Author Topic: GON NS NerD TKL keycaps? Looking for Blank PBT DSA  (Read 4383 times)

Offline Weltschmerz

GON NS NerD TKL keycaps? Looking for Blank PBT DSA
« on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 02:25:05 »
So currently, I'm looking at getting the GON NS NerD TKL, I have everything figured out. What switches, springs, cords, and whatnot. The only issue I'm having now is choosing keycaps for them. I'd like to go with PBT, and have been looking at signature plastics options. They have a multitude of colors, except they don't happen to have all the colors on overstock. I notice that they do sell entire sets, but in a very limited color range. What do I do? Am I screwed? Do I have to pray they have more colors in overstock soon? Or am I just inept at finding good keysets?
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 August 2014, 02:26:54 by Weltschmerz »

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
Re: GON NS NerD TKL keycaps? Looking for Blank PBT DSA
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 05:06:36 »
It would seem you have very specific requirements. What colour do you actually want? The standard base set colours may be limited by what colours match between their ABS and PBT materials since the standard base set includes an ABS spacebar. So if you want a matching spacebar, those are your only options. I would think you can make up a nice colour combination between the standard base set colours and the wider range of modifer set colours.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline nathairtras

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 12:03:00 »
I would think you can make up a nice colour combination between the standard base set colours and the wider range of modifer set colours.

Seconding this.  Definitely depends on the color choices you think you want to go with.  The good news is that SP is cheap for setting up a two-color DSA set, so it isn't too expensive to play with some ideas.  I'm using gray alphas and orange modifiers and have been pretty happy with it.  Cheap enough that you could get a starter set and order the overstock colors you want over time.

Bottom line, you are unlikely to get all the keys you want in a single purchase if you are relying on overstock.  So get what you can (enough for a full set) and buy up the additional as you have time.  Shipping hurts, but isn't too terrible.

AFAIK, SP is really all you get in terms of PBT DSA.
CM QFR Green

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 12:35:17 »
Please use cherry profile so that i don't get sad at seeing another kustom with crappy keycaps
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Weltschmerz

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 15:37:05 »
Please use cherry profile so that i don't get sad at seeing another kustom with crappy keycaps

Okay brother, I'm not really *quite* sure what cherry profile is? signature plastics have 6 different "profiles" on their website. I'm kind of... well totally clueless to be honest...

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 15:54:04 »

Okay brother, I'm not really *quite* sure what cherry profile is? signature plastics have 6 different "profiles" on their website. I'm kind of... well totally clueless to be honest...
None of the profile that signature plastics made are cherry profile, the closest one is dcs.  Cherry/GMK made cherry profile.

Offline Weltschmerz

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 16:37:48 »

None of the profile that signature plastics made are cherry profile, the closest one is dcs.  Cherry/GMK made cherry profile.

So I can go look at gmk's website and select from there? Do you personally have experience with their caps? Sorry if I'm berating everyone with questions I'm just looking for some help, and if it's been recommended that I use cherry profile, I'll use it.

Offline tbc

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 17:58:41 »
gmk doesn't sell directly.

gmk doesn't make pbt either.

do you actually have a color in mind?
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 18:15:26 »
if you have a color in mind i can help you more
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Weltschmerz

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 23:46:22 »

I'm thinking something along the lines of dark green service keys, red esc, and possibly a mint green for everything else. I'm not sure. I figured out that gmk doesn't sell directly after looking at their site  :(

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 03:29:18 »
For a nice custom board like the GON, I would look for something from a Group Buy. It's a bit of a sacrilege to put caps on that board that aren't truly great.

If you like green, then this one may suit you: http://www.pimpmykeyboard.com/deals/nuclear-data-green-old-skool-sa-row-3-keycaps/
Here is the relevant GeekHack thread: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=61198.0
It's SA profile, which is a tall profile with "spherical" indentations, like some old terminal keyboards, thick doubleshot keycaps. ABS material, but nice caps and you can fill out a TKL with just the base set.

