Author Topic: Seeking help choosing mx blue keyboard  (Read 1212 times)

Offline Jon12345

Seeking help choosing mx blue keyboard
« on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 15:34:09 »
I have had a Cherry keyboard for ages, but not sure what switches are used on it. Its a G80-3000HEMBG /07. Any idea what switches that has?

Anyway, I am seeking a MX blue keyboard as they are really nice for typing. I am not interested in using it for gaming. Price is not a major factor, as I am aware many of these keyboards cost £130 or whatever.

I am used to using a lighter coloured keybaord and not a great fan of the black keyboards, although this is not a critical factor, just a preference.

What keyboard would you recommend and why?

Thanks,

Jon

Offline blackbox

Re: Seeking help choosing mx blue keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 15:41:35 »
just lift up a keycap and describe witch color the stem is. A filco majestouch 2  should be a good choice for your needs.
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline isaske

• Stop whining!
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 15:42:26 »
+1, Filcos are really good boards. I have one with blues and it's awesome.
HOW DO I COMPUTER?

Offline johndavis33

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 17:55:17 »
I like the ducky premie/pro series more than the filco majestouch line. Only problem is, they're hard to find. They're built just as good, if not better, and have much, much better keycaps (pbt dyesubs).
HAVE AND WILL KEEP: HHKB - Printed white | Ducky Banana edition - Whites | Model M13 | Unidentified Goodwill keyboard - Simplified black ALPS
TOO BE SOLD: TG3 BL82 - Clears | Wheelwrite 5 - Buckling Springs typewriter
SOLD: Rosewill RK9000 - Blacks | QFR - Blues | Ducky G2 Pro - Greens |
IT WILL BE MINE: Northgate Omnikey - White ALPS

Offline isaske

• Stop whining!
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 02:47:14 »
I like the ducky premie/pro series more than the filco majestouch line. Only problem is, they're hard to find. They're built just as good, if not better, and have much, much better keycaps (pbt dyesubs).

Now i'm only gonna talk for myself, but u think the majority is the same in this forum. Usually, the keycaps are the last thing that you take a look at, mainly because you are probably going to find yourself buying a set of non-stock keycaps soon. Also, i find that PBTs don't go well with the click the MX blues provide.
HOW DO I COMPUTER?

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 05:27:40 »
I have had a Cherry keyboard for ages, but not sure what switches are used on it. Its a G80-3000HEMBG /07. Any idea what switches that has?

Anyway, I am seeking a MX blue keyboard as they are really nice for typing. I am not interested in using it for gaming. Price is not a major factor, as I am aware many of these keyboards cost £130 or whatever.

I am used to using a lighter coloured keybaord and not a great fan of the black keyboards, although this is not a critical factor, just a preference.

What keyboard would you recommend and why?

Thanks,

Jon

According to this: http://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_article_numbers

You have a board with doubleshot ABS keycaps, Cherry MX Clear switches, Windows keys and British ISO layout.

Do you want a full-size board, TKL, 75% or 60%? Backlighting? Keycap material preferences?

For a light coloured board I would recommend a Keycool II 104 or 87 in white. Medium thickness PBT keycaps, plate mounted, good quality and affordable. IIRC, one of the members here is a Keycool vendor, but I can't recall their username. They are available with Clear switches, too, if you want something similar to your Cherry G80.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Jon12345

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 10:47:12 »
I notice the Filco keyboards have the lettering on the edge of the key rather than the top, which I don't like.

I've just come across this: Das Keyboard 4 Professional Clicky UK Blue Switch

Any opinion on these keyboards? How do they compare to the Filco?

I like the volume control on this one.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 11:12:48 »
Only the Filco "ninja" boards have the front printed caps. Normal ones are printed on top. Keycaps can be replaced, too. That's one of the nice things about owning a Cherry MX board with standard layout.

Filco is much better than the latest Das boards, quality wise.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline Jon12345

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 13:45:02 »
Oobly, thanks for that. Have you tried both the latest Das and the Filco? Where would I notice the difference?

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 14:44:55 »
Oobly, thanks for that. Have you tried both the latest Das and the Filco? Where would I notice the difference?

No, I haven't personally tried both, but the DAS is now made in China, not Taiwan and the difference in quality is noticable. Reading through newer reviews it appears the worst models were the 3s, the 4 seems to be an improvement, athough still made in China.

Apparently the metal edge can be uncomfortable unless you use a separate palm rest.

Considering the price, I would rather get a Filco or a Ducky, personally.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline Jon12345

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 15:16:28 »
I think we must have read the same reviews. The Filco footprint is really nice, as are the fonts on the keys. On the other hand, I really like the volume control and mute switch on the Das.

Offline johndavis33

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 15:25:45 »
The DAS isn't very popular here, along with Corsair boards and some other gamery boards. It's not that there bad, it's just people on geekhack tend to prefer more simple keyboards.

So you might not find that many with people who have experience with them. Filcos, on the other hand, it seems everyone here owns at least a dozen :D.
HAVE AND WILL KEEP: HHKB - Printed white | Ducky Banana edition - Whites | Model M13 | Unidentified Goodwill keyboard - Simplified black ALPS
TOO BE SOLD: TG3 BL82 - Clears | Wheelwrite 5 - Buckling Springs typewriter
SOLD: Rosewill RK9000 - Blacks | QFR - Blues | Ducky G2 Pro - Greens |
IT WILL BE MINE: Northgate Omnikey - White ALPS