Author Topic: [SUSPENDED]$20 Used Cherry Doubleshots Round 2  (Read 77345 times)

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
  • Still around, sometimes.
[SUSPENDED]$20 Used Cherry Doubleshots Round 2
« on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 10:11:45 »
Read the first paragraph! I will likely not be running round 2, and orders past the first 10 or 11 are tentative!
Alright, I contacted my supplier about more boards, and he's got 10 or so. I am honestly not up to running this buy a second time though right now, at least not for a good while. College application deadlines are around the corner, and I've got my hands full. I want to say the earliest I could comfortably run this would be February, especially considering I do my board stripping outside, and it's quite cold here in December and January. February as well, actually, but I would be done with midterms then, so it wouldn't be a huge deal. If someone else wants to take over and run it sooner, PM me and I'll give you details. I'd prefer handing it over to a reputable GH member, but I'd be open to anything if it's cool with you guys. Sorry about this. I didn't expect things to be as busy as they are. I was kind of hoping I'd be in college by now.

Hi, everyone. I'm writing to inform you that the second round of cherry doubleshots has begun! These will be white on black doubleshots from G81-8000s, and the modifiers won't be compatible with most boards as a result. However, I may end up running a moogle kit buy in a while, so you shouldn't trouble yourself too much with that. Even if I don't, someone will soon. That's how things work around here.

This is the second round of the buy, and things have changed very slightly: prices are now fixed at $20 US and $27 to anywhere else. This is to balance out paypal fees, which I did poorly in the first round, and it led to a whole ton of invoices and ruined my otherwise beautiful paypal invoice page. I accept both Paypal and Amazon Payments in the event that you don't care for Paypal. Throw up a post if you're interested, and I'll add you to the list! If you buy 2 sets, shipping will be the same, but if you buy more than two, I'll have to figure it specifically for you, so expect a delay in your invoice.

ORDERS
DorkVader:    1
Brenden:       1
Jester3001:   1
Pitashen:      1
NolliePopper:  1
Tsangen:        1
DaemonRaccoon: 1
Kisakuku: 1
Reptile: 1
Duq: 2

TENTATIVE ORDERS
iMav: 1
DraJin: 1
Lootbag: 1
Scrubadub: 1
Miniskleip: 1
JesuswawaZombie: 1
zzspectrez: 1

Total: 18
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 January 2012, 22:42:13 by Quarzac »
Risen from the dead for a model F.

Wyse buy colors were GSY for the dark grey, GBA for the light grey, and BBI for the fonts.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 10:12:43 »
Put me down for a set.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 10:15:24 »
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 October 2011, 14:56:33 by reaper »
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 10:16:56 »
Which G81?

Interested, but need layout details first.
[sigpic]Currently in use: Rosewill RK9000 and CH DT225[/sigpic]
"Private misfortunes make for public welfare."

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 10:19:48 »
I'll see if I can get pictures of a set or two. For the record, these will be used, and if the other thread is of any indication, the modifiers are not compatible with most boards.

EDIT: Added model details to original post. G81-8000HPCUS-2.

Wyse buy colors were GSY for the dark grey, GBA for the light grey, and BBI for the fonts.

Offline Dox

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 10:23:01 »
Count me in for a set! And as the others said witch layout exactly are we taking about?

Edit: ok G81-8000HPCUS-2 have the compact layout with the small numpad 0 and short right shift.
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 29494[/ATTACH]
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 October 2011, 10:26:53 by Dox »
ErgoDox x2 | DoxKB x2 |   IBM SSK   | HHKB pro2

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 10:30:15 »
Quote from: Dox;436707
Count me in for a set! And as the others said witch layout exactly are we taking about?

Edit: ok G81-8000HPCUS-2 have the compact layout with the small numpad 0 and short right shift.
(Attachment Link) 29494[/ATTACH]
That's the G81-1800. The G81-8000 is a normal ANSI layout.
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 29495[/ATTACH]

Offline Dox

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 10:33:35 »
Quote from: Quarzac;436713
That's the G81-1800. The G81-8000 is a normal ANSI layout.
(Attachment Link) 29495[/ATTACH]
Yeah you'r right. I've been fooled by this.

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 11:49:17 »
Update with order closing information.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 13:21:26 »
What colour are the keycaps? (white with black font, or black with white lettering)?