Here's another green set: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=60797.0

If you're looking for something a little more classic and understated, I would ask in Ivan's GMK Dolch thread if someone is willing to transfer their set to you, or wait till it ends and check for them in Classifieds. GMK Dolch is Cherry profile, thick doubleshot ABS.

I believe Ctrl Alt Store (Bunnylake, codyeatworld and MargoBaggins) may start a run of GMK HyperFuse sometime soonish. That would be a very nice set, too. It would look like the DCS version shown here, but Cherry profile made by GMK: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48514.0

In terms of thick PBT, there are some nice sets around, the best are dyesubbed, dark legends on lighter coloured caps. IMSTO sells some of the best quality ones, but he has limited colours available. See the blue and grey sets here: http://imsto.cn/index.php?route=product/category&path=62

Keycap profiles are a personal thing, but so far I like Cherry profile the most, followed by DCS (but the bottom 2 rows are a bit too steeply angled). I am hoping to try contoured SA profile soon, but it's very rare at the moment (although Matt3o is in discussion with SP about making the right molds for the Midnight SA and Retro SA Group Buys... here's hoping). I don't mind "flat" profiles like DSA, but definitely prefer contoured.

Browse the Interest Checks and Group Buys sections of the site. You may find a set (or 2, or 3) that calls your name  :D
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 August 2014, 03:32:49 by Oobly »
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 11:11:12 »
the nuclear data set is really cool

if you like green, look into the CCnG set

Offline tbc

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 16:22:55 »

I'm thinking something along the lines of dark green service keys, red esc, and possibly a mint green for everything else. I'm not sure. I figured out that gmk doesn't sell directly after looking at their site  :(

look around pimpmykeyboard.com 's 'group buy' section, including the archives, for inspiration.

http://www.pimpmykeyboard.com/group-buys/

chances are, you're going to have to mix and match multiple sets to get what you want.

honestly, the SA nuclear set sounds like what you want.  but SA is NOT the same thing as DSA.  they are complete opposites.  DSA is the shortest common profile, while SA is the tallest.  SA doesn't come in PBT either, so you'll need to buy multiple sets to keep your keycaps clean.

Offline Weltschmerz

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 23:32:21 »
For a nice custom board like the GON, I would look for something from a Group Buy. It's a bit of a sacrilege to put caps on that board that aren't truly great.

If you like green, then this one may suit you: http://www.pimpmykeyboard.com/deals/nuclear-data-green-old-skool-sa-row-3-keycaps/
Here is the relevant GeekHack thread: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=61198.0
It's SA profile, which is a tall profile with "spherical" indentations, like some old terminal keyboards, thick doubleshot keycaps. ABS material, but nice caps and you can fill out a TKL with just the base set.

Here's another green set: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=60797.0

If you're looking for something a little more classic and understated, I would ask in Ivan's GMK Dolch thread if someone is willing to transfer their set to you, or wait till it ends and check for them in Classifieds. GMK Dolch is Cherry profile, thick doubleshot ABS.

I believe Ctrl Alt Store (Bunnylake, codyeatworld and MargoBaggins) may start a run of GMK HyperFuse sometime soonish. That would be a very nice set, too. It would look like the DCS version shown here, but Cherry profile made by GMK: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48514.0

In terms of thick PBT, there are some nice sets around, the best are dyesubbed, dark legends on lighter coloured caps. IMSTO sells some of the best quality ones, but he has limited colours available. See the blue and grey sets here: http://imsto.cn/index.php?route=product/category&path=62

Keycap profiles are a personal thing, but so far I like Cherry profile the most, followed by DCS (but the bottom 2 rows are a bit too steeply angled). I am hoping to try contoured SA profile soon, but it's very rare at the moment (although Matt3o is in discussion with SP about making the right molds for the Midnight SA and Retro SA Group Buys... here's hoping). I don't mind "flat" profiles like DSA, but definitely prefer contoured.

