Author Topic: Unknown Cherry switch the best ever, and I can't find any information on it...  (Read 6581 times)

Offline 8_INCH_FLOPPY

I was at my secret source of vintage industrial electronics, and I discovered several of these keyboards. They were still in their packaging, and apparently they are old, but from the moment I pressed the first key down, I knew I had found something very special. Just when I thought that I had experienced just about every worthwhile switch out there, I found something immeasurably better than all of them. If I had to attempt put the feeling of these switches into words(impossible), I would say these feel like buckling springs, but they are quiet and have slightly shorter travel? I haven't done a side by side comparison, because I need both hands to get into my keyboard stash, and I can't take my right hand away from this incredible keyboard with these incredible switches. I thought I knew everything there was to know about keyboard switches, but someone really must tell me what type of switches these are and if they can be found in any full size ps/2 or usb keyboards. I MUST HAVE ONE.

This is a very high quality keyboard... Or at least most of one. It doesn't have a case or controller, but I will learn how to build them if I have to. The Cherry logo is printed on the bottom of the keyboard next to some Japanese(?) characters(translation plz?). The keys are all doubleshot, and the stems are slightly smaller than any of the other Cherry stems I have seen. I really like the design of the keys. They have the same overall width of your average full size keys, but they don't taper so much so they have a larger area on top.

The ribbon cable has 11 pins on each side. Are there any readymade controllers that I could plug this thing into to get it working? Anybody please?

Theses are all of the possible ID codes I could find, but an online search doesn't come up with anything:
001-0173-E
4z-06169-31y

Please excuse the terrible phone camera pictures.

This picture comparing one of these cherry keys to a standard cherry key is misleading, because The key in the pic is one of the slightly smaller ones from the top row.
Notable Switches I have tried:
black cherry, blue cherry, brown cherry, clear cherry, cherry M84, white alps, black alps, cream alps, Monterey blue alps, Fujitsu Peerless, Gateway2000 rubber dome, Keytronic rubber dome, Model M buckling spring, Model F buckling spring, futaba, black space invader

================================================
HAPPY HUNTING

Offline kaiserreich

• HHKB Elite
Unknown Cherry switch the best ever, and I can't find any information on it...
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 08 January 2012, 23:59:10 »
Can't see the accents (if any) on the japanese writings.
ヒロセ チェリー
Which reads as, Hirose Cherry

Offline 8_INCH_FLOPPY

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 09 January 2012, 00:23:22 »
Webster is actually producing and compiling useful information? I have been gone too long. :P

A serious congratulations on that Wiki, but I don't see anything about these switches...
black cherry, blue cherry, brown cherry, clear cherry, cherry M84, white alps, black alps, cream alps, Monterey blue alps, Fujitsu Peerless, Gateway2000 rubber dome, Keytronic rubber dome, Model M buckling spring, Model F buckling spring, futaba, black space invader

HAPPY HUNTING

Offline 8_INCH_FLOPPY

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 09 January 2012, 00:27:53 »
Wow, another wiki? Very thorough... Nice.

I am sad that these are so obscure. Everyone should have a keyboard with these switches! I can't believe that Cherry stopped making them. :(

HAPPY HUNTING

Offline Reptile

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 09 January 2012, 00:34:47 »
What do the keys look like on a different cherry board? Are the keys smaller?
Home:Realforce 87UB 55g
Work:Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears

Offline 8_INCH_FLOPPY

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 09 January 2012, 00:38:36 »
Well, it's impossible to say who the #1 expert is, but apparently you know more than I do on this topic, and anyone who can say that must be sick... Kidding, but how many of those switches have you really typed extensively on? Have you ever sampled the awesome M84 Cherry switch?

