Author Topic: Filco Majestouch 2 MX Browns - key not springing back up  (Read 2102 times)

Offline skyblue

Filco Majestouch 2 MX Browns - key not springing back up
« on: Sat, 02 July 2011, 01:07:02 »
Hey everyone,

Posted these questions in the pictures forums, but got no replies. (http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?19396-Filco-Majestouch-2-104-browns)

My Q key isn't springing back up properly and kind of jams halfway, anyone deal with this before and know a fix?

Also, are these keyboards supposed to come with a keycap puller? I didn't have one in the box..
Das Professional S | Filco Majestouch-2 104

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 02 July 2011, 01:22:59 »
All the Filcos I bought from China, Taiwan, or amazon all came with a puller.  I would not be surprised that a shady shop in hong kong pulled the bundled puller and keycaps out of box when they saw your friend who might not know much about keyboards.

If the key is not bouncing back up, either something is stuck, or the spring broke, which is unlikely.  Pull the cap with homemade key puller made with paperclips, and use compressed air to blow into the switch.  If that doesn't work, you will have to open the case and desolder the switch, open it up to see what is wrong inside.

Since you brought it from hong kong, you have no warranty anyway.  Good luck!

Offline redpill

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 02 July 2011, 12:22:03 »
Quote from: litster;371780
All the Filcos I bought from China, Taiwan, or amazon all came with a puller.  I would not be surprised that a shady shop in hong kong pulled the bundled puller and keycaps out of box when they saw your friend who might not know much about keyboards.

My 104 MJ2 with browns from Amazon didn't come with a puller either.  Maybe they stopped including them on the full keyboards?  Or maybe it's a 2nd gen thing.

^ Current Favorite ^  Topre Realforce 87UB 55g  |  Topre Realforce 103UB 55g | KBC Poker/Browns/Sanded KeycapsDucky 1087 | Filco MajesFoam-2 | IBM Model M 1390131 Feb '87 | Still Love: Microsoft Trackball Explorer x3 | Now Unused:  Microsoft Natural Ergo 4k x2

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 02 July 2011, 13:07:02 »
Quote from: redpill;372004
My 104 MJ2 with browns from Amazon didn't come with a puller either.  Maybe they stopped including them on the full keyboards?  Or maybe it's a 2nd gen thing.

Good to know.  I don't have any Filco 104 keyboard.  Every Filco I have is tenkeyless.

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 02 July 2011, 14:44:11 »
You can always improvise a puller with some pliers and a paperclip. Also, one some of my boards I'm able to pull the key with just my fingers. As long as you're careful and give it a bit of a wiggle that can work too if you have strong fingers.

If I were you I'd make the paperclip puller, pull all the keys around the Q out and scope the situation. Before you pull the Q use a flathead screwdriver to secure the switch to the mounting plate so you don't accidentally break anything. Then, carefully wiggle the key around with the puller and gently but firmly pull it.

Good luck!
Realforce 87UW 45g - Filco Blue 87 - Filco Linear R - Filco Brown 104

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 02 July 2011, 14:53:07 »
My tenkeyless Maj1 came from via Amazon, no keypuller.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline skyblue

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 03 July 2011, 11:24:02 »
Thanks for the tips everyone, luckily it seems like the keycap just wasn't secured properly. Took it out, cleaned it a little, popped it back in and then spammed keypresses. It's working fine now.

Seems like there's an inconsistency with which Filco's come packaged with a keypuller, sucks :(
Das Professional S | Filco Majestouch-2 104

Offline Tony

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 05 July 2011, 08:39:35 »

Pull out the troublesome keycap by using a selfmade keycap puller (made from paperclips).

Take a good close-up picture of the switch, save as jpg,  and put it here so we can help.

Edit: Good to see that problems solved.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 July 2011, 08:44:41 by Tony »
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm