Author Topic: [IC] GMK SKIDATA+ (GB IS LIVE)  (Read 1512912 times)

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
Re: [IC] GMK SKIDATA+ (Final Pre-GB Preparation Stage)
« Reply #500 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 17:09:27 »
Everything has been finalized, no further changes will be made.

Any revisions at this point will delay this by at least a week or two, and we'll end up with the same fate as Classic Beige. It's time to go. FULL SPEED AHEAD!

Timing is a very delicate issue.

Does that mean the GB is like up now?
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #501 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 17:22:18 »
GB will be up very soon, you'll know when it goes live.

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline hitlu

• [LF] Ogres and Colonel
« Reply #502 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 19:07:19 »

be one of them.
Colonel or Ogre

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #503 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 05:32:14 »

This will spread faster, than any Zombie Plague throughout the known world, today  8) .

BRING IT ON......

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #504 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 05:36:38 »
ETA? :)

Offline Data

« Reply #505 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 14:04:19 »
 :eek:  :eek:  :eek:

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #506 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 05:47:49 »
Updates :) ?

Offline rpeterclark

• RPTR ❌
« Reply #507 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 06:27:56 »

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #508 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 05:51:10 »
:)

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #509 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 09:17:31 »
Everything has been finalized, no further changes will be made.

Any revisions at this point will delay this by at least a week or two, and we'll end up with the same fate as Classic Beige. It's time to go. FULL SPEED AHEAD!

Timing is a very delicate issue.

Karura, you've done an amazing job organizing this group buy.  I hope it will be a huge success.

However, I'm really disappointed in the lack of 60% support.  In your post above, you imply that it would be too late an addition to the set.  However, I brought up this issue on the very first page when you started the IC over two months ago, and you explicitly said that it would be included.  This is why I'm a little confused and disappointed.

Not sure what does this mean... You mean 60% non standard bottom row?

Hmm, might be interested if there's 60% support.

Hello sir what I meant is most of the 60s that I know about use 1.25x bottom rows with one of them usually a Fn (in place of the menu key typically). So adding a 1.25 blank or Fn or some logo or something would support all of those boards.

This will be covered, as Fn is already included in the HHKB support keys.

I really, really think that it would be a great feature to include that key.  The number of users using Poker boards (I, II, or Pok3r) or other boards using Poker-style layouts (KBTalking, GON NeRD 60's, Sprit, GH60, some of the Pure's, Ducky Mini, etc.) here is huge. 

Yes, you can use the menu key for Fn just like you could use a Shift key for Control...sure you can use it but the legend is wrong.

I think if you added a 1.25x Fn or blank to the Add-on pack it really wouldn't add any cost to the base set and only a very minimal cost to the Add-on set (I can't imagine a blank key would add so much).

Please consider including it and keeping support for so many 60% users out there.  It would add a lot to the usability for a lot of people.  Thanks.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #510 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 10:20:04 »
The current layout choices fully support 60%.
To define support: you are able to represent every single key used in the respective layout with a key that has the proper size and profile, and a legend that would make sense.

What you are requesting for is a redundant 1.25 key that says "Fn" when there is already a Menu key that serves as the function (I understand you acknowledge this).

Please keep in mind we're not dealing with SP here, we're having really high quality double shots made from Cherry's original mold. Cherry legends are only going to be considered, because that's the nature of how these keys are.

It is common practice to use the Menu key and Winkey on poker keyboards for the Fn and Pn keys.

Keyboards have always had Menu keys instead of Fn, and as much as I'd like to include every single key, the only keys that would benefit every buyer would be keys that 1) without legends to represent it, 2) without the proper size, 3) without the proper profile.

Now I realize you might argue that 1) is false and Fn != Menu key, but for argument's sake, let's say everyone gets their favourite legends for 1.25u keys added in, that is:

2x Win95 keys
2x Win7 keys
2x Control keys
2x Fn keys...

