Author Topic: Dell AT101W Black Alps  (Read 6437 times)

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
Dell AT101W Black Alps
« on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 19:50:26 »
This is my review of the Dell AT101W

I purchased this keyboard for $40 shipped off of ebay.

It arrived NIB and double boxed.

The label on the original dell box is some shipping labels to a Dell facility.

Out of the original box you have your manuals and regular documentation.

First thing, this board is sturdy. Has a nice weight to it and the case flexes a bit.

Its a 104 key keyboard, with some extra space on the top.

The caps are lasered. Not sure if they are ABS or PBT. Every key is concave except for the bottom row of the main cluster, which is convex.

The switches are Black Alps. These are clicky. I'm not a huge fan of clicky. I prefer tactile. Its pretty lould, almost at BS louldness. But there isn't much ping from the 1X keys. Only on the keys with stabs, especially the spacebar, is there rattling. Nevertheless, I will line it with drawer liner later.

When you just push around the keys side to side without pressing down, it rattles and moves more than cherry keys.

These switches are scratchy. Really scratchy. The actuation is at the top, and first theres a tiny bit of empty space and then it actuates. From then to the bottom, its a rough ride. Its also pretty heavy. Not my cup of tea.

I will most likely mod the alphas and mods with matias quiet switches, as I do not like clicky that much. And for those who do like clicky, still stay away from blacks because they're really scratchy.

There is some interesting cable routing. I haven't seen cable routing like this yet from my Cherry and IBM boards.

Specifics to my board and pretty much just my board: While it came NIB, there are some scratches on the case, mainly on the top part. Not a big deal. However some keys are scuffed, mainly the left shift. But its not a big deal as I plan to get some Alps RGB mods.

All in all, for $40, its a nice board. Its solid, but needs some work. I suspect modding the switches will make it much more enjoyable, and some new caps to replace these lasered ones will be nice.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
Re: Dell AT101W Black Alps
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 20:19:46 »
Are you sure your board is NIB and not Factory Refurbed?
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 20:21:44 »

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 20:26:24 »
Hrm....it sucks that the switches are scratchy.  I've had some used/refurbed black ALPs that felt like absolute dog excrement.  I do have a NIB Wang with black ALPs that is buttery smooth though.  I just find it peculiar that a board which has been sealed in plastic since its birth has scratchy switches.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline PRISONER 24601

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 15:51:01 »
I wouldn't be surprised if decades old switches like that needed to be broken in after sitting for such a long time.
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
G80-3000LSCRC-2 (MX), "Ricercar" G86-6241OEUAGSA (MX), MX11800 (MX), AEKII (ALPS), AEK (ALPS) Apple Keyboard A9M0330 (ALPS), IBM Model F XT (Bucking Spring), IBM Space Saver 1391472 (Bucking Spring).

Offline blackbox

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 09:08:24 »
Interessting review. I use an 102w that is very similar to the 101.
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 10:11:15 »
The AT101W is kind of a gamble. When they're good, they feel absolutely amazing. But when they don't, they really, really, really don't.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 11:04:18 »
The AT101W is kind of a gamble. When they're good, they feel absolutely amazing. But when they don't, they really, really, really don't.

I guess I have been lucky then.
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0