Author Topic: Hiya  (Read 4069 times)

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
Hiya
« on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 08:30:05 »
I've been lurking & searching this forum forever. Finally signed up in September and just made my first mechanical keyboard purchase! Picked up a PURE CNC with Browns from tinlong117 and I cannot wait for it to get here. Anyway, just wanted to say Hi :)

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
Re: Hiya
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 12:40:55 »
I've been lurking & searching this forum forever. Finally signed up in September and just made my first mechanical keyboard purchase! Picked up a PURE CNC with Browns from tinlong117 and I cannot wait for it to get here. Anyway, just wanted to say Hi :)

Welcome Jocelyn!

I too am new to GH, but have already found it to be a very friendly and helpful community. I'm sure you'll no doubt find it to that way as well.

Congratulations on the KBT Pure CNC. I also ordered one from tinlong117 and have had it for about a week and really, really like it. The aluminum case along with the center mount on the board has a very solid feel to it.

I got mine with Cherry MX Blues and green LEDs. What color LEDs are on yours?

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Hiya
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 12:49:04 »
Welcome to Geekhack! :)
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 13:18:58 »
Welcome Jocelyn!

I too am new to GH, but have already found it to be a very friendly and helpful community. I'm sure you'll no doubt find it to that way as well.

Congratulations on the KBT Pure CNC. I also ordered one from tinlong117 and have had it for about a week and really, really like it. The aluminum case along with the center mount on the board has a very solid feel to it.

I got mine with Cherry MX Blues and green LEDs. What color LEDs are on yours?

Thank You. Green as well. I believe that is the only color tinlong117 has.

Welcome to Geekhack! :)

Thank You :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 19:28:37 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

A nice first mechanical keyboard :)

Any plans for custom keycaps?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 19:36:07 »
Welcome. How do you like the board? How does the difference compare to you? Do you like the Brown switches?

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
Re: Re: Hiya
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 19:51:27 »
Welcome. How do you like the board? How does the difference compare to you? Do you like the Brown switches?
Flood her with questions why dontcha! Meeces like girls? Orly?!

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 19:53:41 »
Is it a girl? I only try to get the new members to start jumping in to the community and for us to get to know them. It seems like a better thing to me than just "welcome". What do you say to that?

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 20:05:39 »
Smallfrys like girls too, nothing to be ashamed about:))

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 20:15:46 »
Ignore the moose and the fry, you should totally get custom key caps for your pure! 

Nifty number row - http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=36451.msg685103#msg685103
Nifty everything else - http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=37225.0

At let me tell you from someone who already has made their pure look like what those will make your's look like, it's totes worth it.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 20:19:29 »
Ignore the moose and the fry, you should totally get custom key caps for your pure! 

Nifty number row - http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=36451.msg685103#msg685103

At let me tell you from someone who already has made their pure look like what those will make your's look like, it's totes worth it.
Hey now...you can't be helpful...;) anyways, welcome to GeekHack:)

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 21:46:20 »
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 11:33:04 »
Wow I wasn't expecting all of these replies. I've probably read at least 100+ posts from each of you, prior to starting this thread. I almost never post in the New Members section of forums, but I got a friendly & mature feeling after doing so much searching & reading here over the past few months.  Oh and I still feel that way :)

Welcome to Geekhack!

A nice first mechanical keyboard :)

Any plans for custom keycaps?
Thank You. I'll actually be sharing this with my partner until the Poker S is released. I know nothing more than it being an original poker with backlit LED.
Custom keycaps? Looking and learning about them is how I spent quite a bit of my time after placing my order yesterday, so yes hehe. A friend of mine had reservations about me getting a pure or race due to key pattern/sizes with these keyboards, so I'll probably stick with 33 key sets (37 minus arrow keys).
Maybe I'll set my hopes a little higher when/if this Poker S is released.

It will not be here until next week. I've only briefly used mechanical keyboards of friends (CM/Corsair/Razer) and really enjoyed reds & browns, however I think I'll need to use the incoming pure w/browns for a little while until I'd feel comfy using reds. I hope that makes sense lol

Lol. Of course this will eventually happen, but I prefer to learn as much as I can before making any kind of purchase. 'Dumb consumerism' ranks very high in my dislikes of life and it also leads to less happiness for the individual. Anyway, I'm already quite a bit of an iem addict, so I can't see this ending any differently ;)

Hey now...you can't be helpful...;) anyways, welcome to GeekHack:)

Thank You SmallFry. I could be mistaken, but aren't you one of the "go to " people if I ever need some kind of repair?

