, really! I have another keyboard with the same switches that does not ping at all.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 11:45:05 »

Had I known that before keycon, I'd have shown you a real ping keyboard! The IBM chinese / japanese keyboards. They ping louder than they bottom out! I have christened them the "pingmaster" keyboards, and those who have owned them tend to agree.

As to what causes this: in the aforementioned KB, it's the plate / case design. The plate fits in very closely into the case, I believe it makes a nice resonating chamber. it's amazing, really! I have another keyboard with the same switches that does not ping at all.

Oh, you don't have to show me. I own one of those! :))

in memoriam

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 13:23:14 »
and you think the code has more ping? Now I wish WASD were there at keycon so I could try it and take it apart.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 13:59:13 »
and you think the code has more ping? Now I wish WASD were there at keycon so I could try it and take it apart.

Now you're just being silly. NOTHING can have MORE ping than that IBM. But I don't use that as a reference, because it's not a modern keyboard, and no one else besides the few of us who have them will know what it is.

I believe the CODE had slightly less ping than the IBM "Pingsaver" because I don't recall it pinging from simply running my hands over the top of the keycaps. :)

in memoriam

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 14:10:07 »
I believe the CODE had slightly less ping than the IBM "Pingsaver" because I don't recall it pinging from simply running my hands over the top of the keycaps. :)

I thought someone posted a video of their code pinging from just barely touching the key caps??

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 14:24:46 »

I thought someone posted a video of their code pinging from just barely touching the key caps??

I haven't watched the video, but mine pings when running my fingers over the caps. To be honest, I never noticed that before until I just tried it now. The ping I've noticed, but not how sensitive it is. I use my CODE with Clears a lot and over all the ping hasn't bothered me. I've always blamed it on me typing with heavy hands - which I absolutely do. However, clearly even if you are light with your key presses you will still get an audible "Ping".
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 14:28:43 »
Hahaha. So it does. I guess I had blocked that from my memory.

I dub it the Pingsaver II :D

in memoriam

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 14:33:21 »
Here is a link to the video I was thinking of

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47677.msg1327465#msg1327465

Offline D01

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 14:56:37 »
Here is a link to the video I was thinking of

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47677.msg1327465#msg1327465

I have a Code in front of me now.  Same as in the video.  Actually after watching that video a couple times and messing around with the keys like the person does in the video I have discovered if I take three fingers and run them down the length of the keyboard, like you might with a piano, it sounds like a xylophone.

Edit:  I decided to play around with the WASD boards I have and see how much difference there is between them with the pinging.  My 104 key Code pings the most, but after comparing it with my 104 key V2 with browns it isn't much louder.  The one with browns pings a bit too.  Next quietest is my 87 key Code, not much pinging with it.  My 87 key V2 with browns doesn't ping at all or very very little.   None of them bother me and any outside noise drowns them out.
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 July 2014, 14:08:11 by D01 »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 06:15:44 »
I know this is an old topic, but it is entirely relevant.

Massdrop has the CODE running again, full size and TKL with MX clears.  Same URL as in the OP.

Is the pinging really such an issue?  This thread was almost exactly 12 months ago - is the pinging still an issue, or has WASD done something to resolve it in the 2015 edition of the CODE?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