Author Topic: Community Cherry Switch Tester 2014  (Read 34563 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Community Cherry Switch Tester 2014
« on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 20:38:59 »
EDIT: Switch Tester Sign Up Form

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Seeing as how all the switch testers I've  seen so far have been with springs cannibalized from other switches, I wanted to try something a little different.  Unlike other switch testers, this one is full of your more common Korean springs that you can find at Originative, in group  buys like Sprit's and others that have been done in the past, and sometimes in the Classifieds.  Thanks to people here in the community and from drawing on my own stock, I was able to get a handful of each of the common switches, a few less common ones, and a ton of different springs.

The caps for the switch tester will likely be some random SP caps that I have lying around, but I may make Cherry profile resin caps that correspond with the underlying color. 

The switches present on the main tester are the following:
  • Blacks: A "good" vintage Black, stock Black, and Blacks in 45g, 55g, 62g, 65g, 67g, and 80g.  I may add a Ghost Black (Clear spring) to the supplemental tester.
  • Red: A single stock Red.  No others were included since Reds and Blacks are the same with different springs and a different color stem.
  • Linear Grey: A stock Grey heavy linear switch
  • Browns: A stock Brown and Browns in 45g, 55g, 62g, 65g, 67g, and 80g.
  • Clears: A stock Clear and Clears in 45g, 55g, 62g, 65g, 67g, and 80g.  These are unlubed, though I would recommend anyone actually considering it to lube them.
  • Blues: A stock Blue and Blues in 45g, 55g, 62g, 65g, 67g, and 80g.
  • Green: A stock Green switch

The supplemental try, made since I didn't have enough room on the Tipro, contains the following:
  • Tactile Grey: A heavy tactile Grey switch with a large Clear style bump
  • Whites: A stock White and Whites in 45g, 55g, 62g, 65g, 67g, and 80g.  Like Whites are prone to do, not all of them really click.
  • Likely a "Ghost Black": A Black with a Clear spring
  • One open spot that can be filled with anything or may remain empty. Likely a "Jailhouse" Blue.

Main Switch Tester

Supplemental Switch Tester

Rules for the tester:

• You are responsible for paying the shipping forward to the next person on the list.  I'll be paying for shipping to the first person on the list.
  • You must do a review of it at some point when it's in your possession. This can be a brief write up on the different switches or a full fledged review.
  • No fiddling with it.  Do not desolder and mess with the switches.  Feel free to look at them, but do not mod the tester.
  • Post when the tester has shipped and provide shipping info to the next person in line.
  • Feel free to add caps, such as POM, thick ABS (Cherry/GMK), PBT, novelty caps, and so on, but pass on all the caps it came with to the next person on the list.  I may include one of my key cap pullers in the box so it's easier to try out different caps on the tester.
  • Ship the tester on to the next person no more than 7 days after you get it.  Sooner is better, but if you need the full 7 days, go for it.
  • You must be an established GH member.  That just means you can't have only signed up for this or have a zero or ridiculously low post count.

Right now it will be US only, but it may go international later, especially if there are some people with APO addresses willing to ship within the country or nearby countries.

I'll add a proper survey to collect shipping info and the like later, but for now, just express your interest and I'll add you to the list.

• 1pq
  • riotonthebay
  • TacticalStache - need shipping info
  • gameaholic - need shipping info
  • mooswa - need shipping info
  • DrinkTea - need shipping info
  • Jalberstone - need shipping info
  • CPTBadAss - need shipping info
  • Sniping

Edit:  Since there was some confusion, the above is the sign up order, the below is the shipping order.

Here's the order for the tour:  Those who have gone already have been struck through.  We need to do a small reorder since a small confusion took place.

Tacticalstache
riotonthebay
Luis911
1pq
CPTBadAss

Folio
smferris
jacobolus
Sniping
semyorka
Gameaholic
mooswa
Jalberstone
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 April 2014, 14:22:53 by nubbinator »

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
Re: Community Cherry Switch Tester 2014
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 20:42:53 »
Sweet! Thanks so much for doing this. I'd love to be a part of it :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 January 2014, 20:45:38 by 1pq »
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline fourzeropooh

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 20:43:59 »
Jailhouse blues?

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 20:45:06 »
Jailhouse blues?

^_^ You should definitely add those if possible, nub

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 20:46:14 »
Jailhouse blues?

Sounds like a plan.

...now to figure out what's the best way to "lock" the switch down.  The plastic insert method is too touchy, so likely one of the wrapping methods.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 20:49:33 »
I'm very interested. I'd love a jailhouse blue on the aux tester as well.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 20:56:39 »
I'm down. I bet I can convince a few people to buy keyboards with the try.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 20:57:41 »
Our locations are working out very well (I'm in MA).

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 21:09:08 »
Awesome tester nubs!

Offline Ghetto Caps

• i make ghetto caps.
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 21:09:33 »
REMOVED ,wups  i forgot to read it carefuly

Visit the Typing Test and try![/sigpic]

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 21:11:28 »
I think it should depend on where people are willing to ship, but it's nubs' tester, so it's up to nubs.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline joneslee85

• HHKB Scrub JP
  • Professional Rubyist programmer!
    • Ruby Journal
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 21:16:03 »
envy with US members, I hope one day I could get my review on this
TOO MANY KEYBOARDS THAT I COULD NOT COUNT! BUT I AM STILL USING MY MODEL F77

Offline gameaholic

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 22:07:54 »
Count me in!
IBM Model M SSK, Filco MJ2 Ninja TKL with Reds ergo-clears, CM Storm QFR 55g Whites, Poker II with Reds

Offline mooswa

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 23:11:15 »
Fantastic! Please count me in!

Offline clickclack123

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 23:43:42 »
I'd love to get in on this, but unfortunately I'm in Australia... Bloody CONUS all the time!!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 23:46:53 »
I'd love to get in on this, but unfortunately I'm in Australia... Bloody CONUS all the time!!

If enough Australians want to get in on it, we can always split the shipping to and from  Australia between you and the others once the US rounds are done.  The main issue is just that it's asking a lot for one person to pay for international shipping and there's always the potential that it will get lost in the post.

Offline DrinkTea

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 01:03:50 »
I am interested!

Offline clickclack123

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 01:31:20 »

If enough Australians want to get in on it, we can always split the shipping to and from  Australia between you and the others once the US rounds are done.  The main issue is just that it's asking a lot for one person to pay for international shipping and there's always the potential that it will get lost in the post.

Just guessing but I'd say there'd be a lot of Aussies interested. Don't forget us when the US leg is done!!

Offline Jalberstone

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 01:48:21 »
I know I don't have that many posts, but I would love to sign up if I can.

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 02:25:00 »
This would be pretty great for keyboard newbies

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 08:30:15 »
If you're not willing to risk shipping internationally Nubbinator, I have a tester I'd be willing to send abroad.

Also I'd like to sign up if I could. There's a few spring weights in there that would be cool to play with.
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 January 2014, 08:34:27 by CPTBadAss »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 09:06:43 »
Just guessing but I'd say there'd be a lot of Aussies interested. Don't forget us when the US leg is done!!

Get them to chime in in here.  I can always start getting the Aussie leg ready for when the US run is done.

And remember, there's nothing stopping someone in Australia, Europe, or wherever from making one to send around either.  In some cases, making one would be just as expensive as getting one shipped in internationally.

If you're not willing to risk shipping internationally Nubbinator, I have a tester I'd be willing to send abroad.

Also I'd like to sign up if I could. There's a few spring weights in there that would be cool to play with.

I'm fine with shipping it internationally, I just want to keep it in the same country with a decent number of people signed up if I do so.  Keeping it US right now just makes things easier and makes it so no one has to pay a lot to send it abroad.  That and shipping it back and forth between countries a bunch of times increases the risk it will get lost.  If it just goes into that country once, makes the rounds, then comes back, that risk is reduced.
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 January 2014, 09:14:16 by nubbinator »

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 10:07:02 »
If people are keen on an Aussie switch tester I can start getting one together. I already have brown, clear, blue and vintage blacks so I don't think it would be that hard to source the extra stems and springs to get it rolling. I'll start a thread and see what I can put together.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline smferris

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 10:13:44 »
I just signed up recently so I could get my hands on the keyboard AcidFire is developing over in http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=44940.990, but if you don't mind my tiny post count I'd love to get on the list for the tester so that I can figure out which switches I prefer.

Offline clickclack123

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 17:07:50 »
If people are keen on an Aussie switch tester I can start getting one together. I already have brown, clear, blue and vintage blacks so I don't think it would be that hard to source the extra stems and springs to get it rolling. I'll start a thread and see what I can put together.

That would be awesome, bueller. If I had more switches I would help out, but I only have browns atm. I'm very keen to try reds, clears and especially ergo clears.

Hopefully it's not too off-topic, it is regarding switch testers: where does one get a plate or pcb for a switch tester? Do you make your own or use some kind of a numpad thing? I need to get my own laser cutter/cnc miller or 3d printer!!

