Author Topic: [IC] Candy - A Colorful Keyset  (Read 5933 times)

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
[IC] Candy - A Colorful Keyset
« on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 04:45:28 »
I made an updated version, comments are welcomed and encouraged.

Old post:
More
Since SP now has their whole group buy feature and it seems relatively painless, I'm interested in creating a set to run a GB for.

This is what I've mocked up.

Presumably legends won't look exactly like in the mockup and more like the large centered legends SP has done before. Potential concerns with too many colors and legends being hard to read on the yellow keys.

Input and interest is welcome.
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 March 2014, 21:50:30 by RESPRiT »
;)

Offline strafe

• Strafe's Blog
Re: [IC] Candy DSA Keyset
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 05:42:34 »
May be easier to split into seperate group buys, eg:

Blue on White Alphas w/ White on Blue Mods
CMYW DSA w/ CMYW Escape Keys
Green on White Mods
Freebird WKL (Blacks Clear-Tops), iKBC F-104 (Blacks) and more!

Offline MsYutai

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 15:59:55 »
Hey that purple isn't pink like in the mock-up! =P

Can we see a version where you swap the blue and green around? Since it is kinda similar to Raindrop as it is now.

CM Storm Quickfire XT - MX Reds

Roccat Kone Pure Optical|Kana v2|Zowie FK|Logitech g500s|Mionix Naos 7000|CM Spawn|Logitech Performance MX

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 01:10:58 »
The blues are very similar in plastic color. The greeny-blue is more just blue; and the alphas are pretty close to raindrop. I haven't looked at colors but getting an actual bright pink in there might be cool if they have anything, are custom colors expensive? This looks pretty neat though, I like the concept.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 01:16:45 »
May be easier to split into seperate group buys, eg:

Blue on White Alphas w/ White on Blue Mods
CMYW DSA w/ CMYW Escape Keys
Green on White Mods

^My thoughts exactly^

I would love a Blue on White Alphas w/ White on Blue Mods DSA set.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 08:14:02 »
I like where this is going. I think we need to see some alternate mock ups to satisfy everyone's curiosity. Is BE only used for one key? The purple / pink is confusing me too.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 08:56:05 »
MY GOD

I love hate that very much

I'll have to buy it
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 19 February 2014, 11:37:11 »
did a VERY quick mockup in photoshop using the actual plastic colors and added a wood background.
i have the flu so i was like w/e my brain is dying

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 18:52:24 »
Thanks for the input guys, I was out of town for a week, but I'm working with someone else and will be posting updates soon.
;)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 18:56:20 »
OMG I need my sun glasses! 8)

Offline ephrog

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 00:17:25 »
Hm, interested depending on how the mods are handled. Really like the purple, and would probably love a purple on white alpha set.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 13:59:07 »
Interesting theme! The only things that look weird (or missing) to me are:

The white on yellow for the Shifts is almost impossible to see. That might not matter to anyone. I get that this is supposed to be a very bright, intense color scheme -- so I'm not sure what to do about that issue. Maybe an orange instead of a yellow?

If this is candy themed -- it needs a candy-themed icon key. RainDrop had a raindrop, Retro has the Commodore key, etc. It would have to be relatively simple, but recognizable. Maybe a candycorn? A jelly bean? Or maybe make it a brony thing -- lol!
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline poog

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 15:00:09 »
I'm interested too. But i like pink over purple lol

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 16:37:20 »
This is surprisingly enticing, and vaguely reminiscent of Handarbeit.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 21:50:03 »
Updated the OP with a new concept. Here's a simple version:

Changes:
-Legends are no longer centered
-Cut down on 1 color
-Colors adjusted to more closely match the samples
-Keyset is no longer specifically DSA

I may start working on icons for the novelty keys that would presumably go along with the set.
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 March 2014, 21:52:14 by RESPRiT »
;)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: [IC] Candy - A Colorful Keyset
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 23:07:34 »
Will non-centred legends work with DSA keycaps?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 23:15:15 »
Will non-centred legends work with DSA keycaps?

I'm actually not quite sure, maybe not. In which case I would probably check for interest in either (or both) DCS and DSA.
;)

Offline Kfactork

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 23:24:16 »
I liked it until you made the legends non-centered.
Also +1 on Pink instead of purple. If we are going for candy, why not keep it pink so it could stand out?

Offline HotKillerZzz

• Ammesia
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 09:26:32 »
I think centered legends looks nicer to fit your candy theme.
Prefer centered legends for just the letters and function row while the rest non-centered.
 :thumb:

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 09:38:47 »
Since people really seem to miss the centered legends, I'll update the post and put up a poll or something. Although I don't think there's enough interest yet to warrant a group buy with this kind of color scheme.
;)

Offline Coreda

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 21:55:39 »
Also +1 on Pink instead of purple. If we are going for candy, why not keep it pink so it could stand out?

Pink suits the theme best I think. The cute large centered font also worked well, making it distinct from other sets.

Inspired by Respirit's work I had some fun with a Photoshopped Poker II layout in fruity and chocolate versions. AFAIK SP doesn't even have these colors available so I hope it's okay posting the experiments here. Just need some Willy Wonka edible keycaps, haha :D

More
59788-059790-159792-2

Offline Kfactork

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 22:00:02 »

Pink suits the theme best I think. The cute large centered font also worked well, making it distinct from other sets.

Inspired by Respirit's work I had some fun with a Photoshopped Poker II layout in fruity and chocolate versions. AFAIK SP doesn't even have these colors available so I hope it's okay posting the experiments here. Just need some Willy Wonka edible keycaps, haha :D

More

Makes me think of Life savers, gummy bears, and... bikinies?  8)
Looks good Coreda.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 11:59:34 »
I made an updated version, comments are welcomed and encouraged.

Show Image

Old post:
More
Since SP now has their whole group buy feature and it seems relatively painless, I'm interested in creating a set to run a GB for.

This is what I've mocked up.

Show Image

Presumably legends won't look exactly like in the mockup and more like the large centered legends SP has done before. Potential concerns with too many colors and legends being hard to read on the yellow keys.

Input and interest is welcome.

May as well do group buy for 5 Tao Hao sets (the different generations now supply enough colour combos). Then split these up among 5 people and each will have his own unique candy.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.