Author Topic: Headphone Thread.  (Read 1316217 times)

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
Re: Headphone Thread.
« Reply #2900 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 17:49:27 »
IEMs broke today :( what do

Upgrade  :p

I told him it's time to scrape up the cash for CIEMs, even if entry level.

Noble audio customs?!?!?!  ;D

That's one of the two I'm recommending him.  Either 3c or UE 4pros.  Basically, the two companies I would choose if my jh13pros were destroyed or stolen because jh customer service gives me a frowny face.

Basically, Swag, or save $50?

What's $50 to you?  A night without pizza and wings?

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #2901 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 23:40:31 »
Looking for recommendations on a $40 -$80 set of over ear headphones that will sound good without an amp.  My father in law wants a set and wants good sound while still being comfortable while he walks in the morning (ie: no giant cans). 

I was thinking of the lower end Audio Technicas or the Koss DJ100s. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #2902 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 00:28:29 »
Looking for recommendations on a $40 -$80 set of over ear headphones that will sound good without an amp.  My father in law wants a set and wants good sound while still being comfortable while he walks in the morning (ie: no giant cans). 

Kind of hard to do an over ear that isn't "giant". Also if he is going out walking then I would recommend an on ear since he will be moving. Im actually tempted to recommend the Koss Porta Pros.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #2903 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 00:57:21 »

Kind of hard to do an over ear that isn't "giant". Also if he is going out walking then I would recommend an on ear since he will be moving. Im actually tempted to recommend the Koss Porta Pros.

That was my first thought as well with the portas, great headphones regardless of price.  I will start looking at on ear as well then.  I don't think he would be into the 80's styling of the Porta Pros.  He is looking for something a little sleeker, but came to me after admitting that the only thing he knew was "Beats".  I said No!

wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #2904 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 14:51:02 »

That was my first thought as well with the portas, great headphones regardless of price.  I will start looking at on ear as well then.  I don't think he would be into the 80's styling of the Porta Pros.  He is looking for something a little sleeker, but came to me after admitting that the only thing he knew was "Beats".  I said No!

You may want to check out the Velodyne vFree headphones, as they meet several of the stated criteria: on-ear, wireless (Bluetooth), and not too flashy (quite sleek, actually).  They're also in the suggested price range, Amazon has them for $70.

I like the sound, but prefer the over-the-ear or in-ear, since I wear glasses.  Good bass, without sounding tubby, and relatively light weight.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #2905 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 22:00:34 »
I'm in the mood for something with better bass. Yes, my LCD2 does bass well enough, but too lush sounding but has a rather narrow soundstage that, well, compared to even the DT990/600 (to me anyway). I'm thinking HD700 or HE500, the former has great soundstage, better attack and decay with a more extended bass compared to the HD800. The HE500 would be a fun can for gaming and movies, but I'm concerned that it'd sound too much like the LCD2. Is the HD700 different enough from the HD800 to justify a purchase? I believe I can get a HD700 for about 500USD with one more year of warranty left.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #2906 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 00:59:01 »
Any of you guys have thoughts on the LH labs geek pulse?

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2907 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 02:13:01 »

Intrigued but if it's like the geek out, it's not for my ears' long term health.  Was sharp enough on the top end to give me like a short term tinnitus-like ringing in my right ear.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #2908 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 13:09:17 »

Intrigued but if it's like the geek out, it's not for my ears' long term health.  Was sharp enough on the top end to give me like a short term tinnitus-like ringing in my right ear.

Basically from what I can find, the Geek Pulse is just a larger (desktop) version of the Geek Out. Well at least the base model is. Seriously those guys seem like they are going way over the top with all their "upgrades" and stuff.

I am interested in it though because my DACmini has been away from me for over a month now because CEntrance can't figure out what is causing an audible hiss...

They offered me a refund or I could just wait until their CEO Michael gets back from China to take a look at it for himself..

Currently with LH's offer on IndieGoGo I could get the Geek Pulse for just about the same price ($399) but I am not sure when it would ship...

