Author Topic: [IC] DSA Freshly Minted (MassDrop Poll Added!!)  (Read 8936 times)

Offline CampAsAChamp

• Absolutely Nasty
[IC] DSA Freshly Minted (MassDrop Poll Added!!)
« on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 22:30:38 »
4/23/17 -
Whats going on guys, so I think I have mostly finalized the kits, and have gotten them down to a price that I would consider reasonable and have now opened a MassDrop poll to gain interest. I have changed up the Non-Standard Modifier kit a bit, to hopefully lower the price a bit, while trying to not lose too many keys. I have added two kits to try and accommodate more layouts (Blanks and Spacebar), so check those out and let me know what you guys think.

MASSDROP POLL
https://www.massdrop.com/vote/DSA-Freshly-Minted

4/6/17 -
So I come to you guys with some good news. Thank all of you guys for taking my survey, I took a lot of feedback from it. I added more keys to the non standard modifier pack (HHKB, MiniVan, FCC660C) but also had to make some compromises.

Summary of changes to kit
  • 50% majority wanted to go with DSA, so I am planning on running the set in that profile.
  • The purchasing place will likely be Massdrop or PMK Set of the Month, as those were the most common responses.
  • There was only 6 potential Ergodox buyers (I know that is partially my fault because I only had blanks) so that kit is going to be scraped.
  • Also a resounding 80% of you guys were down for the Minty Accent kit, so I decided to include that in the TKL mods kit, and replace it with a new Fruity Accent Kit.
    More
  • The ISO kit might need some help as only 15/180 were down to purchase one, but I think it should still be run, as I will purchase a few kits if it needs help reaching MOQ.
  • A lot of people were asking for a Mint leaf novelty and I would love to include this, however I would like to keep this set as cheap as possible (In order for it to reach MOQ), however if enough of you want it, with a bit of an extra price increase, then I will gladly invoice for that. Thank you for the vault door suggestion, I definitely like that.
  • The name "Freshly Minted" seems to be a hit, so I think I will be going with that, but thanks for the other suggestions.

Pricing
I have contacted Melissa from Signature Plastic for a quote and have gotten a response and the pricing is looking pretty solid so far. The only thing that might worry me is the non-standard kit seems a bit high, so that kit might have to be re-done.

SURVEY
https://goo.gl/forms/50rsu4VzW2AB12Su1

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi all, here is an interest check for a Midnight & Mint type keyset (dark grey/blue & mint).
I was looking at my phone one day (Nextbit Robin) and really liked the design and colors of it. That color combo has been one of my favorites, and was wondering if there were others out there too.

This is just an interest check to see if enough people like the colors, and also if people are okay with the colors, ex. it doesn't look too much like HyperFuse or LightCycle.

I personally think the mods definitely look a bit like HyperFuse but I am not a big fan of the purple for that set, but I'd love to get a discussion going on this.

So without further adieu...

DSA Freshly Minted

Regular TKL (Regular Alphas + TKL Modifier kit + Mint Accent Kit)

Midnight TKL (Midnight Alphas + TKL Modifier Kit + Mint Accent Kit)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regular Alphas

Midnight Alphas

TKL Modifier Kit

Fruity Accent Kit

Numpad Kit

Planck Kit

Non-Standard Modifier Kit

ISO Kit

Blank Kit

Space Bar Kit

TODO

- Pick a profile
- Experiment with the colors
- Make specialty kits like ISO, Tsangan/Whitefox, 1800, Dvorak/Colemak.
- Make International and UK kits
- Make alternative color kits
- Make Novelties?
- Collect community suggestions
- Get info on pricing
- Start Massdrop Poll

- Pick a date to start
- Pick a Group Buy Place
- Run it
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 April 2017, 22:05:05 by CampAsAChamp »

Offline CampAsAChamp

• Absolutely Nasty
Re: [IC] DSA Freshly Minted
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 22:35:02 »
Log

3/19/17 - Created initial interest check for the color way
3/21/17 - Created child kits
3/22/17 - Changed Midnight alphas kit, to have ability to fully midnight a TKL
4/6/17 - Scraped Ergodox Kit & Mint Accent Kit. Added Fruity Accent Kit. Added some keys in non-standard pack to have more layouts filled(HHKB, Minivan) Name will be DSA Freshly Minted, hoping to go with MassDrop or PMK set of the month.
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 April 2017, 14:44:35 by CampAsAChamp »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 22:40:09 »
i really like it but there are so many dark blue sets right now

also DCS??
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 00:02:49 »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 00:04:38 »

also DCS??

