Author Topic: Introducing the GH36 Programmable Matrix Keypad  (Read 204614 times)

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
Introducing the GH36 Programmable Matrix Keypad
« on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 10:31:59 »
Like me, some of you may have some sort of RSI that impacts your use of a keyboard.  For me, it is in the thumbs and makes it really hard to play keybaord-and-mouse games on my PC.  So I have been working on a dedicated gamepad for my left hand with a WASD cluster in the middle and key alphas and mods around it.

My first version used a Cherry G80-3700 programmable keypad with some custom keycaps from Weyman at WASD Keyboards.  (Thanks Weyman!)  My second version (v.2) is planned to be a GHpad with a column added on each side to form a 5x6 matrix.  To make that work, I have been designing 1x6 "finger" PCBs that would be attached to the GHpad PCB via ribbon cables.

But the supply of GHpad PCBs is uncertain, so I began working on a dedicated PCB with the following features:

Fully programmable
Compatible with Metalliqaz' Easy AVR USB Firmware and Keymapper
6x6 matrix for 36 addressable keys
Cut lines for 6x5, 4x5, and 4x6 for factors
Horizontal and vertical 2.00 switch positions with stabilizer mounts
Electrical control and pinouts to expand to a 6x12 matrix
Reversible design to enable TWO 6x6 pads to be connected to form a butterfly keyboard
Low cost at low volume with short lead-time

The result is the GH36 Programmable Matrix Keypad:

More

GH36 Matrix Keypad by samwisekoi 2014

73143-1
GH36 PCB by samwisekoi 2014

Here are the two main layout options silkscreened on the PCB:

GH36 Gamepad by samwisekoi

GH36 Number Pad by samwisekoi

Of course, end users can place 1x and 2x keys in any of the supported positions, as well as cut the PCB to reduce the form factor.

In addition, a second PCB can be reversed and placed to the left of a GH36 to form a low-cost split keyboard:

More

73149-4
GH36x2 Split Keyboard by samwisekoi 2014

Please consider the keycap placement as an example only.  Alternative layouts and layered designs are not my thing, but there are many experts in those areas here at GeekHack.

Using Metalliqaz' Easy AVR USB Firmware and Keymapper tool will enable end users to create their own maps and layouts.  And to keep cost and lead-time down at low volume, this PCB will not use SMD components.  So diodes, resistors, switches, LEDs and a Teensy will be needed along with the $20+/- PCB.  Add some keycaps and mount it on one or two of Swill's minimal cases, and you've got the lowest cost keypad or butterfly keyboard in town!

Big thanks to Metalliqaz and everyone at GeekHack who has helped me on this project so far.  I am planning a prototype run of 20 PCBs when the design is complete.  Let me know if you would like one or two!

PROTO PCB RECIPIENTS
 - samwisekoi
 - regack
 - metalliqaz
 - jdcarpe (2x)
 - domoaligato (2x)
 - SpAmRaY (2x)
 - HoffmanMyster
 - dorkvader
 - mkawa

- Ron | samwisekoi
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 August 2014, 13:35:20 by samwisekoi »
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline SL89

Re: Introducing the GH36 Programmable Matrix Keypad
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 10:35:56 »
this is really awesome, if i had something like this id be more apt to use TKL and smaller boards. I love the 'extra' keys besides just a numpad. I know its not the intended use, but it will cut down on moving my hands around at work so much as i can map the keys i need to where i need them and it will make things much more comfortable.

this looks like a great design!

Offline regack

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 10:51:05 »
Very nice, does it use the USB on the teensy, so it exits to the right (or left if flipped) of the PCB? 

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 10:51:42 »
 :thumb: I've been interested in this since your first post on the LH gamepad!
It's great that you're taking this into your own hands and making a custom PCB
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 11:09:16 »
I would be interested in one. It's always cool to try novel things like this out. Would be nice to have a dedicated gaming pad too, since I use such a strange layout on my main keyboard.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 11:29:19 »
I would be interested in one. It's always cool to try novel things like this out. Would be nice to have a dedicated gaming pad too, since I use such a strange layout on my main keyboard.

