Author Topic: Model M Cleaning and Bolt Mod  (Read 79842 times)

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
Model M Cleaning and Bolt Mod
« on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 10:34:55 »
Late last year, CPTBadAss hooked me up with a Model M.

Here's some pics of when I cleaned it up and bolt modded it. :cool:

== == == == ==

Here it is.  It was dirty filthy.  I actually typed on it in this condition just to test it out...boy were my fingers sticky after.

== == == == ==

I soaked the cable in soapy water and cleaned it with a toothbrush.

Aaand that's how filthy the water was after.

== == == == ==

I ordered a nut driver but shipping delays led me to modify a socket wrench to access the deeper nuts.

I attached one of the nuts to my dremel to drive the socket wrench bit against a steel file.

Some time later...

Viola!

== == == == ==

The inside wasn't pretty...

== == == == ==

Once open I gave everything a wash before drilling.

I don't remember where I learned the tape trick but it was from a user that made a time lapse bolt mod video.  The tape trick was from phosphorglow's amazing Model M refurbishing video.  Thanks for the heads up CPT!

== == == == ==

I followed dorkvader's guide and used a round bit to make round pockets as guides for drilling.

== == == == ==

Yep, Bob was here.

Ignoring the missing keys...DONE! :thumb:

Oh yeah...no speaker but...

« Last Edit: Tue, 17 February 2015, 11:01:34 by infiniti »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: Model M Cleaning and Bolt Mod
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 10:39:36 »
Great job! You really brought it back to life. :thumb:
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 10:40:14 »
Hey greats pics, you did one hell of a job cleaning it.
If you need those 2 keys pm me.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 10:46:24 »
I believe that tape job trick is from phosphorglow's amazing Model M refurbishing video.

Glad you got it looking that good because it was filthy when I had it in my apartment and worse where I found it. How are you enjoying it?

Offline FreeCopy

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 10:49:43 »
Nice save! Looks like a good, clean respectable M again.

The effort put into that socket modification :eek:  I love seeing custom tools.

I used dorkvaders tip as well for those starter holes. Very helpful and sped things up significantly.
Keyboards
More
Poker II | Leopold fc500r | Bolt Modded M 1391401 x2 08NOV90 - 19NOV90 | FK-2001 White Alps Clones | Filco MJ2 104Bolt Modded SSK 1391472 27JUL87 | Winkeyless B.87 TKL | MiniVan GateReds 62g

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 11:19:08 »
Great job! You really brought it back to life. :thumb:

Thanks it should last another 20+ years! :cool:

== == == == ==

Hey greats pics, you did one hell of a job cleaning it.
If you need those 2 keys pm me.

Thanks man!  I'll PM you. ^-^

== == == == ==

I believe that tape job trick is from phosphorglow's amazing Model M refurbishing video.

Glad you got it looking that good because it was filthy when I had it in my apartment and worse where I found it. How are you enjoying it?

Thanks for that!  Edited the OP.

Loving it!  I actually finished all this last January 7...and used it for two weeks straight with no rotation!  This post was delayed since I was going to retr0brite it but changed my mind and wanted to keep it the way it looks.

== == == == ==

Nice save! Looks like a good, clean respectable M again.

The effort put into that socket modification :eek:  I love seeing custom tools.

I used dorkvaders tip as well for those starter holes. Very helpful and sped things up significantly.

Thanks!  The socket mod was fun...nothing like manhandling a rotary tool to make you feel alive! :))

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 22:52:06 »
Excellent job!

Another Model M brought back from the brink :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 06:25:16 »
Thanks to azhdar the Model M is complete!

93444-0

93446-1

== == == == ==

Now completerer!
93450-2

And most completerest!
93448-3

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 12:16:48 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

== == == == ==

Now completerer!
(Attachment Link)

And most completerest!
(Attachment Link)
Dang, those Bros are really doin it for me rn
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 18:51:10 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

== == == == ==

Now completerer!
(Attachment Link)

And most completerest!
(Attachment Link)
Dang, those Bros are really doin it for me rn

You could say they be mah homeboys! :))

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 16:48:46 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

== == == == ==

Now completerer!
(Attachment Link)

And most completerest!
(Attachment Link)

Congratulations!

So nice when all the bits come together :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 02:44:55 »
Wow! The difference is incredible with a good cleaning. The artisans looks good too  :thumb:

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 05:17:41 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

== == == == ==

Now completerer!
(Attachment Link)

And most completerest!
(Attachment Link)
Wow I'm waiting on my SSK from elec plus and after seeing how dirty that was and seeing how well your came out I feel pretty damn good! Great job man. Not to mention how beautiful she looks with those BRo BS v2s . I'm going to try cleaning mine by myself and unless I get alot more confidence I am probably going to send mine to phosphor for bolt modding but this makes me want to try it myself lol
« Last Edit: Tue, 31 March 2015, 05:20:31 by Sed8op8 »
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 10:46:43 »
Wow I'm waiting on my SSK from elec plus and after seeing how dirty that was and seeing how well your came out I feel pretty damn good! Great job man. Not to mention how beautiful she looks with those BRo BS v2s . I'm going to try cleaning mine by myself and unless I get alot more confidence I am probably going to send mine to phosphor for bolt modding but this makes me want to try it myself lol

SSK...niiiiice!  In any case, it'll only be about 83% of the work.  (corny TKL joke :)))

phosphorglow does some really amazing work!  Oh if you haven't seen his bolt mod time lapse video:

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 11:42:37 »

SSK...niiiiice!  In any case, it'll only be about 83% of the work.  (corny TKL joke :)))

phosphorglow does some really amazing work!  Oh if you haven't seen his bolt mod time lapse video:
Corny...yes but also amusing and thanks for the link I'm going to check it out now and the back to work sigh .....
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade