Author Topic: 34 Alpha key wiring  (Read 2291 times)

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
  • Cable maker and future engineer
34 Alpha key wiring
« on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 22:06:18 »
Can anyone help me with wiring white leds to the 34 alpha keys? I am looking for a wiring diagram or writeup or something to go off of. The power source would be a teensy 2.0  So far I figured out that this would probably be the best wiring layout but I'm not quite sure.

If anyone could provide info on wiring layouts, resisters, or leds to use for the project that would be awesome. Thanks.
HHKB Pro 2   SmallFry Keyboard

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
Re: 34 Alpha key wiring
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 22:14:26 »
You are going to dedicate an entire teensy to controlling the LEDs?  Or are you going to add LEDs to a board such as the Phantom that is already using the teensy? 

Are they supposed to be individually controlled?  That makes a big difference.

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 22:30:05 »
You are going to dedicate an entire teensy to controlling the LEDs?  Or are you going to add LEDs to a board such as the Phantom that is already using the teensy? 

Are they supposed to be individually controlled?  That makes a big difference.

Sorry for not specifying. No, the keyboard matrix is also hooked up to the teensy. The teensy is just going to power the leds. And this is for a custom board that is going to use direct wiring using Lowpoly's technique.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 22:59:23 »
Ok.  The teensy doesn't really have enough power to drive that many LEDs.  It can only handle a few at a time, really.  If you want to do all the alphas, you would probably want to do one of two things... (1) Wire up an amplifier circuit to drive the LEDs. (2)  Wire them up directly to the power off of the USB.  With 1, you will have a really hard time working that in without a PCB.  With 2, you will be unable to adjust them at all.

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 23:04:13 »
Ok.  The teensy doesn't really have enough power to drive that many LEDs.  It can only handle a few at a time, really.  If you want to do all the alphas, you would probably want to do one of two things... (1) Wire up an amplifier circuit to drive the LEDs. (2)  Wire them up directly to the power off of the USB.  With 1, you will have a really hard time working that in without a PCB.  With 2, you will be unable to adjust them at all.

Ok well it's sounding less and less plausible to do. How many leds can the teensy power? Maybe I could just do the home row finger positions (a,s,d,f,j,k,l,;). Or how about wiring up a led indicator to the caps lock? How hard is that to do with the teensy? Thanks for the help.
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 May 2013, 23:06:03 by TheFlyingRaccoon »

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 23:10:06 »
From memory I think the Teensy can handle about 20mA... so not many.

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 23:16:41 »
From memory I think the Teensy can handle about 20mA... so not many.

Ok. Do you have a guide or wiring diagram I could reference? I haven't been able to find anything. I think I am going to try and hook up 8 leds for the home row if that is under 20mA.

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 19:29:27 »
Help would be greatly appreciated! I am trying to do what user kinruan did here:

Offline ishtob

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 10:14:42 »
if you want the LED controlled by the teensy, you might consider using a mosfet and use teensy as a signal, that way you can draw current directly from the USB while allowing some customization from your teensy

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 11:01:20 »
He's definitely going to have to do that.