Agreed, and I couldn't find one with proper switches and an inverted-T layout.

this is really awesome, if i had something like this id be more apt to use TKL and smaller boards. I love the 'extra' keys besides just a numpad. I know its not the intended use, but it will cut down on moving my hands around at work so much as i can map the keys i need to where i need them and it will make things much more comfortable.

this looks like a great design!

Thanks and the purpose was any use, so go for it!

:thumb: I've been interested in this since your first post on the LH gamepad!
It's great that you're taking this into your own hands and making a custom PCB

Thanks.

Very nice, does it use the USB on the teensy, so it exits to the right (or left if flipped) of the PCB? 

Teesny USB; it exits on the right under row 2 (because some people might slice row 1 off!)

Thanks for the quick feedback, y'all!

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 12:14:51 »
Interested.

Offline joneslee85

• HHKB Scrub JP
  • Professional Rubyist programmer!
    • Ruby Journal
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 12:40:20 »
I'm interested. Please count me in for the first batch
TOO MANY KEYBOARDS THAT I COULD NOT COUNT! BUT I AM STILL USING MY MODEL F77

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 14:26:44 »
Well, as I have to have (at least) one of everything, you know I'm in for this. Great work on this project, Ron!
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline hoggy

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 01:07:05 »
Wow! Please count me in.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 02:40:06 »
Looks interesting. Good idea!  :thumb:

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 20:21:37 »
Quick update on the PCB design.

This version:

More
73468-0
GH36 Matrix PCB by samwisekoi

Is electrically complete.  This is an early-adopter prototype, which mostly means it doesn't have full LED support, a nice connector for 36x2 use, or a physical form factor that matches GH60 or Phantom PCBs (yet.)

It does have:

- Fully programmable 6x6 matrix with PCB switch and stabilizer support.
- LED support for NUM LOCK and WASD cluster.
- Pads and traces for LEDs and resistors for all other switch positions.
- Expansion pads for 6 rows and 12 columns.
- Pads for +5 and Ground on both sides of the PCB.
- Exposed pads for LED1 and LED2.
- Additional cut lines for 4x3, 4x4, 4x6, 6x5, and 6x6 layouts.

I will add some mounting holes and possibly trim the PCB down from 5" x 5" to better match existing keyboard PCBs.  Then I will get 20 made.

FYI to all,

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 20:26:14 »
That design is so clever. I like how there's cut lines so you can scale the keypad how you want it :D.

Offline feizor

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 22:11:53 »
I am also interested, depending on the final cost.

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 00:12:58 »
Me2.
But do I need to built it from a pcb? I only know how to solder/desolder switch with ugly solder joint :-X
How to decide where to put a 2x key or 1x key? Could I remap all keys on the pad from a software after?
Thanks  :)

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 00:20:02 »
Me2.
But do I need to built it from a pcb? I only know how to solder/desolder switch with ugly solder joint :-X
How to decide where to put a 2x key or 1x key? Could I remap all keys on the pad from a software after?
Thanks  :)

From the looks of the PCB, you can put 2 1x keys wherever you could put a 2x key, however not vice versa. There are a few areas where there are switch holes snuggled right in between 2 other switches and that is where you can put a 2x switch or 2 1x switches.
Samwisekoi also stated that Metalliqaz' Easy AVR USB Firmware and Keymapper tool will be what is used to remap the keys to your liking, which I assume would also allow for macros.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 09:08:55 »
interested in 2 if not too expensive. hoping to make my own matrix ergodox
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 12:45:28 »
Interested, as well.  Could definitely use a decent gamepad to try and ease my RSI during gaming sessions.

| HHKB Pro 2 | Leopold FC660C
| Poker.PANDAclears | ErgoDox (62g Black)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 12:54:41 »
interested in 2 if not too expensive. hoping to make my own matrix ergodox

I'm thinking two of these with the right case would make a very interesting portable solution.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 13:00:51 »
is the gh75 dead?

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 13:32:58 »
Updates and milestone #1.

Updates:

I am going to do at least two runs of this PCB.  The first version will be a PROTOTYPE and will be electrically complete and correct as far as I know.  It is ready to go now.  The form factor is 5" x 5", with M3/6-32 mounting holes at four corners and in the center of the PCB.

