Author Topic: Headphone Thread.  (Read 1316147 times)

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
Re: Headphone Thread.
« Reply #2700 on: Tue, 11 November 2014, 07:08:50 »
Alright guys. I need some advice. I have an opportunity to trade my T90s and $250 for Hifiman HE-560s. Is it worth it? The amp/dac I would be pairing it with is the CEntrance DACmini CX.

I really did not like the T90 as I mentioned before =S

But that deal doesn't seem the greatest to me either

How so? What about the deal isn't fair? The T90s are about ~400ish + $250 cash and then the HE560's he was asking for $735 ish for a straight sale.

Personally I love the T90s detail and clarity. My only issue with them is that they lack some musicality when paired with the DACmini.

I find other headphones have just as good clarity and whatnot but are still musical.

And last I saw the T90 they were over $500 new?

Maybe I'm mistaken in the prices that I remember
They are both used. But I got my T90s for just under 400 shipped.

Just consider going used rates first IMO

I don't think the HE560 sells for that much used but any who, if you really want to change to a 560 then maybe the simplicity of a trade is more worthwhile in the end

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #2701 on: Tue, 11 November 2014, 08:09:13 »
Oh man, just like keyboards, this headphones bug has got me bad! In addition to my recently acquired HD800, I'd already gotten an Audio Technica ATH-AD700X with a HD555 that I'd bought quite a few years back. Now, I've committed to buying two used cans -
1. Beyerdynamic DT990 600 Ohm Premium
2. HiFiman HE400i

Best part is, I'd gotten them for a total of 552USD which I think to be a great price (if it isn't, don't rain on my parade.....puh-lease!  ;D ). The HiFiman HE400i will come with its own stand (not part of standard package) and I'll be ordering a Walnut omega stand for the HD800, as well as two plain metal ones for the HD555 and the DT990. Can't wait get 'em! :D As usual, I will be back with pics when I have 'em. :thumb:
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 November 2014, 08:10:50 by PadawanGeek »

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #2702 on: Tue, 11 November 2014, 08:22:02 »
Oh man, just like keyboards, this headphones bug has got me bad! In addition to my recently acquired HD800, I'd already gotten an Audio Technica ATH-AD700X with a HD555 that I'd bought quite a few years back. Now, I've committed to buying two used cans -
1. Beyerdynamic DT990 600 Ohm Premium
2. HiFiman HE400i

Best part is, I'd gotten them for a total of 552USD which I think to be a great price (if it isn't, don't rain on my parade.....puh-lease!  ;D ). The HiFiman HE400i will come with its own stand (not part of standard package) and I'll be ordering a Walnut omega stand for the HD800, as well as two plain metal ones for the HD555 and the DT990. Can't wait get 'em! :D As usual, I will be back with pics when I have 'em. :thumb:

Be careful not to chip the paint on the HD800 T.T

When I got my pair it was already a bit damaged and I rubbed it the wrong way and it got worse for the paint =(

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #2703 on: Tue, 11 November 2014, 08:37:50 »
Be careful not to chip the paint on the HD800 T.T

When I got my pair it was already a bit damaged and I rubbed it the wrong way and it got worse for the paint =(
Yeah, whaddup with Senn? One'd expect better, or more durable paintjob for such an expensive pair of cans.... :mad:

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #2704 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 21:02:47 »
Two more pairs of cans to add to my headphones collection...

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #2705 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 21:14:02 »
Well I ordered the AKG k551 for $170 CDN from Canada Computers. Hopefully I got my order in time before all the stock was depleted

Offline blackbox

« Reply #2706 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 21:14:21 »
Two more pairs of cans to add to my headphones collection...
Show Image

Sweet!
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline blackbox

« Reply #2707 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 21:19:19 »
Well I ordered the AKG k551 for $170 CDN from Canada Computers. Hopefully I got my order in time before all the stock was depleted

Congrats! Let's hope so. I ordered a print server for work and when I checked the order later the product page was a 404 page and it was 2-3 months before the product would be available again.
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #2708 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 21:27:01 »

Congrats! Let's hope so. I ordered a print server for work and when I checked the order later the product page was a 404 page and it was 2-3 months before the product would be available again.