HAPPY HUNTING

Offline 8_INCH_FLOPPY

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 09 January 2012, 00:51:20 »
Compared my other Cherry keyboards, the keys on the M84s are more rectangular. The bottoms have the same dimensions, but the top of the M84 key is larger.
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 January 2012, 01:00:48 by 8_INCH_FLOPPY »

HAPPY HUNTING

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 09 January 2012, 02:37:33 »
Since you said you found several of these, would it be possible to share the wealth? I'd love to try one.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Ascaii

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 09 January 2012, 03:08:33 »
Ive got an old video editing console with these switches that Id be willing to trade for something interesting or cold hard cash :P

Interesting thing is mine actually have red LEDs for all switches.
"Mechanical keyboards are like pokemon:
you start with one, and then you wanna catch em all."

Offline USAgent

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 09 January 2012, 10:56:10 »
Quote from: ripster;486454
I have compiled MOST of the useful information here.  You should have been here to vote for me as #1.

I voted, now what do I win?
Filco MJ2 Ninja 104Ducky Disco TKL

Offline 8_INCH_FLOPPY

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 09 January 2012, 11:33:08 »
Ah, such irony. I would be sitting on a gold mine with these keyboards, except nobody knows how awesome they are. The very thing that makes them so valuable also makes them not so valuable... I might be willing to let a few people try them, but first, I'm going to see if I can find any more.

HAPPY HUNTING

Offline mbc

• -delete-
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 10 January 2012, 13:10:50 »
it's from an epson px-8

Offline 8_INCH_FLOPPY

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 10 January 2012, 13:33:15 »
Sweet, there's one on ebay right now. Thanks for the info mbc!

HAPPY HUNTING

Offline wompwomp

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 10 January 2012, 13:58:53 »
Shoot, if these feel like buckling springs without the massive keyboard frame, I'm in for one!

Offline 8_INCH_FLOPPY

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 10 January 2012, 14:48:42 »
They feel similar to buckling springs, except without the spring noise and vibration. Something like this is hard to put into words. They really just make my fingers happy the way buckling springs do. What do I need in order to make one of those force diagrams?

HAPPY HUNTING

Offline trax

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 10 January 2012, 14:50:38 »
u got em working on a pc?

do want...
Switches tried so far
Cherry MX Red Blue Black Clear
ALPS White Black (fake)Blue
Montereys
ACER
White Black
Futaba
Buckling Sprin

Offline Reptile

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 10 January 2012, 15:47:18 »
Night Court - Season 2, Episode 5 "The Computer Kid" (1984)

Jeremy uses his Epson to hack into the school.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 37205[/ATTACH]
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 37206[/ATTACH]
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 37207[/ATTACH]

New hhkb for sure :eyebrows:
Home:Realforce 87UB 55g
Work:Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 10 January 2012, 22:48:42 »
Quote from: 8_INCH_FLOPPY;486649
Ah, such irony. I would be sitting on a gold mine with these keyboards, except nobody knows how awesome they are. The very thing that makes them so valuable also makes them not so valuable... I might be willing to let a few people try them, but first, I'm going to see if I can find any more.

Are they even usable? Plus they need a custom case.
Check out my sales thread.

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
KBC w/Reds and Cherry doubleshots in imsto\'s case
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g
KMAC Titanium/Winkeyless (in the mail)

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 10 January 2012, 22:56:28 »
So whats this secret source of vintage hardware you speak of?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Offline 8_INCH_FLOPPY

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 11 January 2012, 00:26:29 »
Like I said, I do not have one working with a computer yet. Notice the picture of the matrix ending in the 2 11-pin ribbon cables. I would be thrilled if someone could find a ready-made control circuit, or help me design one. A simple circuit diagram would be most helpful. I am not yet very familiar with digital electronics, but it's on my to do list.

I don't know what I am going to do about a case yet. I am going to see how many of these I can find. I'll give you a final number in a couple of days.

HAPPY HUNTING

Offline JustCallMeCrash

• ErgoDox Lover
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 11 January 2012, 09:51:12 »
It may prove easier to scrub the pcb and plate mount these and do your own teensy-matrix.  Either way, nice find... I'd love a chance to snap one of these up, just for the opportunity to build a board with those switches.
ErgoDoxen 6 total: Cherry MX Browns, Cherry MX Clears, NovelKeys Box Royal, 80g Gateron Yellows, NovelKeys Pale Blues, NovelKeys Box Navy.
Preonic 2 total: OG Gateron Yellows (GMK silencer clips), TBD (unassembled v2).
XD-75 (mixed Gateron Yellows, MX Blacks, MX Clears on layer toggles).
Das S Professional (was MX Blues, now Ghetto Reds).
G80-11900.
ML-4400 (2x) Cherry MY boards.