I'd be interested, depending on that, and possibly layout.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 13:22:33 »
These will fit a Filco with the exception of the spacebar and Caps Lock keys, correct?

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 13:33:03 »
Put me down for 2....
REALFORCE|FILCO|HHKB|KBC POKER X|LEOPOLD|CM STORM|SIIG (GHSS)|IBM SSK

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 13:42:32 »
Quote from: dorkvader;436795
What colour are the keycaps? (white with black font, or black with white lettering)?

I'd be interested, depending on that, and possibly layout.
Regular ANSI layout. white font, black caps.

Quote from: keyboardlover;436797
These will fit a Filco with the exception of the spacebar and Caps Lock keys, correct?
I'm not sure. I don't have Filco to check. Nor the caps. From the last thread:
Quote from: N8N;413463
no, I bought two of them. The bottom row is offset, as is the caps lock key (which I assume that you already anticipated.)  The space bar is completely different as well and will require some serious modding to work, although it is the same length as a regular Cherry MX board or Filco etc.  You'll need a full moogle kit to make these work, alternately see my post here if you are OK with the epoxy:

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?20990-My-own-anti-otaku-Filco-(w-modem-burning-pics)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 13:44:37 »
Damn it I knew I should have bought a black moogle kit. Hopefully they will have a round 3, in the mean time I'll use the stock keycaps.

Offline Bongoojingie

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 13:47:02 »
I'll take one.
Realforce 87U Black Uniform 30g | Filco TKL Black Ergo Clear | Filco TKL White Ergo Clear | Filco TKL Linear R Limited | Custom Dell AT102W w/ White ALPS | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S | TypeNow Solid Blues | SteelSeries 7G

Offline Dox

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 15:43:59 »
Hey Quarzac, I don't know where you get the keycaps but there is a lot of 10 G81-8000HPCUS-2s  at a buy it now price of 100$ on ebay. Maybe this GB could be even cheaper.

Offline N8N

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 15:45:34 »
nice.  Just be aware that the bottom row is not doubleshot and all off-center, but if it doesn't go nuts...
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 16:32:36 »
Quote from: Dox;436877
Hey Quarzac, I don't know where you get the keycaps but there is a lot of 10 G81-8000HPCUS-2s  at a buy it now price of 100$ on ebay. Maybe this GB could be even cheaper.
Perhaps! I was actually talking to that seller a short while ago. He's apparently got a ton of them. I was planning on buying from him. Not gonna lie, I was looking to make some decent profit from this whole buy, as I don't have a job, and I'll have to find something to do with 10s of useless naked boards, pull all the caps, pack them up and ship them, but if enough people either oppose my profiteering or we get enough orders that I can talk him way down, we'll see what happens. I feel like $25 is a fair price, but I'll definitely drop the overall price if I end up getting them really cheap.

EDIT: I'll try to get those G81s. I would appreciate it if any other GHers would kindly allow me to unapposed.
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 October 2011, 16:39:23 by Quarzac »

Offline RColinTaylor

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 16:35:42 »
Quote from: Quarzac;436910
Perhaps! I was actually talking to that seller a short while ago. He's apparently got a ton of them. I was planning on buying from him. Not gonna lie, I was looking to make some decent profit from this whole buy, as I don't have a job, and I'll have to find something to do with 10s of useless naked boards, pull all the caps, pack them up and ship them, but if enough people either oppose my profiteering or we get enough orders that I can talk him way down, we'll see what happens. I feel like $25 is a fair price, but I'll definitely drop the overall price if I end up getting them really cheap.

I think it depends on the quality of the boards themselves. Logistically, if you are shipping to the states and you get the boards from this chap for a good price (lower than his $100) you could probably turn $5 per board after shipping if sold for $20, or $10 if sold for $25 (I did maths). Gaining a profit off of something like this is not unheard of; just look at how the TeamLiquid caps turned out after all of the price reductions from SP are factored in.
I like my Browns more than my Blues.