Show Image

im gonna do this in every thread until someone runs a DCS buy again

frankly i might just do it myself at this point
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline CampAsAChamp

• Absolutely Nasty
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 00:08:42 »

also DCS??

Show Image

What happened with DCS?

Im not opposed to changing profiles however I don't think it would look good in SA, I'm down for other suggestions though.

Sent from my Robin using Tapatalk

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 00:08:49 »

also DCS??

Show Image

You'll most likely get interest if it's an appealing colorway (with some requests to turn it into GMK instead).  It's just entertaining listening to some on hear rant about DCS like it's the keycap profile that kicked their puppy or such.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 00:12:08 »
What happened with DCS?

Im not opposed to changing profiles however I don't think it would look good in SA, I'm down for other suggestions though.

GMK got cheaper and lowered their MOQ

You'll most likely get interest if it's an appealing colorway (with some requests to turn it into GMK instead).  It's just entertaining listening to some on hear rant about DCS like it's the keycap profile that kicked their puppy or such.

i ****ing love dcs and everyone gets their panties in a twist about it

can be had for similar prices to JTK with proper legends and a much faster turnaround

Offline hansichen

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 07:05:48 »
This looks like royal navy with a different return keycap.

Offline Ouhei

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 08:35:38 »
This is a good looking set and I'm all for more DSA sets coming around. I assume these would be ABS since SP can't do double-shot PBT?

Offline Omnipotent

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 11:13:24 »
I'm really digging the colors on this. I've already got a lot of DSA sets but I am still pretty interested.  :thumb:
AKA: /u/io2red on /r/mk
, Ducky YotM, Anne Pro, & Plum84 RGB (35g) | Waiting on: KBD75, & Keycaps.
Wanted:
More
Unknown :).

Offline CampAsAChamp

• Absolutely Nasty
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 11:20:23 »
This is a good looking set and I'm all for more DSA sets coming around. I assume these would be ABS since SP can't do double-shot PBT?
If I had it my way I'd definitely go PBT, but yea if it were to go DSA it would be double shot ABS.

Offline SuperVan

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 15:22:39 »
u can change ur design. cyan looks much better on base legend.

通过我的 ONEPLUS A3010 上的 Tapatalk发言

Offline Captainbuttmonkey

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 15:29:52 »
At the risk of backlash, I too would be down for DCS...

Mind you I'm a fan of most profiles

Offline Maybee

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 18:15:59 »
I can really dig this set.

I'm hooked on it as is.  :thumb:
Build In progress. B.face X2-67g R4 Zeals-SA HyperFuse

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 19:31:18 »
I really really like this set, but the profile is up for question.

If this set has a nice ErgoDox child set, I think it should be DSA.
Otherwise, I could really see this in DCS or GMK. I agree this shouldn't be a SA set.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline CampAsAChamp

• Absolutely Nasty
Re: [IC] DSA Freshly Minted (Feedback needed | Child Kits Added)
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 12:01:42 »
Hi all, just wanted to update you guys that I have added some child kits, so if you guys could let me know how they are so far, and what keys should stay/add and which ones should go.

Thanks

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 00:15:20 »
ooh, oldschool with the kits

i like

accent kit should also come in tsangan but aside from that, i dig

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 19:02:47 »
Honestly, I dig those midnight alphas. 

Offline CampAsAChamp

• Absolutely Nasty
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 22:24:47 »
ooh, oldschool with the kits

i like

accent kit should also come in tsangan but aside from that, i dig

My first set was Jukebox back in the day, and I really liked how he set up the kits, because it made it super affordable to those like me who use a 60% (Out the door $70). So hopefully I can do a similar thing, but SP's prices have gotten disgusting in the past few months, and getting a keyset from them under $100 seems like a pipe dream now.

and I'll definitely try and add in the mint Tsangan kit
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 March 2017, 22:26:49 by CampAsAChamp »

Offline waqar

Re: [IC] DSA Freshly Minted (Please take survey)
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 11:52:44 »
Icon modifiers will go well with arrow keys. Also Mac ⌘ and ⌥ keys would be nice.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 15:48:52 »
Are we set on stem type? Part of me is itching for this to run with Alps stems. I feel like the market is in need of a good alps set.

.... just an idea
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline CampAsAChamp

• Absolutely Nasty
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 16:16:27 »
Are we set on stem type? Part of me is itching for this to run with Alps stems. I feel like the market is in need of a good alps set.

.... just an idea
Eh I don't know.
Seeing as how the Light Cycle Alps didn't do amazing I'm very hesitant to do anything other than MX.

I know the kits are different but still I just don't think there is a big market for Alps.

If you can find me ~75 buyers then I'll definitely give it a shot.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 21:33:13 »
I won't touch light cycle because I simply hate sets that are all or nothing. Optional sets are great because you can buy what you need. So you got that going for you  :thumb:

Offline CampAsAChamp

• Absolutely Nasty
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 06 April 2017, 14:49:06 »
Hey guys have a big update for you all, as I have changed some kits due to feedback from the survey, and have also settled on the name, profile, and purchasing place.
  • The name of the set will be DSA Freshly Minted, as that was the most popular response from the survey.
  • The profile will be DSA
  • Will be going through Massdrop or PMK Set of the month for purchasing

I have also contacted Melissa from SP to get a quote for pricing and it seems pretty solid, just might be worried about the non-standard kit.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall very happy with how this set is turning out and can't wait to see what the future holds.

Offline Bob

• Kaleidographer
Re: [IC] DSA Freshly Minted (Kits Updated and Added Pricing)
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 22:21:29 »
Sorry if I'm a bit late to the party, but if you're worried about looking too much like other sets, mignight alphas have this looking a lot like DSA Earfbound: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=75881.0;topicseen

The comment made about the white alphas making this seem similar to DSA Royal Navy seems valid too. Maybe do alphas with dark blue legends on mint coloured caps, and have a spearmint kit that adds some green somewhere? Peppermint=blue, spearmint=green :thumb:
TG3 BL82, Cherry MX clears
Access IS 15x8 matrix layout, Cherry MX blacks

Offline CampAsAChamp

• Absolutely Nasty
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 11 April 2017, 20:28:46 »
Sorry if I'm a bit late to the party, but if you're worried about looking too much like other sets, mignight alphas have this looking a lot like DSA Earfbound: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=75881.0;topicseen

The comment made about the white alphas making this seem similar to DSA Royal Navy seems valid too. Maybe do alphas with dark blue legends on mint coloured caps, and have a spearmint kit that adds some green somewhere? Peppermint=blue, spearmint=green :thumb:

Man picking the colors is a lot harder than I thought. My original idea was to have mint base with dark alphas, but a lot of people said it would look too much like Jukebox, and they were right because I think it might have been the same color chip. So now people want that back so I can't seem to please everybody.

Thanks for the feedback though

Offline Bob

• Kaleidographer
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 00:57:23 »
I guess at a certain point it starts getting hard to make a set that doesn't include a similar keycap or legend colour somewhere - There's only so many combinations you can go with, so just go with what feels right :thumb:
TG3 BL82, Cherry MX clears
Access IS 15x8 matrix layout, Cherry MX blacks

Offline r4wromg

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 01:25:00 »
Really like the colors on this set, plus I've been waiting for another DSA set. Definitely in on this!

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 13 April 2017, 19:56:27 »
Damn, DSA AND no ergodox. This set lost most of its interest to me.   :(

Offline shadowness

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 15 April 2017, 07:05:50 »
please make this happen! looking great!

Offline CampAsAChamp

• Absolutely Nasty
Re: [IC] DSA Freshly Minted (MassDrop Poll Added!!)
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 22:05:19 »
Hey guys, another update, I changed the Non-Standard kit and added a Blank kit and a Space Bar kit.

Also created a MassDrop poll, so please go vote on it

MASSDROP POLL
https://www.massdrop.com/vote/DSA-Freshly-Minted

Offline joelfong

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 22:33:23 »
Looks great! Just voted on massdrop. Excited for it!

Offline heliar_mk

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 22 July 2017, 20:47:24 »
Any Update? Hope the ergo kit could be added. :p

Offline CampAsAChamp

• Absolutely Nasty
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 23 July 2017, 17:29:28 »

Don't know if I am going to run it, as the MassDrop poll wasn't as successful as I thought it would be. There have also been a lot of sets that have came out recently that look similar to this one. So unless the demand for this set is very high I think I am going to sit on it for a bit and see how everything shakes out.

I also don't know how I am going to run it, as I am not equipped to run this myself I don't think.

Offline MigZm

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 16:24:09 »

Don't know if I am going to run it, as the MassDrop poll wasn't as successful as I thought it would be. There have also been a lot of sets that have came out recently that look similar to this one. So unless the demand for this set is very high I think I am going to sit on it for a bit and see how everything shakes out.

I also don't know how I am going to run it, as I am not equipped to run this myself I don't think.

No luck? Just came across and loved it.