Author Topic: What Have I Done?  (Read 1291 times)

Offline kalrand

What Have I Done?
« on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 07:03:18 »
Hello everyone.  I'm kalrand and I made the mistake of buying a mechanical keyboard on July 13th.

I needed a new one, one of my cheap, disposable rubber dome keyboards had something that was irking me. I forget exactly what, and it's not important. I wanted something *a little* bit nicer, so I did a bit of googling and liked the old ibm-style Unicomp keyboards. One happened to pop up on craigslist relatively close to where I lived for about half off, and I emailed the guy.

He was selling it because it was too loud and his wife was making him. Neat!

So then I ended up lurking here and on /r/mk and learned a bit about bucking springs, and started to read about the different cherry MX switches.

I'm not a light switch person. I don't even notice pressing the keys on my Unicomp. Massdrop had the clear poker ii go up, and I thought what the hell, they don't seem to make keyboards in tactile grey, and this seems nifty.

I was also in the market for a programmable keypad. I like Kerbal Space Program, and it would be really nifty to shunt a bunch of those commands over onto something that wasn't the main keyboard area. Also, the Unicomp keyboard had a bit of a NASA feel to it, so this all kind of had a theme still.

I did a bit of research, and started trolling about on ebay, putting in relatively lowball offers. I ended up getting two cheap genovation micropads, and a Cherry G80-3700 that supported mode 4, both at about the same time.

Then I found a thread that stated in the great finds section where someone was asking a question about one of they keypads I ordered, which later became this thread: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=61544.0 I answered the question, and suddenly I have 32 more programmable keypads in my apartment.

Somewhere along the way I ordered a GH-40 (because that's just an awesome idea) and a 122 key Unicomp for $35 (see: Kerbal Space Program).

So in about a month, I have 1 new keyboard, 2 more on the way, 35 fully programmable keypads, and there's some keycaps on order too (I like retro styles, so I got the DSA Dolch set). And now I see the Nuclear Data keycaps. Ugh.

So hello geekhack. I think I might just fit in here. Just don't anyone show me a Phantom with 7Bit's layout and tactile gray switches. That would be bad. Or a working 122 key Model F that has a soarers converter.

My 122 key Model M was born on July 25th, 1988.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: What Have I Done?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 07:07:07 »
So hello geekhack. I think I might just fit in here. Just don't anyone show me a Phantom with 7Bit's layout and tactile gray switches. That would be bad.

I've got all the pieces, should I put them together? :p

And welcome I think you'll fit in here just fine. :D

Offline kalrand

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 07:19:28 »
So hello geekhack. I think I might just fit in here. Just don't anyone show me a Phantom with 7Bit's layout and tactile gray switches. That would be bad.

I've got all the pieces, should I put them together? :p

Can I pay you in G80-3700's?
My 122 key Model M was born on July 25th, 1988.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 20:23:20 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

That's quite a collection you have - feel free to post pictures in the media section :D
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