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 16:41:47 »
Quote from: RColinTaylor;436912
I think it depends on the quality of the boards themselves. Logistically, if you are shipping to the states and you get the boards from this chap for a good price (lower than his $100) you could probably turn $5 per board after shipping if sold for $20, or $10 if sold for $25 (I did maths). Gaining a profit off of something like this is not unheard of; just look at how the TeamLiquid caps turned out after all of the price reductions from SP are factored in.
I wasn't sure if people would be mad that I was trying to profit from this, since I always see so many GBs that say something along the lines of "I'm not trying to profit off this..." The real killer with these boards will be shipping. It'll probably be around 35-40 pounds, so shipping could be nasty. I'll see what I can work the seller for.

Offline RColinTaylor

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 16:44:05 »
Quote from: Quarzac;436920
I wasn't sure if people would be mad that I was trying to profit from this, since I always see so many GBs that say something along the lines of "I'm not trying to profit off this..." The real killer with these boards will be shipping. It'll probably be around 35-40 pounds, so shipping could be nasty. I'll see what I can work the seller for.

Well if you take more than 10 off of him (like 30 or so) then I am sure he will figure out some way to compensate your buying in bulk[ierness].

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 16:51:50 »
Quote from: RColinTaylor;436923
Well if you take more than 10 off of him (like 30 or so) then I am sure he will figure out some way to compensate your buying in bulk[ierness].
Well, we've got to make it to more than 10 orders first! How about you, RColinTaylor? :biggrin:

Offline RColinTaylor

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 16:55:03 »
Quote from: Quarzac;436930
Well, we've got to make it to more than 10 orders first! How about you, RColinTaylor? :biggrin:

Pending Quality and if the shipped price is $30 starting in the first week of November? sure, why the hell not.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 16:57:47 »
Also, do yourself the favor of knowing what to do with the remaining stripped boards before you get inundated with them.  I happen to have a free e-recycle bin in my town.  :)
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 16:58:20 »
Quote from: RColinTaylor;436932
Pending Quality and if the shipped price is $30 starting in the first week of November? sure, why the hell not.
I can guarantee that the shipped price will NEVER go up. If it changes, I'll be adding a negative. I'll try to win those boards to get an idea of quality. If they're suitable, I'll ship them out to the folk who've already ordered. I'll also do some number crunching around that time and will probably lower the price on these first 10 if I can get them for very cheap.

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 17:20:52 »
Making more than $5 per set is just taking advantage of people. I was quoted more than $130 shipped for 10 when I started this and I posted $25 shipped each.

At $30 each per set you'll be making $15 per set based on the last 2 sets that sold. Maybe I'm just a nice guy, but I'd rather just use buy it now and do it myself.

It wouldn't be more than 2 hours of work to strip the caps, pack them up and ship them. I've done this for maybe 80 keyboards now. Its not that time consuming.

Sent from my EVO
Check out my sales thread.

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
KBC w/Reds and Cherry doubleshots in imsto\'s case
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g
KMAC Titanium/Winkeyless (in the mail)

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 17:30:53 »
Quote from: BiNiaRiS;436947
Making more than $5 per set is just taking advantage of people. I was quoted more than $130 shipped for 10 when I started this and I posted $25 shipped each.

At $30 each per set you'll be making $15 per set based on the last 2 sets that sold. Maybe I'm just a nice guy, but I'd rather just use buy it now and do it myself.

It wouldn't be more than 2 hours of work to strip the caps, pack them up and ship them. I've done this for maybe 80 keyboards now. Its not that time consuming.

Sent from my EVO
Fair enough. I didn't know where people sat profit margin wise. Though, I must admit I read your original thread wrong. I intended to use the same pricing. I'll fix that. Like I said, I can agree that, for that price, $25 is a substantial bit more than necessary. I'll edit the OP reflecting a better scheme.

Offline duq

• Connoisseur
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 18:58:59 »
Count me in for a white/beige set plz. Tyty!

Offline RColinTaylor

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 19:00:48 »
Quote from: duq;436990
Count me in for a white/beige set plz. Tyty!

What white/beige set? These are just White on Black DS's from old Cherry boards.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 19:03:59 »
I think this gb is only for white legends on black keycaps.

Offline Dox

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 19:08:57 »
I'll take a second set!

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 19:12:24 »
Btw, you should be able to fit the whole set in the flat rate boxes. BiNiaRiS sent me a white set with all the keys in that box.