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 17:15:47 »
I can make one or two jailhouse blues easily, as I've got a board's worth of them already, but I have no free Blues to use :(  If anyone could spare a blue switch or two, I could mod them and send to Nubs.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45992.msg966197
I use 45g springs for them to avoid cutting stock springs.  A couple would be good--I'd leave one with stock 60g spring and do one with a 45g spring to compare.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 17:16:33 »
Hmm, great idea nubbs, I might pass on it though, the only switches I want to try at this point are mx whites and topre  :P

I would be down to send you a 120g spring later on once sprits group buy is over, if you would be interested in adding that for later on.

Offline Vaii

• wat
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 17:29:37 »
Would definitely join if I was able to, sadly I do not live in the US.

Looks prett badass though, great idea!
wtb dark plushberry (mx) bbv2 / starcluster (mx) bbv2

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 20:28:46 »

I can serve as a US proxy to you for parts if people want to donate parts for it.  Like I said though, I have no problem shooting it down to Australia once it's done here.  Just get ~5-10 people on board so that the shipping cost isn't too much.

I just signed up recently so I could get my hands on the keyboard AcidFire is developing over in http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=44940.990, but if you don't mind my tiny post count I'd love to get on the list for the tester so that I can figure out which switches I prefer.

If you keep involved in the community and show it means something to you, I'll add you.  I may add you at the end and just have you send a Paypal deposit on it then have it sent off to you. Not that I think you're dishonest, but it's just one way to make sure there's an incentive to send it back.

Hopefully it's not too off-topic, it is regarding switch testers: where does one get a plate or pcb for a switch tester? Do you make your own or use some kind of a numpad thing? I need to get my own laser cutter/cnc miller or 3d printer!!

Mine is built on a Tipro I picked up for fairly cheap.  They've been going for far too much lately though, closer to $25-30 than the ~$15 I think I paid for mine.

I can make one or two jailhouse blues easily, as I've got a board's worth of them already, but I have no free Blues to use :(  If anyone could spare a blue switch or two, I could mod them and send to Nubs.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45992.msg966197
I use 45g springs for them to avoid cutting stock springs.  A couple would be good--I'd leave one with stock 60g spring and do one with a 45g spring to compare.

I've got a few on hand to make my own.  I think it will have to be with a 55g spring though.  I'm just trying to figure out the best way to lock it down.  I have a couple left, so I might try superglue on one, solder on another, and something like your o-rings if I have another left.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 20:17:09 »
I added a proper sign up at the top.  So if you're interested make sure to sign up.  Even if I have your username on the list, I still need you to sign up.

I also added something for you Aussies.  If there's enough interest from you, I'll be doing an Australian tour with it.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 20:23:14 »
Signed up!

Offline clickclack123

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 23:22:52 »
There's at least one Aussie signed up now!  :cool:

Offline libz94

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 03:52:48 »
Sadly I just found out about this website :/ Is there any other chance to have a tester like this to get somewhere in Europe? Would be interesting.

Anyway really nice idea.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 10:08:22 »
Is there any other chance to have a tester like this to get somewhere in Europe? Would be interesting.

You could try your luck at Deskthority. They're more European oriented. That being said, I'm considering doing some form of an international tour with mine.

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 10:16:54 »
Signed up.
When do you expect to be mailing this out, Nub? Can't wait to try 'em :thumb:
Again, thanks so much for organizing this!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 12:00:31 »
Signed up.
When do you expect to be mailing this out, Nub? Can't wait to try 'em :thumb:
Again, thanks so much for organizing this!

I've been waiting for a few more people to sign up and those who signed up in here to fill out the sign up form.  Right now I only have 4 people signed up on the list.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 12:10:15 »
Make it 5.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 22:22:53 »
It’s slightly off topic but.. it would be awesome to get a custom plate or two cut which could fit an assortment of Alps, SMK, Futaba, Cherry MX, etc. switches, and custom PCBs, and then try to give some idea about effect of plate mounted vs. PCB mounted vs. plate + direct wiring  on the feeling, as well as different switch types, etc.

As far as I can tell, previous switch-try bags have been of loose switches, which makes it hard to get an idea what they feel like when installed.

Also, on this current switch tester, it might be nice to add one each of stock red/brown/black/blue/clear with lubricant applied, or at least 2-3 of them, so someone can get a basic impression of what difference that makes. And maybe include some o-rings.

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 21:10:49 »
+1 on the lubing idea

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 21:17:00 »
Don't have enough room on the tester to lube.  And at this point, it would be too much work.  Maybe on a future try if I do a bigger one.

Offline Jalberstone

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 21:29:38 »
I filled out the form yesterday but forgot to post about it!  :D

Offline Comment

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 22:13:32 »
Dat first post. Grats and looking forward to the review!
Check out my WTB/WTS/WTTF Thread!

HHKB Pro 2                 Noppoo Choc Mini

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 26 January 2014, 21:35:55 »
Dat first post. Grats and looking forward to the review!

Yeah--I can't wait! Expect a nice long review haha :P

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #43 on: Sun, 26 January 2014, 21:38:00 »
PMed you with my address.

Edit: Also filled out the form again.

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #44 on: Sun, 26 January 2014, 22:02:59 »
This is something I have to try since I'm get a topre board and I want to have something to compare it too!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 09:07:57 »
Alright, I'm giving this until the end of the month to let any dawdlers to sign up.  In the first week of February, I'll the be sending it out to the first person on the list and will be sending out PMs to each person who signed up with shipping info for the next person on the list. 

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 20:03:43 »
Sweet! Can't wait for it :D

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 21:50:43 »
Tomorrow is the last day to sign up.  After that, I will be shipping it Saturday to a random person on the list and will be getting the order all lined up and shipping info passed on to everyone.

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #48 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 05:43:45 »
Tomorrow is the last day to sign up.  After that, I will be shipping it Saturday to a random person on the list and will be getting the order all lined up and shipping info passed on to everyone.

Random?  :(

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #49 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 08:55:35 »
Nothing is truly random.

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 09:51:06 »
I was just expecting to get it first with my first post :))
No matter. I can wait :p

You also have a pretty good geographic layout if you look at the first three people on the list.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #51 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 01:25:26 »
I was going to drop the try in the mail today, but the UV group buy orders came and sorting that took priority.  This will be going out sometime next week unless I get sick or something else happens.  Until then, sign up is still open.

Offline domesticbark

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 19:25:58 »
:( Are you planning on running the switch tester around for awhile or will it just be these few people? Maybe in a few months I can be established T.T

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 19:49:22 »
I may let more people join later since I expect it to take a couple of months to make the full rounds.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 23:13:39 »
you are a hero, nubbinator! The community needs stuff like this!
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Comment

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 23:50:19 »
you are a hero, nubbinator! The community needs stuff like this!
I agree, there are definitely a bunch of people out there doing great things that need more praise.
Check out my WTB/WTS/WTTF Thread!

HHKB Pro 2                 Noppoo Choc Mini

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 01:20:26 »
This is perfect cuz I was contemplating for weeks if I should get a green switch in my spacebar and the rest of the board being blues. I hope I am reputable enough to sign up.

Also, does anybody have any experience with greens and could tell me right away what they think about having a green in the spacebar?

And is the sign up still open?????
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 February 2014, 01:25:56 by Folio »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 07:38:03 »
Also, does anybody have any experience with greens and could tell me right away what they think about having a green in the spacebar?

I like uniform boards. So the keyboard I have with Greens have Greens on all the switches, including the spacebar. It's one of my daily drivers so I think it's fine.

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 07:55:34 »

I like uniform boards. So the keyboard I have with Greens have Greens on all the switches, including the spacebar. It's one of my daily drivers so I think it's fine.

I think he was talking about having a green on the spacebar with blues for the rest of the board.
My old das had blues everywhere, including the spacebar. This didn't feel too light. Lots of people use greens for the spacebar, though. I think a handful of ducky mx blue boards come stock with greens for the spacebar. It really comes down to personal preference. Best way to find out what's best for you: buy a couple a green or two and try it out for yourself.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #59 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 13:19:52 »
Here's the order for the tour:

Tacticalstache
riotonthebay
Luis911
1pq
CPTBadAss
Folio
smferris
jacobolus
Sniping
semyorka
Gameaholic
mooswa
Jalberstone

I'm starting it across the country and bringing it back to me.  It's going out today, so it should be started before the end of the week. Please remember to do a mini review of the switches.  They're so close in weight on a lot of them that it will be interesting to see what kind of difference people notice.

And some of you live closer to each other than you  might think.  Tacticalstache and riotonthebay, you guys are practically neighbors and Luis911 is right there by you too.  jacobolus, Sniping, semyorka, Gameaholic, and Mooswa, you guys are all right in the same area with each other.  It might be fun to do a mini meet up with each other.  And since you all live so close to each other, I know who to send to beat the tester out of you if you don't send it on to the next person ;)

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #60 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 13:27:03 »
YGPM, nubs!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #61 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 13:32:20 »
YGPM, nubs!