The second version will be a BETA or PROD version, and will add the following:
 - Fixes and improvements from the prototype round.
 - Connector for dual PCB use (GH36x2).
 - Improved LED control; hopefully complete LED backlighting.
 - Reduced form factor and mounting hols for better compatibility next to GH60, 70%, Phantom and other keyboards.

Experienced keyboard builders and firmware developers are eligible to receive free PROTO boards.  Unless more are needed, I will only have 10 made.  Other interested people should wait until the BETA or PROD versions are released.

Milestone #1PROTO PCB.

Images attached show the front and back traces, the front silkscreen, which shows the Gamepad layout, and the back silkscreen, which shows all of the component placements as well as the numpad layout.

All 41 switch positions are functional (6x6=36 plus 5 alternate 2x positions.)  The PCB is designed to be used without a plate, although plates could certainly be made to fit. The board is 100% through-hole.  I suggest socketing the Teensy for this version to avoid trapping the two switches above it.

IMAGES
More
73776-0

73778-1

73780-2

MECHANICAL
More
PCB dimensions are 5.00" tall and 5.00" wide.

Using the bottom left corner as the origin (0,0), 0.125" mounting holes are at (0.125,0.125), (4.875,0.125), (0.125,4.875), (4.875,4.875), and (2.500,2.500).

The keyboard matrix of 36 0.75" areas starts at (0.250,0.250) -- or 1/4" in from every edge.  So the 4.500" matrix has 0.250" of free space surrounding it.  Almost all of the "free" space at the edges carries traces or ground plane, so should not be used for additional holes without great care.

The pair of VCC/GND pads and the LED1/LED2 pads are on 0.100" centers, as are all three 1x6 row and column expansion pads.  Please note that this is spacing for normal through-hole pads, not for ribbon cables, although ribbon cables can be expanded to fit.

PINOUTS
More
VCC   VCC
F0   COL_1
F1   COL_2
F4   COL_3
F5   COL_4
F6   COL_5
F7   COL_6
B6   LED1 (PWM)
B5   LED2 (PWM)
B4   NUMLOCK LED
D7   WASD LED (PWM)
D6   COL_12

GND   GND
B0   COL_7
B1   COL_8
B2   COL_9
B3   COL_10
B7   COL_11
D0   ROW_1
D1   ROW_2
D2   ROW_3
D3   ROW_4
C6   ROW_5
C7   ROW_6

If you are qualified and interested in a PROTO PCB, please reply below or send me a PM.  I will create and update a list here:

PROTO PCB RECIPIENTS

Moved to OP.

Thanks to everyone who helped or expressed interest!

- Ron | samwisekoi

p.s. The GH75 isn't dead.  I ran aground trying to make it LED backlit AND multi-size AND able to use both top and side F-keys (110%).  After I get through the GH36, I may open the GH75 back up.  I'd like to make one and populate it with Nuclear Data Green SA keycaps.
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 August 2014, 12:31:32 by samwisekoi »

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 13:56:37 »
I lack the skills to be a tester at this stage. Will wait for beta.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 14:42:09 »
thanks sam! btw can this be flipped? meaning that if I had 2 they could be setup ergo dox style? I woukd not care if they connected with separate cables or a cable between them. but it woukd be a really cool design.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 15:19:40 »
I lack the skills to be a tester at this stage. Will wait for beta.

Good call.

thanks sam! btw can this be flipped? meaning that if I had 2 they could be setup ergo dox style? I woukd not care if they connected with separate cables or a cable between them. but it woukd be a really cool design.

Yes.  Sorry if that wasn't explicitly stated.

The PROTO boards have all of the features listed in my previous post.  Including flipping one for a 36x2 layout.

To use, connect expansion pads R1-6 to the same pads on the second board. Then connect expansion pads C1-6 on the SECOND board to the pads for columns 7-12 on the first board. C1 to C7, C2 to C8, etc.  After that it is software!

