Author Topic: [GB] SPRH - An ortho for your standard keycap sets - Manufacturing in progress!  (Read 2781 times)

Offline joedinkle

• Eye Oh Designs
    • Eye Oh Designs
SPRH (Square Peg, Round Hole): A keyboard by Eye Oh Designs
A 65% ortho board compatible with standard keycap sets

Whether you're an ortho user thirsting for a keycap set that doesn't have nearly enough 1u keys, or a staggered user thinking about dipping your toes in the ortho pool, the SPRH has you covered.

The group buy is closed! Thanks to all who participated!
Reminder to pay your invoices. Most have, but there are a few hanging out there! I'm planning to place the orders for the cases and PCBs over the next several days, so pay or let me know if you're unable to participate. Thanks!

Stats:
CNC machined Aluminum available in anodized black or blue
7.5 degree typing angle
Top mount plate in sandblasted brass or FR4
Rotary encoder (2 color options pictured) with button press
Daughterboard with USB-C and protection from overcurrent and ESD conditions
Runs QMK
Includes needed hardware and bumpons
Millmax hotswap service

Pricing:
Basic kit (with either plate material): $350
Extra PCB: $40
Extra Brass Plate: $45
Extra FR4 Plate: $30
Switch Plate Foam (thicc 4mm EVA for you ASMR fiends): $20
Hot Swap Service:  $35 (includes cost of mill-max sockets and labor for soldering encoder and mill-max). I may be shutting this down soon so that I don't get overwhelmed with soldering
Shipping: $18 US. Non-US shipping calculated at invoice.

GB Format:
April 9 - April 30
Minimum: 10 units
Max: 50(soft cap) - 75 (hard cap)
Payments: Google Form with Paypal invoicing.
Shipping to start approx 4 months from GB close.

Sound test 1: https://streamable.com/7ly7b4
Brass plate
Novel Keys Dry Series Yellow, lubed with 205g0
Durock Stabs, lubed with dielectric grease
GMK Keycaps

Sound test 2: https://streamable.com/dovj4s
FR4 plate
3mm EVA Foam
JWK T1s, factory lubed slider, body and spring lubed with 3204
Cherry Stabs, lubed with dielectric grease
GMK Keycaps

@eyeohdesigns
/u/eyeohdesigns
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 May 2021, 17:54:08 by joedinkle »

Offline joedinkle

• Eye Oh Designs
    • Eye Oh Designs
Re: [GB] SPRH - An ortho for your standard keycap sets
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 17:37:16 »
5-5-2021 Ninja Update: All files for the PCBs and cases have been submitted, but I'm waiting on final invoices before I can pay. I've been told by the PCB fab that I will have this by 6 May. I'm hoping to have received the final invoice from the case manufacturer by then as well. Once I get things paid for, I'll do a more comprehensive update and bump the thread.

5-7-2021 Update: Hey peeps! Things are moving right along. Here's where we stand.

Cases: Cases and brass plates were paid for on May 5th. The manufacturer estimates 70 days to complete the order. I've requested a production sample before the entire order is completed to do a final fit test and to confirm a good color match on the blue since it's been so long since that prototype was made.

PCBs/FR4 Plates: Main PCBs and daughterboards were paid for on May 5th. The main PCBs have gone into production. I'm fixing a minor issue with the daughterboard BOM and those will go into production shortly thereafter. Just like with the cases, I've requested a production sample before the rest go into production. Once I receive those and give the thumbs up, I'll begin reaching out to those that requested the hotswap service to confirm which layout you'd like. The FR4 plates were paid for today. They'll go into production soon.

Miscellaneous items: Most of the foam is cut. I've just about run out of material, but I ordered more. I'll cut that once it arrives. Knobs, daughterboard cables, and other items that are easy to purchase with little/no lead time will be ordered closer to fulfilment. I have a bunch of kids running around the house and things always get lost. I'll wait to order those types of items until it makes more sense.

Firmware: The firmware is pretty much ready to be submitted to QMK. I just need to add a JSON for the new split layout that was added at the start of the group buy.

That's all for now! I'll be doing these once a month or when something significant happens, whichever is sooner. Take care!
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 May 2021, 17:53:21 by joedinkle »

Offline joedinkle

• Eye Oh Designs
    • Eye Oh Designs
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 11 April 2021, 14:30:25 »
Hey guys! We hit MOQ yesterday! I'll be sending out the first round of invoices soon. :thumb:

Offline joedinkle

• Eye Oh Designs
    • Eye Oh Designs
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 20 April 2021, 09:22:38 »
We're at the halfway mark and there are still a few kits to grab!

If you signed the Google form, you've been sent an invoice. Most everyone has paid, but if you haven't please pay promptly so things can get ordered as soon as the group buy is over. :thumb:

Offline Ratheighna

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 20 April 2021, 14:50:35 »
Will the finished products have the logos on the front of the case?

Offline joedinkle

• Eye Oh Designs
    • Eye Oh Designs
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 20 April 2021, 23:38:11 »
That's the plan. The logos were finished after the prototypes were ordered, so they weren't included in those. Once the buy period of the GB is over, I intend to get a production sample made before giving the green light on the rest of the boards.

Offline bdju

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 26 April 2021, 02:39:12 »
Can you buy the PCB by itself?
Can the PCB fit into a normal 65% case?
It would be interesting if this were like the Lumberjack but for 65% form factor and could be used to upgrade older boards.
libre lad

Offline joedinkle

• Eye Oh Designs
    • Eye Oh Designs
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 10:58:02 »
Can you buy the PCB by itself?

Right now my focus of effort is on the full kit. I'm sure there will be a small number of PCBs left over after the group buy that I would make available. I'm not sure how many at this point though. Plate files will be released, so making a case of your own would be simple from there.

Can the PCB fit into a normal 65% case?

Due to the unique layout this would not fit into another case.

Offline joedinkle

• Eye Oh Designs
    • Eye Oh Designs
Update bump. Check the 2nd post.