I hope you understand where I'm going with this. With all due respect, it's really too much to ask for everyone to pay extra for a completely redundant key when it exists. I'd much rather add F and J with homing dashes, because those keys in that specific profile don't exist at all. It wouldn't be redundant like yet another 1.25 Fn key. It's a matter of priorities, and I really wish I could add every key for everyone.

If there absolutely wasn't another way to represent 1.25 Fn in the same profile, I would have definitely considered it.
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 October 2015, 10:26:03 by Karura »

Offline ImpendingxDoom

• * Maker
  • MF the SuperVillain
« Reply #511 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 10:22:35 »

What you are requesting for is a redundant 1.25 key that says "Fn" when there is already a Menu key that serves as the function (I understand you acknowledge this).

It is common practice to use the Menu key and Winkey on poker keyboards for the Fn and Pn keys.

Keyboards have always had Menu keys instead of Fn, and as much as I'd like to include every single key, the only keys that would benefit every buyer would be keys that 1) without legends to represent it, 2) without the proper size, 3) without the proper profile.

Now I realize you might argue that 1) is false and Fn != Menu key, but for argument's sake, let's say everyone gets their favourite legends for 1.25u keys added in, that is:

2x Win95 keys
2x Win7 keys
2x Control keys
2x Fn keys...

I hope you understand where I'm going with this. With all due respect, it's really too much to ask for everyone to pay extra for a completely redundant key when it exists. I'd much rather add F and J either homing dashes, because those keys in that specific profile don't exist at all. It's a matter of priorities, and I really wish I could add every key for everyone.

Pls add a space bar with a hotdog on it for me kthnx

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #512 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 10:56:18 »
To define support: you are able to represent every single key used in the respective layout with a key that has the proper size and profile, and a legend that would make sense.

Please keep in mind we're not dealing with SP here, we're having really high quality double shots made from Cherry's original mold. Cherry legends are only going to be considered, because that's the nature of how these keys are.

2x Win95 keys
2x Win7 keys
2x Control keys
2x Fn keys...

I hope you understand where I'm going with this. With all due respect, it's really too much to ask for everyone to pay extra for a completely redundant key when it exists. I'd much rather add F and J with homing dashes, because those keys in that specific profile don't exist at all. It wouldn't be redundant like yet another 1.25 Fn key. It's a matter of priorities, and I really wish I could add every key for everyone.

If there absolutely wasn't another way to represent 1.25 Fn in the same profile, I would have definitely considered it.

OK.

2x Win95 keys
2x Win7 keys
2x Control keys
2x Fn keys...

I hope you understand where I'm going with this. With all due respect, it's really too much to ask for everyone to pay extra for a completely redundant key when it exists. I'd much rather add F and J either homing dashes, because those keys in that specific profile don't exist at all. It's a matter of priorities, and I really wish I could add every key for everyone.

Thanks for that.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #513 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 11:13:17 »
I did laugh at the hot dog joke.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #514 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 11:16:46 »
Hotdog spacebars will be available in an "orange chili dog" variant to be included with the colour pack to spice things up. ;) (jk)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #515 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 12:16:08 »
Hotdog spacebars will be available in an "orange chili dog" variant to be included with the colour pack to spice things up. ;) (jk)
We're all wieners here.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #516 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 12:23:48 »
We're all wieners here.
That joke was as corny as corn, dog.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #517 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 12:26:41 »

2x Win95 keys
2x Win7 keys
2x Control keys
2x Fn keys...

OK.

2x Win95 keys
2x Win7 keys
2x Control keys
2x Fn keys...

Thank you for your input.

FTFY

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #518 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 21:01:58 »
Due to ImpedingxDoom's request for a hotdog spacebar, I have gotten in touch with GMK to request for such a design to be pad-printed, and will delay the group buy for 2 weeks. Hopefully this isn't a huge deal!

Check mockups pls.

