Author Topic: Unicomp disassembly  (Read 8635 times)

Offline Etinin

Unicomp disassembly
« on: Wed, 01 December 2010, 19:52:01 »
Ok, it may just be that I'm not seeing something obvious, but I haven't found this anywhere (I swear I searched everywhere).

I have obtained the proper nut driver and removed the top part of my keyboard, but how the hell do I remove everything from the bottom part of the case?
Unicomp SpaceSaver (white)
Only good keyboard due to high shipping costs and import taxes but loving it so far.

Offline synack

Unicomp disassembly
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 01 December 2010, 21:34:02 »
I don't own one but I believe that it's double sided tape holding it:

http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:6550

Offline Etinin

Unicomp disassembly
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 02 December 2010, 08:59:59 »
Yeah, that was it, thanks.
A knife solved the problem.

Too bad it seems I will not find a way of fixing my CTRL key without destroying the plastic rivets, since spilling over isopropillic alcohol and similar outside interventions have not solved the problem. Guess I'll just stick with using a remapped Windows key.
Unicomp SpaceSaver (white)
Only good keyboard due to high shipping costs and import taxes but loving it so far.

Offline stevenjklein

• Your Mac & PC Expert
Re: Unicomp disassembly
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 15:33:02 »

Never heard of geekhack until today, but I'm looking for help taking apart my Unicomp keyboard. I tried clicking that link above, but I get this error:
The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.

How do I get access to that topic?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 17:10:12 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

What a necro bump!

That old post would be long gone - GH was cracked a couple of years ago, and much of the old wiki and old posts and images were lost :(
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 13:10:20 »

Never heard of geekhack until today, but I'm looking for help taking apart my Unicomp keyboard. I tried clicking that link above, but I get this error:
The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.

How do I get access to that topic?

don't worry, just look up Dorkvader's topic on bolt modding his Model M. It will show you everything that's inside a Model M and how to take it apart and put it back together even better (due to the bolt mod).
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 15:40:21 »
don't worry, just look up Dorkvader's topic on bolt modding his Model M. It will show you everything that's inside a Model M and how to take it apart and put it back together even better (due to the bolt mod).

Hehe thanks. here is a link

I actually didn't include much info on actually opening it. My topic on the unicomp 122-key would be better
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62060.msg1445825#msg1445825

Basically you get a 5.5mm or 7/32" thinwall nutdriver and take out the screws (3 or 4 usually), then just pull the top case off from the back. The clips in the front should disengage.
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 August 2014, 15:42:32 by dorkvader »