Responded.  And so everyone knows, there will be a small delay at the beginning with riotonthebay.  Something came up that will cause a delay.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #62 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 15:11:56 »

YGPM, nubs!

Responded.  And so everyone knows, there will be a small delay at the beginning with riotonthebay.  Something came up that will cause a delay.

Hopefully it won't actually be any delay to the one-week-per-person timeline. Tacticalstache, don't rush yourself sending it on to me, as I won't be able to collect it until the 18th ;).

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 16:30:53 »
Nubs, can you possibly post a time line so we can see when to expect the tester at the latest if everyone had it for one week? Thanks.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #64 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 08:39:30 »
I LIVE

AND THIS THING IS BALLIN'

I'll keep it for a week from today, if there are no objections, I have some buddies who might want to try

And holy crap, ROTB lives much closer to me than I previously thought. Maybe we can save on shipping by meeting up ;D

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 08:54:07 »
I'd be happy to meet up :). PM me when you're ready to pass it on and we'll figure it out.

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #66 on: Wed, 19 February 2014, 17:21:24 »
Did you end up including the jailhouse blue? What "jailing method" did you use?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #67 on: Wed, 19 February 2014, 17:37:00 »

It's solder locked

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #68 on: Wed, 19 February 2014, 17:39:41 »
Oh wow. Can't wait for your review on all of those switches, but especially the jailhouse.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
Community Cherry Switch Tester 2014
« Reply #69 on: Wed, 19 February 2014, 17:53:20 »
I'm very excited for this, and for comparing the jailhouse blue from this with those in my JD40. So far I love them but am glad that I only had to make 40 of them.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #70 on: Wed, 19 February 2014, 17:55:02 »

It's solder locked

I see you popped it open

...you cheeky bugger.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #71 on: Wed, 19 February 2014, 17:57:05 »
THE REVIEW

Red: It's an MX red, I like it. I use them all the time

Black vs vintage black: new one feels like an MX black, vintage feels like MX blacks that have been used a lot (see: my QFR)

Linear grey: Scratchier than I expected, but I still like it. Kinda heavy for my taste.

Mixed weight blacks: 45/55 are too light for my taste, 62 is perfect and I'm gonna order some 62g springs for my QFR, 65 is great too, 67 and 80 are too heavy.

Brown: I don't know what I was expecting

Mixed weight browns: I don't like any of them as much as I like the normal one. 45 and 80 are especially lame.

Clear: Now this I can get behind. That bump is wonderful

Mixed weight clears: everything between 55 and 67 is awesome. the 62 and 45 one get stuck, which is strange.

Blue: This is a lame example of an MX blue. It's less tactile than my camo, which is odd

Mixed weight blues: The click changes! I'd use 45g blues just because of the sound. but 62g is nice too, eveything else is pretty average.

Green vs 80g blue: There's a difference. You'll notice it.

Tactile grey: sooooo heavy wow

White: Quieter blue. I kinda like it

Mixed weight whites: Nevermind I don't like it. Really shows the inconsistency of the clicks.

Jailhouse blue: GIVE ME MORE OF THIS

Ghost black: That's neat. But too heavy.

It's solder locked

I see you popped it open

...you cheeky bugger.

You wrote that in your key, silly

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #72 on: Wed, 19 February 2014, 19:00:23 »
Sometimes I forget things.

And I should have laminated that key.
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 February 2014, 19:03:40 by nubbinator »

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #73 on: Wed, 19 February 2014, 19:07:08 »
Ah, it's a legend for the switch types? Just put it in the OP so people can print a new one if it gets worn out.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #74 on: Wed, 19 February 2014, 19:36:17 »
Ah, it's a legend for the switch types? Just put it in the OP so people can print a new one if it gets worn out.

I went low tech.  Pen, paper, and ruler.  Oh, and some high tech clear tape.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #75 on: Wed, 19 February 2014, 19:42:43 »

I went low tech.  Pen, paper, and ruler.  Oh, and some high tech clear tape.

Got it. I'll try to remember to scan it, then. :thumb:

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #76 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 14:22:59 »
You guys are making me ancy to get my hands on this thing. Seriously cannot wait.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #77 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 19:44:14 »
Switch tester has been handed off to Riotonthebay. We talked about ripster, endgame customs, my ironic HHKB, and a bunch of other stuff. Generally a pretty cool guy. I look forward to hanging out with him again.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #78 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 19:49:53 »
Pretty ****in cool.

Jk just pretty cool. We might meet up again in the future as well to show off more wares.

Looking forward to spending some time with this thing :).

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #79 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 16:20:01 »
Switch tester review

Instead of running through all the switches (my first inclination), I'm going to break them down by switch type and talk only about the particularly impressive and disappointing switches. Assume things I don't mention fall between "meh" and "okay".

Linear:

I have very little experience with linear switches. I don't game much anymore, instead spending my days programming and writing, so I opt for tactile or clicky switches. The Vintage Black has convinced me that linear switches might be worth a try. The "modern" black next to it is noticeably scratchier by comparison. I think the added weight as well would make it reasonable for typing – I think my fingers could learn to recognize the force required to actuate the switch without bottoming out. By comparison, the 45g Black is light to the point of absurdity. I don't think I could even rest my hands on a keyboard with those without depressing them all.

(Quiet) Tactile:

I'm more familiar with tactile switches than anything else. My first board had Browns and I've since tried 67g and 62g lubed Clears.  Since getting used to clears, browns hardly feel tactile anymore. When I met up with TacticalStache, he showed me his keyboards. At one point he handed me a board and I started typing, and asked, "so these are Reds?" and he was like, "no, Browns." Anyways, I don't care for them much anymore. None of the different weights did them any favors as well, and I think they just got worse as they got heavier (even less tactile).

The Clears were fine. I think they all could have used lube, especially the lighter ones. 45g is probably too light regardless, and was noticeably sluggish on the way back up. The 62g also tended to get stuck, or felt sticky. The tactile Grey was nice. I have 5 of them from mk.com that just came in actually, and plan to put one in the spacebar of a Clear board.

(Clicky) Tactile:

The Blues were mostly fine. I noticed that the lighter ones clicked inconsistently. (My general opinion from all this is that 45g springs are too light for everything.) To be honest, all of them fall roughly into the "meh" category. The Green was fine, but I'm now confused by every comparison I've read of Greens to Buckling Spring. The latter is far superior.

I don't like Whites. All of the Whites I've tried, including the ones included, click inconsistently. I like the idea of a "soft clicky" switch, but I don't like the idea of having to desolder repeatedly to replace switches that start to click funny.

The solder-locked Jailhouse Blue is very nice. It was my favorite clicky switch included. The tactile bump starts at the very top and is very pleasant. It's hard to get the full effect of this change though with only a single switch. I put 20 gauge brass wire-locked Jailhouse Blues in my JD40, and lubed them with a Krytox mix. When you lube them the click tends to disappear, so mine feel more like my 67g Clears with the tactile bump near the start. I think that I prefer them to the un-lubed switch included here, but I might change my mind if I had an entire board of these.

As a whole, I'm not particularly impressed by Cherry's clicky switches (except the Jailhouse Blue). I'm sitting next to a desk with a Model M and a bag of Complicated Blue Alps sitting on it, and both of those are superior to the Cherry switches. Compared to these alternatives, the Cherry switches feel gimmicky. (Unrelated to this switch tester, but I'm so taken by these Blue Alps that I've set the gears in motion to get a Duck Mini V2 to fill with them.)

Final thoughts:

Mr. Nubbs, thank you for putting this together! It's a lot of fun to be able to try all these out side-by-side.

Luis, the testers will likely be headed your way either tomorrow or Tuesday morning. I'll PM you tracking info when I have it  :thumb:

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #80 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 16:32:21 »
Nice review! Can't wait to get this after luis. I was wondering, though, how to jailhouse blues click if the two parts are locked together? I thought the clicking from blues was from the white plastic part slamming against the blue stem.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #81 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 16:33:18 »
As a note, jailhouse blues vary based on how you make them and on the spring you use.  If you don't add enough material between the blue and the white parts of the stem, there will remain a soft click, but I think it's difficult to keep it consistent.  If you add enough that the two parts are no longer mobile with respect to each other--there is no more click.  Without any lubricants.  My preference is for non click variants.  45g springs are perfect for Jailhouse Blues for me, as the modified stems are longer, which results in the spring never being fully relaxed.

Discussion on JB nuances here:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45992

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #82 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 16:41:52 »
Nice review! Can't wait to get this after luis. I was wondering, though, how to jailhouse blues click if the two parts are locked together? I thought the clicking from blues was from the white plastic part slamming against the blue stem.

As Photoelectric mentioned, if there's not enough material between the two parts of the stems, they can still click.  That's why I liked the solder locked JHBs.  It's much easier to refine the amount of solder added to ensure that it doesn't click.

