Author Topic: How to open Model F AT?  (Read 1166 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
How to open Model F AT?
« on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 22:53:13 »
I have an F AT that I want to clean up a bit more, but when I go to open it, I'm always terrified I'll break something.  It's easy to open up the back side, but the front seems to catch and I haven't seen any screws.  Does anyone have any directions for it? 

And are there any fairly cheap sources for replacement barrels?  I was thinking of popping out the barrels, sanding, and powder coating the plate, but saw someone say to expect to break a good number of the barrels.  If that's the case, I'm a bit hesitant to clean it up more.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
Re: How to open Model F AT?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 22:57:00 »
I have an F AT that I want to clean up a bit more, but when I go to open it, I'm always terrified I'll break something.  It's easy to open up the back side, but the front seems to catch and I haven't seen any screws.  Does anyone have any directions for it? 

And are there any fairly cheap sources for replacement barrels?  I was thinking of popping out the barrels, sanding, and powder coating the plate, but saw someone say to expect to break a good number of the barrels.  If that's the case, I'm a bit hesitant to clean it up more.

Cracking the case is scary as ****. It sounds like it's going to break the whole time, but you gotta power through it.

For barrels, I don't see how you could break a barrel unless you are REALLY careless. They pretty much fall out of the plate once you tip it upright again.

Honestly, the trickiest part for me was getting the spacebar off. If you break it, the whole thing is boned since there is no replacement FAT spacebar

This might help
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 October 2014, 22:58:51 by The_Beast »
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 23:00:05 »
the case is scary as ****. It sounds like it's going to break the whole time, but you gotta power through it.
Yeah. It's scary but it works every time. you get used to it after a while.

Cheap barrels from PC / XT. My 4704 had a broken one, fortunately I just removed one for hhkb layout anyway. It's improbable that you'll break one doing that though.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 23:05:07 »
Awesome. Thanks you two.  Looks like the project won't be as bad as I thought.

Offline sleepy916

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 23:23:14 »
The XT barrel are different than the one on the AT, 122, Kish, ect.

This picture by wcass shows the difference. The XT has no notch directly connected to the barrel but a center notch directly below. The AT barrel has a notch in around 4 o' clock position. The flippies are interchangeable though even if they have slight differences.

« Last Edit: Wed, 01 October 2014, 23:26:32 by sleepy916 »

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 23:35:20 »
The XT barrel are different than the one on the AT, 122, Kish, ect.

This picture by wcass shows the difference. The XT has no notch directly connected to the barrel but a center notch directly below. The AT barrel has a notch in around 4 o' clock position. The flippies are interchangeable though even if they have slight differences.

Show Image

Yeah, I forgot to mention this, but to use an XT barrel, you'll have to cut the "nib" off. Put it in the middle of a bunch of other ones and the barrels surrounding it will hold it in place correctly.

Offline Parak

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 00:46:01 »
I've never had flippies, much less barrels break on me. I haven't even managed to break barrels while applying much higher than normal clamping force on the plates, so I'm not sure why you're worried :o

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 07:11:24 »
The only thing to worry about is opening the case. I open the back and gently fan the front back and forth until it releases, so far with good success after a total of at least half a dozen iterations over the years.

Then there is the foam pad, but nothing else should be damageable without extenuating circumstances.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"