As you post that my order is upgraded to confirmed

Though unfortunately I assume I won't be receiving it before monday. These earpods are annoying

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2709 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 21:43:14 »
I think I'm getting back into schiit gear and I'm trying to find a good second headphone to go with the th900.  I thought about the soundmagic that are on MD right now, but the QC issues there make me more than hesitant.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #2710 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 01:02:54 »
I think I'm getting back into schiit gear and I'm trying to find a good second headphone to go with the th900.  I thought about the soundmagic that are on MD right now, but the QC issues there make me more than hesitant.

Any specific model your are thinking about?

The LAN table!

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2711 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 10:27:22 »

Of schiit?  bifrost uber and asgard 2.  Of second headphone?  I've kicked around about every decent option available for $250 or less.  Right now, it's up in the air between hd598, k272mk2,sony ma900, soundmagic hp200 and pioneer se-a1000
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 November 2014, 10:30:17 by tjcaustin »

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #2712 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 11:20:57 »

Of schiit?  bifrost uber and asgard 2.  Of second headphone?  I've kicked around about every decent option available for $250 or less.  Right now, it's up in the air between hd598, k272mk2,sony ma900, soundmagic hp200 and pioneer se-a1000

What kind of sound signature are you looking for? Out of that list it seems like the 598 might be the most opposite your TH900. Not sure if you want to go that route though. Also HD598s probably have the best comfort out of that list.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2713 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 11:26:53 »

What kind of sound signature are you looking for? Out of that list it seems like the 598 might be the most opposite your TH900. Not sure if you want to go that route though. Also HD598s probably have the best comfort out of that list.

I want comfort and something different than the th900 so I have a reason to wear them.  I'm leaning more to the sennheiser or the sony at the moment. 

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2714 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 11:29:57 »
What about beyer? Dt990s are extremely comfortable! (Even with my big head)

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #2715 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 11:35:27 »

Beyers are very comfortable I use the T90s myself and the HD598s both are extremely comfortable. I haven't been able to try anything close to the TH900 but i mean since they are closed and (planar magnetic?) they would be a huge contrast the open dynamic drivers of the HD598.

TJ what kind of music do you usually listen to?

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2716 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 11:47:22 »

Beyers are very comfortable I use the T90s myself and the HD598s both are extremely comfortable. I haven't been able to try anything close to the TH900 but i mean since they are closed and (planar magnetic?) they would be a huge contrast the open dynamic drivers of the HD598.

TJ what kind of music do you usually listen to?

I have a pair of dt990 that I'm trying to sell because I'm not super into how they sound.  Also, the th900 are dynamic drivers, too.  They just use a high tesla magnet. I mostly listen to 90s to early 00s rock and rap with branches into modern classical, electronica and I'm sure I'm forgetting about 3 others.  Most of my preferred music has a strong low end, though.

I wish I could be ok with twothree (I should probably count my jh13pros here...) kilobuck headphones.  I'd just have a pair of lcd2, hd800 or oppo pm-1 (maybe 2) if I could do that.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #2717 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 12:31:31 »
Hmm yeah the t90s are supposedly just a much stronger 990 but the hd598 definitely should cover your basis in my opinion. It will definitely have a lot less bass since they are open and have a treble forward approach. But their sound stage is awesome. Do you consider yourself a bass head?

As for end game gear. I would love the LCD 3 or LCD X and the hd800.

Offline Freebird

• SSRCG
« Reply #2718 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 13:23:29 »
I presume this is probably the best place to put this, but I have been messing about with my cans since getting myself a dac amp. There doesn't seem to be anywhere that says about what PC350SE's are like amped up but my god to me it was such a night and day difference. I was told I probably wouldn't notice much but its insane! So much fuller throughout the whole range and there is a decent bass presence and unamped they are very flat and leave much to be desired. I was preferring my HD555's with the "595 mod" before having an amp, but now they sound rubbish to me in comparison to the PC350SE's.

