Author Topic: Leopold FC660C  (Read 314417 times)

Offline HipsterPunks

• Gangmember
  • * Maker
Re: Leopold FC660C
« Reply #450 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 06:57:30 »
Can anyone relatively qualified on the matter of Topre keycaps speculate whether the FC660C will be shown any love anytime soon? I can replace all my 1x1s with artisan caps given time, but I can't see myself getting into cap making just so I can have a bottom row that matches the rest of my keyboard. Or maybe a separation of alphas and modifiers so I can not feel sad after hypothetically picking up a full HHKB set.

My FC660C is on its way from the mechmarket, and I'm not too concerned with this keycap availability issue. But I am concerned that I will be very concerned in the future.

So many worries ahead : ' [

i plan a shapeways order very soon for some MX sliders for the modifiers when my leo gets here. Definitely opens the door for some very cool options to solve the non standard issues
sell out and eat ass

Offline clacktalk

• CLACKS RULE EVERYTHING AROUND ME
  • circa 2015
« Reply #451 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 10:47:43 »
I got my keyboard in the mail yesterday, and I've been typing away on it nonstop. Some observations:

I received mine used and already dental modded/lubed, and out of the box the L key was stuck. I googled the issue and read that the keys could get stuck if the dental band moved too far up from the plunger, so I opened her up (inanimate objects tend to be feminine to me) and checked/pushed the bands down. Still opened up and unscrewed, I tested every key, and they all registered without any issue. When I screwed the metal plate back to the PCB, the L key got stuck again. Turned out that with the dental band silence mod, the screws were fastened too tight and the plunger ultimately interfered with the capacitive sensor at rest. Once loosened, the problem went away and the two-handed, self-back pats began.

Also, the keycaps are beyond wonderful to the touch! My point of reference is the thick stock PBT caps that come with the Poker II, my (ex?)daily mobile driver. The Leopold keycaps are markedly better. I'm worried that when I go back to my daily desktop driver with ABS caps, I'll shed sad tears. I'm not prepared to cry because of something this trivial.

i plan a shapeways order very soon for some MX sliders for the modifiers when my leo gets here. Definitely opens the door for some very cool options to solve the non standard issues

It's most definitely a solid workaround. I am considering picking up the cheaper white ones that do the job until the hopefully inevitable mass production of them. I can't justify spending over six bones for more than one HQ slider.
diary of a clacktalk

franktalk: how much urine have u spilled
radio_killah: too much frank
radio_killah: too much

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #452 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 21:47:11 »
just to confirm about the space bar mounting (for the fc660m cherry switches)
(The first one is the standard cherry space bar)
They have to change that, that's really annoying...

Show Image

Translate the Asian characters into English please.

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #453 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 17:04:39 »
Got it yesterday. Awesomeness confirmed!!  :thumb:
Keyboardless

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #454 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 10:41:19 »
I can barely tell the difference in weight between the 45g fc660c and the RF 55g.

Wasn't there some reviews talking about how some newer batches of the fc660c have heavier domes that may fall into a 50g range?

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #455 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 11:53:06 »
I can barely tell the difference in weight between the 45g fc660c and the RF 55g.

Wasn't there some reviews talking about how some newer batches of the fc660c have heavier domes that may fall into a 50g range?

Yes, intelli did a very thorough investigation about this!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=57706.0
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline nobee

• Topre! Topre! Topre!
« Reply #456 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 11:57:36 »

I absolutely notice a huge difference. I have one of these newer batches (actually, I have the exact one intelli78 used in his test since he sold it to me) and the 55g still by far feels way more weightier than my ~45-50g ish fc660c.
ReΛlforce 87U (55g)   Leopold FC660C (Silenced/Lubed)   Leopold 210TP MX Red   Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja MX Brown

Offline intelli78

« Reply #457 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 12:30:30 »
My RF55G is definitely heavier than any FC660C, but I maintain that newer FC660Cs are heavier than older ones.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #458 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 15:55:54 »
I've used the rf55g for a big part of today after using the fc660c.

I'm starting to notice how much heavier the rf55g is.

The problem is the rf55g feels a little cheaper compared to the fc660c.

Offline juguerre

« Reply #459 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 11:59:26 »
What the hell! RF 55g cheaper than 660c? Elaborate that please!
^_^
Realforce 105 variable (at work)     Ducky G2Pro ISO TKL Mx-Clear    Realforce 87 55g (home)

Offline Justintoxicated

« Reply #460 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 12:53:26 »
^_^

Dye subbed PBT keycaps?

I just got mine but it was almost $250 shipped after tax.  I'm not sure I like it yet though.  The keys feel a bit stiff compared to the cherry brown board I was using before so It seems like I have to type a lot slower even though I was never a speed daemon typer before. Ill give it a chance though and it does feel a lot smoother than cherry.  It has a good weight but it is no where near as heavy as my blackbird was.

It's going to take alot of getting used to, I'm already hitting the wrong keys lol. Ctrl-FN-F5 to clear page cache just feels awckward.
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 June 2014, 13:12:42 by Justintoxicated »

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #461 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 14:17:26 »
^_^

Fc660c was the first topre board I tried. The rf55g was the second one.

The 55g rattles more on the way down as well as on the way up compared to the 660c.

The 55g has more cup-rubber farts.

I still like the 55g because of the weight. At first, I didn't notice much of a weight difference between both.

55g is the way to go.

Offline Justintoxicated

« Reply #462 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 14:23:41 »
^_^

Fc660c was the first topre board I tried. The rf55g was the second one.

The 55g rattles more on the way down as well as on the way up compared to the 660c.

The 55g has more cup-rubber farts.

I still like the 55g because of the weight. At first, I didn't notice much of a weight difference between both.

55g is the way to go.

First few hours of use here but I'm finding I think the weight of the 660c to be more than I like.  I'm actually thinking I'm glad I didn't get the 55g Realforce now.  I would be on that instead if I didn't have to wait another month for one (mostly because of not having to hit an addition FN key to do common tasks like page refresh).  Too bad leopold isn't making a TK less design board or I would have snagged that instead. I'd prefer to go lighter instead of stiffer though although I can imagine that might create other issues with topre design. Is that just because I'm used to Cherry switches?  One of the things I liked about cherries is how light they were, it made we feel I could really increase my typing speed.  With this board you really need to be sure to hit the keys harder to make them register, but it really is quite pleasing to type on so far though.  I'm thinking my accuracy may go up on this board compared to cherries due to the way it works.  I also really like the sound it makes when you type.  I don't even think I will need to silence it as it is already much quieter than a cherry brown and no one complained about that.

Another positive is that it's probably safer to leave this guy at work as it is not as flashy as my last keyboard.
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 June 2014, 14:32:27 by Justintoxicated »

Offline HipsterPunks

• Gangmember
  • * Maker
« Reply #463 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 14:37:51 »
My RF55G is definitely heavier than any FC660C, but I maintain that newer FC660Cs are heavier than older ones.

Can confirm, just got the new grey fc660c off EK, i thought i was going crazy because it seemed a lot heavier than my HHKB. Glad to know im not the only one experiencing this, crisis adverted.
sell out and eat ass

Offline Justintoxicated

« Reply #464 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 12:51:39 »
It took a whole day but now I'm a topre convert (at least at work).  It think I still like my blackbird for gaming though, at least for the games where you need to spam a key quickly.  Now I'm just wishing this thing was a 87 key, but maybe I will get used to it eventually.  This particular keyboard does so many thing right from traction to textures to portability and layout it is amazing, it is growing on me VERY quickly. 

Anyone else notice that the stabs in the spacebars sound loose and the shift keys do not "thock"?

edit: taking typing tests I can type faster with cherry browns on my blackbird.  The keys on the blackbird also feel noticeably lighter.  I notice my errors on the blackbird are from accidentally registering extra keys while my mistakes on the topre are often from not pressing the keys down hard enough.  I really like the sound from the board though and it feels good, but I think I might be more of a cherry guy.  Still the cherry board is a little noisy at work, so I'd probably stick to the topre for that environment anyways. I'm not convinced it is totally better than cherry boards that are much more reasonably priced, but it is really nice and different. 

For me describing topre, id say it is just basically an expensive, nice sounding, rubber dome keyboard that does not need to be  bottomed out to register the keystroke.  Mechanical cherry switches seem lighter and more consistent throughout the keystroke though, granted sure they feel scratching in comparison due to using a spring instead of a rubber dome I bet, but they can provide your choice of feedback (click, bump, or nothing at all.) 
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 June 2014, 16:07:46 by Justintoxicated »

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #465 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 20:20:17 »
Just modded my fc660c with 55g domes.

I'm liking it but I have to bring it to work to run it through the gauntlet to make a final decision.

The spacebar is real heavy on it. I think it's cause of the spring built into the spacebar.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #466 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 20:27:56 »

I'm liking it but I have to bring it to work to run it through the gauntlet to make a final decision.

The spacebar is real heavy on it. I think it's cause of the spring built into the spacebar.

Bro, get that spring out of there. I remember when I first got my 660C, it was like near impossible to even space words at 100 WPM because it was so stiff, even at 45g. Getting the spacebar off the 660C is quite the pain tho... :P

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #467 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 20:32:25 »

Bro, get that spring out of there. I remember when I first got my 660C, it was like near impossible to even space words at 100 WPM because it was so stiff, even at 45g. Getting the spacebar off the 660C is quite the pain tho... :P

Darn! I shouldn't have put it together so soon.

How hard is it to remove? Is there a tutorial or imgur album that shows you how to remove it?

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #468 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 20:41:08 »

How hard is it to remove? Is there a tutorial or imgur album that shows you how to remove it?

Take off the mod keys on each side first so you have space for your fingers. Then stick your index and middle finger underneath both sides of the spacebar, and lever it off both sides, using your fingers as a sort-of-crowbar. One side at a time might be easier first but be sure to keep both fingers in on both sides while prying off one side. It helps, trust me. Make sure not to pull at the sides of the spacebar because you don't want to accidentally pull off one side too hard and breaking something. LEVER IT. It may hurt your fingers a lil' bit, which is why I recommend using both the index and middle finger. Using one finger will lead to finger-rape.

Offline HipsterPunks

• Gangmember
  • * Maker
« Reply #469 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 20:49:13 »

Take off the mod keys on each side first so you have space for your fingers. Then stick your index and middle finger underneath both sides of the spacebar, and lever it off both sides, using your fingers as a sort-of-crowbar. One side at a time might be easier first but be sure to keep both fingers in on both sides while prying off one side. It helps, trust me. Make sure not to pull at the sides of the spacebar because you don't want to accidentally pull off one side too hard and breaking something. LEVER IT. It may hurt your fingers a lil' bit, which is why I recommend using both the index and middle finger. Using one finger will lead to finger-rape.

DUDE! i had a brick in my pants when i first took off the space bar! I was used to the HHKB and removing that spacebar was a breeze. The leopold has such resistance, i heard that initial snap on the 660c when i first took it off, im honestly terrified to remove it again...
sell out and eat ass

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #470 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 20:55:01 »

DUDE! i had a brick in my pants when i first took off the space bar! I was used to the HHKB and removing that spacebar was a breeze. The leopold has such resistance, i heard that initial snap on the 660c when i first took it off, im honestly terrified to remove it again...

:)) :)) :)) Yeah, mang. The 660C is a constructed like a tank. Thing is so solid. Too bad the spacebar is on there way too tight and well... Just take off the spacebar as I wrote, and it'll be painless and harmless, to you and the keyboard ;) I've done it many times without a single problem. The key part is making sure to take it off the stabilizers one side at a time without lifting it too far. Too far, and you risk damaging the Topre stem and the stabilizer on the other side. This is why I recommend wedging your two fingers and crowbar-ing it off with your fingers (only use your finger strength and not your arm). This way, you have control in how far you lift your fingers. Pulling is riskyyyy and much harder.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 June 2014, 20:56:41 by VesperSAINT »

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #471 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 21:47:24 »
Thanks for the tips guys.

I think I know what to do. I'll be careful.

Offline nobee

• Topre! Topre! Topre!
« Reply #472 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 21:53:12 »

Haha! I felt exactly the same way the first time I had to take off the spacebar! I had such anxiety about it every time I needed to remove it. Now, I'm used to it. You get a feel for the technique after a while.
ReΛlforce 87U (55g)   Leopold FC660C (Silenced/Lubed)   Leopold 210TP MX Red   Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja MX Brown

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #473 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 06:13:32 »
I just took off the space bar.

It wasn't too bad.

You have to pull it pretty hard off of the connection points.

I can't believe there was an extra spring in there.

It feels so much better without the spring.
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 June 2014, 06:25:10 by Latin00032 »

Offline nobee

• Topre! Topre! Topre!
« Reply #474 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 08:47:58 »
I just took off the space bar.

It wasn't too bad.

You have to pull it pretty hard off of the connection points.

I can't believe there was an extra spring in there.

It feels so much better without the spring.

Agreed! That spring had no business being there!

Offline Justintoxicated

« Reply #475 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 13:14:44 »
I might have to try this I did notice myself not always hitting the scpacebar hard enough.  Will a standard keycap puller work fine for the alt keys?

Offline nobee

• Topre! Topre! Topre!
« Reply #476 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 13:30:14 »
I might have to try this I did notice myself not always hitting the scpacebar hard enough.  Will a standard keycap puller work fine for the alt keys?

Yep! It should be fine.

Offline nobee

• Topre! Topre! Topre!
« Reply #477 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 13:40:04 »

Yep! It should be fine.

And by "standard" I'm assuming you mean this and not those horrible plastic ones.

Offline Justintoxicated

« Reply #478 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 15:57:24 »

Yep! It should be fine.

And by "standard" I'm assuming you mean this and not those horrible plastic ones.

Nope I meant the horrible plastic ones.  Will the horrible plastic ones not work?

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #479 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 16:00:58 »

Yep! It should be fine.

Nope I meant the horrible plastic ones.  Will the horrible plastic ones not work?

The plastic ones can damage the key caps.

Offline nobee

• Topre! Topre! Topre!
« Reply #480 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 16:01:28 »

Yep! It should be fine.

Lol horrible plastic ones should work fine. They're just horrible. :P

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #481 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 23:34:13 »
Hello FC660C owners, I am meeting someone tomorrow to check out and most likely buy his FC660c. Any advice on what to check? I will take my laptop with me to check all the keys work properly. He said he has only used it for a month, here is a photo I received.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #482 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 00:53:48 »
Just a note that the keycaps are MX, and the keyboard is Topre - they do not match (if you are buying both).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #483 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 01:13:48 »
Just a note that the keycaps are MX, and the keyboard is Topre - they do not match (if you are buying both).

Thanks, just buying the keyboard though :)

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #484 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 18:42:52 »
Ended up buying it, and so far I am loving it! Takes a while to get used to it, especially with the blank caps, but I am almost there! Loving the topre feel so far..

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #485 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 19:01:54 »
Ended up buying it, and so far I am loving it! Takes a while to get used to it, especially with the blank caps, but I am almost there! Loving the topre feel so far..

One of us ... one of us ... at least in the Thorpe sense ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Justintoxicated

« Reply #486 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 12:35:42 »
Anyone know how to get Crtl-Shift-Esc to work?  If it can not be done from this keyboard I am going to have to get rid of it.  It does not seem to work with this keyboard on any windows machine, so I have to plug in another keyboard just to do this one command.  It's supper annoying.

So I checked this site.

http://www.keyboardtester.com/

If I hit esc, esc registers, but it I hit ctrl-shift-escape it registers as the ~ key.  Actually just hitting shift-esc it will register the ~ key....  This is a  huge problem for anyone who wants to launch task manager.
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 June 2014, 12:53:34 by Justintoxicated »

Offline nobee

• Topre! Topre! Topre!
« Reply #487 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 12:41:38 »
Anyone know how to get Crtl-Shift-Esc to work?  If it can not be done from this keyboard I am going to have to get rid of it.  It does not seem to work with this keyboard on any windows machine, so I have to plug in another keyboard just to do this one command.  It's supper annoying.

Did you make sure it was enabled? FN + Q toggles between ` and ESC.

Offline Justintoxicated

« Reply #488 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 12:49:05 »

Yea All the keys work individually just not together.  Does it work for you?  I might have to return this thing if it works for other people...

Offline nobee

• Topre! Topre! Topre!
« Reply #489 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 12:56:45 »

Yea All the keys work individually just not together.  Does it work for you?  I might have to return this thing if it works for other people...

Huh... you're right. It actually doesn't work. I never noticed that because I don't use CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to bring up the task manager. I usually just do WIN key then type 'taskm' or CTRL+ALT+DEL. Granted, it's not as fast as CTRL+SHIFT+ESC, but I'm pretty used to pulling it up quickly without using the CTRL+SHIFT+ESC combo.

Offline Justintoxicated

« Reply #490 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 13:09:05 »

Huh... you're right. It actually doesn't work. I never noticed that because I don't use CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to bring up the task manager. I usually just do WIN key then type 'taskm' or CTRL+ALT+DEL. Granted, it's not as fast as CTRL+SHIFT+ESC, but I'm pretty used to pulling it up quickly without using the CTRL+SHIFT+ESC combo.

Yea that's not going to fly for me as I use this shortcut constantly to kill runaway processes or when my IDE or server crashes.  I mean if they keyboard is going to make my life harder to have nice keys to type on then it is no good to me.  Besides Crtl-Alt-Del does not work since I have to work through a VM, it will lauch the options menu for the physical machine and not the VM.  To Launch the options screen for the VM I would ned to press "Ctrl-Alt-Fn-," and that is getting ridiculous. For now I just have a second keyboard plugged in to launch the task manager.

Offline nobee

• Topre! Topre! Topre!
« Reply #491 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 13:25:51 »

Yea that's not going to fly for me as I use this shortcut constantly to kill runaway processes or when my IDE or server crashes.  I mean if they keyboard is going to make my life harder to have nice keys to type on then it is no good to me.  Besides Crtl-Alt-Del does not work since I have to work through a VM, it will lauch the options menu for the physical machine and not the VM.  To Launch the options screen for the VM I would ned to press "Ctrl-Alt-Fn-," and that is getting ridiculous. For now I just have a second keyboard plugged in to launch the task manager.

It's weird that it doesn't work. This is the first time I've heard of this issue with the FC660C.

Offline Justintoxicated

« Reply #492 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 13:35:03 »

It's weird that it doesn't work. This is the first time I've heard of this issue with the FC660C.

I sent a support email to elitekeyboards.  It was driving me crazy at home since I'm putting together a windows server essentials 2012 box.  I thought maybe they had removed that feature until I got into work and had the same problem.

Offline nobee

• Topre! Topre! Topre!
« Reply #493 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 14:22:06 »

I sent a support email to elitekeyboards.  It was driving me crazy at home since I'm putting together a windows server essentials 2012 box.  I thought maybe they had removed that feature until I got into work and had the same problem.