And I probably should have lubed the board.  Lube can make a dramatic difference in feel.  If I can find a cheap donor board in the future, I'll probably do one with lubed and unlubed switches so that you can get the full effect.  Unfortunately I haven't seen any Tipro or Cherry POS boards that were big enough yet and under $50.  While popping them into a plate is nice, a switch try really needs a PCB and case to get the full feel of it.

Offline luis911

« Reply #83 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 19:38:06 »
Hey guys, Just got the switch tester today. I have to work on some homework so I wont get a chance to review it tonight, but I'll try to get to it by Saturday at least. For now, I'm pretty excited about recieving this tester. Prior to this event, I've only used blue and White switches, so this was a great opportunity for me to broaden my knowledge on switches.
Check out my website FDMPrints.org

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #84 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 20:22:17 »
Maybe we could each pitch in a few bucks / switches to put together a custom plate/pcb/case that would fit a variety of Cherry MX, Alps & clones, SMK “monterey”, Omron alps-mount, clicky Futaba, NMB space invaders, etc., and thus make a more full-spectrum kind of switch tester.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #85 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 20:28:00 »
Something like that would be pretty awesome.  Finding the switches would be tough though unless people were willing to chip in some they have or we found someone willing to give up a Mr. Interface Switch Try Bag.

The problem with adding a PCB to that mix would be that not all switches have the same sized gap between the plate and PCB, so it would have to be a plate and some sort of base that it would be mounted to without a PCB.  I'm also not sure how well some of the switches might survive a transplant, but it would be an awesome project and a fantastic community resource.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #86 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 21:53:16 »
Something like that would be pretty awesome.  Finding the switches would be tough though unless people were willing to chip in some they have or we found someone willing to give up a Mr. Interface Switch Try Bag.
Well I could contribute one each of about 9 types of Alps switches, Matias clicky & quiet, SMK “monterey” blue/white/lock, maybe orange Omrons (I have 4 of them but might want to use them all in a project), 3 colors of Futaba clicky switches, 4 types of Cherry MX switches. I’m sure we could find someone to toss in a few other types of switch, and a couple dozen people to toss in $5 each or something, to pay for pcb/plate.

As you say, it might require 2-3 different sections of PCB to account for different sizes of switches.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #87 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 07:29:08 »
I have a Ducky 1087XM I was going to turn into an Alps switch tester, if anyone is interested. I'd be happy to contribute it to this new suggested Alps tester.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #88 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 07:44:41 »

I have a Ducky 1087XM I was going to turn into an Alps switch tester, if anyone is interested. I'd be happy to contribute it to this new suggested Alps tester.

You know I have some blues, and I'd be happy to donate a small handful :).

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #89 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 07:49:23 »

You know I have some blues, and I'd be happy to donate a small handful :).

Yes, how thoughtful of you to send me free Blue Alps. Please send them to my address. 80 was the total amount right?  :))

But seriously, that'd be cool to have on the tester. If people want to send me Alps switches, I can start to build this when I'm back. Or we can figure out how to include things like SMK Monterey and Omrons onto the board as well. Perhaps I take off the PCB, and file down the plate. Then build the board up without the PCB?

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #90 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 08:08:59 »
Hmm, I think I'd prefer soldered so that the switches don't wiggle at all in the plate.

Anyways, just ping me when you're back in town and ready to get started :)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #91 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 09:00:24 »
Hmm, I think I'd prefer soldered so that the switches don't wiggle at all in the plate.

Anyways, just ping me when you're back in town and ready to get started :)

You can anchor the switches to the plate without soldering them to a PCB, but soldered is generally nicer.

I have some original Black MYs I can kick in if I can figure out how to pop them off and will have to look around and see what else I might have.

Offline Rena

« Reply #92 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 09:05:33 »
Very interesting to see a tester with various weighting on switches. If I wanted a tester that large though I'd probably want more than just cherry MX switches.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #93 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 09:11:34 »
This current one I'm passing around has various weights of switches.

Offline luis911

« Reply #94 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 20:01:53 »
Reds
This is my first time trying out linear switches. I gotta say, I always thought linear switches would suck but they dont feel bad at all. They feel smooth and butter, but without the tactility I wonder how easy it is to miss a key and have it not register.
Black
Just like reds, but the higher spring constant sure makes them feel a bit more "premium" for lack of a better term. Vintage blacks are amazing I have to say. Where can I buy them? are they just lubed blacks?
Browns
Scratchy. Feels cheap. Do not want.
Clears
I have to say, these feel like well made browns. I can see myself typing on these all day.
Blues
They are ok, but the high pitch sound gets annoying after a while.
Greens
High pitch click with a higher spring constant. Need I say more.
Tactile Greys
These are way too strong for me. No thanks.
Whites
I likes my whites.(My Ducky Shine 3 has whites)
Jailhouse Blues
What is this?
Ghost Blacks
OMFG WANT. Can I keep it?  ;D

Thanks allot Nubbinator. I've had my fun with the switch tester, now its time to pass it on!  :thumb:
Check out my website FDMPrints.org

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #95 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 11:29:55 »
Please let me know through PM or through a post here when you get the tester and please PM me when you send it on, preferably with a tracking number.  I want to make sure things are moving forward. 

Edit:  I was just informed that it was just sent out, so we do have forward progress.
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 March 2014, 11:45:32 by nubbinator »

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #96 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 13:25:45 »
Please let me know through PM or through a post here when you get the tester and please PM me when you send it on, preferably with a tracking number.  I want to make sure things are moving forward. 

Edit:  I was just informed that it was just sent out, so we do have forward progress.

Who's next in line?

Offline Misterorjoe

« Reply #97 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 13:46:19 »
I would love to get in on this.

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #98 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 15:05:54 »

Who's next in line?

Yours truly. Haven't got it yet, but I'm looking forward to it! After me it goes to the Badass Captain.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #99 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 15:13:56 »
Make sure CPT is back in town before you send it out to him. (I don't know how long his trip is.)

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #100 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 15:18:24 »
signed up!!!
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

« Reply #101 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 23:00:32 »
Just signed up! Is it still possible to join the tour? This looks like an awesome tester!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #102 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 23:36:04 »
The tour is closed.  I may make a round 2 out of the new sign ups.

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #103 on: Tue, 11 March 2014, 16:13:49 »
Just got it yesterday. This thing is awesome! I'll be posting my mini-review in the next couple of days.

Offline zeroni13

« Reply #104 on: Tue, 11 March 2014, 16:52:36 »
To bad I'm in the EU, I definitely want to try this sometime! And I have to give it to you Nubs, well done on the tester!
Phantom with Silver Vortex Case   Keychron Q6 Pro ISO Knob

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #105 on: Tue, 11 March 2014, 16:57:02 »
OK, here's my review:

Linears:

My only experience with linear switches has been with vintage blacks, so when I tried out the stock red and black, they felt gross and scratchy. I think I'm spoiled now and would have to use lubed or vintage switches if I were to use linears. It's hard to tell with this switch tester, but I much prefer stock reds to any other weighting. Since it's kind of annoying to try to float without tactility, it's best to have a fairly light spring since you're bottoming out on every stroke—that's why the reds are my favorite. 62g is OK, but it's actually slightly too heavy for me. 55g feels great. I might try getting some 55g springs and tearing the vintage blacks out of an old cherry board to get the perfect linear switch :thumb:
Oh—and ghost reds! They're OK. A bit too heavy for me. I don't think I'd use them unless I were trying to float on linears. I bet they'd be good for gaming, actually, since it's easy to sit around the actuation point.
I also forgot linear greys. The only thing these switches seem good for is spacebars. They're ridiculous for an entire board, unless you're the hulk.

Tactile:

I've typed on stock clears and 62g clears before. While I enjoy both, the stock clears are a bit too heavy for me, so I prefer the 62gs. On this tester, the browns were completely new to me. I've heard a lot of bad things about browns, but they don't actually feel that bad. I can see why they feel like a red with a grain of sand stuck in them when you press the key extremely slowly, but at normal speed, they feel like reds with a hair of tactility. I think they'd be very nice and light, and would prevent some of the false actuations you can get with reds.
The clears were...odd. I'm not sure if they're vintage clear stems, but they felt much different than my new (but worn down) clears on my filco. They just felt less tactile and scratchier than any clears I've used, and the 62g one was very sticky. I think they're either vintage or very worn down, because mine stick with any springs less than 62g and no lube, and these didn't stick at all, even with 45g springs. I'd have to say, if you haven't tried clears before, I don't think that this tester gives a good impression of stock clears new from the cherry factory. Perhaps it gives a good impression of vintage clears. It's hard to say since I've only tried new ones.
Also, tactile greys feel like heavier clears. No me gustan.