Not exactly sure what I should do... They both are very similar in specs, both do what I need it to do (amp/dac desktop combo with pass through), and are both in the same form factor/price range that I am comfortable with.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2909 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 14:54:59 »

Basically from what I can find, the Geek Pulse is just a larger (desktop) version of the Geek Out. Well at least the base model is. Seriously those guys seem like they are going way over the top with all their "upgrades" and stuff.

I am interested in it though because my DACmini has been away from me for over a month now because CEntrance can't figure out what is causing an audible hiss...

They offered me a refund or I could just wait until their CEO Michael gets back from China to take a look at it for himself..

Currently with LH's offer on IndieGoGo I could get the Geek Pulse for just about the same price ($399) but I am not sure when it would ship...

Not exactly sure what I should do... They both are very similar in specs, both do what I need it to do (amp/dac desktop combo with pass through), and are both in the same form factor/price range that I am comfortable with.

I think they changed that in the last couple days to either 5 $99 payments or $999 and get a free pair of lcd-2.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #2910 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 11:15:57 »

I think they changed that in the last couple days to either 5 $99 payments or $999 and get a free pair of lcd-2.
Some one on headfi alerted me that they put up another indiegogo option to pay 4 payments of 99 a month. I jumped on it.. Should be done paying in March and have the unit ship around March as well.

Does anyone on here have experience with using linear power supplies? Why the hell anyone would pay $800 for a small upgrade in sonic quality for their amp/dac is beyond me.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2911 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 13:36:46 »

Some one on headfi alerted me that they put up another indiegogo option to pay 4 payments of 99 a month. I jumped on it.. Should be done paying in March and have the unit ship around March as well.

Does anyone on here have experience with using linear power supplies? Why the hell anyone would pay $800 for a small upgrade in sonic quality for their amp/dac is beyond me.

Yeah man, it's power conditioning.  Usually if your home electricity is less than optimal you might want to look into one of these.  Bad power?  Needs conditioning.  No bad power?  Doesn't sound off?  You're A-OK.  Power conditioning is expensive to design and a niche item, hence the price.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #2912 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 14:24:54 »

Yeah man, it's power conditioning.  Usually if your home electricity is less than optimal you might want to look into one of these.  Bad power?  Needs conditioning.  No bad power?  Doesn't sound off?  You're A-OK.  Power conditioning is expensive to design and a niche item, hence the price.

Yeah.. I mean I at least use a good power strip with a nice ground. I should probably upgrade mine though since I need more outlets... But yeah the price on some Linear Power Supplies are insane.. the only "normal" priced one was the battery units for the ALO audio Panam.

But anyways hopefully the Geek Pulse will be cool.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2913 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 14:48:14 »
Buy a home theater one, save a bundle, hide it where you don't see it.

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #2914 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 20:59:20 »
I had issues in my old house with very old wiring and very disruptive N-G noise. I purchased a Furman PST-8D power conditioner and it completely removed all of the noise I getting out of my amplifier. I can't say it improved the actual sound quality, but it did perform its intended function and clean up the noise. It worked so good I purchased a second one for my computer as power conditioners offer a much higher level of protection than traditional surge protectors.
Mira SE  |  Clueboard  |   B.face  |  HHKB Type-S

Offline cookiesowns

« Reply #2915 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 01:31:30 »
Any DT990 600Ohm users here?

I've been listening to a T90 for a while now, and am now debating canceling my order for the DT990 from massdrop. I have a pair of DT880s also. I feel that the T90 isn't too much a change in sound signature compared to the DT880. Wider sound stage, more bass, actually ALOT better bass. Highs are a bit more pronounced but do not have the sibilance of the DT880.

Wonder how the DT990 is compared to the T90. If it's the same, or has alot more bass + highs, then I'll pass on it.

Offline Freebird

• SSRCG
« Reply #2916 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 07:37:16 »
Surely the T90's are better than the DT990's? I probably would say to not spend money on a "similar" set of cans, but that is just me.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #2917 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 10:08:00 »
I own the T90 and I just recently listened to the 990s in store. The T90 are much better, Greater clarity, bass, spacing, and just so much more crisp. The tesla technology is really awesome. However if you like the T90 sound signature, the 990 is a cheaper alternative. T90s only issue is that they can be treble happy for some. Oh and they are extremely comfy.