Let us know how that goes! I'm curious if this is a known issue with this keyboard or not.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #494 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 15:22:37 »
Friend had the same issue. I did too, but I started just using task manager too :(

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #495 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 15:32:10 »
I have never used the Ctrl+Shift+Esc command before, and I mostly use Mac OS X and Linux. Out of curiosity to see if this works on my IBM XT keyboard with a Hagstrom converter and remapped to a HHKB Pro2/Mac configuration, I tried it on a Windows machine and it worked!

If a 30-year-old keyboard can do it, I should think a new Leo ought to do it! If not, this looks like a real flaw. Interesting discovery.

PS: My Leo FC660C is out on loan, so I could not test this, but it appears that the defect has already been independently verified by others.

Offline Justintoxicated

« Reply #496 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 17:27:27 »
It's a real bummer, I wonder if I will be able to return the keyboard for something else, returning for the same model isn't really going to gain me anything, and it's not like this defect was disclosed on the site... but I use that shortcut many times a day and it's been driving me nuts.  I really liked the keyboard otherwise though, it's growing on me quickly, which I noticed more when going back to my cherry board after using the FC660C all day, but at least the shortcut works on the cherry board...For $250 It would be nice if I could access task manager like all of my other keyboards can do.

Maybe a realforce 45g is in my near future then.  I wonder if the Leo is closer to the 45g or the 55g weighted board.

Offline HipsterPunks

• Gangmember
  • * Maker
« Reply #497 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 17:45:18 »
It's a real bummer, I wonder if I will be able to return the keyboard for something else, returning for the same model isn't really going to gain me anything, and it's not like this defect was disclosed on the site... but I use that shortcut many times a day and it's been driving me nuts.  I really liked the keyboard otherwise though, it's growing on me quickly, which I noticed more when going back to my cherry board after using the FC660C all day, but at least the shortcut works on the cherry board...For $250 It would be nice if I could access task manager like all of my other keyboards can do.

Maybe a realforce 45g is in my near future then.  I wonder if the Leo is closer to the 45g or the 55g weighted board.

Im sure you would have no issues trading the fc660c for a realforce on GH, werent the EK editions selling for $200?
sell out and eat ass

Offline Justintoxicated

« Reply #498 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 19:14:24 »
for now I found I can hit Crtl-Alt and then FN and then "," key, hit the down arrow 4 times and launch task manager.  This is bFcause I am working in a remote desktop so the proper keys are Ctyl-Alt-End instead of Crtl-Alt-Del, however due to the key configuration you cannot press FN before the control key.

It would be nice if the shortcut just worked, it's killing me, otherwise I really like the board, so I'm hoping a realforce would be similar but I am a bit skeptical, based on reviews I am not sure if it would have the same quality feel but I wouldn't mind getting those F keys back though... 

I really do hate hate pressing Ctrl-Alt + FN-',' then down,down,down,enter! to do what I should be able to achieve in less than a second.

Edit:
I found a work around, although it is not great to have to do this on every windows computer I want to use my "portable keyboard" on.

Open task manager, and find the taskmgr.exe under processes, right click and go to open file location, then right click on the executable and create a shortcut, you will probably get a message that asks if you want to  place the shortcut on the desktop instead.

You can place the shortcut on the desktop or anywhere else your allowed to create one.  Then right click on the shortcut and go to properties, under the shortcut key property create your shortcut.  I used Ctrl-Shift-` (or basically Crtl-Shift-ESC).  Now when I press the keys the keyboard works as usual.  It's too bad this isn't a fully windows compatible keyboard though. I don't think I can recommend it to my colleagues because of this issue.   If I did they would all think I am out of my head for having a dysfunctional board...
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 June 2014, 19:23:37 by Justintoxicated »

Offline intelli78

« Reply #499 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 20:43:14 »
How about using autohotkey to create a macro?
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.