Author Topic: [IC] Evil 80-Odyssey  (Read 23572 times)

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
Re: [IC] Evil 80-Odyssey
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 09:24:27 »

That's true, you can make QMK support anything because it's open sourced. However, there is currently built in support for some ARM chips by leveraging chibiOS. Both require work but if the chips are supported, then there is less work.

Yes, I've looked at that part of codes last year in the TMK project but have never used it. Actually there're two smt32 chips on our PCB, one scans the matrix, another one controls the LEDs. I think it might be not too difficult to just run QMK on this PCB, but it will take a lot of efforts on enabling the LED modes we implemented in our firmware.

We can share the schematic diagram if anyone really want to port QMK.

I'd be interested to give it a shot! I think it's cool that you've made your own firmware, please don't view my comments as a "WHY YOU NO MAKE QMK KEYBOARD? YOU SUCKK!!!!". lol. As long as you offer full programmability with a UI that offers a good user experience and doesn't make me feel the need to come back here and ask a million questions, I'm fine with it. I'm mostly interested in the QMK support just because I enjoy programming for it. =)

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 09:26:03 »
3. I can design a QMK PCB within one hour.

Wow!!!!!! I may have to reach out to you for PCB design in the future =).

Offline zl_ramiel

« Reply #52 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 11:40:54 »
So far we have 48 responses in the IC form.

The most requested colors are white and blue.

Some other suggestions proposed by more than 2 people include 1) nameplate 2) brass plate 3) QMK or bootmapper 4) ISO layout

1) The factory has confirmed they can make customized nameplates. I haven't got the quote tho.
2) Brass plate will be an option with a MOQ.
3) I don't agree with you but I'll try to port QMK. I haven't tried this before so it's not guaranteed to success. Bootmapper won't be possible.
4) TBD

If you're interested in this board and haven't filled int the form, please do fill in the form and tell us what's your suggestions.

This is our project but the board will be yours. We won't make everyone satisfied but we're try to do our best.

Offline bluesclera

« Reply #53 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 11:48:03 »

Some other suggestions proposed by more than 2 people include 1) nameplate 2) brass plate 3) QMK or bootmapper 4) ISO layout

1) The factory has confirmed they can make customized nameplates. I haven't got the quote tho.
3) I don't agree with you but I'll try to port QMK. I haven't tried this before so it's not guaranteed to success. Bootmapper won't be possible.
4) TBD

If you're interested in this board and haven't filled int the form, please do fill in the form and tell us what's your suggestions.

This is our project but the board will be yours. We won't make everyone satisfied but we're try to do our best.

What website was the 1st group buy conducted from? I like to be early for your next project.

Offline afrokobe

« Reply #54 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 13:15:55 »

4) TBD

What website was the 1st group buy conducted from? I like to be early for your next project.
taobao

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 16:16:31 »
QMK is the preferred firmware of the west, but I know a lot of boards in China use non-programmable PCBs. QMK shouldn't be too hard to do if you're using a 32u4.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #56 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 16:30:06 »
QMK is the preferred firmware of the west, but I know a lot of boards in China use non-programmable PCBs. QMK shouldn't be too hard to do if you're using a 32u4.
They are using a STM32F103RCT6 and a STMF103C8T6

I used the board for a while and I found a few things that have to be improved upon with the Firmware and the GUI. I don't have all the time right now but here are a few points;
-The software needs a cluster of all Keys you can rebind the Keys to. Right now you only have a numpad, but if you want to shuffe around stuff for hardware Dvorak for example you need a second keyboard to press the key.
-The software needs to show which key a key was bound to, not just show the standard binding in a different color
-The software needs some English documentation
-The software needs to crash less
-The firmware gets buggy when used with a program that supports HID Lighting commands.
-I have no ****ing idea how layers work (see the documentation bit)
-The PCB in it's current state is way too sensitive. When I checked if it worked it put out different rows of keys depending on what I used to bridge the pads and if I had my feet on the ground or not.