I had pre-emptively ordered better cans in preparation for my amp and dac (AKG Q701's). If they sound better than these PC350SE's I will honestly lose my mind. I am relatively new to this audio stuff so take whatever I say with a pinch of salt.

Does anyone here own the AKG's? What are your experience of them? I heard they are super accurate and have a very wide sound stage.

Is it bad I have been looking at buying some Beyerdynamics too? I just don't know which to look more actively at the DT770, DT880 or DT990.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #2719 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 13:35:31 »
I presume this is probably the best place to put this, but I have been messing about with my cans since getting myself a dac amp. There doesn't seem to be anywhere that says about what PC350SE's are like amped up but my god to me it was such a night and day difference. I was told I probably wouldn't notice much but its insane! So much fuller throughout the whole range and there is a decent bass presence and unamped they are very flat and leave much to be desired. I was preferring my HD555's with the "595 mod" before having an amp, but now they sound rubbish to me in comparison to the PC350SE's.

I had pre-emptively ordered better cans in preparation for my amp and dac (AKG Q701's). If they sound better than these PC350SE's I will honestly lose my mind. I am relatively new to this audio stuff so take whatever I say with a pinch of salt.

Does anyone here own the AKG's? What are your experience of them? I heard they are super accurate and have a very wide sound stage.

Is it bad I have been looking at buying some Beyerdynamics too? I just don't know which to look more actively at the DT770, DT880 or DT990.

For the beyer dt series. 770 is closed for bassy music, 880 is the all rounder, and 990 is open with a supposed v shaped sound sig. Can't go wrong with any of those choices in my opinion.

Offline Freebird

• SSRCG
« Reply #2720 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 13:43:02 »

For the beyer dt series. 770 is closed for bassy music, 880 is the all rounder, and 990 is open with a supposed v shaped sound sig. Can't go wrong with any of those choices in my opinion.

Thanks for the reply, that is a decent summary and pretty much seems to be the general consensus as other things I have read. I suppose I need to see how I fair with my AKG's really (bloody massdrop taking ages to deliver). I should have access to at least one of the DT series of headphones as a friend has a recording studio, I think I will be cheeky and borrow a pair and see what they are like.

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #2721 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 19:57:36 »

I own the Q701 and have used it extensively. It has a very revealing sound and picks out details well. The soundstage is spacious and is wider than it is deep. It is a little on the brighter side of neutral. It has some problematic peaks around the upper mids that can be glaring with certain tracks but this can be tamed somewhat with a good source. The sound is rather dry (not necessarily a bad thing if you don't like a wet sound) and feels a bit grainy. The low end is slightly recessed for what I would consider neutral which can lead to a bit of a thin sound but it is well extended. The timbre is much more realistic than some warmer headphones.

TLDR: it's a very neutral, detailed sounding headphone with a great soundstage and a killer price tag.

I don't have any experience with the Beyers so I can't comment on those.
Mira SE  |  Clueboard  |   B.face  |  HHKB Type-S

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #2722 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 20:48:36 »
A lot has to do with the DAC/AMP used as well, as I'd recently discovered. My HD800 and Beyer DT990/600 are generally said to be somewhat bright, and if the source has lots of high frequency, they would sound a tad bright for most. Now, the iFi Micro iDSD (will be getting a Nano iDSD + Micro iCAN in a week or two) has been described as having a neutral sound that tilts somewhat to warm. With the iDSD + HD800 (and DT990/600), I don't find the cans to be bright at all, oh for sure the treble is there but doesn't annoy at all, quite pleasant actually.

With the HE400i which is said to be neutral, I find the sound to be veiled, treble and mids seems to be somewhat recessed, more so on the treble. I'm returning the HE400i, NOT because of this (plugging it in directly to my Asus Xonar Phoebus Solo or SB ZX resolved the veil issue) but due to a cosmetic defect that put me off. Will prolly get a HE400 instead as I understand it to be somewhat V shaped, the iDSD should lessen the treble while I don't mind a little 'oomph' bass-wise.

