Author Topic: Foot operated command key for mac ⌘  (Read 2666 times)

Offline dpanse

Foot operated command key for mac ⌘
« on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 07:54:31 »
Hi,
I currently use a DataHand keyboard which works really well with a Windows machine. But since it doesn't have a command key, it's a bit painful to use on the mac.
I thought one way to get around that would be to use a foot operated command key.
That would mean I'll need a single key / pedal based input device which can be programmed as a keyboard and fire the ⌘ key when pressed.
Any idea how I can do this?

Or any alternate suggestions?
Thanks

Offline quake4mhg

Re: Foot operated command key for mac ⌘
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 25 January 2014, 01:07:01 »
I'm using Scythe foot switch & stinky foot board for game & work. I don't know if they have mac drivers, you could ask them in their forum.
Sorry, can't help much.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 25 January 2014, 03:50:13 »
For the record, there are very cheap programmable foot switches on eBay, but their shape/action sucks, thus require modding.

Offline gzmask

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 12:38:53 »
I tried foot switches and they really suck. I'd just use software such as pckeyboard hack on osx to remap a useless key to command, which is very easy to find one on keyboard nowadays (capslock, I am looking at you)

Offline blackbox

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 14:33:48 »
I tried foot switches and they really suck. I'd just use software such as pckeyboard hack on osx to remap a useless key to command, which is very easy to find one on keyboard nowadays (capslock, I am looking at you)

+1. If you really want a footswitch, The simplest way to do it woud be to use a applekeyboard and solder on a 6.5 mm trs jack where the command switch should have been and put a footswitch in it.
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline dpanse

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 09:35:01 »
Unfortunately my datahand itself stopped working. The micro controller seems to have fried some pins. (http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=64792.msg1516339#msg1516339). So, on the flip side this has presented me the opportunity to try replacing the controller with a Teensy controller as suggested by our friends (http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=12212.0), and hopefully that also helps me reprogram the keys. If that option is open, then it'll be easy to introduce the command key into the mix.

Still waiting on feedback from gator456, so lets see if it's possible.

Thank you for your inputs guys..