Author Topic: Headphone Thread.  (Read 1316201 times)

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
Re: Headphone Thread.
« Reply #2300 on: Sun, 09 March 2014, 13:01:14 »
I'm so excited.  My Project Ember tube amp comes tomorrow (I'll be pairing with my Mad Dogs), and my Bottlehead Crack comes Tuesday (I'll be pairing with my HD 650's).  I've read that these are both ~10 hour builds, so next week / weekend will be busy!

I'm sorta curious (as that's REALLY expensive), why did you get both?
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Dude

• Thwock!
« Reply #2301 on: Sun, 09 March 2014, 18:26:42 »

I'm building 2 setups.  The 650's are at home, since I have no problem with a nice open headphone.  The Mad Dogs are for work, since I need a closed headphone so I don't disturb others.

As far as why those 2 amps, the Crack is supposed to be incredible with the 650's, so I had to get it.  That amp won't work at all for the Mad Dogs though, since it's an OTL amp & the Mad Dogs are 32 ohm.  I've heard good things about the Project Ember (And it's not too crazy expensive), which is why I decided to give it a shot.
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 March 2014, 18:32:54 by Dude »

Realforce 87U Tenkeyless

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2302 on: Sun, 09 March 2014, 18:47:13 »

I'm building 2 setups.  The 650's are at home, since I have no problem with a nice open headphone.  The Mad Dogs are for work, since I need a closed headphone so I don't disturb others.

As far as why those 2 amps, the Crack is supposed to be incredible with the 650's, so I had to get it.  That amp won't work at all for the Mad Dogs though, since it's an OTL amp & the Mad Dogs are 32 ohm.  I've heard good things about the Project Ember (And it's not too crazy expensive), which is why I decided to give it a shot.

Ah, I don't see an issue really, but I liked hearing the Mad Dogs on Crack xD.  It's a decent amp indeed.

FYI Impedance: 50 ohm for the Mad Dog T50RP drivers

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #2303 on: Sun, 09 March 2014, 20:47:22 »
> People rockin' the HE-400s: what are you driving them with, if anything?

HE400 < Self-built O2 < iPod Mini (128 Gig modded, x2, because it takes over 200 GB for my entire library in lossless format).
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 March 2014, 20:53:30 by ricercar »
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #2304 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 11:50:49 »

HE400 < Self-built O2 < iPod Mini (128 Gig modded, x2, because it takes over 200 GB for my entire library in lossless format).

Audio-GD NFB-10, overkill but it's great.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2305 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 14:58:34 »

Audio-GD NFB-10, overkill but it's great.

I'll be getting one of these to try in the next day or two.  Too bad I just got rid of my he400s.  Oh well, I'm sure it'll rock my k712s/545/lcd2s

Offline Sinzz

« Reply #2306 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 20:43:01 »
Hi guys!

Currently looking into getting my first set of decent cans, but I'm stuck deciding between 3 greatly reviewed headphones. My budget is also roughly $150.

These are the three contenders right now:
  • Sony MDR7506
  • Onkyo ES-FC300
  • ATH-M50 or the m50x

What I know is that all three of these are superb headphones but each one has it's differences; Sony seems to produce the best sound, Onkyo has the best looks, and AudioTechnica has the "best of both worlds."

I know that the most popular one seems to be the m50's or at least from browsing the web. But I wanted to get the opinions of my fellow GHers to see what the pro's and cons are.
Keycool 84 MX Blue | Pure Pro | HHKB Pro 2

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2307 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 21:23:31 »
Another option would be to keep an eye on amazon for a pair of k550/551s.  I've seen as low as 120 for a pair, right now, lowest is about 150 through amazon warehouse.  I think they're a better option than the three listed and much more comfortable.

Also, about $50 more gets you he-300s, if you want something open backed.  I still prefer the k55x, though.  Super comfy, easy to mod, good looking.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #2308 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 02:43:58 »
People rockin' the HE-400s: what are you driving them with, if anything?

Schiit vali/modi stack....sounds good, a little sibilant, hella uncomfortable compared to my Beyer DT 990 premium 600ohm.

I would also recommend schiit headphone amplifiers. I have a dt770 on an schiit Asgard 2. Really solid construction and good sound.
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 March 2014, 02:45:46 by blackbox »
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2309 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 03:11:57 »
Enjoying #vintage AKGK240M (plugged into C&C BH). \m/

Offline blackbox

« Reply #2310 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 04:31:55 »
recently bought an presonus hp4 so that people can use the home cinema when its late.

http://www.presonus.com/products/hp4
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #2311 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 06:36:06 »
recently bought an presonus hp4 so that people can use the home cinema when its late.

