Author Topic: Topre Noise Like Any Other Is On The Release  (Read 4026 times)

Offline Keylamity

Topre Noise Like Any Other Is On The Release
« on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 19:52:15 »
So a neighbour at work mildly mentioned in passing something about the noise from my keyboard (Realforce 86U).  At my desk I did a little check and found that the only possible noise that could make me distinct from the rubber domes all around (we work in cubicles) is on my key release.  I'm getting better now at not bottoming out much.  When I let a topre key go, the key hits at the top end and makes a little strike sound.

Turns out this is really no different than any other key I have; I'm on my Leo Otaku brown and it does the same thing.  So does my Model M.  The only one that doesn't is the scissors on my newer Apple keyboard.

Question is, hasn't any manufacturer picked up on this and offered any dampening at the top end vs all the attention paid to the bottoming out?  Is there any other discussion of that around?  

Not even sure if it can be done or what it would take, but it seems to me that after all the technology and engineering they've put into the bottom, I would think a little filter along the top is all would take.  Am I wrong?  

Discuss, discuss.

Offline RiGS

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 19:58:22 »
You can dampen the sound by putting dental bands on the keycap/plunger. I haven't tested it yet.
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 20:09:36 »
Quote from: RiGS;333792
You can dampen the sound by putting dental bands on the keycap/plunger. I haven't tested it yet.

I was aware of such mod for the Bucklingspring switch. I didn't know it could be applied to Topre as well.
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline Brummell

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 20:14:31 »
Anybody who complains about the noise from a Realforce can be safely ignored.
Unicomp Space Saver | Filco Majestouch Blue | IBM Model M | Filco Majestouch Brown | Realforce 86UB | Leopold Blue | HHKB Pro 2

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 20:19:07 »
Quote from: Brummell;333806

so harsh.  I LIKE IT
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline guilleguillaume

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 20:28:56 »
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?17373-Silence!!!

Will this fit the Topre Switches?

Could be the final solution to dampen sound for MX switches.

BTW I agree with this statement.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 April 2011, 20:31:08 by guilleguillaume »

Offline Keylamity

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 20:35:08 »
Y'know, even the up-click has a sweet tone...like harmony with the down.  Somebody musical should check out the octaves or whatever.

Offline Keylamity

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 20:36:16 »

Y'know, even the up-click has a sweet tone...like harmony with the down.  Somebody musical should check out the octaves or whatever.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 20:40:47 »
My Realforce is actually a LOT quieter than the Keytronics everyone else in my office has...

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 20:46:03 »
technologic.
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline Keylamity

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 20:46:17 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;333831
My Realforce is actually a LOT quieter than the Keytronics everyone else in my office has...

And what is harder on the ears that pure rubber membranes throwing up at seventy words a minute.  Barf.  But they don't know they are typing on barf.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 20:52:18 »
I actually like Keytronics overall...they are what brought me here. Was looking for a keyboard like that, but better.

Offline IanM

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 21:06:31 »
Quote from: RiGS;333792
does that damp the sound at the end of upward travel when releasing the key? I thought the rubber rings and foam cushions are to reduce the bottoming out sound?

Offline Engine

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 21:47:42 »

Exactly!  Sounds like someone's "jealous" that you have a real keyboard, instead of the standard "office issue".=)
In order of purchase:
Unicomp Space Saver(Black) - Topre Realforce 103U-UW -   Topre Realforce 103UB - Leopold Tenkeyless MX Blue - Leopold Tenkeyless MX Brown - Filco Majestouch 2 MX Blue - Filco Majestouch 2 MX Brown

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 20 April 2011, 02:01:58 »
Quote from: noodles256;333811
so harsh.  I LIKE IT

Seconded. As I'm typing on my RF right now I really don't get what someone could complain about, and I bottom out (gently). Heck, my girlfriend specifically requested that I use my Realforce at night as the sound is actually somewhat soothing and is heads and shoulders below(?) my Filco in noise level. It's really probably just jealousy or some other office shenanigans. It's going to be a tad louder than a regular rubber dome (unless you're SLAMMING the keys) but it still takes a back seat to BS and Blues.
Realforce 87UW 45g - Filco Blue 87 - Filco Linear R - Filco Brown 104

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 20 April 2011, 02:13:18 »
Quote from: Chobopants;334019
Seconded. As I'm typing on my RF right now I really don't get what someone could complain about, and I bottom out (gently). Heck, my girlfriend specifically requested that I use my Realforce at night as the sound is actually somewhat soothing and is heads and shoulders below(?) my Filco in noise level. It's really probably just jealousy or some other office shenanigans. It's going to be a tad louder than a regular rubber dome (unless you're SLAMMING the keys) but it still takes a back seat to BS and Blues.

given you play/played wc3 and dota, I had no doubt in your impeccable taste in high quality products.

on a side note, Cherry Blues do have an alluring quality to them. They are definitely one of my favorite key switches
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline Surly73

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 21 April 2011, 06:59:46 »

^ What this guy said.  Was the guy observing that it was different (I could believe that), or complaining that it was too loud?

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 21 April 2011, 07:34:44 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;333831

RF is quieter than a lot of keyboards, but is also noisier than, likely, the majority of the mainstream ones.

There's not a definitive word on this argument.
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline Surly73

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 21 April 2011, 08:08:00 »
I think it depends on exactly what you're comparing it to.  A lot of generic rubber dome keyboards have a lot of pinging from the key caps.  My RF has none.  This isn't to say that key release doesn't make a sound, but it's down in the mechanism and not the key cap "ringing" on release.  I also found that my Realforce does have a quiet "clink" when any stabilized key is released but it doesn't sound unpleasant.

Offline omf

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 21 April 2011, 09:36:12 »

Swap your RF out with an IBM Model M for a few days.  See if you ever hear any complaints about keyboard noise after you switch back.

Offline Surly73

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 21 April 2011, 10:31:24 »
Quote from: omf;334830
Swap your RF out with an IBM Model M for a few days.  See if you ever hear any complaints about keyboard noise after you switch back.

I just did that two days ago.  I think I'm going to register a complaint against myself :)

Offline pitashen

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 21 April 2011, 10:51:12 »
Bring your leo Brown to work for like a week or so (and ignore the complaints) and then switch back to  Realforce. Your co-worker will happily leave you alone with it.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 April 2011, 10:56:47 by pitashen »
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //