Author Topic: GMK-electronic make cherry keycap ?  (Read 149332 times)

Offline rayuki

• RAAAAAAR
Re: GMK-electronic make cherry keycap ?
« Reply #550 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 19:22:34 »
One thing I will say right now is that it's evident that there are other retailers interested in coordinating with GMK.  Please, please if you are doing this reach out to either lysol or myself.  It will help in the grand scale of things and allow us (as a community) to develop better and broader products through good relations with our manufacturers.

We don't want to step on eachothers feet and end up making the same thing.  We're not here to expose your sales model, but we do want to understand the MOQ and pricing better so that it isn't hidden to everyone.  This works well with SP today, and I imagine it could work the same way with GMK.

this is pretty much exactly what i was thinking dan, all very well and good to keep both separate but also no need to be competing with each other if there is no communication and somehow we both end up making the same product requests.

at least if we know whats in the works with the other retailers working with GMK we can go and make something different.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #551 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 19:37:08 »
Yeah they have all the common keys we will need like 1.25 bottom row and fulltouch 1.75 caps lock as well as 1.5 mods and stepped caps of course. No need to use SP for any supplements to Cherry sets anymore. Modifiers pack is one of things being considered for first groupbuy.

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #552 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 19:38:47 »
Plus Cherry has a couple special space bars

Offline guilleguillaume

« Reply #553 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 20:02:20 »
Yeah they have all the common keys we will need like 1.25 bottom row and fulltouch 1.75 caps lock as well as 1.5 mods and stepped caps of course. No need to use SP for any supplements to Cherry sets anymore. Modifiers pack is one of things being considered for first groupbuy.

Did Cherry ever produce a 1.75 Control key to fit on standard Caps Lock placement?

Just curious about it.

Offline metafour

« Reply #554 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 20:04:45 »

Did Cherry ever produce a 1.75 Control key to fit on standard Caps Lock placement?

Just curious about it.

If GMK can make this for us I will be so stoked. Full touch, center-stemmed, Cherry profile goodness.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #555 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 20:49:22 »
It'd be cool to get 1 unit bottom row mods too:) I could use some black 1.5 mods for my Phantom and some nice 1 unit ones if we can get them double shot:)

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #556 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 21:13:36 »
One thing I will say right now is that it's evident that there are other retailers interested in coordinating with GMK.  Please, please if you are doing this reach out to either lysol or myself.  It will help in the grand scale of things and allow us (as a community) to develop better and broader products through good relations with our manufacturers.

We don't want to step on eachothers feet and end up making the same thing.  We're not here to expose your sales model, but we do want to understand the MOQ and pricing better so that it isn't hidden to everyone.  This works well with SP today, and I imagine it could work the same way with GMK.

this is pretty much exactly what i was thinking dan, all very well and good to keep both separate but also no need to be competing with each other if there is no communication and somehow we both end up making the same product requests.

at least if we know whats in the works with the other retailers working with GMK we can go and make something different.

There's a limit to this...If any vendor knows that if they make it nobody else will, that gives them incentive to monopolize. Let's not take this non-competition to the extreme.

Cheers,
IBM Model M 1390120, Otaku Unicomp+RGB, CM QFR Green, Ducky YOTD Red, SSK MKII,
ErgoDox Blue, ErgoDox White

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #557 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 22:25:59 »
There's a limit to this...If any vendor knows that if they make it nobody else will, that gives them incentive to monopolize. Let's not take this non-competition to the extreme.

Cheers,

We will know roughly what their costs are I guess. (Assuming GMK doesn't charge us more for being a bit more high maintenance to work with. :)  So, I think if a retailer got tooooo crazy, we'd know and things would sort themselves.  That said, I'd rather have more sets unfairly priced than fewer sets cheaply priced.  But, that's just me... I'm sure some people only want one good set maybe.  (I just haven't met them yet.)

Also, unless someone talked to Brian at EK, he just said he has more cherry caps coming... not specifically full sets.  He could be referring to more novelty keys, RGB sets, etc.  But, I wouldn't be surprised if he did some common combos either.  This will be interesting either way. 

Let's all hope there isn't a huge MOQ, else we aren't going to see too much stuff from them regardless.  Best case, they come around to how SP has recently.

Offline fl0w3n

« Reply #558 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 23:09:56 »
Personally I would love to see a Coffee & Cream set that involved modifiers in that nice deep chocolate brown color.
That was what I was talking about before exactly hashbaz.

God I'm glad to hear this is the page you guys are on. 

I just received some sweet light brown and coffee test keys today, and goodness I love the color.  Can't wait for a whole set. 

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #559 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 23:22:56 »
I'd be all for some coffee and cream keys. :)

Offline agor

« Reply #560 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 00:59:27 »
Since there was a whole effort to replicate the Cherry Font for SP to create a Dolch set... wouldn't this be the kind of "Number 1" Group Buy? Makes sense to me at least
KBD8X II - MX 5000 - Realforce 88UB - Phantom - GH60

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #561 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 01:10:36 »
I am exercising my right as the forum's one and only hashbaz to veto the Miami set.

Let's do something that's not fugly.

How dare you

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
GMK-electronic make cherry keycap ?
« Reply #562 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 01:12:29 »
I am exercising my right as the forum's one and only hashbaz to veto the Miami set.

Let's do something that's not fugly.

How dare you
Miami 2013!

Offline BimboBB

« Reply #563 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 02:31:50 »

Also, unless someone talked to Brian at EK, he just said he has more cherry caps coming... not specifically full sets.  He could be referring to more novelty keys, RGB sets, etc.  But, I wouldn't be surprised if he did some common combos either. This will be interesting either way. 

This is why i am really unhappy with that retailers stepping in. They take out any flexibility of a groubbuy to get other layout than ANSI, as they most probably just stock this ones because its getting sold easiest.

Offline pitashen

« Reply #564 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 02:38:47 »
YES! moogle kit replacement!
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #565 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 03:45:35 »

Also, unless someone talked to Brian at EK, he just said he has more cherry caps coming... not specifically full sets.  He could be referring to more novelty keys, RGB sets, etc.  But, I wouldn't be surprised if he did some common combos either. This will be interesting either way. 

This is why i am really unhappy with that retailers stepping in. They take out any flexibility of a groubbuy to get other layout than ANSI, as they most probably just stock this ones because its getting sold easiest.

We'd all have to refuse to buy from then and coordinate group buys which I'd be all in for. But I don't thick the average geekhacker has any patience or would really care.
Check out my sales thread.

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
KBC w/Reds and Cherry doubleshots in imsto\'s case
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g
KMAC Titanium/Winkeyless (in the mail)

Offline leesofi

• super lurking
« Reply #566 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 04:58:34 »
in kbdmania, drugER contacted to GMK and will make GB. drugER will order 100 over full-set.
i hope each geekhack and kbdmania gb goods are different.
Also he said GMk need not huge MOQ. nothing about detail price.

Bro Caps AI:MKII prototype Alu BroBot V2 MX
Clack Factory ICE Test-Sample #J11TG-s5A

Offline fruktstund

• !
« Reply #567 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 05:05:20 »
in kbdmania, drugER contacted to GMK and will make GB. drugER will order 100 over full-set.
Sounds like the MOQ isn't that high then. Nice!

By the way, I don't know how it usually works with groupbuys at KBDmania, but would it be possible for us westerners to join the group buy too? If drugER for example has planned an RBG set, then it wouldn't make sense for the people here at GH to also do it, I think.

Offline Batmann

« Reply #568 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 05:32:51 »
These are very good news
Still for all EU folks here, we have to figure something out so the keys won't have to fly overseas and then back in EU
And also the taxes issue
I received a 250$ order from NewYork and had to pay 100$ more in taxes, something we probably want to avoid..!