Offline 8_INCH_FLOPPY

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 22 January 2012, 22:39:50 »
I managed to acquire 35 of these things. Winning!

Now what to do... With this many, it might make sense to get cases and controllers made. Uh, anyone know how much custom keyboard cases cost?

HAPPY HUNTING

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 22 January 2012, 22:49:09 »
Ripster, that seems an obnoxiously ad hominem attack.

I like Fujitsu Peerless too.  I had one long before I came here and knew how to identify switches, and they have a better feel-- if you get a decent one-- than some other boards out there.  I suspect the design may also be more amenable to DVORAK-style conversions than Cherry or ALPS boards with different row heights.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline 8_INCH_FLOPPY

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 23 January 2012, 00:41:46 »
Quote from: ripster;496588
Technically an ad hominem attack would mean the Fujitsu Peerless like/dislike is irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

Plus the OP called me "Webster".

I prefer, "Dr. Ripster".

Someone calls attention to your fallacious argument, and you counter with another red herring? I misspelled your 'handle' so you then try to discredit me? You either have a strange sense of humor in that you like going onto websites and acting like an idiot, or you are one.

I am perfectly open about my opinions, and I don't belittle yours, so stop following me around acting like I have no taste.

HAPPY HUNTING

Offline sixty

• http://deskthority.net
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 23 January 2012, 01:05:17 »
Cherry M8 switches. They were what eventually turned into the MX switch. I have a couple of boards with them, such as this:

When I first got the board, the switches felt really bad and stiff to me. I thought that over the years dust had ruined them. I went to clean and lube them and they still felt pretty bad. Keep in mind that I am a guy who likes MX Blacks and even I found these switches to be too stiff. You must be a true masochist.

Offline 8_INCH_FLOPPY

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 23 January 2012, 01:35:16 »
It seems to take between 60 and 70g to push them down. I would never lubricate key-switches. Residue-free contact cleaner only!

Maybe I need to lend a couple of these out...

HAPPY HUNTING

Offline REVENGE

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 23 January 2012, 03:54:35 »
lol @ hyping vintage switches.
◕ ‿ ◕

Offline M9Prime

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 00:20:34 »
How much are you willing to sell a board for, I would love to try one out, Possibly add one to my new collection im starting.
Btw Great Find!

Offline 8_INCH_FLOPPY

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 00:58:52 »
I want to get them working before I think of selling. I might lend them out so that people can experience what they feel like. Anyone with an idea of how I should go about getting cases, I am all ears.

HAPPY HUNTING

Offline M9Prime

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 15:58:33 »
I'm a Pretty good carpenter i'm sure i could outfit a keyboard with a  wood chassis , i can also wire some Leds

Offline 8_INCH_FLOPPY

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 00:13:31 »
I will offer 2 of these up to anyone who is willing to program a teensy or whatever else might be required to get these working with USB.

HAPPY HUNTING

Offline Ascaii

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 02:22:41 »
I am definitely interested in one. Maybe haata can help us convert these via teensy.
"Mechanical keyboards are like pokemon:
you start with one, and then you wanna catch em all."

Offline captain

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 05:14:23 »
What part of the world are you in 8"?  Maybe some local GHers could meet you. Do you really have an 8" floppy drive?  I've been hunting for years to get data off an old disk.
Welcome to geekhack -- where we like to type -- but don't care so much about reading.

Offline 8_INCH_FLOPPY

Anyone still interested interested in giving one a feel(That sounds creepy, doesn't it?) or for buying for keeps: http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?32416-Rare-Cherry-M84-NOS&p=613162#post613162

HAPPY HUNTING