Author Topic: Custom cases for QFR?  (Read 2002 times)

Offline Preach

• The Insane
Custom cases for QFR?
« on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 00:02:00 »
Just wondering if there are custom cases for the QFR like there are for the poker, etc ?

Would be nice to get a different case instead of the branding and rubbery texture (although I don't mind the rubbery texture)
QFR - Browns |

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Custom cases for QFR?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 00:16:53 »
It is rumoured that brandless cases will be available direct from CoolerMaster at some stage.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Preach

• The Insane
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 00:23:42 »
Have people made their own cases before? If so how hard would it be?
QFR - Browns |

Offline singaporean123

• I like keycaps and I cannot lie
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 00:27:21 »
Have people made their own cases before? If so how hard would it be?

i believe they are similar to filco cases, not 100% though.

Feng has made some acrylic ones for sale.(was below 50usd if i remember correctly)

He also has some aluminium ones which are about 300usd

Vortex(company) made some aluminium cases as well for 150usd or something, but there were loads of complains about it.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 00:30:34 »
A lot of the Filco cases will fit the QFR, although I don't think the Vortex alu cases fit. Not quite sure, though, so if you're seriously wanting one I suggest looking through the thread for them here on the forum.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 00:32:27 »
Filco and QFR are almost exactly the same.  They have the same plate design and the same modular controller PCB between the nav keys.  The only difference is that the Filco has two internal screws to attach the plate to the bottom, while the QFR does not.  In short, any case that will fit a Filco will fit a QFR.
Russ

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 00:33:53 »
Here is my post on the topic.  I really need to put this in the Wiki:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=37432.msg714145#msg714145
Russ

Offline Preach

• The Insane