I think that the black ribbon-style wires used on the latest modular power supplies would work really well for this purpose.  I will find a source and post it.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 15:35:00 »
If there are enough, I would be interested in getting two of these (I'll gladly pay for my two) and attempting to get them to work together. I'm sure I can handle the hardware aspect especially since its through-hole, not sure on the software side of things. I've got diodes, LED's, resistors and a spare teensy along with other miscellaneous parts.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 15:48:40 »
If there are enough, I would be interested in getting two of these (I'll gladly pay for my two) and attempting to get them to work together. I'm sure I can handle the hardware aspect especially since its through-hole, not sure on the software side of things. I've got diodes, LED's, resistors and a spare teensy along with other miscellaneous parts.

I would also get 2 pcbs and I have everything except the resistors. I have modded tmk enough that I could probably get this going also. I would also throw in some cash to help with the pcb prototyping.

edit : fml tapatalk.
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 August 2014, 15:54:37 by domoaligato »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 17:59:16 »
I'd take two as well, and am also willing to chip in with prototyping costs.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 19:26:07 »
Two for you, and two for you, and another two for you!

Can I get at least one person to do a LH/RH version (sort of a split 60%) and at least one person to do a RH/LH version (similar to an Ergodox)?

Thanks,

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 20:01:47 »
I was wanting to do split 60%

Offline feizor

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 20:10:26 »
I probably don't have enough experience to be a proto tester but I'm definitely in for Beta or Prod!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 20:18:04 »
I'll do the ErgoDox-like version. :)

in memoriam

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 21:04:49 »
Two for you, and two for you, and another two for you!

Can I get at least one person to do a LH/RH version (sort of a split 60%) and at least one person to do a RH/LH version (similar to an Ergodox)?

Thanks,

- Ron | samwisekoi

I am really laughing at this.

Everyone wants the same thing as me; a matrix ergodox. (BIG FAT HINT, DO YOU HEAR ME WHOEVER DOES THESE THINGS FOR MASSDROP?)

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 02:08:04 »
Looks like I'm not qualify to buy this toy :D But still interest to see how's the finish product turns out.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 09:58:13 »
A picture is worth a thousand words, so here are two thousand words...

73934-0
GH36x2 Split Keyboard (Option A)
Traditional-ish layout with horizontal 2x keycaps near the split.

73936-1
GH36x2 Ergo Keypads (Option B)
Much like the Ergodox, with vertical 2x keycaps aligned for the thumb. 

Actual use of the 1x and 2x keycaps is up to the builder; the key difference for testing is the LH/RH swap of the keypads, which changes the column order.  I need at least one person to try Option A (Split Keyboard) and at least one person to try Option B (Ergo Keypads).

Who will build a Split Keyboard and who will build a pair of Ergo Keypads?

Thanks!

- Ron | samwisekoi
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 August 2014, 10:01:15 by samwisekoi »

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 12:31:12 »
I will build split for sure.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 15:09:04 »
How are you building yours, Ray?

in memoriam

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 18:28:07 »
If you still need people, I'd love to build one. I don't have quite the firmware experience that others have, but I'm confident I can learn. Also willing to pay for it.

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 18:32:56 »
How did I not notice this before? Looks great samwisekoi

This is almost identical to the keypad I discussed with you earlier regack. I went with making a plate and handwire instead of PCB. I haven't started yet, so now I don't have to handwire it!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 20:06:07 »
How are you building yours, Ray?

I was thinking of doing a split setup using all single keys.

But that 'mini' ergodox layout is appealing as well.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 21:20:37 »
. Also willing to pay for it.

isn't that the most important?  :p

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 00:04:52 »
If it's reversible, does this mean it will be "accidentally" ALPS compatible, the way the Ergodox PCB ended up, or is it more a  "rotate to reverse" instead of "flip to reverse"?
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 09:21:21 »
If it's reversible, does this mean it will be "accidentally" ALPS compatible, the way the Ergodox PCB ended up, or is it more a  "rotate to reverse" instead of "flip to reverse"?

It is flipped over like opening a book.  So PCB#2 top right front becomes the top left back.

However, the Teensy cannot be flipped.  It has all those pins and stuff.  So it would always  be on the normal bottom side of the board using columns 1-6.