Offline cookiesowns

« Reply #2918 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 11:38:19 »
I own the T90 and I just recently listened to the 990s in store. The T90 are much better, Greater clarity, bass, spacing, and just so much more crisp. The tesla technology is really awesome. However if you like the T90 sound signature, the 990 is a cheaper alternative. T90s only issue is that they can be treble happy for some. Oh and they are extremely comfy.

I feel like the treble is actually better than the DT880. I'm a neutral type guy, but prefer tight bass and happy but detailed trebles whenever.

So it looks like the decision is to cancel the DT990, and spend that money towards a better DAC/AMP. Or more keyboard stuff... I think I have too many.

Offline LinkPro

« Reply #2919 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 22:02:18 »
I'm new on GH so I thought I needed to prove my relevance to this thread...  :D
84164-0
Really good all-around headphones. Thanks to these I was finally able to get out of the audio arms race...and into the keyboard arms race.

//Speaking of Beyer, the Tesla series gets lots of praise. I personally owned the flagship T1 for half a year and it was the best headphones I have ever listened to. Most comfortable too, no pressure on the top of my head whatsoever unlike all other headphones I have owned. However I don't think 990 would be so similar to T90, 990 supposedly has elevated bass and treble while T90 is more neutral. Maybe the 880 would be more similar to the T90.

Offline cookiesowns

« Reply #2920 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 22:33:08 »
I'm new on GH so I thought I needed to prove my relevance to this thread...  :D
(Attachment Link)
Really good all-around headphones. Thanks to these I was finally able to get out of the audio arms race...and into the keyboard arms race.

//Speaking of Beyer, the Tesla series gets lots of praise. I personally owned the flagship T1 for half a year and it was the best headphones I have ever listened to. Most comfortable too, no pressure on the top of my head whatsoever unlike all other headphones I have owned. However I don't think 990 would be so similar to T90, 990 supposedly has elevated bass and treble while T90 is more neutral. Maybe the 880 would be more similar to the T90.

Really? From what I've read the T90 is more vshaped than the DT880. The sound signature does seem like so, but very mildly. I'm still undecided. All I know is though, the T90 makes the DT880 sound cheap.

And a surprising fact, the iPhone 6+ drives the T90 quite well, while my old HTC ONE M8 drove it pretty terribly. The apple earpods weren't bad at all, but the volume is quite low, that or my hearing is getting really awful...

Offline LinkPro

« Reply #2921 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 23:15:35 »

Really? From what I've read the T90 is more vshaped than the DT880. The sound signature does seem like so, but very mildly. I'm still undecided. All I know is though, the T90 makes the DT880 sound cheap.

And a surprising fact, the iPhone 6+ drives the T90 quite well, while my old HTC ONE M8 drove it pretty terribly. The apple earpods weren't bad at all, but the volume is quite low, that or my hearing is getting really awful...

It shouldn't be v-shaped if it is anything similar to the flagship T1. I had to go check head-fi again and the reviews suggest that the T90 is more on the neutral side too. Bass is there but in no way DT990-like.

The Tesla series are supposed to be not too amp picky. I plugged my T1 in my iPod touch back then for burn in and I could at least tell that detail retrieval and soundstage on this thing were no joke.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #2922 on: Tue, 16 December 2014, 04:57:10 »
Latest and last of my headphone purchases, gonna stop buying cans and perhaps focus on dac/amp combos and high res portable players. first up, V-Moda Crossfade M100 (matt black)

Next up, a Sennheiser HD700

Last but certainly not least, a MrSpeakers Alpha Dog

Oh yeah, group shot!

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #2923 on: Thu, 25 December 2014, 00:33:50 »
Finally opened my HE400i. I don't have an amp right now but running these out of my phone they are pretty good... I can't wait to properly drive them. They definitely don't have that head pounding bass of the regular 400s. I think that it also has something to do with the clamp force.  Since more rumble can be more easily felt if the headphones are pressed more tightly on the head. But they sure are comfy. My family said they look a bit goofy but oh well lol

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2924 on: Thu, 25 December 2014, 14:22:28 »
he400s have head pounding bass???

man, i must have been hearing them wrong.
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 December 2014, 14:29:12 by demik »
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2925 on: Thu, 25 December 2014, 19:08:06 »
he400s have head pounding bass???

man, i must have been hearing them wrong.