Show Image

Very nice!  I'm a big fan of the Presonus gear, I've got a Central Station as a desktop headphone amp for when I want to switch back to digital.  Super clear sound.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #2312 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 07:00:39 »

Show Image

Very nice!  I'm a big fan of the Presonus gear, I've got a Central Station as a desktop headphone amp for when I want to switch back to digital.  Super clear sound.

Nice! Do you have some kind of home studio? That isnt exactly a typical thing to have in your home.

The LAN table!

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #2313 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 08:52:38 »
Nice! Do you have some kind of home studio? That isnt exactly a typical thing to have in your home.

Not a home studio, but I do have a regular online game session with my friends in Texas, so I have a desk mike, a small mixer, and some other random gear.  I actually got the Presonus based on reviews on the Head-fi.org forums, used units aren't too pricy on ebay.  They got a bad rep for having bad power supplies, but I cobbled together a 3-into-1 PS that should outlast me.   :p

When I was looking into digital audio options I also picked up a Behringer DEQ2496, which has a nice range of digital EQ tools.  Since I am partially deaf in one ear (I can't hear upper registers very well), I use the equalizer to shape the audio feed before sending it to the Presonus for the headphone amp.

And then I got a tube amp and dedicated DAC, so I guess I've gone a bit overboard for desktop audio.   ;D   

Offline blackbox

« Reply #2314 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 11:16:57 »

Not a home studio, but I do have a regular online game session with my friends in Texas, so I have a desk mike, a small mixer, and some other random gear.  I actually got the Presonus based on reviews on the Head-fi.org forums, used units aren't too pricy on ebay.  They got a bad rep for having bad power supplies, but I cobbled together a 3-into-1 PS that should outlast me.   :p

When I was looking into digital audio options I also picked up a Behringer DEQ2496, which has a nice range of digital EQ tools.  Since I am partially deaf in one ear (I can't hear upper registers very well), I use the equalizer to shape the audio feed before sending it to the Presonus for the headphone amp.

And then I got a tube amp and dedicated DAC, so I guess I've gone a bit overboard for desktop audio.   ;D

Nice! what dac and tube amp are you using?

The LAN table!

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #2315 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 11:24:25 »
Nice! what dac and tube amp are you using?

The DAC is a Meier Audio StageDAC, and the amplifier is the Darkvoice 336SE.  Very enjoyable, probably end-game for my audio needs.

(And not technically headphone-specific, so I'll refrain from getting too far off-topic!   ;D )

Offline Zombly

• Zombie Enthusiast
« Reply #2316 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 11:42:46 »
Debating which headphones to get ~100 for pc gaming, I use a clip on mic so a microphone isn't necessary I wanted to purchase the pro monitor headphones from Jaycar, but their site doesn't like my computer? I e-mailed them about my order saying I would purchase it if they could just do it up on my account for me properly, however no e-mail back in over 2 weeks so I gave up on them for the moment.

Any other ideas?
In the process of my custom Zombie board
[WTB MX Zombro's]

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #2317 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 11:50:38 »
Debating which headphones to get ~100 for pc gaming, I use a clip on mic so a microphone isn't necessary I wanted to purchase the pro monitor headphones from Jaycar, but their site doesn't like my computer? I e-mailed them about my order saying I would purchase it if they could just do it up on my account for me properly, however no e-mail back in over 2 weeks so I gave up on them for the moment.

Any other ideas?

I've been very happy with the ATH M50's, those seem to be running around $120 (I got them on a X-Mas sale for $99).  Conversely, I'd steer clear of the Turtle Beach offerings, my son got a pair as a gift and neither of us were impressed.  Sound is really tubby, accentuating the bass but poor mid and high-range quality.

If you're open to trying some IEMs, I can unreservedly recommend the MEElectronics Sport-Fi M6 In-Ear Headphones.  I got a pair of these to use while jogging, and I have to say they're so comfortable I find myself listening to them during throughout the day as well.  And the price can't be beat; $18.99 at Amazon.    :thumb:

Offline Zombly

• Zombie Enthusiast
« Reply #2318 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 14:54:21 »

Any other ideas?

I've been very happy with the ATH M50's, those seem to be running around $120 (I got them on a X-Mas sale for $99).  Conversely, I'd steer clear of the Turtle Beach offerings, my son got a pair as a gift and neither of us were impressed.  Sound is really tubby, accentuating the bass but poor mid and high-range quality.