Clicky:

My first mechanical keyboard was a daskeyboard with mx blues. Since I've tried other switches, clicky switches have become very "meh" for me. I hate the sound, and I dislike that the tactility decreases with lower weighted springs. The greens and 80g blues are also just too heavy for me.
The only clicky switches that I liked were the whites and the jailhouse blues. Some people might criticize me by saying that I only like the rarer switches because they're rare, but I legitimately prefer whites because of their softer click, and I could see myself using 55g or 62g whites in the future.
The jailhouse blue was very cool. Since the actuation point is right at the top, and the force required after the bump gets up to a similar level as at the actuation point, it seems like it would be quite easy to float with these. They also feel more tactile than other comparably weighted clicky switches.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #106 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 11:39:37 »
Make sure CPT is back in town before you send it out to him. (I don't know how long his trip is.)

Just so everyone in this tour knows, I am back in the States.

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #107 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 11:43:34 »

Just so everyone in this tour knows, I am back in the States.

Welcome back.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #108 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 18:52:47 »
Just FYI everyone, I got the testers today. I'm thinking I might take the full week with the tester but we'll see.

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #109 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 19:20:40 »
Just FYI everyone, I got the testers today. I'm thinking I might take the full week with the tester but we'll see.

Glad it arrived intact. When I got it, some of the switches (jailhouse blue and ghost red) were falling out of the plate (on the supplemental tester), since some of the cutouts are a bit loose. Just be wary of that when repacking, etc.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #110 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 19:41:54 »
Knew I should have super glued those in place too.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #111 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 15:22:21 »
Oh ****, I didn't realize it was a week today. I wont' make it out of work and get to the PO in time today. It will go out tomorrow. Sorry, I ****ed up :(

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #112 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 16:56:19 »
Oh ****, I didn't realize it was a week today. I wont' make it out of work and get to the PO in time today. It will go out tomorrow. Sorry, I ****ed up :(

BANNED FROM TOURS

jk I should be banned because I've not left a review of the blue Alps yet :(

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #113 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 17:49:33 »
Do you still have that? I wanna check it out.

You said you'd tell me  :'(

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #114 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 17:51:02 »

I FORGOT!!!

sorry :(

But it's okay because I have a Blue Alps 60% now. PM me if/when you want to check it out :)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #115 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 17:52:03 »

I FORGOT!!!

But it's okay because I have a Blue Alps 60% now. PM me if/when you want to check it out :)

It's cool, PM inbound.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #116 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 19:51:33 »

Only watch if you delight in swear words:

I FORGOT!!!

Can I...can I touch it?  Can I touch your little keyboard?

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #117 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 20:09:10 »

I FORGOT!!!

Can I...can I touch it?  Can I touch your little keyboard?

PM me if you're serious and we can work something out ;).

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #118 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 20:53:09 »
I want to touch riotonthebay's keyboard too!

And as promised, the tour was sent to Sniping today. I'll be posting a review soonTM.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #119 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 15:54:00 »
Here's my quick review of the switch tester. I'll also be formatting this according to the general feel of the switches.

Linear switches: I think that the stock vintage black suited me the best. I'm actually not a fan of the light linear switches like many people are, seeing that 55g vintage black is a very popular choice for linear keyboards. I think that the weight on the vintage black is very close to being perfect for me. It may be a tad too heavy, but they should feel great once lubed. The 55g black switch already felt too light for me, and I know that with lube it will feel even lighter. The difference between vintage black and other switches is very noticeable in terms of the smoothness of the switch, so I think that vintage black should be the go-to switch for every linear switch keyboard.

Tactile switches: To me, clears are superior to browns because of the larger bump, so whatever the weight of the springs are, I will always prefer the clear over the brown. My favorite weight is the 45g for the clears, I like how it's effortless to press yet the bumps is still extremely pronounced and distinct. If I would have to choose a second place in terms of weight for the clears I would choose 67g, The tactile grey was nice, I think that the weight feels pretty good with the big bump.

Clickies: I'm a fan of greens, so stock greens, no blues for me. There was a lot of variation in the clickiness of the white switches, which was a big turn-off for me. I'm not sure if it had anything to do with the weight of the keys, but the 45g white barely clicked at all while the 67g white clicked like a blue or a green. I thought the jailhouse blue was really nice though. I expected it to feel something like a tactile switch, but it was actually pretty clicky and I like how the click moved closer to the top of the switch, instead of being in the middle.

Ghost black wasn't bad, but I still like the vintage black better.

The switch tester will be going out on Monday next week, I have some friends that want to come over and try it this weekend so I'll be holding onto the tester until the end of the week.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #120 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 22:31:37 »
Here's my quick review of the switch tester. I'll also be formatting this according to the general feel of the switches.

[...]

The switch tester will be going out on Monday next week, I have some friends that want to come over and try it this weekend so I'll be holding onto the tester until the end of the week.
Did the order this was going around in change at some point? Anyway, feel free to edit me out of it or bump me down to the end, as I’m going to be out of the country from mid-April to mid-May.

Or if it’s somewhere in the Bay Area, I’d be glad to meet up with folks.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #121 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 01:52:41 »
I should have offered some 45g o-ring mod jailhouse blues for this tester.  Nonclicky, tactile, and wonderful.  The click remains only if the two parts of the blue stem still move with respect to each other.  It's difficult to achieve uniformity if trying to keep them clicky. I much prefer the normal non click version.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #122 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 09:03:05 »
Did the order this was going around in change at some point? Anyway, feel free to edit me out of it or bump me down to the end, as I’m going to be out of the country from mid-April to mid-May.

Or if it’s somewhere in the Bay Area, I’d be glad to meet up with folks.

Not that I remember, but I know a couple people needed to change placement in the list and they might have been one of them.  Unfortunately, I can't access the PMs related to it and am getting error messages when I go looking.

Offline gameaholic

« Reply #123 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 09:45:33 »
Nubbs - did you get my shipping info?  I believe I pmed you but the original post still says you need it. 
IBM Model M SSK, Filco MJ2 Ninja TKL with Reds ergo-clears, CM Storm QFR 55g Whites, Poker II with Reds

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #124 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 01:21:22 »
Here's my review of this tester :D.

I’ve owned my own switch tester for a while and because of the meets I’ve been to, I’ve pretty much tried all the switches on this tour. I’ve also done another spring swap review, which can be found here if you’re interested. But I thought it would be fun to revisit the modified switches and see what I currently thought of them at this period in time.

So to start off, I’m going to list all the switches I don’t like on the tester. Turns out that the switches I don’t like are pretty similar to my previous experiences and tests

Switches I Don’t Like
  • 62g Black – It doesn’t seem to reset properly so it feels odd. The reset feels very off. Like it’s just strong enough to return but not quite.
  • 45g and 55g Blues – The springs are too light and the wonderful clicky-ness that I love in Blues feels very weak.
  • Stock, 45g, 55g, and 62g Brown – All of these switches suffer from my typical complaint of Browns: I don’t think the tactile bump feels right. It’s so weak. At times, especially at high typing speeds, the switches feel linear or linear with an odd bottom out. Like something is jammed inside the switch. It’s almost if the bump wants to be there but it just gives out instead. And the 45g also felt sticky to me.
  • 45g and 55g Clears – These feel too much like Browns. My dislike for Browns can be seen in the paragraph above.
  • 62g Clear – Like the 62g Black, the reset feels weird so it doesn’t feel like a Clear switch to me. It feels more like a Brown switch. The return is just off and the tactile bump feels kind of off as well.
  • 80g Clear – Too heavy.
  • Linear and Tactile Grey – Too heavy. People say that Blacks would be fatiguing to type on for an extended period of time, that’s how I feel about the Grey switches. I do like the tactile bump in the Tactile Grey though. But that makes sense since Tactile Grey switches go in the spacebar of Cherry boards that have Clears in them.
  • Red – Too light
  • 45g White – I think the spring is too light and it doesn’t feel like it wants to reset properly.
  • 62g White – The return/rebound force feels stronger than the actuation force. I don’t like how the forces don’t feel equal.

Switches I Thought Felt Like Stock Switches
  • 67g Black – Felt like a stock Black
  • 80g Black – Felt like a stock Linear Grey
  • 62g Blue – Felt like a stock Blue
  • 80g Blue – Felt like a stock Green
  • 67g Clear – Felt like a stock Clear
  • 55g White – Felt like a stock Blue
  • 80g White – Felt like a stock White

Switches That Surprised me
  • Jailhouse Blues (Solder Locked) – My previous experience with the Jailhouse Blues was less than pleasing. The short throw really wasn’t for me and I didn’t like the cushy bottom out. In this version there wasn’t a short throw feeling at all. This felt like the Alps edition of the MX world. The actuation distance on this switch still feels the same as the other MX switches around it. And the actuation point is shirted to the top now. VERY NICE.
  • Linear MX switch with Clear Spring (Ghost Black) – So I’m a fan of the stock Clear switches and I’m fine with the weight. With a linear stem in it, at the actuation point, the switch almost felt cushiony. It feels so nice. The weight felt fine and I really liked that cushiony feeling.