1. You don't know what bass is
2. I didn't think it was pounding either.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #2926 on: Thu, 25 December 2014, 23:51:16 »
I don't know how all you guys feel about ATH-M50s but for christmas I got some velour pads for them so I can ditch the crappy pleather ones they come with.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #2927 on: Thu, 25 December 2014, 23:56:07 »
I don't know how all you guys feel about ATH-M50s but for christmas I got some velour pads for them so I can ditch the crappy pleather ones they come with.
Did they change the sound at all? I'm sure they are way more comfortable!

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #2928 on: Fri, 26 December 2014, 00:17:36 »
Did they change the sound at all? I'm sure they are way more comfortable!

They are SO much more comfortable. It caused a small drop in bass but I mostly listen to rock and 80s pop so it isn't an issue, for games and some music I'll just eq up the bass a bit. My plan now is to use them a ton this week to get a better grasp on the sound and comfort changed.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #2929 on: Fri, 26 December 2014, 01:22:29 »
Finally entered the Heaphone game with beyerdynamics dt770 pro 80ohms I got for christmas .
Seriously considering an amp now , what have you done to me GH  :-X
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Johan

« Reply #2930 on: Fri, 26 December 2014, 15:01:04 »
Any recommendations for a pair of closed pair of headphones for use on the go? I'm willing to spend 100 to 150 depending on the difference between price brackets.
I have a pair of IEM's,but I find that my ears get irritated by them If I use them for more than an hour or two.
Uh, stuff.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #2931 on: Fri, 26 December 2014, 15:18:39 »
Any recommendations for a pair of closed pair of headphones for use on the go? I'm willing to spend 100 to 150 depending on the difference between price brackets.
I have a pair of IEM's,but I find that my ears get irritated by them If I use them for more than an hour or two.
Beyerdynamic custom one pros.

Offline compgeke

« Reply #2932 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 22:59:53 »
I didn't get new headphones but I did get two amps today in the mail.

Two Little Bear P1 amps along with it 11 tubes (Amperex 6DJ8, GE 12AU7, unbranded 12AT7, Telefunken 6DJ8 x4, Telefunken 12AU7 x4) as well as one stock power brick and a General Signal Sola SLS-24-024 in an ATX PSU case.

One has some modifications (not sure what) but it DOES work but sounds a bit distorted running with a 12AU7. If I flip the switch and throw a 6DJ8 into it instead it sounds a fair bit better. They get pretty damn loud for being a headphone amp and sound pretty awesome, I'll be using one as a portable and the modified one as a spare.

« Last Edit: Mon, 29 December 2014, 23:02:26 by compgeke »

Offline drewba

« Reply #2933 on: Wed, 31 December 2014, 10:14:04 »
I purchased a JVC HARX700 based on reviews that touted this an extraordinary bang-for-my-buck. I guess I should have asked you guys first but regardless it's being delivered to me sometime today.

I've been reading about "comfort modding" using foam - has anyone specifically modded the HARX700s and can drop some knowledge on me? I don't think it will be too difficult but thought I'd ask because it's New Years Eve and I'm working :/

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2934 on: Wed, 31 December 2014, 10:24:10 »
Finally upgraded from my koss porta pro's to some sennheiser HD558's, so far I'm really liking them, having once owned the HD600 don't know why it took me so long to get back to sennheiser.

Offline Johan

« Reply #2935 on: Wed, 31 December 2014, 20:59:16 »
Beyerdynamic custom one pros.

I went out and got them yesterday, 1.5 days of light use and the cable input is broked. Right and left speaker turns off depending on which direction I turn my head. Nope just a cable short, still going to have it replaced. I have the best luck :/
They sound pretty good for not being broken-in though, and they feel very sturdy.
Going back to the shop tomorrow.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 January 2015, 08:13:54 by Johan »
Uh, stuff.

Offline ImCyborg

« Reply #2936 on: Wed, 31 December 2014, 21:21:26 »
I use the Astro A40s with the astro mixamp. I love them so much, they great!

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #2937 on: Sat, 03 January 2015, 01:23:50 »

Got these thanks to tjcaustin. Amazing soundstage for a pair of closed cans and really fine treble.
I love Elzy

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2938 on: Sat, 03 January 2015, 01:46:10 »
One of my favorite headphones ruined because my head is 3big.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #2939 on: Sat, 03 January 2015, 13:48:08 »
Haven't worn my HD650s in a little while, I forgot how tight they clamp...

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #2940 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 07:12:33 »
Got a Schiit Lyr, will be getting an SMSL M8 DAC in the near future, and maybe an AKG702 Anni......

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #2941 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 09:41:40 »
Got a Schiit Lyr, will be getting an SMSL M8 DAC in the near future, and maybe an AKG702 Anni......
Show Image

What model of ifi is that?

Also last night I went to the opening celebration of a local audio store, I got to try the Mr speakers alpha prime, the abyss headphones, and a bunch of woo audio amps. I think I'm set on selling all my stuff and upgrading to a wa7 fireflies.

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #2942 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 11:49:45 »
Show Image

Great choice with the Lyr! Slap some NOS Amperex Orange Globe ECC88 in there and it'll be silky smooth.
Mira SE  |  Clueboard  |   B.face  |  HHKB Type-S

Offline blackbox

« Reply #2943 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 16:58:14 »
Show Image

Nice! I have used my asgard 2 for quite a while now and i love schiit products.
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #2944 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 20:45:47 »
Hmmm, someone in a local tech forum wants to sell an iFi iDSD Nano at a pretty good price, thinking of grabbing it instead of the SMSL M8. What do you guys think?

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #2945 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 14:29:08 »
question.

I am upgrading my desktop setup and will be buying some stuff

Is there a dac/amp combo that would power my speakers and headphones so that I don't have to buy 2 separate ones.

I really like the Monoprice Desktop Headphone Amplifier that's on massdrop right now.

More specifically this is what I am going to be playing with

Speakers: http://www.amazon.com/Micca-MB42X-Bookshelf-Speakers-Tweeter/dp/B00E7H8GG2/ref=pd_sim_e_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1KSW8T0DVHC495PKDYE6
Headphones: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR7506-Professional-Diaphragm-Headphone/dp/B000AJIF4E/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1421872084&sr=1-1&keywords=sony+mdr+7506

Any recommendations on the setup would be appreciated.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #2946 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 14:50:12 »
question.

Is there a dac/amp combo that would power my speakers and headphones so that I don't have to buy 2 separate ones.

I really like the Monoprice Desktop Headphone Amplifier that's on massdrop right now.

Speakers: http://www.amazon.com/Micca-MB42X-Bookshelf-Speakers-Tweeter/dp/B00E7H8GG2/ref=pd_sim_e_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1KSW8T0DVHC495PKDYE6
Headphones: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR7506-Professional-Diaphragm-Headphone/dp/B000AJIF4E/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1421872084&sr=1-1&keywords=sony+mdr+7506

What is your budget? Are those bookshelf speakers powered?

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #2947 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 15:16:01 »
question.

They are not powered and budget for Dac would be about $100.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #2948 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 15:47:22 »
question.

Well the monoprice unit you showed is only an amp not a dac. Although I had the fiio e09 which is similar and it had tons of power.

Check out ifi and yulong's cheaper offerings for amp dac combos. For 100 it might be hard to find an amp and dac combo with pass through. You might need to up your budget a little.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #2949 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 17:02:55 »
question.

Well the monoprice unit you showed is only an amp not a dac. Although I had the fiio e09 which is similar and it had tons of power.

Check out ifi and yulong's cheaper offerings for amp dac combos. For 100 it might be hard to find an amp and dac combo with pass through. You might need to up your budget a little.

It sais it is a dac o.o

Monoprice Desktop Amp / DAC