Offline zl_ramiel

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 20:38:44 »
They are using a STM32F103RCT6 and a STMF103C8T6

I used the board for a while and I found a few things that have to be improved upon with the Firmware and the GUI. I don't have all the time right now but here are a few points;
-The software needs a cluster of all Keys you can rebind the Keys to. Right now you only have a numpad, but if you want to shuffe around stuff for hardware Dvorak for example you need a second keyboard to press the key.
-The software needs to show which key a key was bound to, not just show the standard binding in a different color
-The firmware gets buggy when used with a program that supports HID Lighting commands.
-The PCB in it's current state is way too sensitive. When I checked if it worked it put out different rows of keys depending on what I used to bridge the pads and if I had my feet on the ground or not.

Thanks for your feedback. That's really helpful for improving the PCB and software. I hope you had shared your experiences earlier. Chinese customers in our R1 GB were not good at finding/reporting these problems.

- Problem 1 and 2 are related to ease of use. We'll take these as suggestions and improve the software in the next version
- Problem 3 and 6 are related to the English documentation. Since the R1 GB was only opened for the Chinese community, I'm sorry to here you had so many troubles.
- Problem 4: I'm surprised to hear the software crashs because I've been using it for 1 year without crash. What version are you using? The current version is 1.0.4
- Problem 5: Can you elaborate?
- Problem 7: The PCB is designed for using, not for testing with tweezers. Do you have problems with normal usage?

I've contacted you on discord. Hope we can solve all the problems you had.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #58 on: Sat, 23 December 2017, 16:44:38 »

zl_ramiel, this is what I was attempting to reference earlier. Albeit, I was a little rude in my forward comments. I truly admire the attempt to write your own firmware from scratch; it's certainly an impressive project. But various other open source firmwares are tested and proven.

As a personal project, I love it. As a commercial (rather enthusiast) offering, you're limiting your market. At this point, you don't have to sell us on the board itself, you have to sell us on the firmware. If that makes sense?
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #59 on: Sat, 23 December 2017, 19:09:21 »

zl_ramiel, this is what I was attempting to reference earlier. Albeit, I was a little rude in my forward comments. I truly admire the attempt to write your own firmware from scratch; it's certainly an impressive project. But various other open source firmwares are tested and proven.

As a personal project, I love it. As a commercial (rather enthusiast) offering, you're limiting your market. At this point, you don't have to sell us on the board itself, you have to sell us on the firmware. If that makes sense?

people will buy a board if it's good, regardless of firmware

have you ever tried to program an OTD?

don't get so caught up in what firmware the board is using, i'm sure it's usable enough as it is

if it's too much work to convert to QMK, it might not be worth it at all
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #60 on: Sat, 23 December 2017, 19:13:11 »

don't get so caught up in what firmware the board is using, i'm sure it's usable enough as it is

I'm not saying to convert to QMK. All the work has been done to this point, why not see it through? But hearing stuff like... 'the software needs to crash less', is never a good sign.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #61 on: Sat, 23 December 2017, 19:22:04 »

I'm not saying to convert to QMK. All the work has been done to this point, why not see it through? But hearing stuff like... 'the software needs to crash less', is never a good sign.

i've had a lot of problems with QMK, but i concede it's the least awful offering

having used most available options, here is my personal ranking: QMK > Bootmapper Client > PS2AVR and its variants > JigOn > O2D (duck boards) >>> Aikon (OTDs)

QMK isn't particularly intuitive if you, like me, are not a computer person

BMC has the opposite issue, where it's very easy to use, but is geared a bit more towards the entry level user, and so the features aren't quite as useful

PS2AVR has both problems, but is the most stable option i've used

JigOn is very full featured, but it has a lot of weird unexplainable bugs

O2D is usable once you've had it explained to you, but it definitely takes a lot of work to get right

Aikon user experience has been compared to prison before

Offline zl_ramiel

« Reply #62 on: Sat, 23 December 2017, 19:27:04 »

Conclusion first, I'll provide 32u4 PCBs which can be programmed by QMK. The following are some of my thoughts regarding to the firmware. You can read if you're interested.

• The reason we developed this software is we want to provide a PCB with various LED modes which can't be provided by QMK and bootmapper. On the other hand, we hope this software has a proper GUI like bootmapper client, so that users don't need to download QMK codes and related dependencies and compile the firmware.
  • I mentioned that I'll upload a video to show off what this PCB can do. Some people don't even care what we did on the firmware and just refuse to accept this firmware. That's not fair.
  • kawasaki161 do have pointed out some problems. But read these problems and my response carefully. These are all important and need to be improved, but none of them are related to the normal usage of the firmware. Some are related to the ease of use. Even bootmapper are not perfect on that ease of use imo. Some are related to the lack of documentation in English, for a previous Chinese GB? About the crash issue, I found it happens on Windows 8.1 which is an OS we're not fully tested. We had it fully tested on Windows 7 and 10. About the sensitivity issue, that happens on extreme cases. I'm not saying these problems are not important. They're important and we'll solve them. That doesn't mean this project is failed already.
  • At this stage, with these strong opposition from you, we won't provide our own firmware/PCBs anymore. This project will come back again in the future with impressive new features, or, will never come back again.
  • Yes, QMK is our current plan. To those can't program or compile QMK, don't worry, we'll provide solutions.

TLDR: Our software is not that bad (sorry I'm stubborn). QMK is the new plan.

I appreciate all your suggestions. Rude or not, you love this board and want it to be better.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #63 on: Sat, 23 December 2017, 19:28:43 »
figured it was LED modes

i love LED modes, it was the only good thing about aikon

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #64 on: Sat, 23 December 2017, 21:54:25 »
Not everyone wants to use qmk. All of my boards are Leeku pcbs that are programmable though jiGon which is windows only. These things are not deal breakers.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #65 on: Sat, 23 December 2017, 22:10:19 »
Not everyone wants to use qmk. All of my boards are Leeku pcbs that are programmable though jiGon which is windows only. These things are not deal breakers.

some people are picky

i personally don't give a ****, i'll use anything as long as it's not aikon

Offline afrokobe

« Reply #66 on: Sat, 23 December 2017, 22:20:28 »
don't let everyone bully you into making it QMK half of these people that say "I would buy if QMK" won't buy.  Im perfectly fine with the board as is, its a tkl how much do you really need to program...

Offline nickysan92

« Reply #67 on: Sat, 23 December 2017, 23:14:38 »
I agree: I'm fine with the firmware as is and don't really care for QMK.

I'd be more than happy to join this group buy without QMK support.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #68 on: Sat, 23 December 2017, 23:27:43 »
Let the record stand, I'm not trying to push anyone towards or away from QMK. I just want it recognized that writing your own firmware, let alone using QMK alternatives, is risky. If all the kinks are ironed out, it's as good as gold by my books.

Edit: I feel like this was blown WAY out of proportion. It's a super clean board with a well designed pcb and a creator who cares enough to write his own damn firmware. If that isn't dedication I don't know what is.
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 December 2017, 23:29:23 by _rubik »

Offline poolside

« Reply #69 on: Sun, 24 December 2017, 03:41:17 »
What are these specific LED modes and what was preventing them from being implemented with QMK? Just curious here, I don't know anything about PCBs or firmware development. I don't mind a (not too) technical explanation though.

What are the benefits of using a separate chip to drive the LEDs?

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #70 on: Sun, 24 December 2017, 09:38:38 »
zl_ramiel, if possible, I'd prefer you offer both PCBs similar to how the M645-A from Jchan and Rama had the bootmapper client(I think it was BMC) and a QMK JC65 PCB. That way it would satisfy both crowds. However my opinion would be to figure out how to use the same board that supports both QMK and your firmware which would result in only having to manufacture 1 PCB!

Offline cdn-mini

« Reply #71 on: Sun, 24 December 2017, 10:21:07 »
Let the record stand, I'm not trying to push anyone towards or away from QMK. I just want it recognized that writing your own firmware, let alone using QMK alternatives, is risky. If all the kinks are ironed out, it's as good as gold by my books.

Edit: I feel like this was blown WAY out of proportion. It's a super clean board with a well designed pcb and a creator who cares enough to write his own damn firmware. If that isn't dedication I don't know what is.

Let it be known for now and for all time that _rubik  is an American butth0!e. Thanks for ****ing it up for the rest of us, it's not like there are many TKL options you twat!