If you're open to trying some IEMs, I can unreservedly recommend the MEElectronics Sport-Fi M6 In-Ear Headphones.  I got a pair of these to use while jogging, and I have to say they're so comfortable I find myself listening to them during throughout the day as well.  And the price can't be beat; $18.99 at Amazon.    :thumb:

Thanks I'll look into them, for earbuds I need to keep the sound out a bit more as my girlfriend is the only reason I'm thinking about headphones I'm not 100% convinced, as we may be moving and maybe my computer setup can just be put in a different spot, just when I'm on skype gaming with friends tends to get noisy..

I have been looking at the m50's there around ~150 in Canada, but maybe I'll just wait for a sale, I appreciate the information. :)
In the process of my custom Zombie board
[WTB MX Zombro's]

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #2319 on: Fri, 23 May 2014, 18:20:04 »
Nothing too fancy like you guys, but I finally got my Audio Technica ATH-AD900X! Compared to my ATH-A900X, the openness is so airy. Love it! Only other pair of open headphones I had to compare was my Koss Ksc75. Now to burn them in slowly and over time :)

Will upload photos when opportunity arises.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2320 on: Fri, 23 May 2014, 19:13:36 »
Nothing too fancy like you guys, but I finally got my Audio Technica ATH-AD900X! Compared to my ATH-A900X, the openness is so airy. Love it! Only other pair of open headphones I had to compare was my Koss Ksc75. Now to burn them in slowly and over time :)

Please take photos and don't claim burn-in exists!  If anything it's mentally adjusting to the headphones.

Offline Freebird

• SSRCG
« Reply #2321 on: Fri, 23 May 2014, 19:26:00 »
I have recently since got some PC350SE's for gaming, I think for a gaming headset they are awesome, such a joy to use compared the the Astro A40's I used to have.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #2322 on: Fri, 23 May 2014, 19:42:02 »

Please take photos and don't claim burn-in exists!  If anything it's mentally adjusting to the headphones.

Will do, good sir. These are absolutely one of the most beautiful pair of headphones I've owned and just overall! I want to get some good shots of this baby girl.

Not sure if burn-in is entirely true but what you say makes sense too! My ears definitely need to adjust, having come from mainly closed headphones.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2323 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 21:18:51 »
beautiful pair of headphones

I don't care what people say... I do sometimes care about what my audio equipment looks like.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #2324 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 21:23:57 »

I don't care what people say... I do sometimes care about what my audio equipment looks like.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Looks like larvae in the first picture.

¡Delicioso!

inb4 GrubPhonz or GrubBudz.
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 May 2014, 21:32:53 by PointyFox »

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2325 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 21:37:15 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Looks like larvae in the first picture.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

¡Delicioso!

inb4 GrubPhonz or GrubBudz.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #2326 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 21:38:28 »
 :))

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2327 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 00:50:59 »
Dat ear canal...

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #2328 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 01:13:40 »
AudioTechnica ATH-AD700 Fiio E11 and a Antilion Modmic 3.0 connected to a soundblaster z

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #2329 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 12:17:20 »
Still in love with my Mad dogs and Aune T1

Offline suby4me

« Reply #2330 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 12:25:04 »
using ATH - AD700 and Soundmagic HP100 with bravo 3 and Aune T1
current: poker 2 | HHKB pro2, Novatouch | off: das keyboard 4 | Ducky 3 TKL | death by coffee das keyboard mac ver. | razer blackwidow | whitefox | corsair K70 RGB

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #2331 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 12:53:04 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Dood, those look sweet! I definitely want to try something like those out sometime.

I really want to take pictures of my ATH-AD900X but can't until end of this month bc out of town. Sound great? Awesome! Look great too?! Even more awesome.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2332 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 18:54:22 »
I really, really wanted to abandon this hobby, but... I've gone crazy with headphones recently. I'd been kinda settled on HD 565 Ovation with beyer-like headband cushion (because comfort), HD 25-13 with rockboxed Sansa Clip Zip for portable use and HD 250 Linear II plugged into C&C BH for actual listening sessions. Now, I have
  • vintage AKG K240M,
  • Sennheiser PC320 in the mail,
  • the original old Beyerdynamic DT990 in the mail,
  • recently received Superlux HD668B and a modded Fostex T20RP Mk. II.
The fostex has awfully veiled... actually everything but bass—and some people seem to like it. That one was a mistake.

I heard lots of good things about superlux, thus I wanted to try one. For the price, it's a beast. And DAT BASE. It's probably the most powerful bass I've heard in a pair of headphones, while not sacrificing everything else. Much more powerful than HD 250 Linear II (!!!), although not nearly as delicate, but that's to be expected.