I've been trying out the DT990/600 and I'm actually quite taken with the sound, mild emphasis on the bass and treble, good soundstage (less width but good depth....at least that's how it sound like to me). As for comfort, I find the DT990 to be very comfortable and light and I can wear it all day long (I do have a rather small head as I'm Asian). I can only imagine what a T1 brings to the table....I can get a T1 for about 600USD and am considering that as well instead of going with the HE400. Thing is, I'd like to try a well regarded planar mag cans and it seems I'm left with either the HiFiman HE560 (and higher) or Audeze LCD2 (and higher). I already blew a wad on the HD800, so the thought of blowing even more is somewhat.....daunting.
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 November 2014, 20:51:26 by PadawanGeek »

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #2723 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 21:34:38 »
A lot has to do with the DAC/AMP used as well, as I'd recently discovered. My HD800 and Beyer DT990/600 are generally said to be somewhat bright, and if the source has lots of high frequency, they would sound a tad bright for most. Now, the iFi Micro iDSD (will be getting a Nano iDSD + Micro iCAN in a week or two) has been described as having a neutral sound that tilts somewhat to warm. With the iDSD + HD800 (and DT990/600), I don't find the cans to be bright at all, oh for sure the treble is there but doesn't annoy at all, quite pleasant actually.

With the HE400i which is said to be neutral, I find the sound to be veiled, treble and mids seems to be somewhat recessed, more so on the treble. I'm returning the HE400i, NOT because of this (plugging it in directly to my Asus Xonar Phoebus Solo or SB ZX resolved the veil issue) but due to a cosmetic defect that put me off. Will prolly get a HE400 instead as I understand it to be somewhat V shaped, the iDSD should lessen the treble while I don't mind a little 'oomph' bass-wise.

I've been trying out the DT990/600 and I'm actually quite taken with the sound, mild emphasis on the bass and treble, good soundstage (less width but good depth....at least that's how it sound like to me). As for comfort, I find the DT990 to be very comfortable and light and I can wear it all day long (I do have a rather small head as I'm Asian). I can only imagine what a T1 brings to the table....I can get a T1 for about 600USD and am considering that as well instead of going with the HE400. Thing is, I'd like to try a well regarded planar mag cans and it seems I'm left with either the HiFiman HE560 (and higher) or Audeze LCD2 (and higher). I already blew a wad on the HD800, so the thought of blowing even more is somewhat.....daunting.

Out of all the headphones I've owned, I find the HD800 responds the most to changes in the source/chain. Using a source with different characteristics can really fine tune the HD800 into the exact sound you are looking for.

If you can get a T1 for 600USD you should absolutely go for it. That's an amazing price for an amazing set of cans. I have been considering purchasing a pair myself.

I haven't heard the HE560 but I do have the HE500 and I absolutely love it. It's a little on the warmer side of neutral but does not sound veiled. It has a satisfying impact in the low end and extends very deep. The mids are what really make it great. It has this beautiful, buttery smooth sound that makes it a joy to listen to. Female vocals are amazing. It's not quite as accurate or "realistic" as the HD800 but it is very fun. I really love the HE500 with EDM/trance/chill. Best part is with the release of some of HiFiMAN's newest offerings, you can get the HE500 brand new for around 500USD. That is an absolute steal when you consider it made its debut at 1000USD.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #2724 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 22:23:39 »
I haven't heard the HE560 but I do have the HE500 and I absolutely love it. It's a little on the warmer side of neutral but does not sound veiled. It has a satisfying impact in the low end and extends very deep. The mids are what really make it great. It has this beautiful, buttery smooth sound that makes it a joy to listen to. Female vocals are amazing. It's not quite as accurate or "realistic" as the HD800 but it is very fun. I really love the HE500 with EDM/trance/chill. Best part is with the release of some of HiFiMAN's newest offerings, you can get the HE500 brand new for around 500USD. That is an absolute steal when you consider it made its debut at 1000USD.
Great! :thumb: Now I can add the HE500 as a possible alternative to the Beyer T1, only snag is, there's hardly any available in my neck fo the woods. I can try online, but sometimes, the seller ships domestically only (US).

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #2725 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 07:41:36 »
So I've just committed to buying a set of Voxoa bluetooth earbuds so I don't have to keep taking my Sennheiser HD218s to the gym...

I've already got a set of ATH M-50s of course, and I bought a little DAC from mkawa a while ago but I have no idea what to do with it. It's got an optical in which I would like to use, but the only optical cable I've got has what looks like a 3.5mm jack end on it =/

I have no idea what the DAC is but I know it was a community made one somewhere. And as you can see the switch on the front is broken :(

More

I don't know if I should get another one at some point...
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Freebird

• SSRCG
« Reply #2726 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 11:23:54 »
Got my Q701's in the post today! I must say I was quite unimpressed with them initially, I was expecting a more night and day difference between my PC350SE's....  However after about 5 mins of listening to music I changed my mind, they are a vast improvement.

I spent a few hours listening to some lossless stuff like Fleetwood Mac and Pink Floyd, then some 320kbs stuff (varying genres). Started to read more into the bass mod as I did notice that there wasn't a huge amount shining through. It was there but didn't seem to have the body I would have expected. I took the plunge and did the bass mod and now it sounds much more pleasing from the bass point of view and from what I can tell it has not done anything/much to the rest of the range. Bear in mind I wasn't expecting to notice much difference and it was really quite a change for the better for me.

One thing I will also share, I first thought they were actually quite comfy to wear. However after a few hours I have noticed that headband feels like it is trying to burrow a hole through the top of my skull. I think it won't be long before I do something to sort that out. I did read that most people find them very uncomfortable after sustained periods of time. I would have thought AKG should have addressed this issue as it is quite a large design flaw! Sennheiser are the only other brand I have really had any experience with but both my HD555's and PC350SE's are so comfortable to wear you don't really notice how long you have had them on for at all.

Anyway here is a potato :)

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #2727 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 11:50:07 »
Got my Q701's in the post today! I must say I was quite unimpressed with them initially, I was expecting a more night and day difference between my PC350SE's....  However after about 5 mins of listening to music I changed my mind, they are a vast improvement.

I spent a few hours listening to some lossless stuff like Fleetwood Mac and Pink Floyd, then some 320kbs stuff (varying genres). Started to read more into the bass mod as I did notice that there wasn't a huge amount shining through. It was there but didn't seem to have the body I would have expected. I took the plunge and did the bass mod and now it sounds much more pleasing from the bass point of view and from what I can tell it has not done anything/much to the rest of the range. Bear in mind I wasn't expecting to notice much difference and it was really quite a change for the better for me.

One thing I will also share, I first thought they were actually quite comfy to wear. However after a few hours I have noticed that headband feels like it is trying to burrow a hole through the top of my skull. I think it won't be long before I do something to sort that out. I did read that most people find them very uncomfortable after sustained periods of time. I would have thought AKG should have addressed this issue as it is quite a large design flaw! Sennheiser are the only other brand I have really had any experience with but both my HD555's and PC350SE's are so comfortable to wear you don't really notice how long you have had them on for at all.

Show Image

Simple. Law of diminishing returns! The PC350s are actually decent headphones so I wouldn't expect any huge difference between them and the Q701 besides sound signature.

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #2728 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 13:31:12 »

Show Image

The Q701's headband is a common problem because of the "padded" bumps on the underside. I cut the four center bumps off of mine and stitched a flat piece of leather across the area where they were. Huge improvement.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2729 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 14:28:27 »
So I've just committed to buying a set of Voxoa bluetooth earbuds so I don't have to keep taking my Sennheiser HD218s to the gym...

I've already got a set of ATH M-50s of course, and I bought a little DAC from mkawa a while ago but I have no idea what to do with it. It's got an optical in which I would like to use, but the only optical cable I've got has what looks like a 3.5mm jack end on it =/

I have no idea what the DAC is but I know it was a community made one somewhere. And as you can see the switch on the front is broken :(

More
Show Image

Show Image

That looks like a toslink to mini optical cable.  If you have an optical port somewhere on your pc or mac equivalent, pick up whatever length you need of something like - .