Offline wholypantalones

« Reply #72 on: Sun, 24 December 2017, 10:44:54 »

some people are picky

i personally don't give a ****, i'll use anything as long as it's not aikon

Same, this is a nice tkl and I'll probably join regardless of software or firmware or whatever.

Offline zl_ramiel

« Reply #73 on: Sun, 24 December 2017, 11:33:53 »
Hi guys. Thanks for all your words and support.

I'm not mad on most of you who asked for QMK. The only thing made me sad was someone said he doesn’t trust my software because I might be shady. That's really ridiculous to me. I don't even want to comment on this. Let's just ignore it.

I changed the plan to 32u4 PCB mainly because I want to stop the meaningless (imo) discussion for the firmware. I mean, this is a nice board, an 80% board. But now this thread is full of discussions about the firmware. This is stupid.

Now the decision is made, and won't be changed again. I figured it out QMK is not the good to everyone but should be acceptable for most of you. I know some of you don’t have programming background and can’t handle QMK. We’ll provide solutions later and help you with that.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #74 on: Sun, 24 December 2017, 12:09:57 »
Hi guys. Thanks for all your words and support.

I'm not mad on most of you who asked for QMK. The only thing made me sad was someone said he doesn’t trust my software because I might be shady. That's really ridiculous to me. I don't even want to comment on this. Let's just ignore it.

I changed the plan to 32u4 PCB mainly because I want to stop the meaningless (imo) discussion for the firmware. I mean, this is a nice board, an 80% board. But now this thread is full of discussions about the firmware. This is stupid.

Now the decision is made, and won't be changed again. I figured it out QMK is not the good to everyone but should be acceptable for most of you. I know some of you don’t have programming background and can’t handle QMK. We’ll provide solutions later and help you with that.

thanks for the update

Offline zl_ramiel

« Reply #75 on: Sun, 24 December 2017, 18:50:13 »
current color voting (67 participants):

• blue, cyan, turquoise, dark blue, navy: 18
  • white, mao: 9
  • purple, dark purple: 6
  • gold, rose gold: 3
  • green, dark green, lime green: 3
  • orange: 3
  • brass, copper: 2

Offline wholypantalones

« Reply #76 on: Sun, 24 December 2017, 19:36:57 »
I'm not a topre fan, but I've always wanted an 86u.

I think this with some dark gray or beige caps would be be pretty damn close in terms of looks.

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #77 on: Sun, 24 December 2017, 20:51:37 »
I'm not a topre fan, but I've always wanted an 86u.

I think this with some dark gray or beige caps would be be pretty damn close in terms of looks.

Show Image

I’ll be going for a black case, black plate, winkey blockers, and custom name tag. I’d love it to look similar to an 86u, just metal and nicer. I have a black Viper that it would pair nicely with.

Offline Eric404atx

« Reply #78 on: Wed, 27 December 2017, 18:56:34 »
Black with brass accents plz  :p

Offline odd

« Reply #79 on: Wed, 27 December 2017, 19:10:26 »

2. Well I sure hope it works on other operating systems...

2+3. By reinventing the wheel, you've made using your product more inconvenient for a large population of the forum.

4. Annnnnndddd that reflects the quality of your firmware.

Board is cool as all hell, I just feel like these concerns should be respectfully raised. That being said, I totally understand the desire to make something entirely your own. It's worlds better than something I could come up with.

Thank you for the input and comments. I didn't expect our PCB annoys so many people. We had a successful R1 GB and no one complained about the PCB or the firmware. You reminded me to clarify something people may be not clear with.

The PCB works on everything operating system because it works under USB HID protocol. The firmware only works for translating the keystrokes to keycodes. And the key codes are all the same for any operating systems. It has nothing to do with the firmware. Hope it makes sense to you.

I personally prefer a custom PCB with a custom keyboard to me that makes it custom vs a generic A87 or GH60 clone QMK/TMK/PSAVR PCB in a custom case. Don't get me wrong I still love my customs that use well known PCB's and having the option for easy replacements is always nice. However like i said though I look for buys that use a custom PCB so count me in on this for sure.