74028-0
Making a GH36x2 Split Keyboard

1. Start with a single PCB with a Teensy on the back.
2. Place a second PCB on top of the first.
3. Open it like a book; flip the second PCB over from right to left.
4. Wire rows 1-6 to rows 1-6.
5. Wire PCB #2 columns 1-6 to PCB #1 columns 7-12; pads R7-12 are wired straight to the Teensy.

- Ron | samwisekoi
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 August 2014, 10:11:54 by samwisekoi »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 10:29:54 »
Ron, in order to have the switches on top with it "flipped like a book," won't you need to mirror the switch holes on top of themselves as well?

Also, you can always mount the Teensy upside down on the "top" with the pins in the correct locations, right?

Another suggestion I would make is to add 0806 size SMT pads for the diodes which connect via short traces to the THT diode holes, similar to how the ErgoDox has them. You could probably do the same for the resistors, as well.
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 August 2014, 10:34:23 by jdcarpe »

in memoriam

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #43 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 10:51:05 »
Ron, in order to have the switches on top with it "flipped like a book," won't you need to mirror the switch holes on top of themselves as well?

Also, you can always mount the Teensy upside down on the "top" with the pins in the correct locations, right?

Another suggestion I would make is to add 0806 size SMT pads for the diodes which connect via short traces to the THT diode holes, similar to how the ErgoDox has them. You could probably do the same for the resistors, as well.

Damn.  Ok, you are correct. The two switch pads must be twinned. I'll do that for the proto boards.

I had the SMD pads for the passives, but it made the traces horribly complex with the inclusion of PCB mounts for the switches and stabs.  I'll look again to see if I can snuggle them inside the through-hole pads.

Thanks very much!

- Ron | samwisekoi

p.s. .HoffmanMyster is on the list for a proto board.  What round are you interested in, damorgue?

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #44 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 11:09:54 »
74032-0
74034-1
74042-2
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 August 2014, 12:05:36 by metalliqaz »

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #45 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 11:18:02 »
What round are you interested in, damorgue?

Any round which works for you. I'll just have to check compatibility with my plate, I am not sure I had the 2u keys at the same positions.v Actually, I am interested even if it doesn't fit perfectly anyway.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #46 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 12:27:48 »
What round are you interested in, damorgue?

Any round which works for you. I'll just have to check compatibility with my plate, I am not sure I had the 2u keys at the same positions.v Actually, I am interested even if it doesn't fit perfectly anyway.

Ok, I'll send a better-tested board to Sweden.

OK, all switch pads twinned.  Traces have been run to everything EXCEPT the three vertical 2x triple switch sets.  I'll get them after another espresso.

More
74047-0

GH36 prototype PCB with twinned switch pads.  Incomplete trace layouot.

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Dude!  That is awesome!  Thanks very much!

- Ron | samwisekoi

[edit] Missed a couple!
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 August 2014, 12:38:00 by samwisekoi »

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #47 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 12:31:27 »
Dude how is the LED supposed to work in two hand mode?

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #48 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 12:49:47 »
Dude how is the LED supposed to work in two hand mode?

Not supported yet.  Frankly I have not decided whether to send the LED signals from the Teensy to the expansion pads OR send the output of the LED driver circuits.

However, form a software perspective, the four LED pins should do the following things:

WASD - PWM variable.
NUM LOCK - normal NUMLOCK LED behavior, if desired by the user.
LED1 - PWM variable.
LED2 - normal CAPSLOCK LED behavior, if desired by the user.  Otherwise PWM vaiable.

For the prototype NUMLOCK should be available as should WASD PWM lighting.  LED1 and LED2 are nice to have.

Does that answer your question sufficiently?

Thanks again!

- Ron | samwisekoi

p.s.  Row and column traces are complete for all switch positions.  100% twinned switch pads suitable for flipping.  LED traces only complete for WASD (and ESDF) plus NUMLOCK.  Additional mounting holes added.

More
74054-0

GH36 Proto PCB v140808b4 samwisekoi 2014
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 August 2014, 14:37:58 by samwisekoi »

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #49 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 12:53:25 »
Yup