Offline fruktstund

• !
« Reply #569 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 05:53:53 »
These are very good news
Still for all EU folks here, we have to figure something out so the keys won't have to fly overseas and then back in EU
And also the taxes issue
I received a 250$ order from NewYork and had to pay 100$ more in taxes, something we probably want to avoid..!
Yeah, of course. The best thing would probably be to have a trustworthy German member (or someone else in the EU) receive the keycaps first and distribute the keycaps in Europe, as well as send the keycaps ordered by Americans to the US and have a nice guy such as lysol or Dan distribute them there. Something like that?
Alternatively we could ask GMK to split the order themselves, but that would probably be a bad idea.

I'd also rather not pay taxes. I think we have the highest regular (regular as in "about everything that's not food or books") VAT here in Sweden (25% compared to 20% in the UK for example), and I'm probably not alone in not wanting to have to pay this when it could be avoided. ;)

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #570 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 06:19:33 »
As fruktund mentioned, some countries are better suited. Germany also happens to have some of the cheapest international shipping rates in EU, so someone from Germany would be perfect.

Offline nntnam

« Reply #571 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 08:23:46 »
As fruktund mentioned, some countries are better suited. Germany also happens to have some of the cheapest international shipping rates in EU, so someone from Germany would be perfect.

I can confirm that. The Germany shipping service is amazing. Cheap and extremely fast. I bought a keyboard from Germany and it only took 3 days to arrive in Japan. (using the cheapest option)
░▒▓ KMAC | FILCO MJ2 | HHKB | PHANTOM ▓▒░

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #572 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 09:27:20 »
Yes something smart will be worked out with the logistics, no need to worry about that.
Sure Cherry made 1.75 C-profile Control to replace caps lock, and 1.5/1.25 B-profile Caps lock. If there is enough demand for these will include in modifier pack.

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #573 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 09:52:18 »

We'll just have to wait and see. I really want us all to avoid "race" conditions where one community QQs about getting an idea first and yet someone else does it. Not what the global keyboard community should be about imo. To achieve what you want leesofi will require a lot of communication. GL to you.

Cheers,

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
    • Alessandro's Sweet Shop
« Reply #574 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 09:57:40 »
I'll be happy to distribute in the Uk depending on the arrangements made.
KBC Poker | MX Reds | Beige Doubleshots
Goldtouch 10Key Pad | MX Browns | Beige Doubleshots
IBM Model M-122 Terminal (Bolt modded) | Buckling Springs | Beige Dyesubs

Alessandro's Sweet Shop- "I never said they were art."

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #575 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 10:15:43 »
I contact to drugER to see what they are going to be doing. Hopefully we can all work together for our common goals. I'm tired of all this regional fracture.

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
Re: Re: GMK-electronic make cherry keycap ?
« Reply #576 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 10:20:08 »
I'm tired of all this regional fracture.

Me too.
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #577 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 10:37:08 »
I contact to drugER to see what they are going to be doing. Hopefully we can all work together for our common goals. I'm tired of all this regional fracture.

Thanks for being proactive on this lysol. I third your statement.

Cheers,

Offline theultrazord

« Reply #578 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 11:07:47 »

Cheers,

This is why Lysol is one of my favorite GHers. Always on top of things and always mature. Lets get the worldwide community on this!

Offline leesofi

• super lurking
« Reply #579 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 11:49:30 »
peace~!

Bro Caps AI:MKII prototype Alu BroBot V2 MX
Clack Factory ICE Test-Sample #J11TG-s5A

Offline kbdfr

« Reply #580 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 12:10:51 »

Cheers,

This is why Lysol is one of my favorite GHers. Always on top of things and always mature. Lets get the worldwide community on this!

I'd like to chime in ^-^
I very much appreciate that lysol also actively informs and includes Deskthority in this endeavour, and that he is aware of the issues involved for non-US layouts. That's real community spirit.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #581 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 12:21:36 »
:) it's a big world out there beyond America.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #582 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 13:09:11 »
Good guy lysol uniting the clans under his noble Cherry banner! ;)

As always, I hope we can work with the Koreans to make awesome things cheaper for all.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
GMK-electronic make cherry keycap ?
« Reply #583 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 13:15:47 »
I'm looking forward to some Cherry sets being stocked by retailers for ease of access and low pricing :D

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #584 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 13:18:12 »
Ease of access sure, low price... well that remains to be seen. Sure retail may be able to buy more sets at a time for a lower cost, but then they have thier mark up. So maybe it could be similar to our groupbuy price, but I suspect it is likely to be more depending on the retailer and how much profit they need to make on them.