Ummm, I just want Sennheiser to support the HD 250 line once again; especially fix the cable. -_-

Offline linziyi

• The one with many questions
« Reply #2333 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 19:12:29 »
I am looking into some IEMs recently, only listen to classical music. Price range $100~200 Any suggestions?
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

"Much to learn you still have" --Yoda

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #2334 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 21:25:44 »
looking for some headphones, mainly classical with some electronic. Sub 100 perferably

Also need a cheap DAC to go with it

Offline anoxy

• Deal with it
« Reply #2335 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 21:26:33 »
I am looking into some IEMs recently, only listen to classical music. Price range $100~200 Any suggestions?
Only listen to classical music? Etymotic ER4.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2336 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 00:28:41 »
looking for some headphones, mainly classical with some electronic. Sub 100 perferably

audiotechnica ath-m50's are on massdrop quite often in the price range your discussing.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #2337 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 00:42:58 »

audiotechnica ath-m50's are on massdrop quite often in the price range your discussing.

Ended up getting a hd595 from classifieds for $45. Now just need a DAC

Offline linziyi

• The one with many questions
« Reply #2338 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 07:45:26 »
Only listen to classical music? Etymotic ER4.

How about HF5, how are they compare to ER4?
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

"Much to learn you still have" --Yoda

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #2339 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 07:54:28 »
Got a pair of S4's and had ATH900x. looking for IEM with more than neutral bass...Thinking IE8
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline sacratoy

• Twitch
« Reply #2340 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 12:18:32 »

My Beoplay H6 headset. I have a Schiit Stack (Magni;Modi) on the way. I have all that posted once they arrive.
Poker II

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2341 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 12:37:15 »
Show Image

My Beoplay H6 headset. I have a Schiit Stack (Magni;Modi) on the way. I have all that posted once they arrive.

How is the comfort and weight with that headset?

Offline UnlikeAny

« Reply #2342 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 12:41:55 »
Koss PortaPros, but my goal is to get Audio-Technica AD700x so I could have a wallhack for my ears.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #2343 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 13:06:49 »
Need a cheap dac to go with a sennheiser hd595, preferably under $75

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #2344 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 13:07:55 »

for the money just spend a little more and grab an odac.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #2345 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 13:26:32 »

What's the difference? I'm an audiophile noob

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2346 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 13:49:18 »

the difference in what?  You also need a headphone amplifier to go with your DAC.  DACs produce a line level output and the signal needs to be further amplified.

the odac is not much more expensive than $75 and it has benchmark level performance.  That's why he suggested it to you.  Go do some research.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #2347 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 13:58:03 »

the difference in what?  You also need a headphone amplifier to go with your DAC.  DACs produce a line level output and the signal needs to be further amplified.

the odac is not much more expensive than $75 and it has benchmark level performance.  That's why he suggested it to you.  Go do some research.

Hello pacifist. I think you wonderd what the difference between an DAC and an ODAC is. DAC is a digital to analog converter and the ODAC is a product from mayflower electronics consisting of a dac and a headphone amplifier in one box. Sorry if I missinterpreted your answer.

The LAN table!

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #2348 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 14:10:59 »

I am a n00b myself, but from my little experience, I would suggest to not buy a dac until you have the money to buy a decent one that you will keep. While a DAC is important to improve your sound, if you are on a budget I would recommend to go one step at a time. I was able to use my DT 880 600 ohm directly from my motherboard at home until I got a Aune T1 and even if I agree that the sound improved when I used the Aune, it was still a good sound out of the motherboard and we are talking of a 600 ohm headphones. At job I have 32 ohms headphones and I use my laptop for it and I must agree that the soundcard of the laptop seems lesser than the one in my motherboard at home, yet I very rarely suffer heavily from it (except some songs where I can hear a click sound).

Just my own experience on it.
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2349 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 14:11:07 »
Hello pacifist. I think you wonderd what the difference between an DAC and an ODAC is. DAC is a digital to analog converter and the ODAC is a product from mayflower electronics consisting of a dac and a headphone amplifier in one box. Sorry if I missinterpreted your answer.

blackbox, I would refrain from telling pacifist so much without having all of your facts straight.  He will gladly use your information as fact instead of doing his own research.

Mayflower electronics is one of the MANY small businesses who use NwAvGuy's ODAC design.

The ODAC is known as the objective digital to analog converter.  It does not contain a combo amplifier.

The combo amplifier and ODAC is called an O2 + ODAC combo.

The same device can be purchased from a number of small electronics companies, most notably JDS labs.