Author Topic: Questions on restoring and modding 122-key Model M's  (Read 1435 times)

Offline masilver

Questions on restoring and modding 122-key Model M's
« on: Wed, 01 August 2018, 15:47:55 »
I'm working on mods to a 122key Modem M.  Here is what I've currently completed:

1) Installed a Teensy 2.0 running qmk firmware
   201204-0
2) Hardwired a USB cable and added a programming button so I can reprogram the Teensy with a button press.
   201206-1
3) Performed a bolt-mod.  It's actually a screw mod, in that I put the screws in reverse without bolts.  I found that the bolt mod will sometimes cause the metal plate to no longer fit properly and the keyboard can end up with dead spots.
   201208-2
4) Converted the keys to an ANSI layout from ISO.
   201210-3
5) Programmed macros into the left function keys.
   201212-4

I have a few questions:
1) Has anyone interfaced a teensy with a LCD screen?  I'm interested in putting in a 16x2 screen where the caps lock light typically is.
2) Anyone know what kind of rubber mat is between in the matrix and the buckling springs?
3) Is there ever any Massdrops or bulk purchases of keycaps for the model M?  I've only seen them sold by Unicomp and Fentek.
4) Does anyone prefer the qmk firmware over soarer?

...Thanks...
...Michael...

Offline EndlessRiver

Re: Questions on restoring and modding 122-key Model M's
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 06:22:30 »
Well,I thought the first problem is easy to solve,the 1602 LCD screen is easy to program,and it is very cheap either,maybe you need another micro chip to controll it. Just use Teensy's LCD pin as the signal input.

Offline masilver

Re: Questions on restoring and modding 122-key Model M's
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 11 August 2018, 14:14:59 »
I finally got the LCD connected to the Teensy.  There are some decent libraries out there, but picking is always the hard part. 

Thanks for your reply, btw, it needed about 10 pins on the Teensy.

201859-0

...Michael...