Not that I am complain, just a fact of the matter.

Offline Glissant

« Reply #585 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 13:20:30 »
I am really glad this is being made available. More "Cherry" double shots to the people :D .

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
« Reply #586 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 13:20:52 »
AFter missing out on the recent find I'm now desperate for cryllic stuff!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #587 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 13:23:24 »
I am really glad this is being made available. More "Cherry" double shots to the people :D .

More Glissant to the people! Where you been, bro? J/K. But really, we've missed you on here.

AFter missing out on the recent find I'm now desperate for cryllic stuff!

You also missed lysol's Cherry replica dyesub GB?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #588 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 13:25:56 »
:) it's a big world out there beyond America.

The world consists of any country other than America?

mind=blown.

Cheers,

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
« Reply #589 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 13:29:38 »
Yes, I did. I would love original cherry thickness though. :)

Offline Glissant

« Reply #590 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 13:34:55 »
jdcarpe, still around mostly lurking when I have time =). I miss being here too, but time just isn't cutting it with deaths in the family and work xD. Thanks for caring :). Send me a message if you feel like telling me how things are with you, J.D.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
Re: Re: GMK-electronic make cherry keycap ?
« Reply #591 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 14:47:45 »
jdcarpe, still around mostly lurking when I have time =). I miss being here too, but time just isn't cutting it with deaths in the family and work xD. Thanks for caring :). Send me a message if you feel like telling me how things are with you, J.D.
Glad to see you're still kicking, sir! Hope ya can come back soon!

Offline shawn o

« Reply #592 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 14:57:25 »
Curious why SP was used for moogle kits to begin with rather than this company? Did no one bother to ask Cherry who made their keycaps?

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #593 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 15:00:18 »
It is quite exciting that we might be able to get all of the Cherry variants without paying stupid money!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #594 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 15:03:25 »
Ease of access sure, low price... well that remains to be seen. Sure retail may be able to buy more sets at a time for a lower cost, but then they have thier mark up. So maybe it could be similar to our groupbuy price, but I suspect it is likely to be more depending on the retailer and how much profit they need to make on them.

Not that I am complain, just a fact of the matter.

I wonder if price will be higher initially, until the novelty wears off and everyone realises that new Cherry sets are here to stay.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #595 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 16:10:53 »
In an ideal world they would be retail for the cost of lasered oem profile crap as replacement set, and come on keyboards as stock. Back to the 80's.
Why was GMK not used before? No one knew, or if they did made no effort to let us know. I know I contacted Cherry many times asking about various things and before this last time I only ever got terse answer that they were discontinued and nothing more. I guess I just got lucky with more helpful employee happened to answer my email.

Offline BimboBB

« Reply #596 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 16:20:16 »
According their homepage they just started with that doubleshot productions last summer.

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #597 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 18:13:20 »
It is quite exciting that we might be able to get all of the Cherry variants without paying stupid money!

I'm willing to bet that with taxes, shipping, etc. full sets (with nothing extra) will still be in the $80-$100 range. Granted that's cheaper than some sets sell for but significantly more than I have ever paid for a doubleshot set.

And if the MOQ is too high, there will still be lots of vintage caps that won't be in high enough demand to get to 100, 200, 500 or w/e MOQ they have established.
Check out my sales thread.

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
KBC w/Reds and Cherry doubleshots in imsto\'s case
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g
KMAC Titanium/Winkeyless (in the mail)

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #598 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 19:15:51 »
Just a little teaser...
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 December 2012, 19:36:55 by hashbaz »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #599 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 19:25:45 »
CV all teh way!!!!!1!!1one!!1
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