Switches That I Like
  • 65g Blacks – It’s just a little lighter than stock Blacks but not too light. I think these are my favorite linear MX switches. I have them in my Epsilon.
  • Stock Blacks – I really like these. The weight is heavy. They are very smooth for MX. And they almost feel cushiony at bottom out. I’m putting them in my 1800. There were vintage and modern Blacks on the tester. I’ve got vintage Blacks from another sale. I think that if you can’t get a hold of vintage blacks, just lube the modern Blacks and I think they’ll feel just as nice. They feel different and a bit nicer but not enough to spend all your time hunting for vintage switches.
  • Stock Blues – I have these on my Filco that I use daily at work. These were the first mechanical switches I’ve ever tried and I still really like them. I like the click, the feedback, and the weight on them.
  • 65g and 67g Blue – These felt pretty similar to me. A slightly clickier Blue but nothing too far from the original stock Blues. For some reason though, I liked how the 65g Blues felt. They were somehow….springier? I’m not sure. But for some reason I’m biased towards 65g Blues. Just one of those things I guess.
  • 65g Browns – If Browns have to be in the MX discussion (I’d rather just go with MX Clears honestly.), I think *this* is what Browns should feel like. As stated above, my complaint with Browns is that I feel like half the time I can’t feel the bump in them and they just feel linear. The bump feels pronounced in this variant which I like.
  • 67g Browns – Easily my favorite form of Browns. I like the bump I these and the rebound is wonderfully springy.
  • 80g Browns –It felt exactly like the Clear switch next to it.
  • Stock Clear – This is hands down my favorite tactile MX switch. No need for mods or lubing. I love it as it. Huge bump, nice weight, and is just so much fun to type on.
  • 65g Clear – Feels like the Stock Clear but a touch lighter. Reminds me a lot like the feeling of the 65g Blacks. It retains everything great about the stock switch but is a touch lighter. Plus it was pleasantly springy. Very nice; a nice alternative to the Stock Clear.
  • Green – I have these switches in my KMAC. They feel like heavier stock Blues. Everything I love about Blues but heavier.
  • Stock Whites – I have these switches on my Pure. They feel like Greens but a bit softer and not as loud. I like them when they work and are actually clicky. The QC on these were pretty iffy so I’m glad I got a bunch of extras so I could get a proper White board.
  • 65g Whites – Feels like a nice light version of the stock White. Maybe too light though.
  • 67g Whites – These remind me of the 65g Blacks. I get same feeling I get when I tried those. It’s everything I love about the stock switch but a little lighter, not too light though.
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 April 2014, 12:19:18 by CPTBadAss »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #125 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 01:32:40 »
"67g Clear – Felt like a stock Clear"

That one surprises me a little.  Stock and 67g Clears feel like night and day to me.

I wonder what I did differently with my solder locked Jailhouse Blue that made you like it more.  It is a fun, but kind of funky switch.  I wonder if it's because the solder is a little tighter and gives a slightly more solid feel to the switch.

I'm glad you like the Ghost Blacks/Reds though.  It is such a nice switch and by far my favorite permutation of linear switches so far.  I need to have more converts to my Ghost Black following.  I still prefer Ergo Clears for serious typing, but Ghost Blacks are my favorite general use switch.  At least for MX.

Nubbs - did you get my shipping info?  I believe I pmed you but the original post still says you need it.

Yes, I did.  You should have a PM with the shipping info of who you're sending it on to when you get it.  The order is on page 2.  I probably should amend the OP.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #126 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 04:02:51 »
You sent me shipping info for Sniping, but he seems to have been bumped up in the queue a bit. If you can, bump me down to sometime after mid-May (or off the list). If someone mails me this thing sometime between mid-April and mid-May, it’s just going to sit in a mailbox.

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #127 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 13:57:16 »
CPTBA When am I getting this thing? I AM EXCITE! :rage: :rage: :RAGE:

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #128 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 14:07:40 »
You sent me shipping info for Sniping, but he seems to have been bumped up in the queue a bit. If you can, bump me down to sometime after mid-May (or off the list). If someone mails me this thing sometime between mid-April and mid-May, it’s just going to sit in a mailbox.

Not sure what went on there since I'm getting errors when checking my older messages.  It could be he and someone traded places.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #129 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 14:12:30 »

Huh? I don't have it anymore. I sent it to Sniping who was next on the list in the OP.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #130 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 14:21:25 »

Huh? I don't have it anymore. I sent it to Sniping who was next on the list in the OP.

Oops.  The order in the OP is the sign up order, the shipping order was the one in this post.  People may have lost the shipping info I sent out with the sign up then.

It's okay people, we can recover, we just need to fix the order.

Here's what it originally was:

Here's the order for the tour (people who already went have been struck through):

Tacticalstache
riotonthebay
Luis911
1pq
CPTBadAss

Folio
smferris
jacobolus
Sniping
semyorka
Gameaholic
mooswa
Jalberstone

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #131 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 14:27:47 »
Er...sorry about that guys. Totally ****ed up this tour :(

The good news is that Sniping has it. Just need to get a hold of him. Again, really sorry about that Folio, nubbinator, and everyone else on the tour.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #132 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 14:28:24 »

Aww, hardly ****ed up ;) Don't be so hard on yourself!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #133 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 15:03:47 »

The good news is that Sniping has it. Just need to get a hold of him. Again, really sorry about that Folio, nubbinator, and everyone else on the tour.

Mistakes are bound to happen.  Like I said, we can fix it, it's no big deal.  We just need to have Sniping ship it to Folio and then jacobolus ship it to semyorka.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #134 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 15:04:43 »
Sounds good to me!

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #135 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 16:20:20 »
Here's the order for the tour (people who already went have been struck through):

Tacticalstache
riotonthebay
Luis911
1pq
CPTBadAss

Folio
smferris
jacobolus
Sniping
semyorka
Gameaholic
mooswa
Jalberstone
Yeah.. so bump me to the bottom or off entirely, as I’ll be out of the country until mid-May. Smferris, you’ll want to send it to semyorka or similar.

Offline smferris

« Reply #136 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 11:43:41 »
Yeah.. so bump me to the bottom or off entirely, as I’ll be out of the country until mid-May. Smferris, you’ll want to send it to semyorka or similar.

No problem.  I'll just need to get shipping info for semyorka.

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #137 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 13:02:48 »
Is ok guys. I just gave Sniping my shipping info. Back on track!

Offline semyorka

« Reply #138 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 14:00:02 »

No problem.  I'll just need to get shipping info for semyorka.

PM'd you

Looking for a 1387033...

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #139 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 18:06:51 »
Guess what you guys. I got it! Thanks Sniping!

Uh one thing to note though: in the smaller tester, some switches fell out of the plate during shipping, I put them back as best I could according to the cheat sheet. All the whites feel the same to me anyways. And I don't know if any key caps were switched around between members so I can't go by pictures posted prior to this. Sorry about that Nubb and company! I will post a full review soon.

I'll probably take advantage of the full week to test it out.

EDIT: I'll probably keep it for like a couple more days actually. Not a full week anymore. I'm also gonna throw in a red, blue, and black o-ring underneath the first 3 key caps on the main tester because I have extras and I love dem o-rings. I feel like everyone should have them or at least try them out (my favorite is black). Sorry to the guys before me who didn't get a chance to test those  :-*

Also, there was no key cap puller so I'm throwing in an extra plastic one I have lying around.

I mainly wanted in on this tester to see how greens felt compared to blues. To me, they feel almost exactly the same. My blues on my WASD V1 keyboard actually feel lighter than the tester stock blue however. Hmm... I read that greens are supposed to be around 80g actuation, so I expected it to feel more like the 80g blue on the tester, but the 80g blue felt way heavier. I like that though. I like how all the 80g keys are super springy feeling.

So my main gripe on greens was the fact that they might be too heavy according to a few articles I've read on them being compared to IBM Model M's. But, they actually feel good. The 80g blue actually feels great as well! I'm totally gonna buy a new TKL with all greens now. Thanks for sending out this tester Nubb!

I'll be posting a full fledged review soon. Probably by the end of today.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 April 2014, 08:45:22 by Folio »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #140 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 21:40:24 »
Please don't have the o-rings installed.  Feel free to include them separately, but keep it without them.  I don't want people to forget and wonder why they feel weird.

Offline YuukiHaruto

« Reply #141 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 00:04:09 »
Ohai nub  ;D

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #142 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 00:39:55 »
Please don't have the o-rings installed.  Feel free to include them separately, but keep it without them.  I don't want people to forget and wonder why they feel weird.

Righto

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #143 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 21:47:10 »
REVIEW NOW IN SESSION

Linears

Hate em. I'm so used to tactile keys now that if I don't feel any sort of feedback, I can't assure myself that I've actually pressed the key down to actuation. Just not my kinda pie. I like heavier keys too, but even the 80g Black can't satiate my appetite. It's a nice springy switch, but it still doesn't give me that feely feedback. Nothing much else to say here. Reds are just a lighter black, and blacks are just a heavier red.

Tactile Feedbacks

Never tried browns before this. Tried them now. Hate em. I've heard a lot of things about browns. This constant war between people who love them and people who hate them. I've read more from people who hate them and I can't agree more. It really does feel super scratchy. Like the plunger is too big for the housing. Like some kid trying to fit a cube block shape into the triangle hole on one of those "fit shapes into holes" toys. I don't know man.

Clears are a MUCH better brown. No scratchiness. It really is the perfect tactile key. I love how they feel. It's like butter underneath your fingers. So smooth. Such feel. Much quiet.

The grey switch is weird. I can only feel the tactile feedback when I actuate it really slowly. Otherwise, it feels like a linear.

Clickies

I think blues are a little too light for me now. I feel like I hit them too hard and over estimate myself when speed typing. Greens and the heavier weighted blues on the tester are a delight! Super clicky and super feely. Love em.

The heavier whites are really nice too. I like how they sound, but that could just be because they're not fully soldered into a plate. But they feel really smooth over blues and you still get a nice click (at least on the heavier ones). 80g white is where it's at.

Jailhouse blue is meh. I don't know why everyone on here was so crazy about that one.

Final Thoughts

I really want clears now as well as a heavy white, but I'm just gonna go get a green somewhere. I don't know. Spending too much money lately on keyboards. Damn. I'll be sending this to smferris by this weekend. Thanks again Nubb for putting this out!

Offline YuukiHaruto

« Reply #144 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 23:59:36 »

Tactile Feedbacks

Never tried browns before this. Tried them now. Hate em. I've heard a lot of things about browns. This constant war between people who love them and people who hate them. I've read more from people who hate them and I can't agree more. It really does feel super scratchy. Like the plunger is too big for the housing. Like some kid trying to fit a cube block shape into the triangle hole on one of those "fit shapes into holes" toys. I don't know man.

Pretty much confirms what I said about browns  :confused:
What I don't like. The Brown switch. Just the brown switches.
I absolutely detest it. It's squeaky, creaky, lumpy and feels like reds with sand thrown all over it.
Don't get me wrong, I love MX reds but this is truly horrific compared to every MX switch I've used, blacks, greens, reds, blues and even Cherry ML

I don't get why my friend loves browns so much because my fingers are shouting at me for trying to live with browns. That concludes why I don't like browns.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #145 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 00:03:30 »
The only reason I included Browns is because they're common.  If I had my way, Browns would be extinct and go the way of MX Locks.

Offline Jalberstone

« Reply #146 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 00:13:06 »
The only reason I included Browns is because they're common.  If I had my way, Browns would be extinct and go the way of MX Locks.

I wish you put one of those in there because that would have been cool to try out but it doesn't really matter.  :D

Offline Jalberstone

« Reply #147 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 00:14:25 »

I wish you put one of those in there because that would have been cool to try out, but it doesn't matter because I'm really excited to test this! :D

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #148 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 00:16:42 »

I wish you put one of those in there because that would have been cool to try out but it doesn't really matter.  :D

MX Locks are (almost) impossible to find and tend to be expensive as **** when you do find one.

Offline Jalberstone

« Reply #149 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 00:17:49 »

MX Locks are (almost) impossible to find and tend to be expensive as **** when you do find one.

No worries.

Offline Jalberstone

« Reply #150 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 00:20:31 »

I don't like browns either from my experiences with them so far.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #151 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 01:15:42 »
awesome initiative :j
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline fknraiden

« Reply #152 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 01:33:30 »
i'd love to be able to check it out.

IBM SSK 87'     ReAlForce 55g Silent 10AE

Offline Sniping

« Reply #153 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 02:11:56 »
Guess what you guys. I got it! Thanks Sniping!

Uh one thing to note though: in the smaller tester, some switches fell out of the plate during shipping, I put them back as best I could according to the cheat sheet. All the whites feel the same to me anyways. And I don't know if any key caps were switched around between members so I can't go by pictures posted prior to this. Sorry about that Nubb and company! I will post a full review soon.

I'll probably take advantage of the full week to test it out.

EDIT: I'll probably keep it for like a couple more days actually. Not a full week anymore. I'm also gonna throw in a red, blue, and black o-ring underneath the first 3 key caps on the main tester because I have extras and I love dem o-rings. I feel like everyone should have them or at least try them out (my favorite is black). Sorry to the guys before me who didn't get a chance to test those  :-*

Also, there was no key cap puller so I'm throwing in an extra plastic one I have lying around.

I mainly wanted in on this tester to see how greens felt compared to blues. To me, they feel almost exactly the same. My blues on my WASD V1 keyboard actually feel lighter than the tester stock blue however. Hmm... I read that greens are supposed to be around 80g actuation, so I expected it to feel more like the 80g blue on the tester, but the 80g blue felt way heavier. I like that though. I like how all the 80g keys are super springy feeling.

So my main gripe on greens was the fact that they might be too heavy according to a few articles I've read on them being compared to IBM Model M's. But, they actually feel good. The 80g blue actually feels great as well! I'm totally gonna buy a new TKL with all greens now. Thanks for sending out this tester Nubb!

I'll be posting a full fledged review soon. Probably by the end of today.

About the switch falling out, I saw this happening too when I had the tester. I think it's just the plate being a bit loose, can't hold the switches in 100% when turned upside down and such.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #154 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 08:48:55 »
Yeah, I put superglue on the edges of the top six, but forgot to do it to the bottom two.  If more than the bottom two popped out, we need a new method to try and lock the switches in place so they don't pop out again.  I originally wrapped the little supplemental plate in bubblewrap which should help keep everything in the right place when shipping.

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #155 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 10:57:46 »
Yeah, I put superglue on the edges of the top six, but forgot to do it to the bottom two.  If more than the bottom two popped out, we need a new method to try and lock the switches in place so they don't pop out again.  I originally wrapped the little supplemental plate in bubblewrap which should help keep everything in the right place when shipping.

Nubbs. You want me to superglue them again? I have like SUPER SUPER glue. If it doesn't matter, then I can just wrap it REAL nice in that bubble wrap and tape it up too before putting it in the box.

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #156 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 12:48:16 »
Sup crew. I just shipped the package yesterday to smferris. I will be sending him the tracking info right after this post. I didn't get a chance to superglue the separate tester though. Hope it makes it through ok.

Offline smferris

« Reply #157 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 11:19:58 »
Sup crew. I just shipped the package yesterday to smferris. I will be sending him the tracking info right after this post. I didn't get a chance to superglue the separate tester though. Hope it makes it through ok.

Even the glued ones have started coming loose now, so I'm not sure it would have mattered.  The bottom two on the left column and the bottom three on the right column have all come out.  The keycaps of the ones that are still glued don't match the photo earlier in the thread so trying to match that photo probably won't work.  I'll do my best to get the small tester back in the arrangement described on the sheet, but these are all new to me and I may screw some of them up, so if you're the next person consider yourself warned. :)

Is the red stem the ghost black/red?
Is the green stem the jailhouse blue?

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #158 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 11:50:43 »

Even the glued ones have started coming loose now, so I'm not sure it would have mattered.  The bottom two on the left column and the bottom three on the right column have all come out.  The keycaps of the ones that are still glued don't match the photo earlier in the thread so trying to match that photo probably won't work.  I'll do my best to get the small tester back in the arrangement described on the sheet, but these are all new to me and I may screw some of them up, so if you're the next person consider yourself warned. :)

Is the red stem the ghost black/red?
Is the green stem the jailhouse blue?

I wrapped both testers up pretty tight with bubble wrap and tape hoping it would hold, but I guess it didn't. Those same keys you mentioned were out for me too when I got them. I just assumed that the red stem was the ghost and the green was the jailhouse yea.

Offline smferris

« Reply #159 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 15:41:43 »

I wrapped both testers up pretty tight with bubble wrap and tape hoping it would hold, but I guess it didn't. Those same keys you mentioned were out for me too when I got them. I just assumed that the red stem was the ghost and the green was the jailhouse yea.

Oh, they were probably held in just fine until I unwrapped the tester in a way that rotated it upside down.  The problem with rolling something up in bubble wrap is people tend to unroll it without thinking. :)

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #160 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 18:56:03 »
would love to get in on this
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline smferris

« Reply #161 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 00:38:26 »
I haven't had much personal experience with Cherry switches yet, though I'm trying to change that since several of the keyboards that interest me require them, so I'm mostly judging based on two different testers.  I had tried another tester recently, and had trouble feeling a tactile bump at all on browns.  This tester is nice because it's easy to compare the different switches with similar spring weights, and it was much easier for me to tell the difference between a 45g black and a 45g brown.  Browns still feel very close to linear to me, and I actually prefer a stock black over a stock brown.  A 45g brown tends to feel like a defective 45g black to me.  Comparing a 55g brown and a 55g black, I'm not entirely sure which I'd prefer, so I think part of the reason I don't care for browns is the springs are too light for me. 