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2730 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 14:55:11 »

More
Show Image

Show Image

That looks like a toslink to mini optical cable.  If you have an optical port somewhere on your pc or mac equivalent, pick up whatever length you need of something like -
Show Image

I would actually recommend going with the coax. Personally I always get poorer quality sound via optical, like it's playing on a bumpy road. You don't hear it after a while, but IMO coax is more stable and the sound quality difference in negligible when compared to optical. Just one man's opinion on reliability.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #2731 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 15:09:27 »

More
Show Image

Show Image

That looks like a toslink to mini optical cable.  If you have an optical port somewhere on your pc or mac equivalent, pick up whatever length you need of something like -
Show Image

I would actually recommend going with the coax. Personally I always get poorer quality sound via optical, like it's playing on a bumpy road. You don't hear it after a while, but IMO coax is more stable and the sound quality difference in negligible when compared to optical. Just one man's opinion on reliability.

I thought USB was generally regarded as the stable? I currently just switched to optical since the bit decoding goes up to 192 on my DACmini. I was using USB before and I haven't heard any noticeable differences.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #2732 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 15:17:57 »

More
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Yeah, I thought it was a bit weird, I didn't know which end to plug into where because both my MOBO and DAC have the same socket =/

Ah ok, they do seem like a little bit flimsy to plug in. The actual optical plug end falls out pretty easy.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #2733 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 08:52:24 »
I have no problems with toslink (optical) but shure, coax works too.

The LAN table!

Offline The Mad Professor

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #2734 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 20:32:58 »
So after my debacle with Blaupunkt headphones, I finally picked up a new pair of Polk Audio Buckles.

I know what you're gonna say... "Why Polk? Why not Sennheisers or Denons?"

Well, these are strictly for work, and they sound good. No way I'm gonna bring a pair of Sennheisers or Denons into work and leave them there.
Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?" - Schlock Mercenary

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #2735 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 21:02:58 »
So... Getting tired of buying "gaming" headsets.
I bought a siberia elite, sounds nice, **** mic. EQ is nice on it though.
I'm looking for a set of headphones to replace this. Already chose the mod mic 4.0 to go with a new set of headphones.
I've been looking at California Headphones Silverado, and things for about $100. Maybe I can squeeze a bit more of that budget. Anyone know any that are good? EDM, house, and wub wub type music? Some rock, rap and gaming also.
Is it necessary to run a DAC, external sound card, or stuff like that?
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 November 2014, 21:07:00 by HUNTERANGEL121 »

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2736 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 21:11:35 »
So... Getting tired of buying "gaming" headsets.
I bought a siberia elite, sounds nice, **** mic. EQ is nice on it though.
I'm looking for a set of headphones to replace this. Already chose the mod mic 4.0 to go with a new set of headphones.
I've been looking at California Headphones Silverado, and things for about $100. Maybe I can squeeze a bit more of that budget. Anyone know any that are good? EDM, house, and wub wub type music? Some rock, rap and gaming also.

ATH-M50
monoprice 8323
creative aurvana live
either of these used hp50 - http://www.head-fi.org/t/741835/nad-viso-hp50-headphones or http://www.head-fi.org/t/742830/fs-akg-702-w-balanced-recable-nah-viso-hp-50 (seriously, if you can stretch the extra $50 these are well worth it)

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #2737 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 21:18:15 »
I use ATH M50s with a Blue Yeti. It's awesome. So much better than the pair of Astros I used to use before. Comfier and the sound quality is better.

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #2738 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 21:44:04 »
Not into used headphones lol.
Looking into ath m50x, maybe the monoprice, but I really like the aesthetics of the Silverado lol.
Do any of these need amps or DACs?
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 November 2014, 21:52:15 by HUNTERANGEL121 »

Offline SpikeBolt

• √(4) != -2
« Reply #2739 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 09:19:17 »
I'm currently using Philips Fidelio X1, they're really really good. Got them at a good price now that the X2 are out. Would recommend.

