Author Topic: At which weight do you have to stop lubing Ergo Clears  (Read 2026 times)

Offline Encabulator

At which weight do you have to stop lubing Ergo Clears
« on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 21:55:49 »
I'm interseted in doing the ergo clear mod with some 67 g swtiches to my pok3r (adding a removable switch top plate and new stabs too), but my concern is the whole switches getting stuck thing. I dont have the proper equipment to lube my switches and i fell that each switch is breaking in just fine. What do you say the lowest someone could go on ergo clears w/o lube and not have issues?
relax bro.. no one will bite ur head off on geekhack.. this is not that kind of community...   hahahahahahaha

Though tp4 will personally chew you out if you start selling $60 orings.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
Re: At which weight do you have to stop lubing Ergo Clears
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 00:46:16 »
62g. However, after the switches get worn in somewhat 60g will also work.

I'm using 60g clears atm. Before the 60g would cause the switch to stick slightly on the upstroke, but after a few weeks I swapped to 60g and it's working fine. Although you may still need to use the heavier springs on the stabilized keys.

In your case, 67g are plenty strong enough you won't have any issues.

Offline Encabulator

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 01:01:21 »
62g. However, after the switches get worn in somewhat 60g will also work.

I'm using 60g clears atm. Before the 60g would cause the switch to stick slightly on the upstroke, but after a few weeks I swapped to 60g and it's working fine. Although you may still need to use the heavier springs on the stabilized keys.

In your case, 67g are plenty strong enough you won't have any issues.

Would you say that your keys feel scratchier with lighter springs?
relax bro.. no one will bite ur head off on geekhack.. this is not that kind of community...   hahahahahahaha

Offline Fullcream

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 02:30:26 »
I had used mx light springs (about 60g) in clears for a long time and I never ever had sticking where it would not come back up but if you purposely lifted your finger slowly it did feel like a slower than normal upstroke over the tactile bump.

In my opinion 62G just makes the rebound feel a bit nicer.
Ive since moved on to find that 67/68g is my favourite weight for any mx. And I always preferred the feel of clears when unlubed.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 08:04:37 »
Not really any difference tbh. My batch of Clears don't feel all that scratchy in the first place, though.

I had used mx light springs (about 60g) in clears for a long time and I never ever had sticking where it would not come back up but if you purposely lifted your finger slowly it did feel like a slower than normal upstroke over the tactile bump.

Ive since moved on to find that 67/68g is my favourite weight for any mx. And I always preferred the feel of clears when unlubed.

I feel this too. But perhaps the lighter spring just really brings out the sawtoothy feel of tactile MX switches in general.

Offline quasistellar

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 08:31:00 »
I use springs from MX Reds on my clears and like them, but without lube I could somewhat reliably get them to stick in the down position.

Granted, I would have to consciously TRY to do this, but it was possible.  I would think 62g springs would be sufficient to prevent this, and I believe that is the reason we see that spring rating so commonly.
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 April 2017, 09:45:37 by quasistellar »

Offline Encabulator

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 14:25:42 »

I'm gonna pick up some 67 g springs.