Author Topic: Wireless Router  (Read 1538 times)

Offline Vipetior

Wireless Router
« on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 11:24:07 »
I have a Linksys WRT300N that i have had for 10+ years now and it is starting to die. I'm looking for a new router to replace it. We do a lot of gaming and it must also be wireless.

An easy to understand UI to do port forwarding and all that jazz would also be nice and something that isnt cheap but also wont break the bank.

Offline Skull_Angel

Re: Wireless Router
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 12:12:03 »
I've been running MMOs on wireless from an Asus RT-AC56U for the past few months w/o hiccups; currently have it loaded with Merlin's AsusWRT build and it runs great across the house (may be 150' range), mind you there's very little signal clutter here.

I wish I could run wired, but my present situation doesn't allow it even though it isn't really necessary since there's been no issue since configuring the router and wireless adapters (which was fairly simple). One thing to keep in mind is that AsusWRT and Merlin's version of it are very simple interfaces; it does have a lot of options, but the customizability may not be as deep as you may want if you really get into it (at that point there are other firmwares that may interest you).

Offline nar

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 12:22:54 »
Buffalo has a series of routers that come preloaded with DD-WRT that I've been looking at.
Keyboards: Topre HE0100 | REALFORCE 103UB & 104UB-DK | FILCO Majestouch 2 Ai Cherry MX Blue | CHERRY G84-4101SPAUS

Offline Vipetior

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 13:49:56 »
I've been running MMOs on wireless from an Asus RT-AC56U for the past few months w/o hiccups; currently have it loaded with Merlin's AsusWRT build and it runs great across the house (may be 150' range), mind you there's very little signal clutter here.

I wish I could run wired, but my present situation doesn't allow it even though it isn't really necessary since there's been no issue since configuring the router and wireless adapters (which was fairly simple). One thing to keep in mind is that AsusWRT and Merlin's version of it are very simple interfaces; it does have a lot of options, but the customizability may not be as deep as you may want if you really get into it (at that point there are other firmwares that may interest you).

Port forwarding on my router atm is just a simple
[Port#] - [port#] Protocol[TCP, UDP, Both] [IP Address] Enable/disable

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 14:51:30 »

Port forwarding on my router atm is just a simple
[Port#] - [port#] Protocol[TCP, UDP, Both] [IP Address] Enable/disable

Here's what the port forward page looks like.

edit: Protocall - TCP, UDP, Both, Other
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 March 2014, 14:54:00 by Skull_Angel »

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 15:31:29 »
The Asus RT-AC66U and AC56U are great routers with the stock software. I upgraded to the Asus from my WRT300N and have been very happy.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline blackbox

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 11:51:41 »
The Asus RT-AC66U and AC56U are great routers with the stock software. I upgraded to the Asus from my WRT300N and have been very happy.

Agreed. In the future I would  also add the Linksys wrt1900ac to the list of recommended wireless routers.
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0