Offline ImpendingxDoom

• * Maker
  • MF the SuperVillain
« Reply #519 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 21:16:21 »
Due to ImpedingxDoom's request for a hotdog spacebar, I have gotten in touch with GMK to request for such a design to be pad-printed, and will delay the group buy for 2 weeks. Hopefully this isn't a huge deal!

Check mockups pls.

Show Image

Ty it's everything I ever wanted. I hope future GBs will include this as a standard option.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #520 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 21:51:25 »

Check mockups pls.

Show Image

Some of us prefer mustard and relish.

Offline ika

« Reply #521 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 21:55:31 »
where is the hamburger option? I refuse to buy into a groupbuy that only includes hot dog spacebars. I will not accept a half-assed hotdogburger compromise, either. We demand (USDA) choice!

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #522 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 22:03:39 »
Just kill me now... lol

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #523 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 01:26:35 »
Sushi would make more sense than burger/hotdog
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #524 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 05:45:28 »
Did I miss what the 3rd option is?  Is the hotdog space bars the third option :)

Offline Data

« Reply #525 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 08:47:43 »
My wallet is ready for that SKIDATA PLUS PLUS.   :eek:

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #526 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 10:17:52 »
Is there an official launch date for the GB?

Offline lambFoo

« Reply #527 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 17:08:37 »

I'm guess no for now.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #528 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 17:21:31 »

I know Karura is working hard on the final details and will be launching it asap. Don't worry too much about when it starts, as you will have plenty of time to get your order in!  :)

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #529 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 18:28:30 »
Hey guys!
Just to echo what Byker said, I spoke to Karura not too long ago, and he's working hard putting the final touches on everything.  I know the waiting is tough, but there's a lot of work going on behind the scenes and can promise everyone it will be completely worth it when this buy is ready to go live!  Stay tuned!
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
Re: [IC] GMK SKIDATA+ (GB Incoming)
« Reply #530 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 04:04:03 »
OP has been updated with the final renders.

I've been working very hard to make this happen, and I'm doing all that I can to ensure that we will have a successful and smooth group buy. :thumb:

There will be an announcement tomorrow.

Edit: Help spread the word :P any amount of support we can get at this moment is very crucial! Tell your grandmas, tell your uncles, tell everyone!
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 October 2015, 04:31:45 by Karura »

Offline Data

« Reply #531 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 08:20:35 »
My aunts, uncles, 1st 2nd and 3rd cousins, wife & in-laws, neighbors, and my grandma are all lined up to order the SkiData+ GMK deliciousness.

Let's do this.

Offline taylordcraig

« Reply #532 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 09:36:47 »
My aunts, uncles, 1st 2nd and 3rd cousins, wife & in-laws, neighbors, and my grandma are all lined up to order the SkiData+ GMK deliciousness.

Let's do this.

Minimum order of 10 coming from Data. MOQ is now officially 240.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #533 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 09:54:49 »

Let's do this.

What about all your future descendants that will need a set? I'm imagining you will have productive offspring  :p

Offline Data

« Reply #534 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 12:39:43 »

Let's do this.

What about all your future descendants that will need a set? I'm imagining you will have productive offspring  :p

There will be enough sets in the family that they can be passed down like heirlooms.   :p

Offline lambFoo

« Reply #535 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 16:11:18 »

Let's do this.

There will be enough sets in the family that they can be passed down like heirlooms.   :p

He'll purchase enough to hit the MOQ instantly.

Offline rpeterclark

• RPTR ❌
« Reply #536 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 16:33:36 »

Let's do this.

Every time I get a package in the mail the wife and kids are like "OMG, MORE keycaps Dad?" They don't understand that it's their inheritance.

Offline lambFoo

« Reply #537 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 19:37:32 »
Every time I get a package in the mail the wife and kids are like "OMG, MORE keycaps Dad?" They don't understand that it's their inheritance.
HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH

can u be my dad pls?

