Author Topic: [NEED HELP!] Which keyboard to buy? - Filco Ninja vs Leopold vs Das  (Read 10505 times)

Offline Reason

I'm really having a hard time deciding between these three keyboards

First keyboard: Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja Tenkeyless (Brown Switch)
- Buying from Suntec Technology (Hong Kong based retailer.. have no idea if it's legit or not)
- Costs around $164 USD including shipping
Pro:
- Super Sexy
- Filco Brand !!!
Con:
- Most expensive out of these three
- Brown Switch ( i want blue but I can only find black and brown switch for ninja)
Link: http://www.hksuntec.com/filco-fkbn87m-efb2.html

Second Keyboard: Leopold Tenkeyless White Korean Version (blue switch)
-Buying from Gmarket (Big Korean retail place lol I've bought a lot of stuff from them so I can definitely trust them.. I can also read Korean so that's a plus)
-Costs around $141 USD including shipping
Pro:
- Super sexy as well
- White color!!
- Blue Switch!!
- Korean lettering!!!
Con:
- No idea how the letters / keycaps are like.. do they become shiny and wears off quickly??
- Pretty expensive as well due to shipping
Link: http://www.leopold.co.kr/?doc=cart/item.php&it_id=1302781157

Third Keyboard: Das Keyboard Model S Professional
- Buying from Das Keyboard
- Costs around $104 USD including shipping ( due to the student discount )
Pro:
- Cheap Cheap Cheap compared to other ones.. most reasonably priced imo
- Blue switch
- Das...
Con:
- Hate the shiny design.. very unappealing and dust / fingerprint magnet
- Heard bad things about keycaps wearing out quickly and becoming shiny
- Need to plug in 2 usb port? wth
- Ugly compared to others...
Link: http://www.daskeyboard.com/model-s-professional/

I'm really having a hard time here guys.. I'm really limited on budget so I can really only buy one keyboard and stick with it for a long time.. Which would be the best buy for me!!?

Please!! I need suggestions!!! :D
« Last Edit: Tue, 31 May 2011, 04:28:00 by Reason »

Offline Tony

[NEED HELP!] Which keyboard to buy? - Filco Ninja vs Leopold vs Das
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 31 May 2011, 04:46:57 »
I was in your position a few months ago, so I suggest Filco for you. You can only afford one keyboard, so the best is what you should buy.

If you do not like brown, so a Das with blue switches is fine and cheap.

I don't know about Leopold keyboard's quality, so I cannot say anything about it.

Warning: Filco and any other keys also become shiny after some months of use too.
« Last Edit: Tue, 31 May 2011, 04:51:20 by Tony »
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline sndstrm

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 31 May 2011, 05:08:33 »
Quote from: Tony;353562
I was in your position a few months ago, so I suggest Filco for you. You can only afford one keyboard, so the best is what you should buy.

I agree with this.  If I could only own one keyboard it would be a filco.  The only other keyboard I have used that meets it in build quality is the Model M.  It also has the most support for keys and experienced users IMO.
rm -Rf /*

Offline rsantos97

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 31 May 2011, 05:11:37 »
The DAS is a very good loooking keyboard. I like the design and the modern looks it has. I also really like the fonts. I will be receiving a Filco tomorrow so I can post a comparison between the two.

Offline calavera

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 31 May 2011, 05:54:02 »
I'd pick Filco or Leopold. I personally don't like the shiny surface of DAS. Actually I don't like DAS in general. :)

Offline MasterBlaster

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 31 May 2011, 07:06:19 »
i m realy looking to buy a Filco brown but i dont want to get it from keyboardco as they dont have the model i want (non ninja) in stock and there prices are **** tbh but i cant seem to find a retailer to ship in eastern europe , does anyone know more filco retailers ? Suntec Technology doesnt ship in my country.
Das Professional Silent (brown) > Steelseries 6gv2 (black) > Logitech 19 (crap?!)

Offline rodtang

Offline MasterBlaster

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 31 May 2011, 07:19:27 »
Quote from: MasterBlaster;353583
i m realy looking to buy a Filco brown but i dont want to get it from keyboardco as they dont have the model....

except that
Das Professional Silent (brown) > Steelseries 6gv2 (black) > Logitech 19 (crap?!)

Offline rodtang

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 31 May 2011, 07:41:22 »
Quote from: MasterBlaster;353585
except that

Did not see that.

Offline looserboy

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 31 May 2011, 07:53:50 »
lol filcos keycaps are waering off faster than the das. rpister reviewed it in one very good wiki here on geekhack. full nkeyrollover with das.
if i would have only money for one keyboard i would buy the das with brown switches. and if you re looking for more prestige you will buy filco. because u used this brand as a pro argument.

but in the end are both excellent keyboards. only your own taste is important.

and your comparsion isnt good, because you are thinking about das and leopold wirth blue switches against a filco with browns. so its quiet not comparable.
« Last Edit: Tue, 31 May 2011, 07:59:05 by looserboy »

Cherry: G80 MX11900blacks  - G80 MX1800 blacks - G80 MX1502 blacks all cards  - G81 MY 8005 ins. cards - G81 MY 3000 modded to 20g (HowTo)
NMB SPACEINVADER white
Noppo: Choc Pro browns  - Choc Mini reds
IBM: Model F IBM: Model M SSK IBM: Model M

Offline Zet

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 31 May 2011, 08:18:19 »
depending on how much you care, or bothers you the glossy case of the DAS, I would go with either the DAS, or the filco.
If I'm not wrong, as far as I've read, all the keycaps from this three keyboards will get shinny at about the same point, but have for sure, that at least the filco and DAS, won't wear off, I haven't read much about leopolds, but the otaku has blank keycaps so... Also I would go for the DAS with blank keycaps, and the reason the DAS requires two USB ports, is cause one is for the keyboard, and the other one is for the USB HUB it has on it, so if you plug just one, the USB hub won't work, no need to plug it if you don't plan to use it.

I been thinking for long, a solution for those who hate the glossy case of the DAS, I know a store on Chile, where I've made my universitary studies, where you go with whatever you want to customize, and they make custom sized stickers made some special material, much more like for laptops tops and inside, it dosent wear off easily, and if you decide to take it off it doesn't leave any gross residues on the laptop/keyboard. You could make a custom colored one and have your das pimped.

Offline dfoo

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 31 May 2011, 11:30:46 »
You prefer the blues so get the Leopold :) The white is lookin' slick

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 31 May 2011, 11:43:21 »
White Leopold. I wouldn't even hesitate on that decision.
keyboards!

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 31 May 2011, 12:36:58 »
I vote for Filco Ninja. Super Sexy!!!

Keyboardless

woody

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 01 June 2011, 08:24:21 »
Thight gal.

Offline benis

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 01 June 2011, 09:17:46 »
Go for Leo. I got mine in the mail today and It was love at first type (tenkeyless brown). The das I heard is glossy. My first buy was a BW, i heard the gloss gets annoying but you never really understand till you try it. As for the filco, its recommended by about everyone here, so all I can say is its gunna be good, but everyone has a filco so I say support the competition. Honestly though pick what ever is cheaper(less expensive) between the filco and leo. I can't comment on the filco quality, but the leo is solid like a rock. that is all.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 01 June 2011, 11:29:19 »
as far as i'm concerned the filco and leopold are about the same quality. i only own a leopold, but have used a friends filco and they seem very samey to me, asides from the minor difference in where the lock indicators are, and the leopold is rounder. leopold key caps are ok, but i replaced most of them with some doubleshots from an old wyse board. they have kind of a soft velvety feeling to them in comparison to the doubleshots. as far as wear goes, they go quick. i've had mine for about a month and there is already some shine on the original keys which aren't even used that often (modifiers) and big shine on space. friends filco is pretty same, with big shine on the gamer keys but he's had it for almost a year or so.
but i still vote for the leopold. white is looking good, and the hangul is cool too.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 01 June 2011, 11:39:36 »
Speaking of which, where can you get the white Leos?

Offline Fixall

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 01 June 2011, 18:46:02 »
Just as a bit of heads up...  I had a Macally keyboard in white and I found it very difficult to keep it looking good after 6 months or so.

I'm not sure how others have faired with their white keyboards or how the white Leopolds specifically hold up (aesthetically)  but here's what I experienced with the Macally's finish.

1.  I felt the need to clean it MUCH more often as I noticed every little spec of dust on the keyboard (much like glossy black keyboards).

2.  The keycaps I used most often started to look a little bit "dingy?" when compared to the surrounding keys after 3 or 4 months, even with constant cleaing.

3.  And the worst and biggest thing I noticed was UV damage.  My computer desk is near a window in such a way that half my keyboard is sometimes in natural light (no direct sunlight) while the other half was shaded.  After about 6 months or so the discoloration became very noticeable.  

Anyways that was my experience with a white finish keyboard, but take that with a grain of salt as it's only based on 1 keyboard that is of significantly lower build quality.

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 01 June 2011, 21:03:57 »
I bought a Das because I wanted blank keys and outside of the glossy finish, you won't find too many complaints about it.

Filcos are amazing but you for sure pay a price for them versus a Das with the student discount.  Is a non-glossy surface worth $50 to you?

In the end i'm sure you will be more than happy with any of your choices.
Check out my sales thread.

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
KBC w/Reds and Cherry doubleshots in imsto\'s case
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g
KMAC Titanium/Winkeyless (in the mail)

Offline Zet

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 01 June 2011, 22:23:30 »
I insist, the nicer solution for the DAS is to get some custom stickers, I'll post here what I mean once I find the dang store I once went to when I was in Santiago de Chile.

PS: found the store, they claim to do vinyl adhesives that are water resistant and good for high traffic and stuff. Also taking those off (as they say) won't leave any residues on the covers.
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 June 2011, 22:28:03 by Zet »

Offline clack

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 02 June 2011, 01:05:50 »
is there a place to buy those white keys on the leopold or do you have to buy the whole board

Offline Reason

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 02 June 2011, 02:47:34 »
You can buy the leopold fc200R on gmarket and i think they have keycaps at the official korean leopold site but not sure if you can buy em from other country

Offline Reason

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 02 June 2011, 02:48:08 »
Hey how would I get my hands on those stickers in US?

Quote from: Zet;354512
I insist, the nicer solution for the DAS is to get some custom stickers, I'll post here what I mean once I find the dang store I once went to when I was in Santiago de Chile.

PS: found the store, they claim to do vinyl adhesives that are water resistant and good for high traffic and stuff. Also taking those off (as they say) won't leave any residues on the covers.

Offline Zet

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 02 June 2011, 07:43:47 »
Quote from: Reason;354605
Hey how would I get my hands on those stickers in US?

I don't know much about the shipment, I mean, I've never done it. But I'm going to Santiago in two weeks, we could figure something out. But if perhaps you ask for help, and do a big search, I bet there's a store on the US that sells the same or better.

Offline sordna

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 02 June 2011, 11:01:43 »
If you are in the US, and presumably don't care too much about placement of the lettering (since you are considering DAS / leopold as well) why not go for a non-ninja tenkeyless Filco with blue switches available at amazon for $145
http://www.amazon.com/Filco-Majestouch-Tenkeyless-Action-Keyboard/dp/B00304FHKG/

EDIT: Whoops, that one is used. Perhaps you won't mind.

Other option, brand new Filco tenkeyless with browns for $139 and free shipping:
http://www.amazon.com/Filco-Majestouch-2-Tenkeyless-Tactile-Keyboard/dp/B004WOF7QM
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 June 2011, 11:06:03 by sordna »
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline rsantos97

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 02 June 2011, 12:32:16 »
Just got my Filco tenkeyless with browns today.  I like the whole tenkyless size thing it is very small and easy to setup where you want it on your desk.  You could even using it on your lap.  Compared to the DAS I have to say that both keyboards are very nice looking.  As for the key caps, the DAS feels like it has higher quality keycaps, and I like the scifi font it has on it.  You can't go wrong with either one.  The DAS has the upper hand with price and value.  It is $40 less and it also has two usb ports built into the side.  

Now for the switches, I think it is easier to type on browns.  They feel very smooth and soft.  Although I like the sound of the blues they feel a little bit too stiff when you get to the actuation point.  I don't feel the tactile bump on the browns it almost feels linear.  They are also very quiet.  I say get one of each if you can just so you can get a feel for them.  

I am planning to use my filco as the main keyboard and break out the DAS when I feel like hearing myself type.

But again you really can't go wrong with any of the choices.

Offline Zet

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 02 June 2011, 15:34:09 »
Quote from: rsantos97;354716
Just got my Filco tenkeyless with browns today.  I like the whole tenkyless size thing it is very small and easy to setup where you want it on your desk.  You could even using it on your lap.  Compared to the DAS I have to say that both keyboards are very nice looking.  As for the key caps, the DAS feels like it has higher quality keycaps, and I like the scifi font it has on it.  You can't go wrong with either one.  The DAS has the upper hand with price and value.  It is $40 less and it also has two usb ports built into the side.  

Now for the switches, I think it is easier to type on browns.  They feel very smooth and soft.  Although I like the sound of the blues they feel a little bit too stiff when you get to the actuation point.  I don't feel the tactile bump on the browns it almost feels linear.  They are also very quiet.  I say get one of each if you can just so you can get a feel for them.  

I am planning to use my filco as the main keyboard and break out the DAS when I feel like hearing myself type.

But again you really can't go wrong with any of the choices.

Great review man!
I'm interested on getting a DAS myself, and I wanted to ask you, how do you deal with the glossy end of the DAS, any advices?