For skype I use the VModa Boompro. I don't know if it's better than Modmic but it's more convenient and doesn't require any sticking.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #2740 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 11:39:37 »
Not into used headphones lol.
Looking into ath m50x, maybe the monoprice, but I really like the aesthetics of the Silverado lol.
Do any of these need amps or DACs?

I've found that even lower end audiophile headphones still improve with a better dac / amp

You don't really need it though, they'll all perform fine with even a phone

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #2741 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 12:22:54 »
Oh thanks...
I'll be reading into this stuff, kind of new to audio. Saw the Asus u7... Any good?

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #2742 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 12:25:12 »
Oh thanks...
I'll be reading into this stuff, kind of new to audio. Saw the Asus u7... Any good?

Personally I've been interested a lot more in the AIO devices that have portable player capability and usb audio as well. The main one right now is the fiio stuff like the x3/x5

the only asus audio product I owned was the U3 and it was pretty good for the price but if you're looking for simplicity I definitely recommend the fiio products as they generally do very well at the prices they charge
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 November 2014, 12:38:13 by GL1TCH3D »

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #2743 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 13:12:12 »

Oh thanks...

Personally I've been interested a lot more in the AIO devices that have portable player capability and usb audio as well. The main one right now is the fiio stuff like the x3/x5

the only asus audio product I owned was the U3 and it was pretty good for the price but if you're looking for simplicity I definitely recommend the fiio products as they generally do very well at the prices they charge

Hmm...
AIO? Atomic intermolecular overear headphones?

I don't exactly need portability as this would be mainly for my desktop :)

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2744 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 13:24:27 »

Oh thanks...

Hmm...

AIO - All In One

A digital audio player that doubles as a DAC and headphone amplifier.  The holy trifecta.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #2745 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 15:10:29 »

Oh thanks...

Hmm...

AIO - All In One

A digital audio player that doubles as a DAC and headphone amplifier.  The holy trifecta.
Oh lol.
I might end up buying a U7, or fiio, with an ath m50. Its all kind of pricey lol.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #2746 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 16:35:40 »

Oh thanks...

Hmm...

AIO - All In One

Oh lol.
I might end up buying a U7, or fiio, with an ath m50. Its all kind of pricey lol.

Deciding on a budget you're comfortable with is better than overspending and having to sell or have regrets later

You can always check out the used market. An m50 (not x) would be around $75 used at fair value depending on usage and an x3 as low as $120 which would put you at around $200+shipping as a realistic number if you keep your eyes open.

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #2747 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 18:25:05 »
Okay, question time:

Beyerdynamic DT880 Premiums or Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros?

As an aside, this is a cross-section of the music I listen to:

Lindsey Stirling - Crystallize (Orchestral Version)
Lindsey Stirling - Roundtable Rival
La Traviata - Brindisi
Turandot - Nessun Dorma
Il Barbiere di Siviglia - Largo al Factotum
Carmina Burana - O Fortuna
Carmen - Votre Toast
The Planets - Jupiter, the Bringer of Jollity
The Planets - Mars, the Bringer of War
Ravel - Bolero
Grieg - Peer Gynt
The Mediaeval Baebes - Temptasyon
Tron: Legacy - The Grid
Nox Arcana - Spellbound
John Williams - The Raiders March
Pinkzebra - Larger Than Life
Can't Stop Won't Stop - Up Up and Away
Down With Webster - Everybody's Angel
Billy Idol - Cradle of Love
Genesis - Land of Confusion
Maynard Ferguson - Birdland
Glenn Miller - In The Mood
Norman Greenbaum - Spirit in the Sky
Kenny Loggins - Danger Zone
Queen - One Vision
Twisted Sister - We're Not Gonna Take It
Gerard McMann - Cry Little Sister

Which pair should I get?
Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?" - Schlock Mercenary

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2748 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 18:58:35 »
Are you going to be using them only at your computer or outside too?

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #2749 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 19:09:41 »
Only indoors or on my property. I have earbuds for mobile usage.