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #538 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 20:45:41 »
This has been a monster 11-page IC. Hopefully that means the GB will have a minimum of the usual whiny drama. You know the kind of stuff in talking about:

"Wow {GB leader's name}, this set is incredible. It is easily the most impeccably-designed set I've ever seen, and GMK quality is second to none!

"Unfortunately you did not include the 17 special keys I need for my {X} custom, so I will have to sit this one out. It's heartbreaking though, because this is otherwise the perfect set for me, and many others I'm sure."

* sits there mashing F5 waiting hopelessly for a contrite reply from the GB leader that will never come

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #539 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 21:03:21 »
This has been a monster 11-page IC. Hopefully that means the GB will have a minimum of the usual whiny drama. You know the kind of stuff in talking about:

"Wow {GB leader's name}, this set is incredible. It is easily the most impeccably-designed set I've ever seen, and GMK quality is second to none!

"Unfortunately you did not include the 17 special keys I need for my {X} custom, so I will have to sit this one out. It's heartbreaking though, because this is otherwise the perfect set for me, and many others I'm sure."

* sits there mashing F5 waiting hopelessly for a contrite reply from the GB leader that will never come

What about "Submitted!" or, when the time comes, "Paid!  :thumb:"?

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #540 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 21:12:53 »

I actually like these posts. Usually only the GB leader can see who has ordered. "Ordered!" helps communicate to everyone else that folks are joining the buy, which helps build hype. I like hype. Likewise, "Paid!" indicates that yes, you are the only one dragging your feet to pay that invoice. I hate late payers.

I can see, though, how those kinds of posts might trigger the same gag reflex as "first post!"

My boards:
More

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #541 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 21:25:04 »

I actually like these posts. Usually only the GB leader can see who has ordered. "Ordered!" helps communicate to everyone else that folks are joining the buy, which helps build hype. I like hype. Likewise, "Paid!" indicates that yes, you are the only one dragging your feet to pay that invoice. I hate late payers.

I can see, though, how those kinds of posts might trigger the same gag reflex as "first post!"

I wasn't completely bashing on them. I get why they're there, but when you have post after post of them...well...  :thumb:

And I will do the same for the GB Skidata+.  :cool:

Offline taylordcraig

« Reply #542 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 01:58:24 »
If the organizer doesnt give us a way to communicate who has joined then I do so myself, I think that's fair. I hadn't, until now, even considered the negative reaction some people might have to it. The internet is such a terrible place, putting disdain in our hearts for such arbitrary things.
Though I definitely do see  it now. @.@

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #543 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 08:00:23 »
If the organizer doesnt give us a way to communicate who has joined then I do so myself, I think that's fair. I hadn't, until now, even considered the negative reaction some people might have to it. The internet is such a terrible place, putting disdain in our hearts for such arbitrary things.

I read this post.

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #544 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 08:07:05 »
Waiting for update :)))))

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #545 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 08:14:07 »
Waiting for update :)))))
Same, I've been excited since I woke up!
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #546 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 08:23:14 »
I don't have a negative impact toward them. They just seem inevitable.
I get why they're useful for the GB leader.

When you have Tapatalk and see a notification, you get all excited until you see its just a "Paid" comment; no juicy GB info. :(

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #547 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 08:44:10 »
Just saw the final mockups. Oh boy am I excited...  This is probably the first Keyset that I'll be ordering two of everything.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #548 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 09:36:09 »

When you have Tapatalk and see a notification, you get all excited until you see its just a "Paid" comment; no juicy GB info. :(

This is why you should turn off tapatalk notifications

Hell I would turn off unwatch most if not all GB threads if I could just see the OP's posts only

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #549 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 09:47:53 »

This is why you should turn off tapatalk notifications

Hell I would turn off unwatch most if not all GB threads if I could just see the OP's posts only

Turn off thread notifications, but keep quote notifications.  :)