Overall I seemed to like the 55g clears the best, so I may be joining the ergo-clear fan club.  The stock clear surprised me.  On the other tester I tried the clear had such a heavy spring that I preferred the black over the clear.  The stock clear on this tester feels much better to me, though I'd still prefer a lighter spring weight than the stock clear.  45g may be too light, but 55g may be a little too much.  If 50g springs exist a 50g ergo-clear may be the best Cherry switch for me.

The reds are too light for me, and the blues and whites are too loud for me.

I didn't care for the jailhouse blue or the ghost black.

I'll be sending the tester on to semyorka in the morning.

Offline gcb

« Reply #162 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 00:20:47 »
I'd like to join also. btw, anyone else into hackspace scene? that can be a way to broaden the audience...

Offline Sniping

« Reply #163 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 00:57:27 »
I'd like to join also. btw, anyone else into hackspace scene? that can be a way to broaden the audience...

It's a bit late and you don't meet the last requirement anyways. 7 posts and a fresh account ain't gonna cut it bro.

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #164 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 01:03:29 »

It's a bit late and you don't meet the last requirement anyways. 7 posts and a fresh account ain't gonna cut it bro.

smferris got in (in regards to his post count). Don't know how, but he seemed like he was capable of handling the tester. But yea it is too late by now to join. I heard nubb was going to make this thing an international switch tester at some point in the future.
« Last Edit: Sun, 04 May 2014, 01:05:05 by Folio »

Offline gcb

« Reply #165 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 01:20:32 »
ah, well, maybe next time then. maybe it is for the best. my wallet thank you tho :)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #166 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 01:27:12 »

smferris got in (in regards to his post count). Don't know how, but he seemed like he was capable of handling the tester. But yea it is too late by now to join. I heard nubb was going to make this thing an international switch tester at some point in the future.

There was interest, but I have to wait and see if there was enough interest. Logistically and cost wise it's more interesting to make it international.

And yes, it closed a while ago.  People who didn't meet the criteria were taken on a case by case basis and some I was willing to make an exception for.

Offline semyorka

« Reply #167 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 16:26:49 »
Hey folks - sorry for the radio silence on my part.  I got the switch tester last Monday, and have been playing with it all week.  Expect a short review soon.

Nubbinator, who am I supposed to send this off to next?

Looking for a 1387033...

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #168 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 17:37:35 »
Awesome!  I've always wanted to try clears with different springs!
Hi :)

Offline feizor

« Reply #169 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 19:48:17 »

There was interest, but I have to wait and see if there was enough interest. Logistically and cost wise it's more interesting to make it international.

And yes, it closed a while ago.  People who didn't meet the criteria were taken on a case by case basis and some I was willing to make an exception for.

I am interested, if you want to make it international  ;D

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #170 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 21:05:34 »
Hey folks - sorry for the radio silence on my part.  I got the switch tester last Monday, and have been playing with it all week.  Expect a short review soon.

Nubbinator, who am I supposed to send this off to next?

Any motion on this?  And who to send it to, you should still have the info I sent you for Gameaholic.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #171 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 23:40:23 »
So, I hit up semyorka with another PM today after my last one has still gone unanswered.  Still trying to figure out what happened with the tester or if semyorka went AWOL with it.

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #172 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 23:51:40 »
I really hope he responds. I mean, this tester was such a nice gesture on your part Nubbs. It'd be a shame if it was stolen.

Offline gameaholic

« Reply #173 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 22:52:03 »
Got it in the mail two days ago.  Give me about a week and I'll send it along.  Who is after me?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #174 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 15:11:32 »
Got it in the mail two days ago.  Give me about a week and I'll send it along.  Who is after me?

Yay, it showed up!  Yours is mooswa.  You should still have the PM with the shipping info in your PMs.  I don't think I have it anymore since I have too many PMs.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #175 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 07:41:35 »
Hooray! It resurfaced!

Offline Jalberstone

« Reply #176 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 00:40:14 »
I need to change my address of where to send the switch tester to. Could nubbinator or whoever is supposed to send it to me pm me before it is my turn and I will tell them the correct address.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #177 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 13:30:53 »
I need to change my address of where to send the switch tester to. Could nubbinator or whoever is supposed to send it to me pm me before it is my turn and I will tell them the correct address.

PM your address to mooswa.

Offline njfn

« Reply #178 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 08:45:19 »
Well, it seems that I am the one with a ridiculous low posts member.

I'm new to the forum and just registered today.  I am from Melbourne, Australia.

I am a CPU collector and I have been collecting vintage chips for over 10 years. I have a good friend in US (Klamath Falls, OR) who can receive and re-ship it to me.

Can I still sign up for this tester?
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 June 2014, 10:47:41 by njfn »
Alienware 14 i7-4900MQ/16GB/256SSD+750HDD/1920*1080
MacBook Pro 15' i7-2.3G/16GB/512GB/NV GT750M/Retina
Logitech G700s / Razer Ouroborous / Logitech MX Revolution
Deck Hassium Pro 108 / KBTalking Pro

Offline Jalberstone

« Reply #179 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 02:04:29 »

PM your address to mooswa.

I did

Offline scaz

« Reply #180 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 09:40:13 »
I would like to try it too.  Let me know how I can pass it along? Does anyone sell them? 

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #181 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 09:47:31 »
It closed  a while ago.  I'll likely be doing things differently in R2 and will only have it open to more active members.

Offline scaz

« Reply #182 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 10:16:50 »
Ok, thank you.  Where can I get testers?  The cooler master one is out. 

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #183 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 10:28:33 »
Ok, thank you.  Where can I get testers?  The cooler master one is out.
Qwerkeys or make your own  like I did.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #184 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 23:54:08 »
Any update gameaholic and mooswa?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #185 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 08:48:21 »
Where is this at?

Offline gameaholic

« Reply #186 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 09:10:46 »
Sending it out to Jalberstone tmrw.  Sry for the delay. 

Offline Jalberstone

« Reply #187 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 23:41:17 »
Cool! I will post when I get it.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #188 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 22:48:50 »
Did this ever arrive?

Offline Jalberstone

« Reply #189 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 00:25:18 »
No I have not received it.

Offline gameaholic

« Reply #190 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 10:22:12 »
Sorry for the delay.  I sent it out the other day and pm'd nubb the tracking number.  My favorite switches were the 55g and 62g blacks and clears.  I definitely like a lighter switch.  I don't mind clicky but if I was going to go back to clicky I would pull my SSK back out.   

Offline Jalberstone

« Reply #191 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 20:11:29 »
I got it today!

Offline Jalberstone

« Reply #192 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 02:33:39 »
Thank you nubbs for sending this out, and here is my review of the switch tester:

Linears: Reds are too light. Stock blacks are nice but vintage blacks are amazing! Linear grey is too heavy. 62g and 65g blacks are also nice. I also like ghost black/red, but I do not think it would bee too good for typing.

Tactiles: I do not like any browns because the bump is just not big enough and I find that I usually do not notice it. Stock clears, 62g, 65g, and 67g clears are my favorites. I would love to type on a full board of tactile greys, for I feel that it would be very hard to bottom them out.

Clickies: I love blues as they were my first mechanical switch I ever tried. I also like 67g blue because the bump feels more pronounced and very crisp. I also like 80g blue and greens. However, 80g blue also has a very crisp bump, but I think the bump on the green is slightly less than stock blues even. I've noticed this in multiple cases where I feel that the bump in greens are slightly less pronounced than blues. Does anyone else feel this way also? I like stock whites, 65g whites, and 67g whites also. The jailhouse blue felt like 67g blue but with a less noticeable bump, so I did not think it was anything special.

Once again thank you so much nubbs for sending this out, and I will ship it back to you on Monday.
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 August 2014, 03:18:02 by Jalberstone »

Offline Scoox

« Reply #193 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 09:09:16 »
I just did a test of the following switches (all stock models):

Linear: Black, Red
Clickies: White, Green, Blue
Tactiles: Grey, Clear, Brown

Reds, as pointed out before, were way to light. Blacks were too stiff IMO, and without any tactile feedback I always end up using more force than is required.

I didn't like the hysteresis of the clicky switches so much, because the finger needs to back off further when releasing the key. Also, it's not great for an audio production facility (my case) were quiet is desirable. But for me the deal breaker here was the fact that this switched is designed in such a way that fingers have to travel longer distances. Still, the blue was my second favourite.

When I tested the tactile switches, I favoured those with a more pronounce bump, so the brown switch got evicted immediately. The grey and the clear seem to have a similar bump, but the grey was too stiff, so I concluded the clear switch was the best for me. Then I did an experiment: I installed the spring from the brown switch in the clear switch. I really like the way this feels. It has the light touch of the brown with a nice big initial bump to prevent accidental key presses and provide definite tactile feedback.

Summary: For me the winner is the Cherry MX Clear with a lighter spring.
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 March 2015, 09:14:13 by Scoox »