Author Topic: Build my first USB to USB Keyboard Converter  (Read 7551 times)

Offline yangdigi

Build my first USB to USB Keyboard Converter
« on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 00:23:40 »
Many thanks to hasu for https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=69169
sorry for my poor English.

I have zero experience to hardware or software exploration. But I still decided to build one and share it.
As it was my first USB to USB Keyboard Converter, I get USB Host Shield 2.0 and Arduino Leonardo. This two look bigger but they are simple to combine.

I'm in China and bought them from taobao at a very low price about 80rmb including shipping fee(a little less than $13). 2 days later I got them.

My OS is Window 10. So I install Cygwin first. Then install dfu-programmer in cygwin by simply follow the instruction "Simple install procedure for Unix/Linux/MAC". Last step is downloading avr8-gnu-toolchain-installer-3.5.0.84-win32.any.x86 and unzip it to cygwin folder.

All is ready for building firmware.
$ git clone git://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard.git
$ cd tmk_keyboard
$ git submodule init
$ git submodule update
$ cd converter/usb_usb
$ make
No error, I succeed to get a hex file "usb_usb.hex".

I didn't know how to flash hex files in Windows. I installed Arduino IDE but I still didn't know how to do with it. Luckly I got a simple tool “arduloader" and with it I uploaded usb_usb.hex to Arduino Leonardo.

I did some modifications to keymap.c to add my functions keys and layers. After uploading to Arduino Leonardo it works well with usb keyboard. What's more? I have tested it with a wireless keyboard(Fuhlen MK650 full size) and it works as well(but mouse doesn't work). 
113470-1

Now I plan to buy USB Host Shield 2.0 mini and Pro Micro to build a smaller one. I want to use it to build a wireless ergonomic keyboard like ergodox by use one Logitech Unifying receiver and two separated keyboard masters.

Thx for reading.
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 October 2015, 03:34:30 by yangdigi »

Offline yangdigi

Re: Build my first USB to USB Keyboard Converter
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 05:16:27 »
connect a usb hub to usb2usb converter and plug two keyboard to the hub. Only one keyboard can work.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 21:40:24 »
connect a usb hub to usb2usb converter and plug two keyboard to the hub. Only one keyboard can work.
This is a known limitation. It just means you have to build more converters!

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 22:49:10 »
I didn't test with two keyboards at all.
I'm not sure but you may need to two keyboard object instances to support two.

https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/blob/master/converter/usb_usb/main.cpp#L72