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 19:17:10 »
Quote from: demik;437000
Btw, you should be able to fit the whole set in the flat rate boxes. BiNiaRiS sent me a white set with all the keys in that box.
Yeah, I PM'd Biniaris, and he told me much the same. Dox, you know that shipping for you will likely be slightly more due to your Canadian origin, correct?

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 19:17:32 »
In for 2 sets.  More if the price drops.

Offline Dox

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 19:21:04 »
Quote from: Quarzac;437003
Yeah, I PM'd Biniaris, and he told me much the same. Dox, you know that shipping for you will likely be slightly more due to your Canadian origin, correct?
I know, that's correct, thanks.

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 19:21:18 »
Quote from: hashbaz;437004
In for 2 sets.  More if the price drops.
The lowest forseeable price will be $18 shipped, at least for these first 10 orders. The next however many, we'll have to see.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 19:23:58 »
If it goes down to that low of a price, sign me up for another one then. If not, one is fine.

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 19:27:09 »
Again, a reminder to people: Stay away from that eBay auction. It's the best way for me to minimize the price of 10 of them.

Offline RColinTaylor

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 19:29:42 »
Quote from: Quarzac;437012
Again, a reminder to people: Stay away from that eBay auction. It's the best way for me to minimize the price of 10 of them.

I bid $20 because I can. Not at reserve though... so you are safe.

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 19:39:44 »
Quote from: RColinTaylor;437014
I bid $20 because I can. Not at reserve though... so you are safe.
Alright. I know where the reserve is, so if there's no interference, I should be able to get them at the minimum price.

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 19:51:18 »
i would like 1 set if they are in decent condition.

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g

Offline godofdeath

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 21:05:51 »
i want one but what keys wont work for filcos, i can't see well right now because of stupid eye doc so not reading through the posts

Offline RColinTaylor

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 21:08:53 »
Quote from: godofdeath;437051
i want one but what keys wont work for filcos, i can't see well right now because of stupid eye doc so not reading through the posts

I think it is just some of the modifiers; your 1-z keys should fit just fine from what I am familiar with. Esc+Fkeys too.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 21:26:39 »
I got a seller to pull the keycaps off a board for me, and just ship those. Maybe talk to your seller about that? It'd cut down on shipping, and really doesn't take that much time. You can mail them a keypuller to make it faster.

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 21:29:11 »
Quote from: dorkvader;437058
I got a seller to pull the keycaps off a board for me, and just ship those. Maybe talk to your seller about that? It'd cut down on shipping, and really doesn't take that much time. You can mail them a keypuller to make it faster.
Hah, I can't mail them a keypuller because I don't have one! I'm going to order one the day I order these. I will ask him though. That's a good idea, and it would save me from having to deal with the boards. godofdeath, the modifiers, caps lock, and space bar won't fit.

Offline RColinTaylor

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 21:30:29 »
Quote from: Quarzac;437059
Hah, I can't mail them a keypuller because I don't have one! I'm going to order one the day I order these. I will ask him though. That's a good idea, and it would save me from having to deal with the boards. godofdeath, the modifiers, caps lock, and space bar won't fit.

Just order a keypuller from EK and put their address as the shipping address. $5 to theoretically save around $20+ on shipping.

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 21:33:02 »
A legitimate idea. I'll see what I can do.

Offline RColinTaylor

« Reply #47 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 21:34:32 »
Quote from: Quarzac;437061
A legitimate idea. I'll see what I can do.

Plus, from what I can tell in this thread we are going to want way more than 10 keyboards at even the $18 price per and if we can get what we really want, the keycaps, for less than that and if they are in good condition then I see no reason to invest in the seller a little bit. The trick will be convincing him to do the extra work.

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 21:56:46 »
I'm in for one.
[sigpic]Currently in use: Rosewill RK9000 and CH DT225[/sigpic]
"Private misfortunes make for public welfare."

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #49 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 21:57:24 »
Quote from: RColinTaylor;437063
Plus, from what I can tell in this thread we are going to want way more than 10 keyboards at even the $18 price per and if we can get what we really want, the keycaps, for less than that and if they are in good condition then I see no reason to invest in the seller a little bit. The trick will be convincing him to do the extra work.

He's not gonna do a bunch of extra work when he's barely making any money on them. It might save $20 in shipping but if I were him I'd charge at least $20 for my time.

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g