Browse the Interest Checks and Group Buys sections of the site. You may find a set (or 2, or 3) that calls your name  :D

I looked at imsto at their light blue thick PBT keys and they look very nice. I haven't really seen anything outside of signature plastics for a wide variety of keycap colors, but if they don't have the "best" profile for keycaps, I'd rather not get them. Why would you say that, personally, contoured profiles are better than flatter ones? I feel like with labeled caps I'd be fine, but if they were blank and contoured I'd **** my keyboard up  :-[

Offline tbc

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 16 August 2014, 01:01:12 »
there's NO SUCH THING as 'best'.

anyone who tells you so is being a stupid moron.

all personal opinion.

but DSA stands for 'damn so awesome' profile. :D

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 16 August 2014, 03:03:56 »

all personal opinion.

^^This..

I don't like DSA so much, he does. I love Cherry profile, he prefers DSA. It's personal. Some people even like OEM profile (the tall contoured one that comes on most boards) best.

I have ordered some uncontoured (all the same height and angle) SA profile caps (the Nuclear Data ones) and I'm looking forward to trying them out (because they're like old classic terminal keyboard caps and I want to see what spherical indentations feel like to type on).

In keyboards you often can't just jump to the "best" keycaps or switches or layouts, because they're all personal choices. There is no "best". There is only what I like most, and while people can tell you what they like most (and why) it won't necessarily be the same as what YOU like most.

The best you can do is work out if the reasons they like those things resonate with you or not, so you get an idea of if that thing will suit you or not. Then you try it out.

I like Cherry profile because the angles of the contours feel natural when I type on them, they're low so they don't increase the height of the board as much as OEM and they have a better angle on the bottom rows than DCS. It helps that you can get really high quality caps in that profile, too.

Perhaps TBC could chime in with reasons he likes DSA.

For some people keycaps are a bit like Pokemon... Gotta catch em all. That gets expensive, though.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline Weltschmerz

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 16 August 2014, 03:55:26 »

all personal opinion.

Thank you so much for the advice guys :D I'm just trying to figure all this out, and I figure since most of you have infinitely more experience in mechanical keyboards than I do, I'd ask for advice. If I were really dumb I'd just buy one of those "fancy" razer keyboards with garbage switches, garbage build quality, and garbage drivers. 
^^This..

I don't like DSA so much, he does. I love Cherry profile, he prefers DSA. It's personal. Some people even like OEM profile (the tall contoured one that comes on most boards) best.

I have ordered some uncontoured (all the same height and angle) SA profile caps (the Nuclear Data ones) and I'm looking forward to trying them out (because they're like old classic terminal keyboard caps and I want to see what spherical indentations feel like to type on).

In keyboards you often can't just jump to the "best" keycaps or switches or layouts, because they're all personal choices. There is no "best". There is only what I like most, and while people can tell you what they like most (and why) it won't necessarily be the same as what YOU like most.

The best you can do is work out if the reasons they like those things resonate with you or not, so you get an idea of if that thing will suit you or not. Then you try it out.

I like Cherry profile because the angles of the contours feel natural when I type on them, they're low so they don't increase the height of the board as much as OEM and they have a better angle on the bottom rows than DCS. It helps that you can get really high quality caps in that profile, too.

Perhaps TBC could chime in with reasons he likes DSA.

For some people keycaps are a bit like Pokemon... Gotta catch em all. That gets expensive, though.

Offline tbc

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 16 August 2014, 23:17:19 »
reasons for liking DSA:

-greatest availability (has a great online, manufacturer direct store AND gbs are run regularly)
-cheap (BSP is super expensive)
-best ergonomics (every keycap size available for every type of keyboard layout as far as I know - even a 3x key that can be used on the minila)
-most flexibility (you can put any cap anywhere to easily switch to dvorak etc)
-many sets with both blanks + legends
-sphericals look great to many people

flaws:

-gets stuck on mx clears sometimes (yes, this STILL happens - i would say on about 4% of black blank pbt caps)

my personal fav profile is DSA everywhere except for the bottom row.  on there, I tend to use cherry/OEM/DCS because they're sloped to keep my hands from 'falling off' the board.