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #80 on: Thu, 28 December 2017, 00:43:59 »
I really like the design of the usb port. Black is always the best choice :thumb:

Offline Peiweisgreat

« Reply #81 on: Thu, 28 December 2017, 12:53:52 »
Doesn't look too good for my purple vote, might have to go with the classics. Regardlesss of Color though, this is going to look really good.

« Reply #82 on: Thu, 28 December 2017, 13:16:09 »
Doesn't look too good for my purple vote, might have to go with the classics. Regardlesss of Color though, this is going to look really good.
I want a purple one too... worst case gotta roll with grey/silver lul

Offline lyk503

« Reply #83 on: Fri, 29 December 2017, 04:23:51 »
This looks amazing! I'm hoping that you will still allow custom name plates. Will there be a limit on production?

Offline alisonica

« Reply #84 on: Fri, 29 December 2017, 07:23:20 »
In for the pink and white Winkeyless one.
I'm gonna use the Varmilo Sakura TKL set on it.
with a pink HolyOpps aluminum cat as Escape.
Is it possible to make the brass weight pink too?

Offline zl_ramiel

« Reply #85 on: Fri, 29 December 2017, 08:21:37 »
Is it possible to make the brass weight pink too?

Brass weight cant be pink but the bottom part can be anodized aluminum.

Offline foxlive

• The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog
« Reply #86 on: Sat, 30 December 2017, 03:11:52 »
Wow wow!! This look amzimg by my design standards :D !! I definitely want one! I will be one of the first to join in !  ;D

Offline zl_ramiel

« Reply #87 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 20:39:54 »
It's been a while since the last time I updated some information. Now we have 85 responses in the IC form. Thank you for your suggestions.

I just updated the plug connector on the case a little bit, mainly for aesthetic. The board is not Evil 80 but the connector design will be the one on your board if you join.

Offline utgnadnart

« Reply #88 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 19:25:37 »
Remind me when this GB happen and I will instant buy it  ;)

Offline Peiweisgreat

« Reply #89 on: Sat, 06 January 2018, 03:22:29 »
Any chance you are allowing different colored top and bottom pieces of the case when the GB happens?

Offline zl_ramiel

« Reply #90 on: Sat, 06 January 2018, 14:57:12 »
Any chance you are allowing different colored top and bottom pieces of the case when the GB happens?

Sorry man, the top and bottom housings must be in the same color.

Offline zl_ramiel

« Reply #91 on: Sat, 06 January 2018, 21:56:42 »
I can't decide which blue to provide but I got an unique one to show you.

This color looks like grey in the dim light but turns to blue in bright light.

Offline bluesclera

« Reply #92 on: Sat, 06 January 2018, 21:59:33 »

Show Image

Show Image

hmm nice, which keyboard is this?

Offline crtexcnndrm99

• *profile image used without permission* ;)
« Reply #93 on: Sat, 06 January 2018, 22:01:24 »

Show Image

Show Image

I like it :thumb:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're a smooth smoothie, you know? ~ Gaear Grimsrud

Offline zl_ramiel

« Reply #94 on: Sat, 06 January 2018, 22:09:58 »

That's another keyboard called Evil90.

Offline bluesclera

« Reply #95 on: Sat, 06 January 2018, 22:11:31 »

Is Evil90 coming up next? or has it already run?

Offline crtexcnndrm99

• *profile image used without permission* ;)
« Reply #96 on: Sat, 06 January 2018, 22:15:17 »

Is Evil90 coming up next? or has it already run?

+1

This evil90 looks like a sweet layout

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're a smooth smoothie, you know? ~ Gaear Grimsrud

Offline Peiweisgreat

« Reply #97 on: Sun, 07 January 2018, 01:52:00 »

Show Image

Show Image

Wow I think it looks pretty cool. Not sure if I would get that color, but it looks nice.

Offline wixxzblu

« Reply #98 on: Sun, 07 January 2018, 04:27:33 »
oh god i love the cat blue!  :thumb:

Offline foxlive

• The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog
« Reply #99 on: Sun, 07 January 2018, 04:46:27 »
This second gray/blue is amazing! Love it