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 11:46:45 »
snipsnip

Lol. Of course this will eventually happen, but I prefer to learn as much as I can before making any kind of purchase. 'Dumb consumerism' ranks very high in my dislikes of life and it also leads to less happiness for the individual. Anyway, I'm already quite a bit of an iem addict, so I can't see this ending any differently ;)

Well, keep in mind that both of those are going to close soon, so if you do like the look, be a little quick about it. 

ZOMG I <3 IEMs, too.  Tell me you have at least one custom pair from JHAudio or ultimateears.

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 12:14:09 »
Well, keep in mind that both of those are going to close soon, so if you do like the look, be a little quick about it. 

ZOMG I <3 IEMs, too.  Tell me you have at least one custom pair from JHAudio or ultimateears.

They're beautiful (Both B series number rows & RA2.0 clone), but I'm obsessed with waiting and being patient (I blame good parenting lol). I realize time is of the essence with group buys, but I'm a bit more easily content than your average person with things like this. Anyway, I'd like to enjoy my board (not even here yet hehe) for at least a few days prior to making any other purchases, though I'll be sure to look at your group buys in the future. As mentioned above, I see myself going a little crazier with keycap purchases after I own an upcoming Poker S. Until then, Thank You for all of your group buy efforts.

Customs? I wish lol. As mentioned above, my parents beat or I should say convinced me into the idea of delayed gratification and I try to use that with everything.
I've owned many iems and I'm sure I'll own customs at some point in the future, but for now I own a pair of Vsonic GR07 MKII and GR01. Probably a bit of a let down? huh? :p

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 13:57:00 »
If you're a SmallFry, does that make it easier to repair things...?

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 14:00:46 »
If you're a SmallFry, does that make it easier to repair things...?
Yup! Mwuhaha!

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 19:17:25 »
Howdy Jocelyn. Most of the folks are pretty nice here and can be very helpful. Enjoy your new hobby.

Mashby your avatar is pretty groovy. Slackware user or just a subgenius fool? :)
SSKs for everyone!

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 20:48:29 »
Mashby your avatar is pretty groovy. Slackware user or just a subgenius fool? :)

Slackware was the first distro of Linux I ever tried, but I think I prefer choosing the moniker of "subgenius fool". LOL

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 20:55:23 »
Google Bob Dobbs if you're not familiar with where Patrick Volkerding got the idea for the unofficial mascot. Later mash. Sorry to hijack your thread Jocelyn.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 11 January 2013, 12:15:36 »

They're beautiful (Both B series number rows & RA2.0 clone), but I'm obsessed with waiting and being patient (I blame good parenting lol). I realize time is of the essence with group buys, but I'm a bit more easily content than your average person with things like this. Anyway, I'd like to enjoy my board (not even here yet hehe) for at least a few days prior to making any other purchases, though I'll be sure to look at your group buys in the future. As mentioned above, I see myself going a little crazier with keycap purchases after I own an upcoming Poker S. Until then, Thank You for all of your group buy efforts.

Customs? I wish lol. As mentioned above, my parents beat or I should say convinced me into the idea of delayed gratification and I try to use that with everything.
I've owned many iems and I'm sure I'll own customs at some point in the future, but for now I own a pair of Vsonic GR07 MKII and GR01. Probably a bit of a let down? huh? :p

Everyone starts somewhere.  I started with Shure E3Cs with their stupid cable design and have bounced through a lot of the sub $200 ones before I finally bit the bullet and dropped the $400 on a pair of entry level JHaudio customs.  I figure now that it was $400 well spent since they fit my ear (no duh, what with the ear molds I had to mail them) perfect and sound awesome.

Doubt I'd spend the crazy money on the high end custom stuff though.

As to the custom caps, depending on how things land, I may end up buying a handful of popular kits as spares to sell later, so you'll probably be in luck.  Or you'll see one or two of the RA2.0 that these were inspired by floating the classifieds soon enough.